PDA

View Full Version : Nite Sites

MACOP
10-30-2003, 05:51 PM
I am going to put nite sites on my department issued duty weapon, a Glock 22.

I am leaning towards the Heinie Slant Pros, but can get the Trijicon product for about half the price. Since it is the city's gun to begin with, payint $80 instead of $150 is a selling point.

I am looking for anyone with expieriance using both types of sites to tell me if the Heinie's are worth the extra cost.

Thanks, in advance.
It's good to have a plan.
SteveB

mballai
10-30-2003, 06:02 PM
I know at least one guy whose opinion I respect likes the Heinie. Also I was looking at a Springfield XD with them and I was impressed almost to the point of wanting that gun!

The only other sight I would recommend is the big Express Sight. Really easy to see and fast! I've got a set being installed on a Commander.

FedDC
10-30-2003, 06:25 PM
Wilson Combat has some great fixed nite sights. I love the combat pyramid version. You can send your pistol to wilson and they will install them and zero the weapon to what every ammo you specify. The other option is to just get the sights and do it yourself, but with fixed sights you always run the risk of it not shooting to POA. The wilson sights are $$$, but it is a one time deal since wilson has great warranty.

Wulfenite
10-30-2003, 06:54 PM
Try to find someone with a trade account with Brownells. IIRC the Heinie night sights are closer to $100 from them.

billcameron
10-30-2003, 08:19 PM
I had trijicons on my glock 26 and 27. I put a set of ashley big dots on glock 26 and now in process of installing on glock 27. I say in process because I like to shoot at different times and under different light conditions holding ashley rear sight with set screws until I apply the red loctite. I do find them quick. Part of it is my old eyes have hard time getting good focus with traditional sights and I think ashleys are just plain quicker with rear V sight not covering that much of front sight. After you get used to them front sight does seem to go naturally into rear sight notch. Guess the Brits had something with their express sights on double rifles. With practice you can get pretty good accuracy. However, if your eye are capable of sharp sight focus I think you may loss some accuracy with ashleys over traditional sights. Ashley provides everything you need to install- wrench for front sight screw, red loctite, allen wrench for set screws in rear sight, and little plastic thing to tap sight for windage (but my advice is to make sure they are in correct position before applying loctite.)

Link to ashley homepage

http://www.expresssights.com/

MACOP
10-31-2003, 04:11 AM
Gentlemen:

Thank you for all the responses. I will admit to being suprised at so much advocacy of the Big Dot's. I honestly had not considered them.

My only concern is accuracy with the Big Dot's. The accuracy requirements for firearms instructors here in my state are stringent, and focused on accuracy, not speed.

With the understanding that the gun is going to be more accurate than the shooter, can you get good accuracy with the Big Dot's? How steep (measured in rounds downrange, I guess) is the learning curve with these very different sights?

Thanks again.
SteveB

Vig Creed
10-31-2003, 07:19 AM
I too have tried just about every sight on the market, and have settled on the BIG DOT sights as the fastest and easiest to see under various lighting conditions.

My BIG DOT's seem almost as accurate as regular combat sights out to 25 yards, but they are not long range target sights. BIG DOT's are intended to provide very fast, close range, day/night combat accuracy, and they do.

There are two sizes. The smaller dot is more accurate for longer ranges. The bigger dot is faster up close.

creed

Yamdog
11-04-2003, 02:12 PM
How do the Ashleys work? Do you cover your target with the dot or do you use the top of the dot? Sorry folks I never looked at em.

Vig Creed
11-04-2003, 02:17 PM
Yamdog,

Up close I cover the target area with the DOT. A longer ranges I place the tip-top of the front sight where I want the bullet to go.

It is amazing how well they work.

creed

MTS
11-04-2003, 02:28 PM
David DiFabio,

Can you give us a rundown of what type sights you tested and how they scored overall?

M700
11-05-2003, 09:44 AM
Haven't tried the XS yet - but the idea looks good.

I have had a set of Heinie night sights on my Kimber 1911 for several years and am very pleased with them. Quick to pick up, and rugged, I find that they help me stay accurate. Guy

Alexii
11-06-2003, 05:26 AM
Another vote for the Big Dots.

I can actually see the front sight while shooting on the move. I believe 25 yard shots would be no problem with these sights once sufficiently acquainted with the system.

MACOP
11-06-2003, 07:01 AM
I started the thread, and appreciate all of the responses.

Circumstances dictate that I mount sites within the next week.

FWIW, I am going with the Heinie Straight Eights.

That being said, I remain intrigued by the XS sights, and am very suprised at so many vocal, knowledgeble votes for them.

So, with that in mind, I am going to pick up a set of the non-tritium XS sights (due to cost), and mount them on my personal G21 so I can try them out.
SteveB

Travis
12-28-2003, 06:39 PM
Hello!
I have been reading this thread with great interest. I want to get night sights for my G19 and have been considering the Ashley XS option. After reading through here I am more intereted than ever!
I have 2 concerns: cost and holster options. Can anyone recommend the best source for the lowest price on these? Also, I currently use a Blade-Tech IWB - will the sights work with this holster? I am looking at getting a different Kydex IWB anyway, so if the sights are not compatible its not that big of an issue for me.
Thanks!
Travis

Alexii
12-29-2003, 04:10 AM
Hello!
I have been reading this thread with great interest. I want to get night sights for my G19 and have been considering the Ashley XS option. After reading through here I am more intereted than ever!
I have 2 concerns: cost and holster options. Can anyone recommend the best source for the lowest price on these? Also, I currently use a Blade-Tech IWB - will the sights work with this holster? I am looking at getting a different Kydex IWB anyway, so if the sights are not compatible its not that big of an issue for me.
Thanks!
Travis

I use a Big Dot XS equipped G19 with my Sidearmor IWB. Plenty of "sight-canal" space between the holster body and the big front sight. You'll have no problems.

Good luck.

Paco
01-03-2004, 07:17 PM
I have Trijicon nite sites on a 1911, G19, G27 and a G17L. Love em. But, my 46 year old eyes have increasingly been challenged to pick up the traditional front sights. Especially noticeable during local IDPA matches when they hang a black shirt on the target.

Based on David's reports of the improvements in shooters with the Big Dots on Ammolab (repeated here), I just installed a set of Big Dot 24/7 on another G19 today and will wring them out tomorrow.
They feel good in dry fire drills tonight. Hope to report my first impressions soon.

Paco (aka Apprentice).

Paco
01-05-2004, 04:13 PM
Big Dot Express! Baby where have you been all my life?!!!

That's it. The best speed sighting system I've ever used on a pistol

I'll be converting more pistols in the near future

sween1911
01-07-2004, 06:33 PM
David,

After handling your J-frame that was so equipped, I was disappointed to see on their website that they could not be had for my SP101 (that really needs a new front sight).

However, XS Support e-mailed me back to inform me that the Airweight Ti sight was the exact same one that could be used on the SP101. So I'll be fitting one on sometime soon.

MACOP
01-11-2004, 01:58 PM
I started this thread, and just thought I would share what I did.

I chose the Heinie Straight Eight sights, and I couldn't be happier.

I have shot better with these sights than I ever shot before with the Glock 22. I plan on putting these sights on my personal Glocks during the course of this year.

I may still try the 'Big Dots' as an experiment on my Glock 21, but that has taken a back seat, and finances will allow only so much 'experimentation'.
SteveB