PDA

View Full Version : 1911's for carry

maxmanta
10-23-2003, 09:08 PM
The gear discussions around here seem very Glock heavy. Does anyone here ('cept for myself) like the 1911 for concealed carry?

Dave T
10-23-2003, 09:24 PM
I carried one variety of 1911 or another for a little over 20 years. I gave the Glock a try (still in 45 ACP) for about 4 years. In that time I fired something over 20,000 rounds learning the Glock trigger.

I am now back to carrying 1911 pattern handguns, in this case a Wilson KZ-45 Compact. I just shoot the 1911s better and finally decided it wasn't worth the extra effort the Glock demanded. That effort was better expended on the 1911.

YMMV!

M700
10-23-2003, 09:36 PM
Oh yeah! Twenty three years of carrying a 1911 as my primary handgun... Very happy years too... On and off duty.

A few years ago I bought the first Kimber I saw, and have been quite satisfied. This is not some fancy gun, added a set of Heinie night sights (Kimber didn't offer factory night sights at first) and have shot the heck out of it in the years since.

I like Glocks, I like S&W revolvers - but I'm at my best with a .45 Government model along.

Tom Givens
10-23-2003, 09:47 PM
I wear a 1911 every day, all day. Usually either a Kimber or S/A, lightly customized, in an Alessi IWB holster. I find the flat, slim profile of the 1911 perfect for concealed carry, and a crisp 4 pound trigger makes better shooting much easier. Also, I have small hands, and the 1911 fits me better than any double-column gun.

Slow Hand
10-23-2003, 10:16 PM
I'm a definate 1911 fan!! I noticed the Glock-heavy vibe here, too. I just figured it had lots to do with large percentage of folks being LEO's, not sure, though. I've tried a couple of different Glocks in my time and just can't get a handl on them, no pun intended! I've got three 1911's right now, and have been through lots of them through the years. I really liked my Kimber Compact (Commander sized) and the Springfield 'Loaded' full sized. If I could afford one, a Wilson would be a dream, but I just will have to stick to my good old Colt for now!

Doug K

RedDevil
10-23-2003, 11:12 PM
I carry a full-size Colt 1991 everyday.I've dabbled in the plastic guns but keep coming back to the 1911.For me it just fits better and aims better.I also find it conceals better than other guns I've carried.

Rob96
10-24-2003, 04:32 AM
For the most part , I carry a full sized Colt 1991A1.

Michael w/1911
10-24-2003, 06:41 AM
I now carry full sized 1911's via IWB holsters. I still carry my 229 Sigs when my wardrobe requires it, I have a greater choice in regards to holsters, at least for the time being. Shortly after the switch, I took a course offered by Tom Givens, (money well spent) on the 1911, that proved it was the better platform for me.

sionaprhys
10-24-2003, 06:47 AM
I carry a full size 1911 in a Galco Royal Guard IWB. The Glocks are in many ways a better pistol but if they don't fit your hand there's not much to be done. If Glock ever comes out with a full size single column .45 I may switch. Then again, I've been using a 1911 for so long. . .

John Silver
10-24-2003, 07:05 AM
As a design, the 1911 can't be beat - big bore, flat, low bore axis, sliding (as opposed to pivoting) trigger, short trigger reset, properly placed thumb safety, and a fantastic frame angle.

I've owned quite a few 1911s and had them worked over by some of the best names in the industry. Ultimately, I gave up on them as I never 100% trusted the reliability, especially in the age of hollow points. After hundreds of thousands of rounds, it seemed I was always fighting something. So, I switched to a Browing Hi-Power, but still missed a larger bullet. After looking at the cost of even doing the minimal work to another 1911 or .40 Browning, I just bought a Glock. The strong LEO presence and us "civilians" who are stretching their pennies are probably why this board seems to Glock heavy.

I still have two 1911's kicking around, but will probaby get rid of the LW Officers shortly.

But, if you have a 1911 you trust, I think you have about the best fighting handgun possible.

As for a full sized Glock single column in .45ACP - I say Yeah, verily! Please, please, please let their marketing dept figure out the demand for that.

Vig Creed
10-24-2003, 08:00 AM
I carry a full size 1911 in a Galco Royal Guard IWB. The Glocks are in many ways a better pistol but if they don't fit your hand there's not much to be done. If Glock ever comes out with a full size single column .45 I may switch. Then again, I've been using a 1911 for so long. . .

