PDA

View Full Version : Underwater Glock

BWayne
11-12-2003, 11:11 AM
-----------------

Bodfish
11-12-2003, 03:37 PM
According to the book, Glock, The New wave in Handguns, by Peter Alan Kasler (pp265-266), Glock made some special parts ("amphibious firing pin spring cups")associated with the striker mechanism to facilitate underwater fire. As noted by Mr. Kasler, underwater discharge of a firearm would severely damage the eardrums of the operator if adequate ear protection is not used. If a weapon weren't modified to permit underwater firing, water would cause enormous resistance and excess pressure, probably resulting in catastrophic failure. I don't understand how these special parts would solve the pressure problem. They may just be for faster drainage after emerging from the water. In any event, discharging a firearm underwater would appear to be very unsafe and unneccesary.

John Silver
11-12-2003, 04:10 PM
I actually know a few guys who have done this, and they claim it's not a big deal.

I believe the firing spring cup (or wahtever it is called) is relieved on the side so as to allow water to flow around the striker, thereby keeping up speed for proper primer detonation. Rumor is that Glocks fire just fine underwater with stock parts, and that the modified firing pin cup was made at request of some special amphibious unit - want to say SBS, but could have been the SEALs.

Take it with a grain of salt, as I don't have first hand experience with this. Anyone got a pool? :D

I was working in a gunstore when the part first came out. Of course, it was a new gizmo and everyone wanted to take a look at one. Glock guarded that thing with their lives. If memory serves, you had to request it on departmental letterhead. Don't know if the piece is even made anymore, or how hard it is to get. I'll have to ask Glockmeister next time I'm over there, just for kicks.

All of this begs the question of WHY is this necessary?

Anthony
11-13-2003, 01:25 PM
Has anyone heard of a Glock pistol being modified such that it can fire underwater? It would seem to me that firing a pistol underwater would be of very limited value, but perhaps there is some value to it. Comments anyone?

David DiFabio is correct in saying that the pistols won't blow up if fired underwater.
I have amongst many thousands of gun rags ( sorry - mags ) an old one where a gunwriter was reviewing the first stainless .45 ever made.( Not a Colt ! AMT or Randall I think.) Anyway, he had the bright idea of shooting it underwater, - it was STAINLESS !
The article was full of pictures of him with aqua-lung, mask, ear defenders, shooting the pistol seated on the bottom of a pool !
I don't remember if it cycled properly. I do remember that the bullets slowed down so quickly, that they stopped after several yards.

Getting away from this type of nonsense, - must have been "fun" for the writer anyway, the reason for these modifications, and others to other guns, is to make them more reliable having been totally immersed in water, and perhaps even retaining water within the working parts, at the moment of firing.
It is not unusual for SBS/SEAL teams to swim to their target with their firearms totally underwater ( as they themselves are ) but the firearms are ready for instant use ( not kept in waterproof bags ) at the beach, oil-rig, or whatever.

A pistol or sub-machine gun ( suppressed ) would probably be the first gun to be brought to a ready position, whilst longer firearms ( if carried ) were being unslung.

Talking about rifles. Any input David - reference a high-powered rifle being fired under-water ? No; I'm certainly not volunteering to try !
Anthony.

Black Horse
11-13-2003, 07:33 PM
I happen to have a set of the hydro cups for a glock 9mm if anyone is interested never been used new in the wrapper......

Scout
11-13-2003, 09:52 PM
Count me in as having shot the sucker underwater, it was a big deal until I did it. Nothing special.

The firing pin cups are just cut/relieved to let water flow around them, making the firing pin function more reliably under water.

Cope Reynolds
03-01-2009, 10:21 PM
LOL! This a mighty old thread but I'll contribute anyway.
I have shot many, many rounds UW and while fun and interesting, just about all the crap you read about purely BS. AR-15, SKS, shotgun, Glocks, 1911, SIG, BHP, revolver, etc, etc. We actually have a feature length DVD of us doing it. There is footage from both above water and from UW. We test numerous rounds for distance, penetration and function.

Here's a short clip of some of the 1911 shooting...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Desertscout1/?action=view&current=ASF_1911RR.flv