PDA

View Full Version : Home Invasion? Have you ever been a victim? What do you do?

AmericanWarrior
09-05-2004, 04:21 PM
Has anyone ever been, or do you know of anyone that has been a victim of a home invasion?

What would you do?

What happens legally? Say you kill the invader?

I do know some one that was a victim a break in, two rounds of .45 ACP into the floor (near the bad guy) sent the intruder running. Sure now he has two holes in the fool but no split blood.

Good bad idea? It work then, but the next time he might not be so lucky.

gcmj45acp
09-05-2004, 04:55 PM
There is no iron clad answer to this and the law is a little different from one state to the next. Politics unfortunately does have an effect on what happens as well. There are those in our criminal justice system who openly admit that they believe "We the People" DO NOT have a right to defend ourselves. In otherwords, even if all you do is slap the guy and send him running, you may still face simple battery charges and have to deal with the expense of defending yourself.

On the otherhand, especially back when Johnny Holmes was the DA in Houston, you could shoot the son-of-a-bitch "...dead, dead, dead, dead, dead..." and you'd come out of it smelling like rose as long as you didn't follow the advice of some misinformed cops by moving the body after the shooting to be sure it didn't appear the man had been shot outside the home.

Bottomline is that the old saying "...better to be judged by twelve than carried by six," still holds true. I'd MUCH rather face a jury and spend my life savings in court than show up early at the pearly gates for ultimate judgement. I may be a good guy for the most part but I'm not perfect or necessarily "Christian." So frankly, I think I'd stand a better chance in court down here. :o

Lou Costello
09-05-2004, 05:12 PM
I know of a number of people who have had their home invaded but one incident in particular bears mentioning.

A friend of my mother, a retired registered nurse in Paterson NJ, had her apartment broken into. The BG used an axe to break down the apartment door to gain entrance. The retired nurse shot and killed the BG with a .38 Special revolver that her late husband had given her in 1939.

No criminal nor civil charges were ever filed against the nurse.

jack76590
09-05-2004, 06:37 PM
Laws vary as pointed out. However, I would recommend strong doors and locks. One they can buy you time and second if a person does break down a door it is clear you were up against a dangerous person. Remember the liberal columnist Carl Rowan who confronted a kid who broke into his back yard and was using his swimming pool. Rowan as I recall had an unlicensed handgun given him by his son, a not so liberal FBI agent. I will see if I can find some details, but bottom line if he had killed kid he would have been in trouble. If he had stayed inside behind locked door and called police kid would not have come inside in this case. But again is someone breaks down the door I think you have a good case you were in danger.

Here is a link and I believe his son was or is on the NRA board of Directors.

http://www.tincher.to/rowan.htm

Carl Rowan used illegal handgun to shoot at children

"Rowan, who had advocated strict handgun control, found himself in the center of a gun controversy during the 1980s when he was arrested and charged with using an unregistered weapon to wound a teen-ager who intruded into his backyard. Rowan argued that he had the right to use whatever means necessary to protect himself and his family. The jury deadlocked and the judge hearing the case declared a mistrial." Source: "Columnist Carl Rowan dies at age 75", CNN, 23 September 2000

"In 1988, Rowan shot and wounded in the wrist an intruder who had trespassed on his property in Washington and used his swimming pool. Rowan said he had fired because the youth was trying to break into his house and refused to stop when ordered to do so. He also said the pistol he used was exempt from the District's strict gun-control laws because it belonged to his older son, a former FBI agent. District officials disagreed and charged the columnist with violating those laws. A highly publicized trial ended with a hung jury." Source: "Columnist Carl Rowan Dies at 75", The Washington Post, 24 September 2000

"Rowan was 'a towering presence' in Washington -- and a hell of a song-and-dance man, writes fellow Sun-Times commentator Robert Novak. Novak adds that Rowan's 1988 run-in with teenagers skinny-dipping in his pool (he shot one of them in the wrist) 'led to the only really negative publicity in his career.' " Source: "...AND SO IS CARL ROWAN", USC Annenberg - Online Journalism Review, 26 September 2000

JerryM
09-05-2004, 08:14 PM
If the BG was breaking down my door then I would shoot him as he entered.

