PDA

View Full Version : cane

randy
09-27-2003, 04:17 PM
have any one of you heard of some of the old euopean martial
arts using a cane i found someone who teaches and reseaches
irish stick fighting using a cane or a short club that the irish
use to use in there faction fights.the french and italians have
there own style of cane fighting too.its fun and you learn interesting history.the cane was called a bata and it was usally
made of blackthorn.and the good thing is a walking cane is legal
in most areas.

Seeker
09-27-2003, 05:44 PM
Several Korean Martial Arts specifically, Hap ki do and Kuk Sool Won, use the cane as one of their weapons. I personally carry a Canemasters Cane. See www.canemasters.com for details

Pikal
09-27-2003, 08:45 PM
I love the cane.
A lot of people fuss and fidget that "well a younger guy with a cane looks suspicious" - BS. I'm a younger guy, have been walking with a cane for several years - never had anyone react negatively. Anyone asks, I screwed up my knees working in the corral (its the truth, sort of, I do have some torn cartilage in one knee, or did) .
My own method of cane work comes from stuff I've found thanks to the net or my library, and worked with in my own training - I have yet to get any formal training in the cane.
Basically a take-off/first strike from a relaxed, tip on ground position (http://www.donrearic.com/cane1.html), with Fairbairn short-stick methods (http://www.gutterfighting.org/fstick.html),and similar, a lot of work with the top-end and the tip, two-handed grips and smashes with the middle, and some single handed whacking but not a lot, and with a crook top some smashes/hacks with the front of the crook like it were an axe. Also been playing with some Argentine reverse-grip cane methods (http://www.selfdefenseforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4221) lately, using straight-canes.
No matter what I am working with there are two things I try to do in stick work, 1. always have at least one hand with a solid grip on the stick. Nothing precarious or loose, a hammer-grip or equal. 2. nothing real fancy, like spinning, twirling, trying joint locks, apply it like WW-II Combatives, forward and hard, use the middle, use the butt and the point, poke, smash, strike, bash, etc. I would use a cane in executing a choke IF the very right opportunity presented itself, but beyond that, I am a striker/poker/stabber with a cane. I have nothing against moving limbs witht he cane, but thats just clearing, not trapping/locking.

Yeaah... I like the cane.

Don Rearic
09-28-2003, 08:22 AM
Morgan,

Good grief, Man, you're everywhere. You're Pikal, huh? Who woulda thunk it? :D

Pikal
09-28-2003, 09:25 AM
Hey Don, good to see you here too.
Yeah, figured I'd try a new handle here - keep everyone on their toes ;)

Rusty
09-28-2003, 10:13 PM
Shillelagh, ehh? ( turning up hearing aids ).

Try a 33 inch ( or to your own height ) 40 ounce +/- cane from Mendowood. They make imitation blackthorne sticks by glueing hardwood inside galvanized steel tubing, and then covering it over with epoxy. They also make shillelaghs like from the oulde sod only better. http://www.mendowood.com/

Vig Creed
10-04-2003, 09:04 AM
Anybody have any experience with the Cold Steel "CITY STICK"? It's made of unbreakable black fiberglass with a stainless steel ball head.

creed

gumshoepro
10-10-2003, 09:04 PM
Greetings. I am a practitioner of a Shaolin Kung Fu system known as Choy Li Fut. CLF uses both empty hands and many types of weapons, including infantry sword (dando), double daggers, spear, staff (chau sot), fan and many others.

I am presently learning a form using a standard, curved handle cane. The cane form I am learning is considered an advanced form in CLF, although I am only about halfway to my black sash in the system. I particularly like the cane form for several reasons, including the following:

1. I am older and Buddha-shaped, so my carrying the cane does not appear odd.

2. The form is very fluid and usable.

3. The cane is an excellent weapon, with straight thrust strikes executed with the tip of the cane, overhead and side strikes and traps with the curved handle and baton-like strikes with the shaft of the cane.

Generally, I am not much of a weapon person, preferring empty hand, but I really like the cane and the double daggers. The cane is by far the most practical weapon in the system, as far as I am concerned.

Best to all.

Bob

B0486
10-25-2003, 07:36 AM
I have two canemasters canes.
The hickory heart instructors cane with sharks teeth, etc. in the cane as well as the training walnut cane of the same size.

The walnut cane is much lighter for the same size, in other owrds, the hickory heart instructors cane is very dense, and I believe will take more punishment before it can be broken than most canes out there.

The blackthorn canes are of interest to me as well.

As I wear orthotics that are custom made daily, I'll have no problems with questions regarding the need for one if asked.

The cane is one of four items listed by the FAA as acceptable to bring onto the plane. It is a medical devise to their thinking and can not be taken from you when you board, as long as you don't attempt to get a sword cane on board. I'm sure they check the cane and hand it back to me, besides, I'm of the age where I would not be questioned why I would need a medical aid.

Brownie

SAWBONES
10-25-2003, 01:08 PM
I have several Canemasters canes and a Blackthorn stick which I've carried on domestic and European airline flights and throughout the USA and Europe.

Always acceptable, never questioned except once, by an officious stewardess who asked me if it was a "prop". (I told her "yes, it props me up".)

Bill Stringer
10-26-2003, 04:10 PM
I've used a cane for many years. My favorit is the Blackthorn from cold steel. My training in the Bujinkan brings the cane on line quick and hard. And as you all hve said low profile and I've been asked to leave it out side in my truck.

silat1
10-27-2003, 02:38 AM
I've used a cane for many years. My favorit is the Blackthorn from cold steel. My training in the Bujinkan brings the cane on line quick and hard. And as you all hve said low profile and I've been asked to leave it out side in my truck.

I haven't had the opportunity to try the blackthorn or the cane masters canes for this specific question.. The cane I use primarily is a kamagong (filipino Hardwood) cane with a hand carved checkered grip that runs from the crook of the handle to the head of the cobra that is on it.. I usually get most of my stuff custom made when I am in country due to having instructors who know woodcarvers and such.. I went to a rattan furniture factory where I chose a good stout piece of rattan and had it cut to length so I can have two canes made with it.. The pieces I have are flexible and weigh about as much as the rattan stick that Cold steel had a while back as a walking stick.. I had the hook a little extended so it could be used as a safety hook as I work around different environment where a hook can come into use when boonie stomping or using it to grab a rock or something as a stepping stone when walking along the cliff line.. So far hasn't let me down yet.. OH yeah, the extended hook also is great for persuading the bad guy to leave you alone when you hook the leg or neck and apply a twisting action.

Bill

Ted T.
10-27-2003, 08:13 AM
My first impression of Irish stick use, Batta, was "They must be crazy!" :) I'd sure like to see them in action.

I stick with Fairbairn and a bit of Styers tho I use some FMA for warm-ups. Actually, I guess I hit like a baseball swing a bit more than they do...