PDA

View Full Version : How did you become a Christian warrior?

Redman1959
11-17-2004, 04:35 AM
After reading the thread on pacifism, I was thinking, wouldn't it be great to share how we came to be Christians with a warrior heart? If this has been done before, I haven't seen it. With some attention to PERSEC, here goes:

I was raised Catholic. My mom was Catholic and my Dad was Lutheran. Back in the day, the RC church required my Dad to sign papers before he could marry my Mom that he would support my Mom in raising us Catholic. That said, I attended an all male Catholic HS. While there, I became convinced that there was no God. Later, in my senior year, I had a conversion experience in a series of events, one of which was almost freezing to death. The same friends who led me to the Lord(Christian,Non Denom, as my dog tags would later read) would later challenge me to become a conscientous objector.

Following HS, I enlisted in the USN, and after a year found myself as a Plebe at the US Naval Academy. I was active in Navigators, but during Plebe boxing, actually sparring with a guy, was invited to visit a church in town that was to become my home church in Annapolis. While on liberty, I visited the folks who had led me to the Lord, who were attending U of Maryland and a church in College Park. Their church had just had a teaching on what it meant to be a Conscientous Objector. They had decided that was what God wanted for them to be. I went back to Annapolis with a huge burden. I had allready decided to become a Marine, but was now struggling with whether I should abandon that path and become a CO. I went to one of the elders of my church, and asked him what he thought. I was now deciding whether to become a CO and give up my chance at an education and a career as a Marine. His advice was just what I needed to here at this point in my life. He told me that I was now a man, and that I would have to hear God for myself.

I went back to the hall, opened my Bible, began to pray, fast and seek God. Within three days, I had my answer, I stayed at Navy and was commissioned as Marine three years later. I visited with my CO friends even as attended Basic School and Infantry Officers Course at Quantico. When I returned from Beirut/Grenada, they were very concerned for me. The concern was that I would not be able to build the temple with blood on my hands. They are still my friend, and we occasionally communicate. I have four kids and a wife, we shoot as family, have a heavy bag in the garage and the kids take Tae Kwon Do. My friends have always been respectful of LE and the military and seem to have mellowed on their pacifistic position over the years.

With whats going on in Iraq/Afghanistan, I run into people all the time, who are concerned for their boys being drafted and having to fight. I always point out to them that there are worse things than dying for your country, like being murdered or watching the ones you love suffer, because you are unwilling to protect them.

S/F
Redman

mkirk
11-17-2004, 07:49 AM
Good story Redman. It reminded me of this: Luke 3:14 Then some soldiers asked him, "And what should we do?" He replied, "Don't extort money and don't accuse people falsely--be content with your pay."

I grew up thinking Christians were required to go through some kind of pussification ritual upon salvation. Where they had to learn to act weird, talk in King James English, and dress funny. At 20 years of age I found myself in a strange place. I became a Christian but didn't like Christian people. Most of them seemed out of touch with reality.

At the time I was an EMT with a local Sheriff's dept. (1989) one night I wrestled with the Lord for what seemed like hours. The session ended with me giving up and telling Him that I would do anything he wanted me to do...... "but please don't make me a preacher, I want to be a warrior". I had no idea what that would entail or even what I was really saying but it was a memorable and life changing experience.

I desperately wanted to go into full-time ministry but that's not where the Lord led me over the next several years. I eventually became an infantry soldier, police officer, and LEO instructor. There were many bumps in the road, and it was hard at times trying to love God with my whole being and live in the real world (the part most people don't see - the blood, tears and fecal matter associated with 2am call-outs.) I made many mistakes but through it all I grew in grace and knowledge of who God is.

Looking back, some of the best warriors I've met were unassuming preacher types who stood firm in the faith. They were honest, unpretentious and humble men. Being around them was like being around the Lord himself. I'd like to be like them someday.

-mkirk

Jack Rumbaugh
11-17-2004, 04:36 PM
I always knew I was a little different than the other folks at church and my association with Gabe over the last couple years has firmly established the warrior with a servant's heart.

Jack

Gabriel Suarez
11-17-2004, 04:54 PM
I've been a warrior for a long time. Its been my only continual interest since childhood.

I became a Christian warrior one long and difficult night at the crossroads when in the midst of the fog of war, God called me and asked me to join His army. Its an interesting story that will be told one day soon.

I thank Him every day I breathe for that call. For His glory!