If I heard a bump in the night, I would lock the bedroom door, call 911, and be prepared to shoot if he got through the door.

I don't think it makes sense to get up and start through the house to see if you can find him. He has the advantage in that circumstance.

Jerry

Glocku2death
09-05-2004, 09:53 PM

If I heard a bump in the night, I would lock the bedroom door, call 911, and be prepared to shoot if he got through the door.

I don't think it makes sense to get up and start through the house to see if you can find him. He has the advantage in that circumstance.

Jerry

I cant just lock the door and wait, I have kids in the house. If you break in my house I will go on the offensive before you get to my children.

DaveJames
09-05-2004, 11:49 PM
Several years ago, while I was married to the second wife, we were living in an upstairs apartment,complex that formed an "U" with a joint landing,she was home with the children,I was working midnights,,

Around midnight or half past,she heard pounding on the door,as she looked thru the peep, she saw no one and the landing light was out.She asked who was there and got a responce"I've been in an accident I need help", to which she responded "I'll call the police and paramedics", she then stated that he screamed no that wouldn't be quick enough,,and try to open the door, at that time she went into the bedroom picked up her PPK/s in 32, told the kids to get on the couch,and went back to the door, she stated that "He was still banging on the door, she called the locals for help,and told them she had a gun.She also yelled it at the would be intruder.She was standing appox,4-5 feet from the door when he hit it and it popped,,due to the double chain it held,and she emptied the magazine, walk to the dineing table picked up then other mag and reloaded, set down on the couch with one baby under each arm and the older two standing behind her to the back of the couch.

The whole thing was heard on the phone by dispatch..When the locals arrived they found a pool of blood on the landing and a trail down the stairs,,no body.

When they entered the home they found her setting where I said, they ended up calling me from work ,because she refused to give up her pistol,until I got there, the Dick's and her stated that at no time did she point it at them.

As I walked in the front door you can imagen what was going thru my head,as I saw her and the brood,I relaxed just a little,removed the pistol from her,,which was on safe and handed it to the lead Dick. I called a friend who was a former Commonwealth's Atty. and we all went to the precint,I did not set in on the statements, but was advised by all concerned that she did very well.
About 3 weeks later we were told no charges would be brought.

It appears there was a crew of three working apt's, and when some poor ole soul opened the door,,they bum rushed them and beat the shit out of them ,,then stole what they wanted.

THEY PICK THE WRONG MOTHER LION THAT TIME.

Q-ball
09-06-2004, 01:31 AM
Good for her. You wanna see violence? Just mess with momma's children.

Sho_Nuff
09-06-2004, 08:10 AM
Fathers burden, nothing to do but train for it.

It always cracks me up when people think that civilians do not need to know how to "clear" a house. We HAVE TO secure the kids and we're most likely going to be doing it alone. Fathers, at times, have to do things that Delta guys wouldn't do by themselves.

Just a fact, train for it!

I think all should Know how to clear a house, I just don't think all should do it, esp alone.

Of course we all are forced to do things we shouldn't at times, and securing your family is something that forces you to do this.

I am very much agianst clearing a house in a situation when you come home and you see the door kicked in and you can account for everyone in the family. Clearing a house is a team sport, and even teams hate to do it.

By the way, I love SC. I am in a Castle Doctrine State.

michael
09-06-2004, 08:18 AM
Tennessee law allows a homeowner to shoot and kill an intruder based merely on the fact that they have broken in on the homeowner. In our law, a homeowner is "presumed" to be in fear of their life and can whatever steps are necessary to prevail, up to and including killing the intruder. Courts have upheld this numerous times in our state--Yea!!!!!!!:D

Steve Camp
09-06-2004, 08:38 AM
Tennessee law allows a homeowner to shoot and kill an intruder based merely on the fact that they have broken in on the homeowner. In our law, a homeowner is "presumed" to be in fear of their life and can whatever steps are necessary to prevail, up to and including killing the intruder. Courts have upheld this numerous times in our state--Yea!!!!!!!:D

It is important, though, to ensure you always lock or latch from the inside all your doors and windows, even if they are only a screen door or window. The better to prove a break-in occurred.

michael
09-06-2004, 11:34 AM
IMHO, the number one deterent would be a security screen on the front door.
And the number one threat is an armed, Gabe-trained homeowner!:D

The Searcher
09-06-2004, 11:41 AM
An awful lot of home invasions happen when someone opens the door and admits the thugs.

