PDA

View Full Version : Rock River Arms LAR-8 on order

chickenthrower
12-27-2007, 03:55 PM
Apparently the long awaited RRA AR10 has been renamed LAR-8 due to some copyright problem with Bushmaster. It appears the waitlist is 5-6 months but i'm on it. RRA claims 1 MOA with the 20" standard which is what I ordered, A4 model. best of all it uses FAL mags. if i'm able to get it before the next AWB i'll let eveyone know how it goes.

http://rockriverarms.com/images/r308s07.gif

MTS
12-27-2007, 05:20 PM
Did they license this from Bushmaster or is it their own design?

Section1_Operations
12-27-2007, 05:52 PM
Did they license this from Bushmaster or is it their own design?

BM sold the rights to RRA (most of them???) after they failed to solve the bolt & feed issues.

Yeah, this will be a real winner...

MTS
12-28-2007, 04:37 PM
BM sold the rights to RRA (most of them???) after they failed to solve the bolt & feed issues.

Yeah, this will be a real winner...

I recall the BM's having some sort of feed issues, what was the bolt problem?

Frank Pinelander
12-28-2007, 04:41 PM
what was the bolt problem?

Breaking, and in short order.

MTS
12-28-2007, 05:43 PM

Hopefully RR will sort things out.

Section1_Operations
12-28-2007, 07:21 PM
Hopefully RR will sort things out.

Not unless they redesign the system with the current steel to be more robust or switch to a better allow.

John Silver
12-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Bushmaster did sell the tooling, but supposedly they ran out of money to keep working with it. Their subsequent sale to Cerberus does seem to give some validation to those rumors.

Few of us can afford a real SR-25, but the DPMS .308 is getting good reviews with many thinking the quality of their .308 is far superior to that usually associated with DPMS. Of course, Cerberus just bought DPMS, too, though I never heard rumors of DPMS being short of cash.

No matter what, the RRA promises to be a fun toy. I can't imagine anyone buying it for any other reason at this point. And, hey, it's a good reason. If it proves itself, then it can be moved into the "weapon" category. Until then, put some lead down range and enjoy it.

SHIHAN
12-28-2007, 08:15 PM

Its not only a problem with the .308 there other bolts are on the soft side as well.

MTS
12-29-2007, 04:35 AM
Not unless they redesign the system with the current steel to be more robust or switch to a better allow.

I don't suppose there is any aftermarket replacement?

Section1_Operations
12-29-2007, 03:30 PM
I don't suppose there is any aftermarket replacement?

Yeah, a complete KAC SR25 upper...:p ;) :cool:

Well, the LWRC SABR should be a top contender as well as the civilian production ramp up at KAC to keep their CNC machines in business, and while limited the initial reports of the DPMS units show good short term results. However, reliability is determined in the long haul and I just don't believe DPMS has the process in place to vet their system properly like the others with enough rounds down range to make a substantial statement on their product.

MTS
12-30-2007, 04:53 PM
Yeah, a complete KAC SR25 upper...:p ;) :cool:

If it would work that would be a nice set-up, allowing you to use FAL and L1A1 mags.

chickenthrower
01-31-2008, 08:59 PM
i'm a bit shy about posting links to other forums so you'll have to find this link youself. This thread was very long and this RRA rep has handled the trolls and impatient morons with exceeding class. RRA has sucked up a lot of loss getting it right and the price on the initial orders have not changed for 2 years while R&D and production costs have gone up. the price will go up later in the year so get in line soon if you're interested. the mid-length model is already showing up on gunbroker dot com.

anyway, hopefully i'll get that phone call in a month or two. better find some cheap 7.62N. RRA was smart enough to officially make this a .308 and http://warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=11484 (http://warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=11484&highlight=7.62) says its ok to shoot 7.62N in a .308. i am planning on the rifle fighting skills in may, hopefully i'll have it by then.

11 RRAMODERATOR :: 1/25/2008 1:18:55 PM
Drum roll please.
As of today, January 25, 2007, the first commercial shipments of the RRA LAR-8 have commenced. We are starting with Mid A4 models with no substitutions, and are going in date order from the oldest orders in-house to the most recent orders for that particular model. Please DO NOT call RRA about the status of your order. Our Sales/Customer Service Department is calling those who's orders have been filled to verify that the order is still valid, and if so, the rifle will be shipped. If no longer valid, they will contact the dealer on the next order in date order. Those models which have been ordered with substitutions will be somewhat out of date order as we initially concentrate on the cataloged models. The balance of the the cataloged models will be coming into production shortly, and the same criteria will be applied to their production. These other models (Mid A2, Std A4, Std A2, and Varmint) will be brought into production one by one until all are in full production, including those with the substitutions currently available (of which more will be added shortly).
Once again, we want to thank everyone for their patience as we redeveloped this rifle into the best product we feel it could be.
Thank you.
Steve/RRA