2 Samuel 22:40 For You have girded me with strength to battle. You have subdued under me those who rose up against me.

michael
11-17-2004, 05:42 PM
I was raised in a good family, but one in which I only attended church occaisonally with my Grandmother. My mother died when I was 13 and my dad when I was 14, so I began questioning how could God take away everyone I love? I raised myself from that point and didn't attend church until college. I was saved while attending college and even helped teach a Bible study class for kids for a little while. I began working in security and then law enforcement, where I spent the next 12 years. I found out working security that I enjoyed a good fight, and the more danger, the better I liked it. Police work was a natural fit, as was SWAT. I drifted from my faith for many years and chased every woman I thought was cute, even when I was married. I was a bad boy. On SWAT, I was involved in a shooting on a SWAT mission and took a life. I should not have been able to do what I did--reaction time says it can't happen. It was not possible. The girl I was seeing at the time was a Christian, and after much discussion, convinced me that God gave me the speed and accuracy to prevail, not my own hand. All the little nuances assocaited with this incident convinced me that it was He guiding my hand. I gradually returned to the faith over several years, married a good Christian woman, and have been growing stronger in Christ ever since. He is my rock and my fortress!

Gabriel Suarez
11-17-2004, 06:08 PM
"....not my own hand"

I know it now, but Oh how I would have loved to know that years ago! Right on!!

Redman1959
11-17-2004, 07:12 PM
mkirk,
The elder I spoke to regarding my decision was a strong and wise man. There were many like him, but almost all of the strong men were first generation Christians. You struck a cord with the remark about resisting pussification. With God's help, I married an excellent woman, also a first generation believer and we have set it as our mission to not raise second generation Christians. They need to be able to stand on their own feet and think for themselves. The males especially must know how to defend themselves and stand up for their little sisters and what is right. My boys and I have been active in Royal Rangers, and I thank God for this ministry. As mentioned in another thread, my nephew just went to PI. He seems to be doing well from his letters and I credit that in large part to his dad and Royal Rangers.

Psalm 18:34 He trains my hands for battle;
my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

mkirk
11-17-2004, 08:33 PM
Redman,

Excellent word bro! My oldest is four and I hope to be able to raise him as a first gen Christian too. I just put my three to bed and am packing for the sandbox (PSD gig). If I could teach him just one thing, it would be that live or die, follow God! His grace is sufficient.

Good thread!
Mike

Dan-O
12-05-2004, 06:27 AM
For me,being a Warrior was something I had to take a long roundabout way to come to terms with.

I just never fit in with "Sheep"
I despise the "Wolves"
Guess that leaves "Sheepdog"?

Belief and faith have been solidly cemented by some things Ive seen and done here in the Box,or rather things Ive been able to do,and others havent been able to do to me.

After watching so many others hurt/killed,and me in similar situtions not even a scratch,I came to the conclusion that I was just not lucky enough to be that good,it had to be God watching over me and protecting me and guiding me.

Now I just have to accept this,and honor it by doing my duty as a warrior and learning to be a good Christian.

DBK
12-05-2004, 02:08 PM
I started reading Gabe's replies to threads. Then I looked up the Chapter/verse he listed and became convinced there was something to "this Christ thing".

From there, it wasn't hard.

nightowl
12-05-2004, 03:48 PM
Inducted into U S Air Force at birth by Flight Surgeon, moved around in Air Force circles around Pacific Ocean, came to Christ overseas on Air Base in Japan through a Christian Chaplin, came Stateside and met some pacifists at the church I was going to when I was a senior in high school (I deeply suspect two of her cousins are up on the Wall) and some other reservations that have coincided with similiar situation in later life.
I've been Military-oriented all my life. That similiar situation crystalized my warrior outlook for all time and to train in that way of life. No more "Please Mr Please".

Steve Collins
12-05-2004, 04:55 PM
I was raised in the church, and even in my church youth group was the warrior and protector. I was the shooter and the fighter. Then I left home and joined the Army, went to Desert Storm, and came home again. I became a chaperone for my youth group then, along with some of the same friends I was there with as a teenager. I carried a gun there and the youth leader was glad I did, what with some of the places we took our kids.

My pastors when I was growing up were shooters, but I don't think they knew I was carrying when I was there. If my mother had known she would have been mortified! :)

I was always a little on the outside, a little different, a little apart. I've known for a long time that God loves His warriors, which I've been thankful for many times with some of the mistakes I've made! :o Guess I don't know how to be anything else.

lead_magnet
12-07-2004, 08:27 AM
Was neither, untill i joined the army, where they brought out the warrior in me. I also became a christian there. The 2 best days of my life happened there, along with the 2 worst days of my life.

