PDA

View Full Version : Sandbar Bowie Knife

Modern Technique
09-23-2004, 12:15 PM
I was comtemplating ordering a Sandbar Bowie from Livesay. It looks like a good working/combat knife, and at $200, a bargain. Anyone have experience with this knife??

http://newtlivesay.com/NL_SB-SPECS.htm

James Bowie
09-23-2004, 03:41 PM
I would make the point less upswept for better thrusting, and add a different grip....perhaps a dog-bone grip as seen on some older Bowies. I like the size, and the steel (1095) can't be argued with.

J Bowie

Paul Gomez
09-25-2004, 09:34 AM
While you can call a knife whatever you want and Newt makes nice knives, that knife is in no way an accurate depiction of the knife used by James Bowie at the Sandbar fight.

The knife used by James on that fateful night was given to him by his brother Rezin. It was the knife that Rezin designed following his hunting accident and was crafted by a local blacksmith and family friend, Jesse Clift.

The origional knife designed by Rezin, made by Clifft, copied and improved by Schivley and later by Searles had a minimal guard projecting down from the handle and no clip point at all. It was often refered to as 'that butcher knife that Bowie always carries'. An example of an early Schivley [one of Rezin's personal knives] is on display in Jackson, MS and an example of a Searle's bowie is on display at the Alamo [a gift from Rezin to Captain Fowler of the US Dragoons, a friend & former Sheriff of Baton Rouge.]