PDA

View Full Version : practice with your weak hand!

Dan-O
11-23-2004, 01:22 AM
as i was doing routine vehicle maintenance this morning,
i slammed my right hand in the back of a cargo humvee.
this ,made my hand swell up and briuse ect,and is pretty painfull.
this just underscored another reason to practice with both handsFYI..

Jim Linch
11-23-2004, 03:25 AM
It's also a reminder to look for pinch points! :)

Good point though, and timely... I just finished planning to do exactly that with my BUG from a front pocket holster tomorrow afternoon.

Bill Lance
11-23-2004, 05:44 AM
We hear and read allot about shooting with the "weak" or "reaction" hand in case we are injured during the fight.

This post brings up a good point about being able to carry (get a holster for the weak side) and shoot with the weak hand due to a previous injury. A couple of years ago, I hurt my strong-side thumb, and had it in one of those wrap-around protectors. No way to shoot right-handed.
Sad to say, as time has elapsed, my commitment to weak hand shooting has lapsed as well. Maybe this will help me get remotivated.

Bill

Jerry68
11-24-2004, 06:31 AM
And do not only practice shooting with your weak hand. Practice drawing, loading, clearing malfunctions. Practice this also with only your strong hand. I'll have students put their weak hand behind their belt and have them shoot a course strong hand only. Usually pretty easy for them... Until they hit the dud round I loaded into the magazine. The look of confusion is priceless. Most people have no idea how to clear a malfunction or do a reload one handed.

Dan-O
11-24-2004, 07:13 AM
Well,
Now it looks like Im out of action for a bit,some small bones in my right hand are in fact,broken.Also got told that from the x-rays,it looked like I had broken things in my hands before :)
Never got treated.
(Foolish Youth)
Anyhow,if I had a dime for all the times I wished I was more proficient with my weak hand,well....you get the idea.
Now Im sidlined,and I get to be coffee boy.
Practice while you can,there is no better time than before you NEED the skill to have it.
Gabe does teach weak hand manipulation and firing in his classes,man do I wish I went to more classes. :(
All of you,Get out and Train!

Shdwdncr
11-28-2004, 05:59 AM
Well,
Now it looks like Im out of action for a bit,some small bones in my right hand are in fact,broken.Also got told that from the x-rays,it looked like I had broken things in my hands before :)
Never got treated.
(Foolish Youth)
Anyhow,if I had a dime for all the times I wished I was more proficient with my weak hand,well....you get the idea.
Now Im sidlined,and I get to be coffee boy.
Practice while you can,there is no better time than before you NEED the skill to have it.
Gabe does teach weak hand manipulation and firing in his classes,man do I wish I went to more classes. :(
All of you,Get out and Train!

Hey Bro,

I've always believed in knowing how to use either hand to handle the weapons in my possession.
Unfortunately as of late I have not been able to practice much, but I guess after reading about your injury it is time I became more motivated.
Interestingly enough, I can shoot a pistol or revolver quite well with my non-dominant hand, but a rifle is a completely different story, for I cannot hit the broadside of a barn shooting a rifle left-handed.
Good luck to you. I hope that you hand heals soon, and, until it does, that you make good coffee too. :D

Dan-O
11-29-2004, 04:56 AM
Everyone in the military knows what it is like to be a "Broke D**K"
It is no fun,you cant go on missions,you are relegated to an overworked secretarial status.
Sucks.
Everything happens for a reason,this just underscored my need to do more ambi training.

And avoid pinch points :cool:

esq_stu
11-30-2004, 12:49 PM
I normally carry using a strong side belt holster and a BUG in a weak side pocket holster. I am often in situations where access to my primary carry gun will be impeded. For example, I sometimes realize I'm in a confined location where I cannot draw or use my strong side weapon but the weak side is wide open and free to draw and shoot. It happens more than you might expect.

I am not always as aware as I sould be, but when I realize I am in such a position, I run weak-side draw/shoot scenarios through my mind.

And when I go to the range, normally weekly, in addition to shooting whatever other guns I bring (I'm constantly trying different "fixes" and mods on my guns, and then testing them, or league shooting, etc), some of my range time includes practice with what I carry. I draw and shoot maybe 100 rounds or so from the strong side with my primary weapon/holster and I also draw and shoot 50 rounds or so from the weak side BUG/holster. When I do the latter, I try to duplicate the positions I remember having been in when using my strong side will be impractical. I draw from the weak side as if I were in such a position. It takes some discipline, but it feels good when your weak side performance improves noticeably.

jcla4723
12-01-2004, 03:48 PM
LRS and ShdwDncr, how do you shoot the long gun on the weak side with the gas mask on? In my day it was the M17 and was ambidextrous. I'm trying to train all the possibilities, but the new mask has restricted me to a kind of point shooting with the 5.56. Also, do you train with one eye patched?

