PDA

View Full Version : Shooting shotshells thru rifled barrels

Ragsbo
11-04-2003, 08:59 PM
I have heard that it is not good to shoot shotshells thru rifled slug barrels, something about ruining the rifling. Does anyone have and experience with this? I would like to use lower recoil shotshells to train the kids but not at the risk of ruining the barrel. Also, how good are these so called "reduced" recoil loads?

Gary Hartzell
11-04-2003, 10:00 PM
I have heard that it is not good to shoot shotshells thru rifled slug barrels, something about ruining the rifling. Does anyone have and experience with this? I would like to use lower recoil shotshells to train the kids but not at the risk of ruining the barrel. Also, how good are these so called "reduced" recoil loads?

Your will not ruin your barrel. There is no way lead can hurt steel.

The reduced recoil loads are great. I shoot nothing but RR loads.
Here is the problem with shooting buck shot through rifled barrels. TEh rifling imparts a spin to the load and you wind up getting patterns that look like a donught. They have large holes or gaps in the middle. Not good. You can still train the basics this way but you really need a smoth bore.

Hasher

Wulfenite
11-05-2003, 10:22 PM
The only "bad" think I had heard WRT to that is that the barrel will build up a lot of lead quickly. And the disasterous effect on the pattern.

I suppose its about the same effect as you get shooting snake shot rounds through a pistol..... typically about 4 feet to the end of the usable pattern.

Failure Drill
11-17-2003, 03:49 PM
A wise instructor told me once that rifling for slugs wasn't real effective anyway. The round didn't spin but rather came out like a knuckleball. The slug is stable out of a smooth bore because it is heavy in the front. I don't know personally about the rifling but I know my 870 is accurate 75 yards or more with slug, and its not rifled.

Ragsbo
11-17-2003, 04:09 PM
A wise instructor told me once that rifling for slugs wasn't real effective anyway. The round didn't spin but rather came out like a knuckleball. The slug is stable out of a smooth bore because it is heavy in the front. I don't know personally about the rifling but I know my 870 is accurate 75 yards or more with slug, and its not rifled.

Rifle barrels need sabots to really work. I have a smooth bore barrel also and using plain jane slugs I can get three inch groups at 50 yards no problem. I have heard that the rifled barrel and sabots pushes that out to around 100 yards plus. I still have to check it out. But rifling does help if you use the sabots. But DO NOT try sabots in a smooth bore or you won't be able to hit the broadside of the barn - even if you are inside. We have to use slugs for deer hunting so they do work.

steve29702
01-07-2004, 12:49 PM
Hi all, so it is ok to shoot shotshells or bird shot through a rifled slug barrel? The reason I ask is I just bought a 20" 2 3/4" or 3" magnum rifeled slug barrel with sights to go on my Remington 870 Express. It came with the 2 3/4" or 3" magnum 26" rem choke barrel. I just wanted to make sure the bullets don't jam up in the barrel or something! I figure with the rifeled barrel the pellets might come out like a twirling throw net! I did read buck shot is not a good idea, but planning on buying the good 3" slugs.

michael
01-07-2004, 01:34 PM
Hi all, so it is ok to shoot shotshells or bird shot through a rifled slug barrel? The reason I ask is I just bought a 20" 2 3/4" or 3" magnum rifeled slug barrel with sights to go on my Remington 870 Express. It came with the 2 3/4" or 3" magnum 26" rem choke barrel. I just wanted to make sure the bullets don't jam up in the barrel or something! I figure with the rifeled barrel the pellets might come out like a twirling throw net! I did read buck shot is not a good idea, but planning on buying the good 3" slugs.

It's fine, shoot it and have fun!!

steve29702
01-07-2004, 04:58 PM
It's fine, shoot it and have fun!!
Thanks! Look out shoulder!

DaveJames
01-07-2004, 07:57 PM
steve, try the 3" slugs and enjoy,, then back down to the 2 3/4" stuff the 3" dosen't really give any extra over and above right now, 15 yards and under buck will work okay out of the rifled bbl but patterns will be bad,, imo if your setting this up for HD then stay with the smooth bore with a set of Ghost Trak sites, then spen the time and shoot the slugs at 25,50,75,and a 100 yards you will be amazed at the drop they have

Ragsbo
01-11-2004, 03:30 PM
2 3/4 slugs work great with out the kick. You need to use sabots in the rifled barrel. Regular slugs don't work that good. In smooth bore the cheaper slugs work better- DO NOT waste your money on sabots shooting them thru a smooth bore! Now the cheap slugs give me 3 inch groups at 50 yards if I do my part. If you want the gun set up for "civil altercations" I would stick with the smooth bore for both slugs and buckshot. For hunting, I would go with the rifled barrel and sabots.