PDA

View Full Version : Colt 1911 experts...I need advice

BB82
11-22-2007, 06:25 AM
As part of an estate buy, I recently acquired a Colt 1911 MKIV Series 70 Gold Cup National Match pistol with a Colt .22 lr conversion kit with 2 mags.
The Colt has a pachmeyer (sp?) wrap-around grip on it, and I wanted to return it to it's original condition. Also, the rubber grip has its own mainspring housing cover.
What I needed to know from one of you guys that knows is what was the original style grips that went on these guns? Was it the checkered ones with the gold medallion? Did they have the diamond pattern on them, or were they smooth? Also, what shape was the original mainspring housing cover? Was it curved or straight? Smooth or checkered?
Also, any info on where I might obtain these items would be appreciated.
Thanks!!!

WS42
11-22-2007, 06:41 AM
I have a regular MKIV Series 70 and it came with the checkered ones with the gold medallion and a rounded main spring housing. Hope that helps.

banzai7
11-22-2007, 07:26 AM
I believe WS is correct. But I'm no expert.
Check out http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26

the 1911forums have a wealth of info. Someone there might be able to help you out with a bit more certainty.

Jerry Rosenberg
11-22-2007, 08:18 AM
Mine came from the factory with checkered walnut grips, not diamond pattern, with gold medallion and a flat mainspring housing.

BB82
11-22-2007, 09:17 AM
Mine came from the factory with checkered walnut grips, not diamond pattern, with gold medallion and a flat mainspring housing.
-------------------------
Jerry, is yours a Series 70 MKIV Gold Cup National Match?

Kettlebelly
11-23-2007, 01:13 AM
I had a Series 70 Gold Cup back in the '80's and remember it clearly. Several people I knew at the time had identical pistols.

It had a flat, grooved MSH, and checkered walnut stocks (not "double-diamond" pattern) with the gold Colt escutcheon on both stock panels.

That was the standard set-up for the Gold Cup.

Jerry Rosenberg
11-23-2007, 08:03 AM
Yes. It is a series 70 Gold Cup National Match.

Treyarch
11-23-2007, 09:09 AM
Why not just call Colt?

Maybe you can ask them to check the records and tell you how it came from the factory, and then have them restore it to NIB condition for you?

Anthony
11-23-2007, 09:35 AM
Jerry and Kettleberry's pistols were the standard Gold Cup Series 70 configaration.
Checked wooden grips with the gold Colt medalion. - The Series 70 Government model which I bought in 1978 had the same grips.

The two pistols differed with their MSH. - The Government had the arched, the Gold Cup had the flat with grooves.

For some reason it was considered that a short trigger ( Government,) combined best with an arched MSH, and a longer trigger ( Gold Cup,) with the flat. :confused:

I put a longer trigger on my Government model, and the Pachmayer flat MSH. - Worked great for me.

You've got a great pistol combination there BB8. - But be sure to check the recoil spring in the .45 slide.
Gold Cups back then came with lighter recoil springs because it was "assumed" that the owner would buy the pistol for target shooting with 185 grain semi wadcutter light loads.

It needs a Government model recoil spring if you intend ( as I expect,) to shoot full power loads through the gun.

Regards,
Anthony.

Jerry Rosenberg
11-23-2007, 02:14 PM
Anthony is right about the recoil spring. Also, I recommend replacing the original split roll pin on the Elliason rear sight with a tight fitting solid pin or you can bet that the sight will go flying off at the wrong time. If your slide has the lightening cuts on the inside, don't use too many heavy loads. The design is really intended for 185 grain target loads. That said, I think it's the best looking Colt 1911 ever made.

BB82
11-23-2007, 08:33 PM
Thanks guys. I was going to restore it to original condition to sell it, not really to shoot it. Although I might take it out once to see if it's something that might need a permanent home in my safe.:D
I really appreciate you guys and your wealth of knowledge.
BB82

twodogstx
11-24-2007, 08:05 AM
FWIW, the Colt .22 lr conversion kit is worth some serious $$ these days.

Winchester67
11-25-2007, 03:40 PM
Mine had checkered grips with gold colored Rampant Colts on them, which I considered a bit garish. I replaced them with plain checkered diamond grips 20 plus years ago. And yes, you will need to replace the rear sight pin if you do a lot of shooting...along with the prong bushing for a solid one.

Jerry Rosenberg
11-25-2007, 04:49 PM
It's been so long I forgot about about the spring bushing. Definitely replace it with a solid one and save the original for collector value.

MacEntyre
11-25-2007, 04:57 PM
Wow! What a find!

Winchester67
12-01-2007, 07:45 AM
You know, I looked at the old spring bushing this morning. (gun guys save everything, of course) I wonder if the idea was right, but the metals of the day were not up to the task. I wonder if Smith and Wesson could go into their bag of exotic metal tricks and make a workable drop in bushing that would tighten groups and not fail....?