Neither christianity nor warrior has left me. though i have developed a strong dislike of the US gov. ;)

Rokgrunt
12-14-2004, 06:16 PM
I was raised to be a Christian Warrior, not by formal instruction, but by the examples set by the male members of my family.
#1- Faith in the Living G-D.
#2- Fight for right until victory or your heart pumps
air.

mornhinweg
12-24-2004, 08:56 PM
minor involvemnt in Church as a child, was confirmed in Lutheran Church because "it was time". Did one enlistment in US Navy, 56-59 aboard USS Noa DD841. Patrolled in the Gulf of Aquaba when the Marines went ashore in Lebanon in 58. Gave up on Church as irrelevant till smacked up side the head by the Holy Spirit 2x4. Ran back to Church. Eventually entered Sem. Was ordained in 92. Now retired and recently completed CCW training.
Back in the Navy we were proud of our ship and very confident. We would have fought. In our naivete we were ready, willing and able, but never called upon. I suppose I should thank God.
I've noticed a number of posts proclaiming a certain degree of "not fitting in" at some point in life. I understand.
God bless all.

Dale Fricke
12-31-2004, 01:04 PM
The Warrior: I was always interested as a kid and had a tremendous desire to learn to fight and liked it when I did always stud up for the underdog.
Studied M-Arts for years in 1979 I went to GS and was introduced to Jeff Cooper, Chuck Taylor, and SMGs by my Brother Mark that’s all it took. I trained and learned to train became an Instructor among other things.

As to the Christian: Got Saved 9 ˝ years ago at the invite of Chuck to Calvary, it was the 1st time I heard the Gospel. I too thought I had to be some kind of pacifistic wimp to be called Christian I have never been so wrong. What a Warrior we have in Jesus!!!

Met Gabe because of the unspeakable place (FS) became fast friends that went south and God had other plans for us.

Thus the Christian Warrior

Cold War Scout
12-31-2004, 01:54 PM
Had to think twice about responding, because of the emphasis on Christian, but I think I qualify.

I was raised as a Roman Catholic. While I don't practice to the extent of being a churchgoer, when push comes to shove, the bottom line is I am Catholic and that's what I stand for.

Grew up in a housing project in the Southeast bronx from the age of 7 until I joined the Army at age 18. Mostly got beat up whenever trouble appeared. Usually they were older and more numerous. Not sure I ever won a fight in my life. By the time I was 18 though I had become reasonably innured to any fear of ass whippings and pain. Spent 6 years in the Army as an 11 Bravo. Since I grew up without my father, this was pretty much the first time I had much in the way of father figures in my life. And they were stone cold warriors. LRRPs. Rifle company commanders. Rifle squad leaders. Rifle platton sargeants. People like SGT Rasler, SFC Greer, SGT Mobley, SFC Omboy, Capt. Dale Hill and SFC Ashby molded me into the person I would ultimately become. From them I learned honor, respect, courage, sacrifice, and internal fortitude. Several years after I left the Army in 1978, I secured my current position in law enforcement. My Southeast Bronx upbringing and experiences, mixed with my Army time, has served me rather well for the past 25 years. I owe a hefty measure of thanks to an FBI agent named Tom Lagatol for teaching me very physical defensive tactics during several training courses. I have successfully worked the streets in NYC, Miami, DC and Baltimore. This past year, in training with Gabe, Tom Sotis, Crafty Dog and Mike Janich, a further transformation and sense of direction has set in. One that I hope will allow me to do a better job when/if that life or death moment arrives.

I have only one prayer of God in life: "Please don't let me go out like no punk."

mornhinweg
12-31-2004, 02:19 PM
Hey Cold War Scout, spent my first 12 years at 168st. and Collage Ave. Went to PS 53

Cold War Scout
12-31-2004, 02:28 PM
Morn:

Monroe Projects (Bruckner Blvd. and Rosedale Ave) and P.S. 100. Went to DeWitt Clinton H.S. (before magnetometers went up).

Alma the Younger
12-31-2004, 10:27 PM
Like many of those who have posted their stories, I too have felt what I can only discribe as the call of the warrior in my heart. All my life I seemed to be drawn to the warrior arts. It came so natural to me that I had a hard time understanding why others didn't feel the same way.

I remember a time when a group of friends began bad mouthing guns and basically vocalizing all the political correct notions regarding weapons and the desire to use them. I was confused and frankly, dismayed that the people I respected were so against what had always seemed good to me. Unfortunately, instead of speaking up I retreated into myself and remained hushed regarding my feelings for many years. It seems strange, and a bit comical now when I think of it, but even small things like picking up a copy of Solider of Fortune was a covert action. I swear, the PC crowd had me so wrapped around a pole that sneaking a peek at SOF was like looking at pronography.

