PDA

View Full Version : Mook Jong!

M700
11-13-2003, 12:57 AM
Anyone else here using a Mook Jong or some other form of training dummy?

I've been training with Joseph Simonet for three plus years but as a cop working rotating shifts I can't always get to his gym on a regular basis. For those times when I can't work out with him, or his staff or top-level students, I find the Mook Jong to be a great way of staying sharp.

Among other things, Simonet teaches what he calls the "Slam Set." This is an aggressive attack set that combines pieces from several different disciplines. Lots of Wing Chun, Silat and some Muy Thai. The wooden dummy in my garage allows me to practice at full speed, and full power, and when I simply can't get to the gym during regular hours.

Like many guys I've had a home gym for many years - mostly just a set of weights and a bench. There's also a heavy bag for the past few years, and more recently, the Mook Jong, which I built myself using input from Simonet and also from Mike Janich's book.

The wooden dummy in my garage serves to let me train when I can't get to Sifu's classes, and lets me practice full speed/full power at any time. I heartily recommend the Mook Jong as a training tool. Paladin Press has Simonet's video on the ever-evolving Slam Set. Regards, Guy

mako25
11-13-2003, 06:29 AM
I have done some training on a Mook Jong, be "he" was actually made of PVC. I'm planning on making my own before the end of the year, to add to my home training routine.
The nice thing about the PVC man was that we could put training sticks and knives in the end of his PVC arms. It was also lighter and could be moved around easily.

dave-mo
11-13-2003, 06:56 AM
What exactly IS a mook jong and how can I make one?

sanchezero
11-13-2003, 08:42 AM
http://www.txwingchun.com/location-woodendummy.htm

There are lots of ideas about how to make and use these. Traditionally it's a ving tsun (wing chun, wing tsun) tool to help refine one's technique. Now, everyone likes 'em for different things.

M700
11-13-2003, 10:40 AM
dave-mo, a Mook Jong is a wooden training dummy. They've been around a very long time. I've been told that Bruce Lee used one for his training - darned if I know.

Mike Janich has a book, published by Paladin Press, that shows how to make several different types.

If you're at all handy with tools, it isn't a big project. I spent about $40 - $50 and a couple of hours and presto, had a Mook Jong up on my garage wall. There are simple versions (like mine) and more complex versions that sell for up to about $1000.

The basic idea is a log that resembles the size of a torso and head, and anywhere from one to three or four or even more "arms" protruding from it. The "arms" represent either arms, or legs, depending on how they're placed on the dummy, and what technique is being practiced.

I used a 9" diameter log, about 5' long as the torso. Mine has three "arms" of 1.25" diameter dowels, about 14" long. Two are high and one is lower. My dummy is mounted so that it is about my height, 6', and so that it can move when struck. This last part is very important. If the dummy is solidly planted in concrete or something, and cannot give, it's going to be very tough on the trainer, and you will not want to deliver full force chops, elbow strikes etc... Mine is on 1"x4" boards, mounted to 4x4's attached six feet apart, to the garage wall. The 1x4's allow a few inches of flex when I hit or kick the dummy, protecting me and adding a little action. The dummy could also be padded - but I've chosen to leave mine as natural wood. The arms can also be set up to move a bit when hit - which again, is easier on the forearms.

To get the most out of the training dummy - you should refer to someone who trains with them - and have them show you how it is done. There are many, many variations on what kind of training can be done with the dummy - all sorts of combinations of strikes and blocks. If you're going to build or buy a wooden dummy I highly recommend Simonet's training tapes and Janich's book. Simonet's tapes are avail through Paladin Press or at http://www.kifightingconcepts.com

Regards, Guy