PDA

View Full Version : groundfighting PT

dave-mo
09-20-2004, 07:16 AM
Any ideas for PT to help with groundfighting skills? I feel kind of weak in this area... TKS Dave

michael
09-20-2004, 08:46 AM
Weak how? Strength, stamina, flexibility? I am currently doing the CrossFit program, and it is excellent for strength and endurance relative to fighting/combatives. Their website is www.crossfit.com/ (http://www.crossfit.com/).

Skpotamus
09-21-2004, 08:31 PM
http://www.trainforstrength.com/

the guy who runs the site actually has pro NHB experience, as well as former seal UDT exp. Best workouts I've ever seen.

Charles Rives
09-21-2004, 11:21 PM
A good and free starting point may also be to go to the sports section of your local public library and look for books about coaching high-school and collegiate wrestling. They are often full of good drills and exercises.

Chuck

NDD
09-25-2004, 10:55 AM
Have you looked at Combat Conditioning?

Skpotamus
09-25-2004, 02:34 PM
Combat Conditioning contains most of the same exercises found on Scrappers website, it does have some not on the site but the site has some not in the book.

The website is free, Matt Furey charges a LOT for his book. Also, Furey's book doesn't contain any real workouts, just exercises, Scrapper puts in entire workouts.

Just FYI, Furey is NOT a highly conditioned individual. He's a big guy, over 200lbs I believe. He was rolling with a much smaller fighter (156 - 170lb class) and was compeletly exhausted after 5-6 minutes. Had to stop, and couldn't grapple again that day.

michael
09-25-2004, 06:37 PM
I agree with Skpotamus, Furey's a lot of hype. I have the book and it is okay, but as he said, Scrappers stuff is free. I will take the conditioning I am getting with CrossFit anyday over the combat conditioning exercises. The difference is huge, and I have done both. No comparison. And once you buy a book from Furey, you get inundated with "special offers" to buy other stuff from him at what he calls "reduced" but highly inflated prices. No thanks.

NDD
09-26-2004, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the link, I missed it before.

ipdta
09-27-2004, 03:53 AM
14 - 16 October IPDTA will be arranging a course in Chicago area. Officer Rick Sjodin can give you more details. Please visit
www.ipdta.com for more info or just drop me a line of forum.

Take care