I had always been reglious, even though I went through a rebellious period when I was 16 and 17 YOA. Then early one morning I found myself on a beach in Baja Mexico surrounded by beer bottles and unfamiler people. As I spied my surroundings I had an epiphimy. In it I felt as though God put a choice before me, either turn my back on the life I was living and devote myself to Him or continue down the path I was on and die young. That night I answered His call and turned my back on everything that led me to that beach in Mexico.

While getting my life together I decided to read the Book of Mormon. In it I read many stories about warrior prophets, God fearing and rightous men who fought for their freedoms, families, land and religion. These teachings were unmistakable and clear. They taught that evil is preditory by nature and is never satisfied. Evil will consume all in its path until it is destroyed, either through its own weight or by rightous men. Once again I felt the flame of the warrior ignite within me, but this time I understood its eternal calling. Suddenly I knew that it was nothing to hide, but like my testimony in Christ it was to be embraced and allowed to shine forth proudly.

Since that time I have adopted the screen name you see on my posts. Call it a nom de guerre , or a reminder of who I want to be like. Alma the Younger was one of those warrior prophets who both preached to his people and testified of Christ, but also swung the sword in defense of his freedoms and beliefs. As the scriptures say, there's a time for all things...I know that there are times for teaching the word of God and testifying of His plan, but there is also a time for swinging the sword in rightous anger against those who would enslave us and take away our rights. Whether that enslavement is temporary, as when we are being robbed or assualted, or when our freedoms are assualted and our enemies demand that we deny the Christ...it matters not. As we are taught, where Christ is, there is freedom. We were born with the spark of the divine in us and given free agency to choose as we may. I can not concieve of a God that would have us lightly surrender that precious endowment.

419!

Dale Fricke
01-01-2005, 12:57 PM
Had to think twice about responding, because of the emphasis on Christian, but I think I qualify.
I was raised as a Roman Catholic. While I don't practice to the extent of being a churchgoer, when push comes to shove, the bottom line is I am Catholic and that's what I stand for.

Hey CWS how are ya?
I saw your post great stuff!
The Pastor in me cannot help but make sure that you and all that read this understand what a “Christian” is. :cool:

I am NOT trying to start a fight but I am bound as a Minister of the Gospel of Jesus Christ to speak the truth! :)

Catholic, Baptist, Lutheran, Methodist, Nondenominational, and/or Calvary Chapel for that matter does not make one a Christian. (Sorry I missed some no offense)
Only one that believes all have sinned a fallen short of the Glory of God, (save one) that you have sinned and are/where at odds with God.
Rom 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
Rom 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
Jam 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one [point], he is guilty of all.
Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin [is] death; but the gift of God [is] eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Jesus sinless died on a cross for those sins and rose again 3 days latter and lives today.
Rom 5:8 But God commended his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
Rom 5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
(Acts 4:12) Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

A Christian believes in his/her heart and confesses with his/her mouth that Jesus Christ is Lord! No more! No less!
Act 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Rom 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
Rom 10:11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
Rom 10:12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.
Rom 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

IF you are not sure then say this prayer or something like it.
Heavenly Father
I am a sinner in need of a Saviour.
Please forgive me of all my sins.
I believe that your Son the Lord Jesus Christ died to pay for my sins.
I trust Him now as my personal Saviour and Lord.
I ask Him to come into my life and Reign.
Amen!

If you prayed this prayer then welcome to the family of God and you now are a Christian Warrior! Don’t stop, Pick Up Your Bible and read John (All) just to get to know Jesus.
I recommend a bible teaching Church one that goes threw the entire Bible page by page but pray that God will show you what Church He wants you in and Go!!!!!!!! Every time the doors are open.
If I can help any of you with this please pm me!!! :D

Your Brother In Christ

jklinstein
01-07-2005, 03:42 PM
Hello,

I have not posted here before, and upon seeing this thread decided that this would be a good place to start.

I grew up in a religious family, going to church and learning to "be good". During high school one of my sisters gave me a tract, but I just laughed at it. It wasn't until I went to college that I was again confronted with the claims of Christ and the good news of salvation. I was a college freshman, on the way home from a Tang Soo Do pratice when a friend invivted me to an evangelistic meeting in the student center, and there I came to know the grace and forgiveness of the Lord Jesus Christ. That was 24 years ago and my faith has persevered to the present with no sign of diminishing.

In the next years I drifted toward pacificism. It wasn't until after I had been married and had children that I began becoming concerned about protecting anyone from harm. It was a stalker going after my sister and then the scare of Y2K that opened my eyes to how my responsibilities would require me to get prepared for many possible adversarial circumstances.

Jacob (a pseudonym)