PDA

View Full Version : the Sig DAK

Jeff22
12-06-2004, 10:34 PM
My PD just issued the new DAK Sigs in .40 cal, the 226R and 229R.

I ordered a personal 226 and it came at the same time the department guns arrived.

I like the DAK trigger but have experienced some totally unexpected problems getting used to the new trigger system. (I have DA revolvers and SA pistols and DA/SA pistols in my battery, and shoot a variety fairly frequently, and I usually have NO difficulty switching back and forth. I'm quite surprised that it has taken me a while to get used to the DAK system.) ("A while" in this case being a month and about a thousand rounds)

I found that when I really pushed for speed or shot one hand only past 7 yards or shot two handed past about 15 yards, I tended to throw shots high left. (I'm right handed)

And the problem wasn't consistent. Indoor range, outdoor range, wherever -- about 2/3rds of the time I had those fliers high left.

Last Friday morning I was instructing at in-service and had a chance to run about 200 rounds through a SIG 226R-DAK that had a short trigger installed. WOW! I shot a LOT better with it, even at speed and out to 25 yards.

I'm very much surprised. I have big hands and long fingers, so I had not anticipated a problem with the "regular" DAK trigger. But, based on this experience, I suspect that I shoot better with the DAK with a short trigger. And the change in trigger-reach and contour between the "regular" trigger and the "short" trigger is not very significant, but it appears to be enough to make a difference in my shooting.

I have read that all the DAK Sigs that the Bureau of Customs Enforcement ordered all had short triggers fitted. I don't know if that's true, but based on my limited experience, I'd say that was a wise move.

DaveJames
12-07-2004, 01:35 AM
Is this a re-post?, Jeff it works out for most like that,as I answer earlier to your post,{I thought here?} maybe another board. My department has the short triggers on all of ours,and the 2 Dak's we have been testing have them, very smooth and about 6lb pull all the time,,and if it works out like the other SIG's we have after about 1000 rounds it will smooth out more and pull weight will dropp just a tad more

Tex
12-07-2004, 07:17 AM
How's the trigger reset distance?

Erich
12-07-2004, 07:22 AM
I was impressed with the DAK trigger, much more than I thought I would be.

DaveJames
12-07-2004, 02:22 PM
Tex,it may be me but it feels like its just a tad shorter

combat effective
12-07-2004, 02:39 PM
I had a chance to handle the DAK a while back. I've been waiting for them to arrive at my local cop shop since that day.