PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Arms K9-GL 9mm

scout308
12-13-2007, 06:13 AM
Since selling (like a dumb ass) my Kel-Tec Sub2000 that accepted Glock 9mm mags I have regretted it. I am looking for another carbine, and would like the Kel-Tec. However, they seem hard to find. I have been looking at Oly's K9-GL. I know Oly's are not highly regarded, but was hoping for positive info on this gun. Does anyone have experience behind this gun?

Yes, I ran a search, and didn't find anything.:D

http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=59&category_id=7&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37

Hasher
12-13-2007, 06:14 AM
I got one that I am gonna get rid of and am IN Denver. However it runs on Beretta Mags.

gojira357
12-13-2007, 07:11 AM
Scout,

I ordered one in March. They said there was a 6 month wait, and like an idiot, I paid up front. After 8 months, they said it would be 9 months, and they were waiting for some parts. They said that they've had people waiting since November of last year, but since I paid up front, I'm at the top of the list.

Still no word from them.

Also, I tried cancelling the order. They said I can do that, but they'll charge me a 15% restocking fee. Restocking what? The rifle doesn't even exist! Anyways, I'm thinking of escalating this to the Atty Gen's office.

Bottom line is if you can find one available on the market, get it, because you'll be waiting a long time if you order from them.

-- Gil

scout308
12-13-2007, 07:39 AM
Scout,

I ordered one in March. They said there was a 6 month wait, and like an idiot, I paid up front. After 8 months, they said it would be 9 months, and they were waiting for some parts. They said that they've had people waiting since November of last year, but since I paid up front, I'm at the top of the list.

Still no word from them.

Also, I tried cancelling the order. They said I can do that, but they'll charge me a 15% restocking fee. Restocking what? The rifle doesn't even exist! Anyways, I'm thinking of escalating this to the Atty Gen's office.

Bottom line is if you can find one available on the market, get it, because you'll be waiting a long time if you order from them.

-- Gil

Restocking fee for a rifle that does not exist? Well, that answers that question. I'll be going for the Kel-Tec. I know this rifle does exist!! Let us know what course of action you take. Thanks for the feedback. This kind of information is very important.

Topmaul
12-13-2007, 10:12 AM
I went with the Beretta CX4 Storm 9mm carbine, for a number of reasons first it took the same magazines as my pistol, second it affords me the chance to use 32 round mags in my pistol if I have to. Third it is shorter and much more handy that a comprible AR platform. But the best thing about it is that it can be switched for left hand or right use or some features can be switched for left and some to right hand operations what ever the owner wants.

The choice is yours, I just don't think ARs are best choice for a pistol caliber carbine. The point of a carbine is to have a handy little rifle for close quarters work, so why not use a weapon with the magazine in the pistol grip like a pistol? :rolleyes:

Just my humble opinion.

The negative is that the CX4 trigger is a bit (very) stiff. :confused:

MTelkman
12-13-2007, 01:56 PM
I bought one around 2 years ago. It took about 3 months for Oly to build. I SBR'd it and installed a SWR Trident suppressor. I really like this rifle for the following reasons:
It is short and lightweight.
It allows me to practice with inexpensive 9mm ammo.
It functions reliably and is the same basic configuration as my other AR's.
It takes Glock 32-round mags, my G19 mags and my wifes G17 mags.

I own several Oly AR's and have never had any problems. Others seem to have had some problems so.......

Two things I would say I do not like about this rifle.
The mag release button was very stiff at first before it broke in. Also the rifle gets dirty very fast, but that is because of the suppressor. Without a doubt, I would buy this rifle again.

Section1_Operations
12-13-2007, 06:19 PM
While not a Colt Kool-Aide drinker, I did once own a 6450 and would recommend it as a 9mm carbine, so why not just buy a Colt since the magazines and rifle are well established?

AR6450: $1,195 (In-Stock) (http://www.specializedarmament.com/products/AR6450_AR_15_9MM_CARBINE_click_here_to_view_qty_in _stock-3-6.html)

scout308
12-13-2007, 08:46 PM
I bought one around 2 years ago. It took about 3 months for Oly to build. I SBR'd it and installed a SWR Trident suppressor. I really like this rifle for the following reasons:
It is short and lightweight.
It allows me to practice with inexpensive 9mm ammo.
It functions reliably and is the same basic configuration as my other AR's.
It takes Glock 32-round mags, my G19 mags and my wifes G17 mags.

I own several Oly AR's and have never had any problems. Others seem to have had some problems so.......

Two things I would say I do not like about this rifle.
The mag release button was very stiff at first before it broke in. Also the rifle gets dirty very fast, but that is because of the suppressor. Without a doubt, I would buy this rifle again.

MTelkman, these are the exact reasons I was looking at this particular carbine.

S1O, I am looking for a carbine that I can use mags that I already have. I wish there was a conversion kit, or Colt made this rifle to accept Glock mags. I already own a butt load of them.

Section1_Operations
12-13-2007, 11:31 PM
MTelkman, these are the exact reasons I was looking at this particular carbine.

S1O, I am looking for a carbine that I can use mags that I already have. I wish there was a conversion kit, or Colt made this rifle to accept Glock mags. I already own a butt load of them.

I can understand some of that thinking however I try to delineate between hard use gear and that which will possibly get you by in a pinch. There's nothing from Kel-Tech that I'd put in the former category, their gear is really nothing more than cheap "toys."

scout308
12-14-2007, 07:19 AM
I can understand some of that thinking however I try to delineate between hard use gear and that which will possibly get you by in a pinch. There's nothing from Kel-Tech that I'd put in the former category, their gear is really nothing more than cheap "toys."

S1O,

I have never thought of Kel-Tec as "Hard Use Gear". However, I have owned one, and IMHO it was worth the $300 I spent on it. Also, like any other gun I have owned I regret selling it. Would I take it into a combat situation no, but I would use the Kel-Tec for a personal defense carbine. Yes, the Kel-Tec Sub2000 is really nothing more than a cheap, inexpensive, fun to shoot toy.:D

SHIHAN
12-14-2007, 11:15 AM
I look at Keltec's Sub2k's and PLR'16's as something between a pistol and a rifle that you can use to fight to get to a real gun.:)

Horsesaver
01-14-2013, 07:34 AM
Deleted. This is not the for sale section.

John Chambers
01-14-2013, 07:36 AM
The post is from 2007!