PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Funtional length for 12 guage Remmie 11

wganz
10-08-2004, 07:58 PM
Just picked up a good condition(well used/well loved) Remmie 11 in 12 guage to be part of my trunk gun setup. It has the 27" full choke barrel. After paying off the layaway today at the local gunstore, I told them to hold it to have the gunsmith trim the barrel to 20" and put a new bead on it. The gunsmith said that he won't take it below the minimum length of any factory length barrel(which is 24") because it won't function reliably. :(

I got the idea from a thread on AR15.com where people where showing off their shotguns. Someone had an older Remmie 11 set up with a 20" barrel(and I believe a mag ext also) that looked positively wicked. Inspiring really. I had a Rem11-48 as a teenager and know that you cannot use the band between the barrel and mag ext. :D

Anyone got any experience with abbreviating the barrels on a Remington recoil operated automatic that could shine some light on this? :confused:

TIA

wganz

Crucible
10-09-2004, 08:21 PM
If it's a model 1100 then Remington sells a 21" barrel for it as afactory extra. If it's an 1187, then they are avail. in 18" barrels as is the venerable 870.

Cruc

tbotts
10-09-2004, 11:01 PM
In the book " Gunsmithing Shotguns " by Patrick Sweeney, chapter 17, He has a picture of an A-5 with a 20" barrel. In the article, He states that his competition shotgun for bowling pins is a Remington mod 11 with a 20" barrel and an eight shot extension. He writes that this setup has been very reliable, the one and only malfunction over the years was due to a reload.

Persuader
10-10-2004, 03:29 AM
I would think the gun would work just fine with an 18" barrel. If it were me, I would send the barrel off to Vang Comp. They'll cut the barrel down, install their choke system and port the barrel (if you want) for a couple of bills.

Lee P. Lapin
10-11-2004, 07:05 PM
wganz,

Remington made a Model 11 Police Special and a Model 11R riot gun starting in early 1921. The Police Special had an 18 1/2" barrel, the riot gun had a 20" barrel. These were an outgrowth of Remington's work to produce a semi-auto trench gun with a 20" barrel as World War I came to a close.

The experimental trench gun designs in turn were based on even earlier guns from Remington and FN. Remington's No. 0 grade Riot Gun model of its Remington Autoloading Shotgun was produced starting in 1906. It was the same basic design redesignated by Remington as the Model 11 in 1911 (duh). And the Remington Riot Gun of 1906 had, from the factory, a 20" barrel.

There's your required flashback, now let's go on to World War II. Remington sold bunches of Model 11 Riot Guns to Uncle Sam, in fact they sold all available in their warehouses on government contract and wound up converting the sporting versions of the Model 11 they had warehoused by... you guessed it, shortening the sporting length barrels to the contract- required 20" length. From 1941 to 1944 Remington sold the government more than 60,000 Model 11s in various configurations, many of them Riot versions with 20" barrels.

I cite as source for the above information my personal copy of Thomas F. Swearengen's _The World's Fighting Shotguns_, copyright 1978, distributed by TBN Enterprises, Alexandria, VA. I condensed material found from pages 315- 324 in the paragraphs here.

My own Model 11 has an 18 1/2" barrel and a two shot magazine extension- without the band 8^) (and the thread is the same used in current Remington extensions). I also have a 20" barrel for my Browning A-5 (the same basic design as the Remington Model 11), purchased from Colonial Arms in Selma, AL. If it wouldn't work I can assure you 'Red' Lyles wouldn't have put it out for sale.

They work. 'Gangster' guns from the '30s had barrels cut back even further, some as far as the magazine cap, and stocks cut as short as the tube housing the bolt return spring would allow. They worked. Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker liked them a lot, though Bonnie preferred a 20 ga. The Dillinger gang used a number of them too.

I suggest you find a more cooperative (or more historically minded) 'smith, you will be quite happy with a 20" Model 11.

Regards,

lpl (often in error, never in doubt, that's why I cite sources- that and 27 years working as a reference librarian)

Nanuk
10-12-2004, 10:55 AM
The Border Patrol has used 14" barreled Sage Sidewinders for years in marine ops. They are spoken of very highly by those who use them.

Rush
10-13-2004, 10:49 AM
My Model 11 wears an 18" and change barrel around the house and it has worked 100%. I purchased an already shortened barrel online (I think from the same folks mentioned above about the Auto-5 barrel) and was most pleased.

Pointman870
10-19-2004, 08:53 AM
Anyone got any experience with abbreviating the barrels on a Remington recoil operated automatic that could shine some light on this?

I have a factory original Remington 870 AOW (Any Other Weapon) with a 14" and a modified 12" and the firearm functions 100%. I can't see why barrel length would matter on a pump gun for function.

Pointman870