PDA

View Full Version : benelli nova tatical 12 ga.

chaos122967
07-20-2004, 08:15 PM
Have asked the opinion of this forum on gun buys before and have never been let down. I am looking to buy a good home defense shotgun and am currently liking the Benelli nova tatical with the two round mag extention. Does anyone own one and if so what is your opinion. Do not hesitate to offer alternative shotguns into the equations. Heck last itme I did this I was looking at a Para and a H&K in .45 ended up with a Sig p220st and love the dang thing!!!! :D So I love to hear good options!

DaveJames
07-20-2004, 08:42 PM
Haveing shot one in the shotgun class at Blackwaqter I can say I was a bit impressed, it cycled smoothly and was spot on with the sights, with the recoil reducer in the butt it even tamed the 3" slugs we tried. Only down side for me was ,wewere told the safety is not reverseable for us lefties

chaos122967
07-20-2004, 09:00 PM
The safety is a down side. Because like you DaveJames I am a freak of nature called a lefty :D

DaveJames
07-20-2004, 10:11 PM
Excuse ME!!

Lets all remember,If the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body,and the left side of the brain controls the right side,, it only stands to reason ,that left handed people are the only ones in their right mind! :D :D

combat effective
07-21-2004, 06:02 AM
I have heard that they will fire out of battery, but I have never seen it first hand. Those that I know that have them like them.

chaos122967
07-21-2004, 08:14 AM
Hmmm.... Can't argue that logic DaveJames :D

combat effective what do you mean "firing out of battery". Forgive my ignorance on this matter.

MrMurphy
07-21-2004, 09:14 PM
I have the Nova SP with ghost rings and 5-shot tube (haven't gotten the extender yet) and an Uncle Mike's sling.

It also has the four shot SideSaddle.

Approximately 500 rounds through mine, never had any real problems. With Remington reduced recoil slugs, from the prone i can make head shots on a DPS silhouette at 100 yards on demand, and body shots are easy. With buckshot, anything within 30 yards is easy.

The only thing about the Nova is if the stock doesn't fit you, you can't change it (molded around the reciever). Mine fits me fine, so moot point.

The Remington 870 Police Magnum is the "standard" of pump combat shotguns, I've owned an 870 HD (cheaper model) and went to the Nova, but the 870 PM would be ideal as well.

KTR03
07-21-2004, 09:36 PM
I also like the magazine disconnect button in the slide. IT makes slug selection drills a snap. My only real complaint is the lack of integral lights in slides and other accessories.

THey are certainly flexible platforms and if you can handled 3.5 inch shells, the gun can too. Also a good deal for the money.

combat effective
07-22-2004, 05:20 AM
Hmmm.... Can't argue that logic DaveJames :D

combat effective what do you mean "firing out of battery". Forgive my ignorance on this matter.

That means firing without the action locked completely.

chaos122967
07-22-2004, 08:14 PM
Looks like I am going to get the nova. $235 without the extender which I will be buying from a different vendor. Thanks for your help and feel free to keep posting more info on this product....

combat effective
07-23-2004, 05:04 AM
Please post back and tell us how it performs. I don't know if the out of battery problems are common or not. It seems similar to the Glock .40 KB thing to me. It happens, but how common it is is another question.

chaos122967
07-23-2004, 05:33 AM
It might be a few weeks before I order it. But I will keep everyone posted. Thanks again for the help!

MrMurphy
07-23-2004, 07:30 PM
I've had mine for over a year and a half, it eats everything, even Aguila Minislugs, which are quite accurate at 30-50 yards or so.

DaveJames
07-23-2004, 09:23 PM
If nothing else there's a good reason to buy one, those mini slugs are realy underated

chaos122967
07-27-2004, 12:02 PM
what is the deal with the mini-slugs? Were could one find the info on these things?

MrMurphy
07-28-2004, 12:18 AM
It's a reduced recoil slug where they removed the extra "space" in the shell the RR slug's not using, making them shorter and giving you instead of say five slugs of standard length, nine minislugs ( I think that's about how many fit in a five shot tube). For short range antipersonnel use (which they were designed for) they have more than enough power, and are quite accurate. And with the extra capacity, if your gun feeds them, they're a good deal.

The Nova's shell lifter feeds them perfectly, the 870 and 500/590 take some modification I believe.

At 20 yards a friend of mine put a Minislug in the neck of a silhouette target on demand, and two more right beside it. :)

My local shop carries them, but I still need to pick up a box.

DaveJames
07-29-2004, 10:12 PM
Matt, I'm not sure, I can see where they would fit in the home defense relm,,but for the LE field I believe they need more testing, they are easier to control, and are accurate, mite make more sense in the inner cities where over penetration is a big worry, they don't appear to be as hard as the standard slug load.

Decado
07-30-2004, 06:16 AM
Does anyone know if there is a pistol grip stock available for the Nova? I am considering purchasing a shotgun, looking more at semi-auto, but am keeping my options open.

Decado

combat effective
07-30-2004, 11:48 AM
You can't change the stock on one as it is one piece with the receiver. I don't think they offer a PG from the factory.

Decado
07-31-2004, 08:01 AM
Ok thanks for the info.

Decado

Agencyman
08-03-2004, 08:53 AM
I too am looking at this gun and probably will get one soon, (when I can find that 235 price!), but I have only begun to learn about the weapon.

It seems that a rotating bolt design would be impossible to fire out of battery, with that prevention as a design criteria. Benelli has the reputation of being the highest of hi-tech.

If anyone pursues this issue please come back and post.

Thanks,
Bruce

chaos122967
08-04-2004, 03:43 PM
[QUOTE] I too am looking at this gun and probably will get one soon, (when I can find that 235 price!), but I have only begun to learn about the weapon.[\QUOTE]

My gundealer only charges 10% over cost. If I can find it at that price so can you!

7 Adam Mary 3
09-22-2004, 09:05 PM
Hello and thanks for starting a thread about this particular weapon. My local gun shop has one on sale for $299 (the best price I can get one for around this area) and I really like the looks of it. Since I'm somewhat partial to the synthetic stock/tactical models, I'm really contemplating purchasing one of these, especially since everyone here has given their favorable reviews/impressions of this firearm. Thanks again.