I too was disenchanted with the odd-ball Glock grip angle and bulky size, although I liked the hi-cap ability. So I sent a G-19 off to gunsmith Dane Burns to have a grip reduction job done. Now the G-19 has a much slimmer grip with an angle that is very close to that of the 1911. It cost about $125 and the result was well worth the money.

creed

garrettwc
10-24-2003, 10:29 AM
As for a full sized Glock single column in .45ACP - I say Yeah, verily! Please, please, please let their marketing dept figure out the demand for that.

Oh yeah!! A Glock 21 with the Model 36 "slim-line" treatment would be the stuff wouldn't it. They could sell so many of these they would have to expand the plant. I would rather see development put towards this than another obscure cartridge like the 45 GAP.

bhands
10-24-2003, 10:57 AM
Im not an expert on the matter, but I have read that there are more accidential discharges with Glocks than locked and cocked 1911's.

A few months ago an Oklahoma Highway Patrolman shot himself in the foot. The news showed him being loaded in the abmulance with a big white bandage around his foot... how embarassing. And a couple years ago a LEO in Perry, Oklahoma put a round through the floor of the courthouse elevator.

I dont know for sure what weapons these guys were carrying, but I bet it wasnt a 1911. Holstering a weapon with your finger on the trigger isnt a good practice.......... especially with a Glock.

Guess that is why a plastic plug that fits behind the trigger of a Glock is being marketed as a safety device now.

I like my 1911.

John Silver
10-24-2003, 11:00 AM
True safety is between the ears, but there are a lot of good arguments for having a nice 1911-style frame mounted safety on a Glock. Not sure how many ND's it would stop, but it would give me a place to put my right thumb when I shoot. :)

Mute
10-24-2003, 11:13 AM
Since '89. Haven't look back or turned to anything else I've tried.

garrettwc
10-24-2003, 11:30 AM
FWIW,
Obscure or not the 185gr .45 GAP Gold Dot BHJHP works very well offering expansion improvements over all currently available .40 S&W ammunition.

Whether it will succeed or not is yet to be seen.

That I won't disagree with. It seems very well designed. But based on the Ammolab tests there is such a minute difference in performance between 9MM, .357Sig, 40SW, and 45ACP I just don't see the need. But time will tell.

mako25
10-24-2003, 01:10 PM
My first 2 carry guns were 1911s. A kimber Pro Carry and a Springfield 1911A1 loaded model. No problems with either.

sgtdetdan
10-26-2003, 03:58 PM
Count me in on the 1911's also , not a fan of the tupperware gun. :rolleyes:

Alexii
10-28-2003, 05:14 AM
Fell in love with the 1911 when my Dad gave me his Ithaca 1911 he inherited from his father. Now, I can't wait to get a NRM Colt 1911 for myself.

I'll definitely invest time and money to advance my learning and to carry the Old Slabside.

sween1911
10-28-2003, 12:05 PM
The 1911 is truly my opinion of the epitome of a personal defense weapon. I do not have a huge gun collection as of yet, being married for 3 years, a homeowner for 1 year and counting, and expecting little ones, there is certainly no shortage of things to spend money on at the moment.

For carrying, I'd say it's well worth my time and expense to get quality gear and practice with it. Thus far, I'm fairly comfortable with it carried in my Wilson Featherweight IWB to help a friend do some moving this weekend, and had a skilled and experienced security professional ask me if I was carrying anything at all. (I highly recommend a big extra large fleece pull-over. Comfortable enough to wear all day, warm enough for outside, not too hot for inside, and baggy enough to conceal your sidearm of choice)

Everytime I say to myself "Why don't I get a smaller, lighter weapon?" I remember what the 1911 is all about and what it was designed for. I don't think there's another handgun that has a better track record for keeping those who depend on it in safe.

I wanted to get something that was simple, easy to maintain, and most importantly, as Clint Smith says, of size and substance to get the job done. The .45acp 1911A1 truly is all of these things. Even if it was my only gun, I'd feel far from defenseless. As I sell and buy pieces, I know I'll always have a good 1911 at the core of my collection.

Alexii, I first fell in love with the 1911 from learning to shoot my dad's Series 70 Gold Cup National Match, so I'm with you on that :).

Yamdog
10-28-2003, 04:09 PM
I have carried the Sig P226, and Sig P229 for about ten years and must say that they are both very reliable. I had some feeding problems with the 229 one time when training in a desert but found if I kept the mags clean it ran well. I carry a Glock 23 with a Robar grip mod now and I like it a lot. It also is very reliable although a little tough to tac load. I also have a 12 year old Springfield 1911 Mil Spec that has always run great, but can't carry due to departmental restrictions. I love that gun.

