PDA

View Full Version : Mini-30

dave-mo
11-02-2003, 05:33 AM
Anyone have any experience with the Ruger Mini-30? I once had a mini-14, and am looking to re-supply :D Do they shoot as well as the Mini-14 and M14/M1A? I'm looking for something 7.62mm for a heavier bullet weight..... Dave

sponge
11-02-2003, 08:13 AM
I have the same question as minithirty is smaller than a m14 but hits harder than the .223 with an expanding projectile.And how would it compare to the most populer AK SKS series? I think its even lighter than these also.There used to be many ads for the 7.62 conversion for the ar15 with 16 inch barrel and I wonder if these ever cought on?the mini 30 has peep sights and full stock also. :) And what did you think of your mini-14?

Vig Creed
11-03-2003, 07:54 AM
I sold mine shortly after buying it. It wasn't accurate.

creed

Matt
11-04-2003, 02:30 PM
I thought the same thing about the mini-30, and bought one in all stainless and synthetic, thinking what a great idea it was.

Unfortunately, the execution of that idea is poor (huge understatement) - the gun is very inaccurate, the iron sights are poor and cheaply made, and high-cap magazines that work reliably simply don't exist.

Add to that Bill Ruger's politics (which I didn't know when I bought the gun), and that's one gun I'll never be sorry I sold.

Since then I've discovered the FAL, and an 18" lightweight carbine has done everything and more for me than that silly little gun could ever hope to.

dave-mo
11-04-2003, 04:38 PM
Since I started this I guess I'll finish it... I broke down and bought one and I must say new out of the box I felt that it shot extremely well... FWIW I shot the old M14 a lot and i felt pretty comfortable with the mini 30.... I've ran about 100 rounds through it and haven't had any problems yet. I'll keep you all posted ;)

InTheBlack
11-05-2003, 02:16 AM
I just sighted one in with a 4x40 scope, using good ammo not the commiebloc steel stuff.

During the scope zeroing, at 100 yards using an SR-21C target (6 inch diameter aiming black) and a 6-o-clock hold, my groups were no bigger than 2" (groups of 5, 3, and 3 rounds).

For record, I used an old M16-A1 type target, with the bell-curve shaped black. I could see the central white 5" diameter circle in the scope and that was my aiming area.

My second round went through the hole left by the first round. I wish I hadn't broken my position to field scope it (couldn't find it in the 4x scope) because I didn't get the crosshairs back in the same visual spot. The 5 shot group was 1 1/2" wide and 2 1/2" high. I think I was holding the crosshairs higher for those last three shots.

I've read that the magazine problems are due to Ruger not holding a good spec tolerance on the mag catch dimension. This can be corrected.

The Mini-14 is said to have a wandering zero when the thin barrel gets hot; dunno if the 30 is relatively thicker. But Hbars can be installed, and the gas piston bearing surfaces improved (another source of inaccuracy, like in the Garand &M14)

InTheBlack
11-05-2003, 02:24 AM
Oh, it also has a Hogue Overmolded stock, which might keep it bedded more firmly than the wood stock.

On sale Thru Nov 30 at Midway 800-243-3220
for $52.95 Product # 813612

That reminds me, IIRC the Accurate powder manual used Midway brass to get their 7.62x39 data; wonder if Midway still sells it.

Vig Creed
11-05-2003, 05:47 AM
Maybe they fixed the Mini-30? Mine shot 6-8 inch groups at 100 yards.

creed

CJ8Vet
11-05-2003, 01:36 PM
[Mine was doing good to get 6" groups-I tried 2 diff scopes-(1 proven leupold 12x off a varmint gun) 4 different types ammo,both domestic and commie stuff--sent back to ruger with 2 complaints1-required almost all the windage available in both scopes to hit paper at 100yds and 2-sorry groups, they sent it back with a note..~"lapped rings" nothing else, I shot it, still grouped sorry and stille required alot of windage- sent it back again! note says they replaced rings and "fixed" barrel-haven't had time to shoot it yet but my hopes aren't too high
Mark aka cj8vet