It always amazes me when you hear about some homeowner opening a door at midnight for three strangers but it seems to happen all the time.

Gecko
09-06-2004, 02:34 PM
Can these same measures be used when relatives "invade" for the holidays? :D

Liberty or Death
09-07-2004, 03:12 AM

Jerry

Agreed.

Unless a loved one is being threatened by the BG somewhere else in the house, it is best to stay in your locked room and wait for the scumbag to come to you.

Of course, it helps to be properly equipped.

Next to my nightstand is a Bianchi belt (with a holstered 1911, four extra mags in two pouches, a 9P Surefire light, a Cold Steel Tanto), a cell phone on a charger and a set of keys for the outside door that I can throw out the window to the cops when they arrive in case they need it to get in. The keys are attached to a Cyalume stick so the cops won't have to grope around in the dark for them.

cxm
09-07-2004, 05:27 AM
Home invasions are getting more common, and more violent. Especially bad if you have others you are responsible for protecting.

I agree we need to know how to clear a house...BUT we also need to know it is a VERY dangerous undertaking... best done by a team not a single home owner.

If it is possible the best action is to retreat to the safe room and hunker down... of course if there are children to be protected then one has to do what they must do...

It is important for families to practice "invasion" drills just like they would a fire drill... statistacally they are more likely to have a home invasion than a fire. Practice can save lives...both in fire and when attacked. It is especially important for kids to know what to do until help arrives.

FWIW

Chuck

combat effective
09-07-2004, 01:17 PM
I've never had an invasion happen to me. I would meet force with force and repel the invasion.

A good watchdawg (Southern spelling) is always a good means of detering such incidents.

VaughnT
09-07-2004, 05:04 PM
My current inventory makes for a very bad day should the fools of the world decide to enter uninvited.

A Marlin m45 carbine with 10rd of 230g ball in accompanied by a Yost 1991 stoked with 10rd of Speer GDHP 230g and two spare 8rd mags on my duty belt. Also on said belt is a surefire 6P. I don't know if I can get more prepared, though I would like better sights on the M45 (any ideas?).

Sho Nuff, where'd you end up moving to? If you make it up to Greenville, holler and we'll do some shooting at the GGC.

RMF
09-08-2004, 02:00 PM
I agree we need to know how to clear a house...BUT we also need to know it is a VERY dangerous undertaking... best done by a team not a single home owner.

If it is possible the best action is to retreat to the safe room and hunker down...

But you need to know how to do it. I Heard someone breaking in about 2 am one night. It was just my wife and me upstairs so I made a lot of noise and had my wife call 911. I waited upstairs and let the officers come. They checked out the downstairs and didn't find anyone. They got another call 2 blocks away and thought it was him so all three left. Not being a trusting man - I checked the house myself (armed of course) and found the guy hiding where all three had walked right by him.

Don't take anything for granted - check it yourself as well, they may have missed one or all.

krb
09-08-2004, 08:03 PM
...They got another call 2 blocks away and thought it was him so all three left. Not being a trusting man - I checked the house myself (armed of course) and found the guy hiding where all three had walked right by him.

Don't take anything for granted - check it yourself as well, they may have missed one or all.

Uggggghhh! That'll give you the creeps...glad you found him!

InTheBlack
09-20-2004, 07:53 PM
>>>
It is important for families to practice "invasion" drills just like they would a fire drill... statistacally they are more likely to have a home invasion than a fire.
>>>

Got a source for that statistic?

What's a Marlin m45? Do you mean the 45 long colt Cowboy lever action?