PDA

View Full Version : Comments: The Tactical Perspective

StealthF2
11-14-2003, 02:01 PM
Ordered it via Gabe's site and it arrived quickly. BONUS: Gabe autographed the inside--thanks! :) I devoured it in about two sittings and although it is relatively "light" in terms of page count, it's fairly hefty in terms of concept. I've read many books that discuss the "killer instinct," but almost as an aside (e.g., "You might have to shoot somebody, but make sure you follow a strict 5-count with proper stance..."). I can see how those whose minds are "not right" would look at a book like this and think that the author and anyone reading it is somehow "off," but the cold, hard truth is that when the SHTF, it's kill or be killed. And I, for one, don't intend to be the killee.

An additional comment on the length: I think Gabe's intent is to make the reader think for him/herself about the personal elements of a lethal encounter, rather than force-feed a particular school doctrine. Which, of course, dovetails nicely with my martial-arts philosophy: "Don't be dogmatic. Learn everything; use what works; discard what doesn't."

I've given a lot of books to my LEO wife to read, but THIS is the one I want her to read most. I hope she never needs to use the concepts, but if she does, I want her well armed.

(edit: I got the title wrong! :rolleyes: )

Seppo Vesala
11-15-2003, 03:12 AM
I think that The Combative perspective is similar to Jeff Coopers´Principles of personal defense. Both are relatively thin books, but are strong in content. They present ideas and principles, rather than certain techniques or tactics. And both are classics in the field of defensive combat.