'fpQUOTE=Vig Creed]Maybe they fixed the Mini-30? Mine shot 6-8 inch groups at 100 yards.

creed[/QUOTE]

InTheBlack
11-05-2003, 08:36 PM
Verrrry interesting, but stupid (on Ruger's part)

I had to send mine back twice as well. First it shot 18" left at 100 yards with the scope at mechanical zero. After the first return it still shot 10"-12" left. After the second return, they replaced & lapped the rings and "fixed barrel" and the sucker was dead on for windage. Elevation is 5-6" high at 100 yards, which is correct for the longer zero distance you really want with this cartridge.

They might assemble them crappy, but if their customers show themselves to be other than plinkers they do a real good job.

An FFL can send it US Priority Mail for under $10, and its covered under your homeowner's insurance so you don't have to buy the postal insurance.

InTheBlack
11-05-2003, 11:14 PM
I just finished trolling the net again trying to find useful information on the accuracy level of the $80/1000 Russian brands of ammo. Can't find any info other than by 25 yard SKS plinkers.

Anyone have an opinion about this manufacturer?
http://www.georgia-arms.com/canned.htm

$129/1000, apparently using brass not steel; if it holds 2-3 MOA I'd be happy.

And I'm wondering if the Bullpup stock will fit the Mini-30

hippy john
11-06-2003, 11:40 AM
Hmm, I've had a Mini-14 for a while now, and think it's doing rather well. As far as 7.62x39, I got a Bulgarian SLR-95 and havn't looked for anything else since. Plenty of mags just about everywhere, the commie stuff is dirt cheap, and a steyer barrel keeps the bullets where I want them to go. The lack of scope mounts is a bummer, but thats what the SAM-7 would be for. It does the plinking thing just fine. And thanks for the heads up about the Georgia Arms stuff. As cheap as the commie stuff is, theres just something about supporting the local economy that is very nice.

dave-mo
11-16-2003, 02:27 PM
I've had the chance to run about 500 rounds through my Mini-30 and (with iron sights) I have no complaints at all... mine was NIB, so maybe they fixed the bugs!? I shot both Remington UMC and Wolf Russian rounds through it and had NO PROBLEM! Dave

InTheBlack
11-16-2003, 07:00 PM
What kind of accuracy did the UMC vs Wolf give? Did you do any tests off the bench?

karl johnson
11-17-2003, 05:02 AM
BTW: You can have a side rail installed. I had one put on my SLR, and, while I liked the Ultimak forward mounting point better, I used the scope when appropriate to good effect.

KarlJ

Hmm, I've had a Mini-14 for a while now, and think it's doing rather well. As far as 7.62x39, I got a Bulgarian SLR-95 and havn't looked for anything else since. Plenty of mags just about everywhere, the commie stuff is dirt cheap, and a steyer barrel keeps the bullets where I want them to go. The lack of scope mounts is a bummer, but thats what the SAM-7 would be for.

dave-mo
11-17-2003, 06:39 AM
What kind of accuracy did the UMC vs Wolf give? Did you do any tests off the bench?
I had 4 MOA with the Wolf and about the same with the UMC... but I ain't no good :D BTW the Wolf was steel-cased... I didn't like that at all, but it was cheap! Dave

InTheBlack
11-21-2003, 10:21 PM
Shot some Wolf today; weird weather; almost 70 degrees.

Used a 4x40 Swift scope from the bench at 100 yards.

My groups were all oval in the horizontal direction. 5 round groups were 4-5" wide by 2-3" high. The best was 2"x1" for 5 rounds.

The Wolf POI was 5 to 6 inches lower than the CorBon.

Previously the CorBon shot better than my ability to put the crosshairs on the same spot; 3 inch group at worst.

Hmmm... The Aimpoint CQB dot sight has an add-on lens that turns it into a 2x power. It would be convenient to have a "doubling" lens to temporarily put on a scope when testing ammo for accuracy, so you could really put the crosshairs onto the same spot from the bench.