PDA

View Full Version : Progress in your weapons of choice

sponge
10-24-2003, 09:17 AM
How many people here have done much trading to a better pistol?Buying something only to want better{mostly subjective}later on.What I want to hear is insigts or even critisism about specimans among the huge variety of pistols.
I started with the kimber1911 but did not shoot it very well,well made shot it 300 times sometimes would'nt feed PMC but winchester ammo worked fine.Then moved on to a ruger p97,felt better in hand nice trigger shot it better than kimber,but was not as well made, had failures to ignite primer every 100 rounds and the other 99 that fired showed a much lighter primer hit than i'm used to.Than i traded to a browning high power and bought a cz 75b,liked the browning better, shorter grip and stiff springs.But I eventually wanted a smaller but and went to a ruger sp101.

John Silver
10-24-2003, 09:56 AM
I think most of us go through different guns. Part of it is trying to find what we like, part of it is learning new things as we go along, and part of it is that our "needs" (wants) change over time.

I've been through a Smith 4506 (DA and too big and heavy), a whole slew of different 1911's (expensive with sporadic reliability), back and forth to Hi-Powers (9 & 40 - sharp edges and too small a caliber), a few Glocks (hard to love plastic), an HK P7 (too small a caliber and traded it on a motorcycle), back to a 1911 (geez, same problems as before), back to a Hi-Power (geez, same sharp edges and tired of paying gunsmiths to fix things like that), and now back to Glocks (screw it, I'll learn to like plastic, it works and doesn't rust.)

This doesn't even included the secondary carry guns like a Walther PPK/s (heavy), a J-frame (went with ex-girlfriend), a Colt Pocketlight (traded on the P7), a Seecamp (with all the write ups, I thought they would actually work), a Beretta 21 (a .22? what was I thinking?), back to the Walther (heavy but classic), back to a J-frame (light weight and hits hard for a pocket gun.) There were even a few K-frame Smith revolvers in there someplace.

So, don't feel too bad. It mostly has to do with finding something lacking with the pistol at the time, forgeting no design is perfect, and trying to make up for that perceived shortcoming by trying another design.

Rob96
10-24-2003, 10:16 AM
I started out with revolvers, then went on to DA/SA semi-autos. Then I bought a Glock, and liked the one typ trigger pull. Now I have two 357 magnum revolvers, G19 and a 1911. I like having one type trigger pull.

JodyH
10-24-2003, 03:31 PM
You name it I've owned it as far as pistols go.
My serious carry pistols have been the following, in order of appearance, "back in the day" to present (dates are approx.):
1988 S&W 66 .357Mag
1990 Beretta 92fs 9mm
1993 S&W 1006 10mm
1995 Glock 17 9mm
2001 Walther P99 9mm and occasionaly a Kahr Mk9 9mm
Now that I look my list over, I seem to track along with what was "cool" at the time. LOL

Brass Balls
10-24-2003, 06:42 PM
As a matter of fact I'm going through a transition in my carry guns right now. My primary carry was a Glock 30 and I don't have anything negative to say about it. It has been extremely reliable and holding 11 rounds of .45 ACP in such a compact package is quite a feat. My secondary was a Kahr MK40.

Presently I've moved over to a Kimber Compact CDP II as my primary carry gun. I'm a little more accurate with the Kimber and its slimmer slide is a little easier to carry for me during my typical 15 hours a day of carry time. I've also purchased a Kahr PM9 as a secondary gun. The PM9 is reliable and fairly accurate just as my MK40 has been but it is a full 9 ounces lighter which again, at the end of the day, makes a noticeable difference.

My third carry gun (CA, with few exceptions, allows three guns on its CCW permits) is currently up for review. The defense caliber pistol that I am most consistently accurate with is a Les Baer TRS. Besides being very accurate it has also been 100% reliable from the first round forward. This gives me a lot of confidence in this handgun but... it ain't light. Because of this I'm considering a full sized Kimber CDP II as my third carry gun rather than the TRS. I'm still undecided on this at the moment.

garrettwc
10-24-2003, 10:02 PM
I think we all go through that unless we just get real lucky the first time.

I started with a Walther P99, but got tired of needing to "special order" whatever I needed for it.
Progressed to the Browning High Power
Wanted big bore so got a Colt Commander
Wanted more features and good SA trigger so Kimber Custom.
Wanted to try a "good" 9MM so got a Sig P226, but didn't care for the DA/SA thing. So back to the Kimber temporarily.

Am thinking about going to a Glock. I think it's not a matter of better in terms of quality, but in terms of fitness for the user.

Kilroy
10-25-2003, 07:40 AM
After years of trying this and that...

Currently am REQUIRED to carry a Sig 228. An OK gun if not sensitive to maintenance.

About any Glock, except for the .380s, the 36 and until I wring one out, the 37.

Backup is another Glock, and/or a S&W 442.

PS: And this is with a matched set of carry 1911s in the gun cabinet. I used to worship upon the Browning design altar. Now I just stop in occasionally to light a candle.

michael
10-25-2003, 08:15 AM
I started out with Revolvers many years ago, model 10 S&W and then to a model 65. I then went through a Beretta 92F, several different Glocks, back to a Beretta then to a Sig P226. Carried that for years and loved it, other than the lousy 1st double action only shot. From there I left the PD so I could carry what I want, so I went to a .45 Sig P220 and then to a Glock 21. I have since went to a Springfield Armory XD-40 (.40 caliber), and it is my favorite of all. Probably won't trade it until they come out with the XD in .45, which is in the works. Gotta love a .45:)!!

Wulfenite
10-25-2003, 10:11 PM
This process is even more fun in California where you get three precious little spots on your carry permit. It takes a trip to the sherif department and 20 bucks to change your mind.

billcameron
10-25-2003, 10:36 PM
I used to shoot the 1911 a lot esp in early days of IPSC. Shot ruger and smith mid frame revolvers at the range. Also had a few smith Jframes. Switched from 1911 to Sig 220 and loved it until I started to break parts. Then along came shall issue permits and some of the guns were too big for me to conceal or had other features I didn't like for concealed carry. Traded off all my Smith J frames with external hammers for centennial style. Also got into sub compact glocks for concealed carry. Along the way had some guns I consider low quality like charter arms and kel tec. Had a very nice early kahr that just did not work for me- when firing my thumb would sometimes hit bottom of slide stop and lock slide open.

Hartford
10-26-2003, 04:33 AM
Hello All!!

Used to have a 357 revolver for being out in the woods. Had a Smith & Wesson 5906 as my tactical tool, and trained with a whole bunch of others, Bertta, Browning Hi-Powers, H&K. One day, i decided to sell the 357 and the 5906 and get a Glock 21, .45. I WILL NEVER GO BACK!!! My friends will ask if we can switch guns for a while out on the range, my reply; " Yeah, Right!" The Glock is a real fightin' tool!!!

Regards!

Yamdog
10-28-2003, 07:39 PM
For carry guns I went through the following:
Smith 686
Smith 6906
Sig P226
Sig P228
Sig P229
Glock 23
This is a little off subject but the guns I play with, I find I sell some and a few years later end up buying the same gun again. Like a Colt Commander, and a Ruger Super Single Six. One of my good friends once told me never sell a gun, just keep buying them. Maybe he was right!