PDA

View Full Version : Ground combatives for police (DVD)

Seppo Vesala
11-10-2003, 05:26 AM
Producer: LOTI group, 2003

Instructor: Chuck Habermehl

In this film, Chuck Habermehl concentrates in situations, when a police officer is on the ground fighting with a suspect. The system concentretes on six different positions, where in three positions the LEO is at advanteged position, and in other three, he is in disadvanteged position. The positions are:
-Mount position, where the bad guy is lying on his back, and the cop is straddling him
-Side mount position, where the suspect is lying on his back, and the cop is lying partially on top of him, and partially on the ground
-Guard position, where the cop is lying on his back, and the suspect is on his knees, betweet the officer´s legs (so that he can control the suspect´s movements)
These are the three advantaged positions, and the disadvantaged positions are the same, but with roles reversed. As you can see, these six positions cover perhaps majority of the situations, but not all (for example, a situation where cop is lying on his stomach, and the baddie is on top of him).

Despite this shortcoming, there is much material in the film. It can even be argued that there is perhaps too much in one film. This is OK and fine as long as someone eliminates some of the techniques and chooses beforehand only some of the techniques to practise on. But if someone tries to learn all of the techniques in the film, that is counterproductive. I think that this film would serve you best if someone (your departments´ use of force instructor preferably) would choose the best techniques, and then he would pass them on. But this material is way too much to learn in a short time, in my opinion.

Because of the vast amount of tehcniques in the film, there is not enough time devoted to one technique. Of course, you can always rewind the film, but more detailed expanation of tehniques would have inceased the value of the film. (For example, there are several occasions where Habermehl tells that ”I´m placing my this leg in here”, without describing the action better verbally. Of course, you can check the action from the screen, but it would be pedagogially better to verbally describe the action). Also, there are no reviews of the techniques, or any other more detailed description. Instead, they jump into the next technique. The techniques seem quite realistic (there are some very interesting chocke hold techniques, for example), but they are presented in such a rapid fire manner, that you have hard time grasping them. It would have done good to limit the techniques (or to make this a two-tape / DVD set) to make room for more detailled presentation of tehcniques.

At the end of the film, there is over 20 minutes where they prove that these techniques work in full uniform and gear also (in the majority if the film, they are wearing PT gear). I think this section could have been left out, and they could have worm the uniforms during the whole film. There is one interesting feature, though: In this section, Habermehl gives some instruction on placement of gear on your belt. This is something I have very rarely seen in other films or read on any books. There is not much on that subject, though.

In conclusion, I would say that the main problem of the film is that they have included too many techniques in the film, which in turn has created the need to present the material in too hurried manner.

Run time: 2 hours

Format: DVD

DVD extras: no extras