PDA

View Full Version : a few questions re 32acp/380acp

Dave Williams
11-07-2003, 01:21 AM
Hi there,

Is there any real difference in effectiveness between the two cartridges?

Also, is ball the best bet from these little guns, or is there a JHP loading that is better?

This is for a BUG role.

Thanks,

Dave Williams

Loudernhel
11-07-2003, 07:24 AM
I can't answer your question but I'd be happy to hijack your thread...

It occurs to me that I can find fewer and fewer justifications for the .380 cartridge these days. Glock, Kahr, and (dare I mention) kel-tec all make 9mm guns that are around the same size as a .380 autoloader. In terms of "practical concealability," I think they are about the same.

Just an observation.

John Silver
11-07-2003, 07:34 AM
With ball, I doubt there is much difference. More $$ has been put into making good hollow points for the .380, and it is smidge larger, so I would favor that.

And, yes, there still is a time and place for carrying a .380 - specifically a Walther PPk in a shoulder rig while wearing a tuxedo. A little style never hurts - I like mine stainless in a black Galco rig. :D

MTS
11-07-2003, 10:36 AM
And, yes, there still is a time and place for carrying a .380 - specifically a Walther PPk in a shoulder rig while wearing a tuxedo. A little style never hurts - I like mine stainless in a black Galco rig. :D

And what will you be having to drink this evening?:p

Paul Gomez
11-07-2003, 11:43 AM
Except, James carried the 7.65mm (.32) version, which had a "delivery like a brick through a plate glass window" as I recall. He also didn't need the "power of the .38" explaining why I chose the PPK over the S&W M42. Those wacky Brits, again.:)

Agencyman
11-08-2003, 06:01 AM
Only thing keeping a .380 in the fray is that the P-3AT,

http://www.kel-tec.com/p3at_pistol.htm

which is smaller and lighter than anything else by far. I have a P-32, and it is truly a 24/7 for those reasons. I will soon change that to a P-3AT, and really want get a Kahr PM4032 as soon as I can afford it. I use the Para P-12 with Pow'rBall as the light clothing choice. But even the Kahr is too heavy and thick for some FL summer situations. It might be left in the car. I know the purist says to never compromise, but the P-32 is the first one I could ever keep with me ALL the time.

Now compare the bullet weight and velocity of the .380 with 60 gr.Magsafe to the 32NAA, (both around 1400).

Both of these do seem to put the 32 ACP out to pasture.

I just wish a 60 gr. Pow'rBall .380 could be had!

Bruce

michael
11-08-2003, 02:01 PM
Wow!! I didn't know they had came out with this one. Very little difference in weight between it and my P-32. Guess I'll have to trade.:D

sponge
11-08-2003, 11:33 PM
Like others here I also have not considered these choices as a choice.But it gets me thinking of the original .32 acp,the colt 1903 or thereabouts,I have met a man showing one off in a shop.And it caugh my interest as it looked just like a miniature tokerev+1911 and I'm most sure it was more flat than anything in this caliber made today,and almost as small.I don't even remember if it had a manual safety though.As to an HP or FMJ,there is so little weight anyway with .32 that evan if that HP expands I still would'nt consider it a big enough deal. .380 is a bigger hole so it's better.but with either of these I would decide based on the gun over the round,or maybe I still fancy that little colt .32acp.

And I'm wondering what is the 32NAA?

Agencyman
11-09-2003, 06:52 AM
And I'm wondering what is the 32NAA?[/QUOTE]

This out to get you up to speed!

http://www.naaminis.com/32NAA.html
http://www.naaminis.com/32NAArel.html
http://www.naaminis.com/32biblio.html

A bit expensive at 449.00, but I like it. The 2nd link will cover performance.

The P-3AT is smaller, much lighter, (about half), and $150.00 less. I'm a hopeless gun nut, I want both...

I know all these are below real-gun par, but maybe it could be the "difference" when even a PM40 would be left behind. Like between now and when I get the $1000 for getting a PM40 and a bit of ammo. But being a hopeless gun nut, I still want one of those too.

Bruce