PDA

View Full Version : .44 AutoMag

Cold War Scout
11-10-2007, 05:22 AM
Has anybody here ever actually owned and/or fired one? Thoughts?

Big Sam
11-10-2007, 05:36 AM
Your question brings back a memory or two. Never owned one but shot one about 20 years ago. It seemed nice enough to play with but never saw much of a use for it. It had a BIG grip and was a big/heavy gun in any case. I do recall it chrono'd about 100 fps less than a 6" 44 mag revolver with 240 gr jacketed factory ammo. Guess it took a lot of gas to run the gun.

Hasher
11-10-2007, 06:20 AM
I used to shoot the heck out of one a friend owned. Pretty much a novelty.

Some were pretty breakage prone and it took fairly stout loads to run his.

By far the most fun one I ever shot was a S&W 629 a gunsmith friend rechambered to 44 Automag and he faced off the back of the cylinder so it used moon clips.

Was awesoem on bowling pins.:cool:

Al Lipscomb
11-10-2007, 06:27 AM
I had friends that owned them back in the day. Neat gun but pretty much a toy.

Bruce Piffel
11-10-2007, 04:36 PM
Bama you look familiar.....:confused:

Bruce Piffel
11-10-2007, 04:39 PM
Never shot one but tried the Desert Eagle 50 cal some 15 years ago. It was too damn big and the first ejected shell hit me right in the forehead and drew blood....:eek:

ScottT
11-10-2007, 04:43 PM
I owned one for a time. It was not as reliable as I would have hoped. Desert Eagle is a much better pistol.

cmcampbell
11-10-2007, 05:32 PM
Several of my friends had them, shot ok, but, is tempermental.

Desert Eagle .44 mag, .50 ae is, in production, cheaper, more reliable, very accurate. Can't use cast lead bullets because of the gas system.

LAR Grizzlys .45wm, .50ae are good, like a big 1911, accurate , reliable.
Out of production.

Mike Freese
11-10-2007, 05:42 PM
I owned one in 1977, it was an AMT in the original box, I got 3 boxes of Lee Jurrass ammo with it. IIRC the boxes were Red with black trim.
They were made out of 308 brass, with a 240 grain bullet.

As much as I liked the way it looked, it was not reliable. Though with the limited amount of ammo available, it is possible it might have been so should I had taken the time to experiment with loading for it.

The gun had a rather large grip, and my paws are not over sized. So to get a firing grip I had to twist the grip in my hand. As we all know, thats not conducive to good gun handling skills or recoil control.
I found it rather unpleasant to shoot.

Got it in a great deal, so...

It became my down payment on a new 1977 Dodge custom van, with a 36 gallon tank!! Not too long after that, long gas lines ,odd and even tag numbers and that 36 gallon tank led me to sell it.

And I have missed that Automag ever since. (Got another gas crisis though) Makes me miss it even more:rolleyes: .

Michael Swisher
11-11-2007, 08:11 AM
Never shot one but there is a big article on them in the December issue of Gun World. A big plus to the article is the very cute model they use to demonstrate how to shoot the guns.

Cartouche
11-11-2007, 03:51 PM
The 44 mag, auto mag. If used correctly it will remove the fingerprints. Go ahead, make my day.

firebird6
11-12-2007, 09:02 AM
Buddy has one. Shot it many times. Helped reload it many times. Cut down a .308 case or a .243 case. Inside ream it out, load powder to rifle presures and put a .44 slug on top. Boom! The guns break easy and the recoil is uncomfortable. That pistol currently has a cracked block.

My law school girl friend got a bad grade in "Stiffs and gifts" class. We took her text book to the range with the Automag. Hardback book maybe 8 x 10 or 11" and 7 inches thick. It was a reletively new book. (Tax laws had just changed it, was 1987) Two .44 auto mag shots ( I think 240 hornady hollow points but its been 20 years ago...) Shredded the book front to back. I added 2 x 9mm glasers I think they were the old blue flat point kind. They didnt penetrate 3 inches. Anyway when we were done she took the shredded book and put it in a stand on her mantle as a sculpture.

Anyway thats my automag story...

FB6

seth bailey
11-12-2007, 09:12 AM
I can't take it anymore! I've been waiting and waiting with bad 80's music playing in my head for someone to chime in with a reference to Mack Bolan! I sure hope this isn't a contest to see who withstands the urge the longest.:dope:

TrojanSkyCop1
11-14-2007, 06:59 PM
I can't take it anymore! I've been waiting and waiting with bad 80's music playing in my head for someone to chime in with a reference to Mack Bolan! I sure hope this isn't a contest to see who withstands the urge the longest.:dope:

Take heart, Seth! I myself fell in love with the .44 AutoMag from reading the Mack Bolan/Executioner novels in the late 1980s; I was in junior high school at the time, and the Bolan books, along with the spin-off series Able Team and Phoenix Force, were my initial sources for learning the technical specs of firearms a couple of years before actually learning to shoot for the first time.

Now mind you, some of the supposed "facts" I learned from these books were a tad inaccurate (for example, the authors claiming that a .38 Special snubby was "hardly effective beyond 30 feet" or that a 9mm ball round hit "like a 200-pound linebacker") but 'twas still a start for me. :o

And no, I haven't shot a .44 AutoMag yet, just the .22 AutoMag . . .:dope:

http://www.donpendleton.com/collectorsgold.jpg