PDA

View Full Version : Help with small framed duty style semi

paladin959
11-01-2003, 11:56 AM
I am the Firearms Instructor for my Dept. We currently are training a very small framed female (4' 10"). Our current issued weapons are Glock 17/19. The 19 is to large for her hands. I need help finding a duty style semi with a grip to trigger distance shorter than a 19.
Thanks in advance
Paladin959

Bodfish
11-01-2003, 12:34 PM
Possibly something from Kahr Arms. Smaller grip, and Manual of Arms like a Glock. Another possibility might be a Robar grip reduction on a Glock. The Springfield XS pistols might also be worth a look.

sponge
11-01-2003, 01:42 PM
I like the above from bodfish as to the grip reduction for the glock,maybe even on their single stack piece.But i suspect department would balk at such a customization.So i would recomend a revolver as this is the reason many woman prefer the wheelgun,semi-auto would be a sig 225 or239 trigger is a little farther but grip is much smaller,can't comment on kahr.colt officers acp would be for the right person but cocked and locked would be another maybe not.Why must it be a semi-auto!?

Hasher
11-01-2003, 01:48 PM
Hmmmmm possibly a Kahr or a or a reduction on a Glock. Maybe one of the single stack Sig's? Maybe a single stack 1911 in 40 or 9mm with a short trigger and slim line grips?? Maybe get her a P7M8. I hav eloaned mine more than once to shooters with small hands and it worked great.

On a different note. What are the minimum height and weight standards for you agency?

BillyOblivion
11-01-2003, 02:00 PM
I am the Firearms Instructor for my Dept. We currently are training a very small framed female (4' 10"). Our current issued weapons are Glock 17/19. The 19 is to large for her hands. I need help finding a duty style semi with a grip to trigger distance shorter than a 19.
Thanks in advance
Paladin959

Take a look at the CZ75B. My wife (a little taller, but she has small hands) shoots one, and it works well for her. It also has the advantage of being steel, and less likely to hang up because of "limp wristing".

michael
11-01-2003, 02:49 PM
I recommend the Sig P225, which is a single stack 9mm and generally works well for smaller female hands. My old department used to have several females that used and liked these.

MTS
11-01-2003, 05:54 PM
Palidan959

We were doing night qualifications tonight and I fired one of our female officers SIG P-225. It has had different springs and a shorter trigger installed.

It fit my hand very nicely and I have smaller hands (about size 9).

For the Glock I think the Robar grip reduction is the way to go. I have had them do 3 differant Glocks for me and they all turned out well.

You might see if you could find one already done to see if it would fit her hand.

DaveJames
11-01-2003, 10:39 PM
I just went through this problem with one of our females, and as we are restricted to SIG's we went with the 225, and it worked out okay for her, a few weeks later she came to me on the off duty question, and after looking around she picked up the new Khar T-9, it really fits her hand well, and she shoots better with it than the SIG,

Grey Wolf
11-02-2003, 02:24 AM
Just wondering if you guys have had much luck finding double/triple retention holsters for the smaller guns.

Thanks

Grey Wolf

Kilroy
11-02-2003, 09:14 AM
Springfield XD. I was with a well known trainer, with very small hands, when she handled an XD compact and found it to be easier to manipulate then a Glock or USPc.

ajamesp51
11-02-2003, 10:43 PM
I would throw another vote in for the Springfield Armory xd. I have used an xd to teach several ladys new to shooting itro to shooting courses none yet have had any problems. My fiancee has small hands and does not feel comfortable with a Glock but likes the smaller grip of the xd. Another Issue is the manual of arms, you will be able to teach her as you would any other glock shooter (ie no manual safety, double trigger etc). The only differece in shooting is the grip angle, more like a 1911. One recomendation is get a better finish the xd has to be taken care of like a blued pistol unlike the glocks tenifer. Mac's Shootin' Iron Restorations, will do their tuff gun for 115 all metal parts or Mac's will do a complete top end (Assembled slide with barrel) for $50 with return shipping included. With the XDs cost being cheaper a new more durable finish will still be chaper then a Glock (especially with alteration) or sig. Duty holsters are a availble (I have 2, dilevery took 2 days) level III Done Hume duty rigs that work really nicely. in sumation the xd is so similar to the glocks operation it wont take vary much more familairization for the xd. When you pull the trigger it shoots...every time. If you call Springfield Armory 1-800-680-6866 they will help you out as far as more info for law enforcement Ie what other police depts use the xd.

paladin959
11-03-2003, 08:52 AM
I like the above from bodfish as to the grip reduction for the glock,maybe even on their single stack piece.But i suspect department would balk at such a customization.So i would recomend a revolver as this is the reason many woman prefer the wheelgun,semi-auto would be a sig 225 or239 trigger is a little farther but grip is much smaller,can't comment on kahr.colt officers acp would be for the right person but cocked and locked would be another maybe not.Why must it be a semi-auto!?

Per Dept SOG.......Must be semi/double action or decock

paladin959
11-03-2003, 08:54 AM
Hmmmmm possibly a Kahr or a or a reduction on a Glock. Maybe one of the single stack Sig's? Maybe a single stack 1911 in 40 or 9mm with a short trigger and slim line grips?? Maybe get her a P7M8. I hav eloaned mine more than once to shooters with small hands and it worked great.

On a different note. What are the minimum height and weight standards for you agency?

No standards....provided you can pass all required tests...PT/Psy/background...etc..