PDA

View Full Version : Care of magazines for CCW Auto pistol

billcameron
10-25-2003, 06:30 PM
Wondering how you take care of your magazines for CCW auto pistol. I keep separate mags for carry and practice. I do occasionally fire rounds thru carry mags to make sure function with carry ammo. However, I don't drop, do speed loads with carry mags as I am afraid they will be damaged and cause problem at wrong time. So my "hard practice" is with separate mags and if I get a jam, well time to practice malfunction drill. Currently carry gun is glock 27. I put Wolff springs in new mags. I use carry mags for two years and then rotate them into practice status and get new carry mags. I also down load one round as I find that last round in glock 27 goes in hard and puts pressure on bottom of slide, that could combined with say bad grip cause slide not to cycle on first round. Also downloading one round puts less stress on springs and pressure on base plate. I think mags with non steel base plates might have more tendence to pop off- can't prove it, but feel better with less pressure from downloading one round. If I were carrying say a sig model with steel base plate I would probably just change springs of carry mags every two years or maybe spring and baseplate in case of models with non steel base plates but steel mags bodies eg model 228.

Brass Balls
10-25-2003, 06:59 PM
For 1911s I've gone to using welded bases just to eliminate the slim possibility of a base popping off at an inoportune time. Like you I will practice with my carry mags to a point of deeming them reliable then I use them for carry only and rotate the loaded mags about every 6 weeks. I also carry 5 different colors of paint pens in my range bag for marking targets as well as color coding my magazines so I know how long they've been in use.

I also like to use a second gun that's the same as my carry gun for my primary practice gun. Then I use my actual carry gun to practice maybe 10% of the time. Furthermore I keep a small notebook in my range bag that I always use to note how many rounds I've fired and on what date. This enables me to replace springs on an interval designed to anticipate and eliminate spring related failures.

Hasher
10-25-2003, 09:22 PM
For 1911s I've gone to using welded bases just to eliminate the slim possibility of a base popping off at an inoportune time. Like you I will practice with my carry mags to a point of deeming them reliable then I use them for carry only and rotate the loaded mags about every 6 weeks. I also carry 5 different colors of paint pens in my range bag for marking targets as well as color coding my magazines so I know how long they've been in use.

I also like to use a second gun that's the same as my carry gun for my primary practice gun. Then I use my actual carry gun to practice maybe 10% of the time. Furthermore I keep a small notebook in my range bag that I always use to note how many rounds I've fired and on what date. This enables me to replace springs on an interval designed to anticipate and eliminate spring related failures.

You guy's actually have time to track this stuff?

For my prefered carry gun I really never have to change or rotate my 6 round rotary assult drums. (speed loaders or moon clips). For my Glocks which I occasionally cary (and 1 is always in the truck) I keep one preban hi cap in the gun downloaded by one and two more in the same condition right next to it. I occasionally pratice with them but normally reserve the rough handeling for teh 10 rounders. For the 1911'sa I jsut use Wilson mags and replace them if they start to show problems in pratic eor maches.

Hasher

RedDevil
10-25-2003, 10:54 PM
I only have one carry gun and I make sure the magazines are 100% reliable before they're carried.I also number my magazines on both my pistol and AR so I know which one is which if there is a malfunction.I load them all to maximum capacity and I have not replaced any springs in them yet.I like David's practice of dating the carry ammo box with gun serial #.My CCW instructor told us to do that and it seems like it might prevent a headache down the road in a legal situation.

Bill Lance
10-26-2003, 01:44 PM
I am a big believer in practice mags and carry mags,

JodyH
10-26-2003, 02:26 PM
I've got 4 - 16 round mags for my P99 that I use for carry, every range session (or every other week) I shoot the ammo that is in my carry gun, and load a fresh magazine up. Each of these mags has probably 400 rounds thru them.
For range use, I have 7 - 10 round mags, between the 7 mags I have over 16k rounds thru them (close to 2k rounds per mag).
Every mag has functioned 100%.
My carry mags are basically function tested, the used solely for carry and rotating out my carry ammo regularly.
My range mags are treated like crap, and only used at the range.

CarlosDJackal
10-29-2003, 10:46 AM
I have some 10-round magazines that I use for range work. But this doesn't mean I don't use the full-capacity mags I have at the range for practice, training, or competition.

I would rather find out that there is something wrong with a magazine at the range than on the street.

DaveJames
10-29-2003, 11:56 AM
I am lucky in that we are issued 6 mag's for the duty gun, and we are told to use those during qual's, the range always has replacements on hand if one should fail.
For the off duty gun I have 10 mag's and I alternate them through the month for carry, all are numbered, I keep a log on number of rounds fired through each weapon,and note which mag's are used. I do keep the box end code off of each issued box of ammo or those I purchase for off duty carry.

For all mag's that I have on hand I change out the followers and springs every thousand rounds unless they fail before then