I must say that in the last few years I have trained with folks who are using many of the new 1911's like Springfield TRPs, Wilson's, and various others that seem to have a lot of stoppages. I know there are people who swear by these, but I have seen a lot of them stop. Actually, I don't know why they are made so tight, I don't know how accurate a pistol really needs to be for combat, but probably not all that accurate. In my opinion, reliability is the number one component for a sidearm.

JodyH
10-28-2003, 04:45 PM
Im not an expert on the matter, but I have read that there are more accidential discharges with Glocks than locked and cocked 1911's.
That's because there are way more Glocks in service with LEO's, and LEO's are some of the worst gun handlers anywhere.
More pistols in service with crappy gun handlers, equals more ND's.

sween1911
10-31-2003, 08:31 AM
What's a good economical, durable choice from the aftermarket for a black teflon refinishing on a 1911? Black T? Wilson Armor Tuff? Spray on/ Bake on stuff?

Anyone had good or bad experiences with any? Which hold up well and which are worth the money?

Buddhacop
11-03-2003, 09:13 AM
After carrying one in the Army for 10 yrs and concealed for 23yrs I feel there is no finer fighting handgun in the world for a person who is willing to train with it. Due to the S/A it is not the wpn for someone who will buy it and never go to the range or dryfire.
My current carry gun is a Kimber Custom II. My dream is a Wilson CQB or Les Baer Thunder Ranch. The KImber is fine but these two are works of art.

sween1911
11-03-2003, 10:04 AM
I've always had a special place in my heart for a few classic 1911 models by a few notable makers.

I always liked the Les Baer Premier II Super Tac - what a cool looking gun. All black-on-black teflon finish. Trigger, hammer, barrel hood, all black. With adjustable night sights, no less.

Anthony
11-03-2003, 12:28 PM
The gear discussions around here seem very Glock heavy. Does anyone here ('cept for myself) like the 1911 for concealed carry?

Best thing since sliced bread Mate !

Bought my first in 1978 ( series 70 Gov't.) Love at first sight !
I've had one ( or two ) ever since.

David DiFabio brings up a good point about the rust problem though. For a competition gun, or uniformed carry, hard crome is good, - or a stainless version.
For CCW or plain clothes ( cop ) use, ( I cannot legally carry my 1911 these days, - but have carried one in the past extensively ) I prefer a "black" gun.
Far easier to draw at night without being noticed, and held down the side of the leg, - hence "hand on the gun". There's no faster "draw". ( Yes - I know we have this thread. I've been in there !)
Anthony.

sween1911
11-03-2003, 01:26 PM
I was surprised after wearing my 1911 IWB all day a few times, the amount of sweat and lint they pick up.

But I always strip it down and thoroughly clean it after every use or extended carry session regardless. Might as well eliminate as many variables as possible that could potentially cause a malfunction and keep it squeaky clean and well-lubed at all times.

dgg9
11-03-2003, 01:40 PM
But I always strip it down and thoroughly clean it after every use or extended carry session regardless. Might as well eliminate as many variables as possible that could potentially cause a malfunction and keep it squeaky clean and well-lubed at all times.

A few more summers of that, and we'll be converting you to the Glock fold.

sween1911
11-04-2003, 10:01 AM
Don,

Glock's don't need to be cleaned/lubed?

-Joe ;)

dgg9
11-04-2003, 10:30 AM
Glock's don't need to be cleaned/lubed?

Not nearly as much. They're a whole lot more low maintenance.

I carried my G19 all summer, drenching it daily with my abundant sweat. It was not cleaned all summer, although I ushed off superficial lint weekly. After 4 months of that, I shot out the carry ammo and another couple hundred rounds without problems.

jacketch
11-05-2003, 03:48 AM
Since my first in 1967 I have had a 'trust' in the 1911that is unique to this gun. When you have to break leather, you know this pistol will get the job done.

Mil Novencientos Once
11-06-2003, 05:34 PM
People tell me at the range why I carry a 1911; these are their reasons why I should not to carry a 1911:
1. The Colt .45 is an old desing and only old scholl people like them.
2. They are too big and bulky to shoot and conceal.
3. They are unsafe because of the single action trigger.
4. Only 7+1
5. They are unreliable.

