PDA

View Full Version : The great sword

youngvr4
10-04-2004, 12:51 PM
in the bible, revalations chapter 6 they talk about the 7 scrolls.
the second seal speaks about a great sword
here is the exact words

"and there was another horse that was red: and power was given to him that sat on it to take peace from the earth, and that they should kill one another: and there was given to him a great sword"

now knowing that the person who wrote this was alive back in about 30 A.D and during the time of jesus, they had never seen weapons of the future.

but in revalations, the whole story is about god sending john up to heaven and shown or revealed the end times and that whatever he see's to write it.

again the deadliest weapon john knows of is the sword. so its possible that to explain what he seen wasn't quite possible since he didn't know what it was called.
is it a possibility that the great sword mentioned by john is indeed a gun? or a more advanced gun then even we use today?

Dale Fricke
10-04-2004, 01:43 PM
The sword is an emblem of war, of slaughter, of authority Rom_13:4, and is used here as signifying that period would be characterized by carnage. :cool:

youngvr4
10-04-2004, 02:12 PM
i take your words into consideration, but from what i read in rom 13: 1-14

and also reading mathew 10:34

and 402 other places in the bible were it speaks of a sword. it is all in whats going on at the point in time and how the word is used.
i'm not trying to say your translation is wrong or right, but just from my understanding, its even been looked at as the lords words.

in revalations i think the "was givin him a great sword" is used in a slightly diff context then in romans.

Dale Fricke
10-04-2004, 02:28 PM
I am with you on that there is a bigger picture though I am not sure it refers to a big weapon perhaps, perhaps not but it will be exciting to watch! :cool:

MTS
10-04-2004, 03:06 PM
Sometimes you need to go back and examine the exact word first used. Is it possible that the original word used was "weapon" that over the years (and various translations) got mutated into "sword"?

I use as an example the various translations of the commandment "Thou shalt not (kill/murder)."

DaveJames
10-04-2004, 11:34 PM
Not realy so much about a weapon or weapons, but the sword was known to all as a weapon that could cause massive wounds and death,and as he is given the power to cause world wide death the sword was used to show and tell of his power

youngvr4
10-04-2004, 11:38 PM
he's writing what he see's, not what he's told, remember that

Paco
10-05-2004, 03:36 AM
[oops, my apologies. Originally posted a tongue in cheek ode to the 1911.]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------