Chicago
12-04-2004, 09:39 AM
I have a very basic question regarding shooting with your weak hand. If you are right eye dominant, shoot with your right hand, and the left hand is your weak hand, do you still look through your dominant right eye, use your left eye, or keep both open when shooting with the weak hand? My hits at the range are terrible for weak hand, and I was wondering if I am doing something basically wrong.

MTS
12-04-2004, 05:58 PM
I have a very basic question regarding shooting with your weak hand. If you are right eye dominant, shoot with your right hand, and the left hand is your weak hand, do you still look through your dominant right eye, use your left eye, or keep both open when shooting with the weak hand? My hits at the range are terrible for weak hand, and I was wondering if I am doing something basically wrong.
Use your dominant eye. As much as possible bring the weapon over to your dominant eye and avoid tilting your head.

Chicago
12-04-2004, 06:28 PM
Thanks, Mark. I remember you well from Battle Creek last June and I finally bought a Glock 19, per your advice (or was it a threat?) Thanks again.

MTS
12-04-2004, 06:33 PM
Thanks, Mark. I remember you well from Battle Creek last June and I finally bought a Glock 19, per your advice (or was it a threat?) Thanks again.
Let me guess you were the person with the 686 that was having the speedloader compatability problem?:)

Gun Mutt
12-04-2004, 07:50 PM
Having been forced into lefty-only carry by injuries (followed by surgeries :( ) three different times, this is my $.02:

A gun suited for non-primary, one handed usage=$$$
A holster for same=$$$
Aditional practice ammo=$$$
Already having the gun, gear, training, practice & ability to defend you & yours when your primary hand is out of the equation=Priceless!

I've written to thank my instructor who taught me to drop "weak hand" from my vocabulary & showed me the skills necessary to make that a reality each time I've been forced to be lefty-only.

Training point: said instructor cautioned that all non-primary shooting be done one handed as we've all trained our primary thumb to go over the backstrap. Sooner or later one will slip that thumb over what would be the backstrap but is now your other hand & you can jam your semi-auto. One of my injuries was to my wrist & my right hand was wrapped in one of those leather & metal palm cups. During a dry fire session, I decided to see how well I could aid/support my left hand & in just a few draw strokes found my right thumb over my left hand, directly behind my G27's slide. Once again, the teacher was right & all my left hand shooting & practice is left hand only.

Chicago
12-05-2004, 11:12 AM
Mark-Absolutely! Not only did I get the Glock, I also bought a proper speed loader for the .357. Amazing what having the proper equipment will do!

jack76590
12-05-2004, 01:17 PM

I had to get a pistol to see what I do. I am right eye dominant and right hand dominant. When shooting left handed I bring the gun over to be in front of my right eye. I often end up bending my left wrist back to get the gun square behind my right eye. This bending can lessen control, esp as most people have less strength in their non dominant hand. But I can generally do pretty well with an auto, but double action revolver is harder for me and cocking revolver would be no fun either. Also while I am not a fan of point shooting even with strong hand, I would be horrible point shooting with weak hand as I really need sights to line up target. But if you are concerned about being able to shoot decently weak handed I would factor this in when you chose between revolver vs semi-auto and chose caliber. For me revolver is tougher weak hand and a hard thumping gun is also harder to control weak hand. Factor against semi-auto may be potential to limp wrist and get failure to feed with weak hand. However this has not been a problem for me.

MTS
12-05-2004, 01:34 PM
Mark-Absolutely! Not only did I get the Glock, I also bought a proper speed loader for the .357. Amazing what having the proper equipment will do!
Great! Will you be back for CRG II in August?

Chicago
12-05-2004, 01:40 PM
Mark- Yes, sir! I'm looking forward to it-probably shot about 3,000 rounds since June.I just hope Gabe has forgotten about me....LOL

MTS
12-05-2004, 04:18 PM
Mark- Yes, sir! I'm looking forward to it-probably shot about 3,000 rounds since June.I just hope Gabe has forgotten about me....LOL
I wouldn't worry about it.:)