Here are my responses:
1. Handled my first 1911 at the age of 25, been in love ever since. I'm 29 now and my CCW is a SA 1911 Loaded.
2. Mine is in a Fist K1 IWB and it just disappear under a t-shirt. Besides that I have not found a gun that fits my hands better.
3. Thumb safety, grip safety, and finger off the trigger are enough.
4. Accuracy is final and a .45ACP JHP makes a big hole.
5. Practically all malfunctions can be traced to ammo and magazines. My 1911 dislikes Fiocchi and some comercial reloads. Runs like a champ with Federal's AE, Speer's Lawman, CCI, UMC, and Winchester. I've been shooting lately PMC (400 rounds) with out any malfunction.

When they finish bashing the 1911 I usally let them shoot a couple of rounds with my gun after I teach them basic operation and handling. When they empty the mag they have a big grin. Their comments are that they they like the ergonomics, the trigger is awesome, recoil is not what they've expected, accuracy is great, and finally ask how much I payed for my gun and where they can learn more of the 1911.

sponge
11-07-2003, 11:28 AM
My first carry gun was a kimber 1911 And I didnt know how to shoot yet so I traded it for a ruger p97 because its grip felt better and learned to shoot with this weapon,But don't know if the better grip made it easier to learn.Eventually I went to the revolverBut now think of the kimber again,I used a 185grain plusP truncated cone.I like the small handle of the revolver but have read about the possibility of filling down the butt on a 1911 and in combination with the thin stocks makes all of the differance for the small handed.I too hear of those five reasons against the 1911 as the above poster.
And to those I would say
1.old design is'nt wrong design,think of old works of art for example?
2.they are maybe alittle bit bigger in length but are thinner than many of the double-stack guns.
3.The reasons you mentioned AND they are unsafe to the ENEMY because of the single action trigger!
4.For the above reason and with caliber,7+1 is enough.
5.Cocked and chambered offers the better first shot reliability and with mine the feeding was fixed after finding the right load.
But I would like to know if anyone has bothered with the gripframe reduction to a 1911?

k9dpd
11-07-2003, 01:52 PM
I guess I am weird, I like a glock and a 1911, I am required to carry a glock 31c at work , I unlike many officers practice on my own time and money. I pay to go to schools, Gabes being one of them. I also own a S/A "loaded" and shoot it quite a bit and carry it alot off duty. Switching between the two has not been a problem with me. I am saving for a new Kimber TRL/TE 2 as we speak.

daniel61
11-10-2003, 02:58 PM
I carried a SW revolver for years, I dearly love the Smith 60 3" 357, and 3" 629 (Trail Boss.) I had a ND with a HS 2000, and for years was skeert of them funky triggers, but last year I bought a Glock 36, learned the trigger, then a 19,23,27,26, finally settling on a Glock 27. I have a Para 14 that is a lot of fun to shoot, and have recently been shooting a Dan Wesson Pointman which is a fine 1911. The problem is I carry while I'm working, work out in the field, and anything past about 25 OZ is just to much to carry around doing the type work I do. The 1911's sure are fine auto's though. In the woods, it's still a Trail Boss stapped on my hip.I think a lot of personal selection has to do with what type activities you daily encounter.

DLS
11-11-2003, 09:27 PM
Does anyone here ('cept for myself) like the 1911 for concealed carry?

Most definitely sir, the same 1984 STS Colt Gubmint model almost daily.

m1s90
11-15-2003, 10:38 AM
Most of the time I carry a 1911 (Kimber PRO CDP). I find the 1911 style pistol very easy to conceal and most of all it feels right. That is it is a very comfortable pistol to carry on a daily basis, NOTE: I carry all of my pistols in IWB holsters. This is due to the overall thickness of the pistol. I like Glocks (carry a 27 or 22 from time to time) and Smith & Wesson J frames (carry one of these when dress requires). But, other all the 1911 is the preferred choice; easy to conceal, rides right, and shoots 230 grains of hot love.

Take it easy

jacketch
11-15-2003, 12:43 PM
shoots 230 grains of hot love.

Great line :D

geegee
11-23-2003, 06:17 PM
I'll do my part to keep this thread going a little longer...

I carry either a Wilson Millenium protector or a Colt Combat Commander (with custom work from Teddy Jacobson), usually in a Milt Sparks Summer Special. If I'm headed out the door in a hurry, it will go in an Alessi Talon Plus. In fact, now that the weather is getting cooler around here (44 degree's right now), I'll sometimes wear my 1911 in the Talon Plus inside the waistband of sweatpants with a sweatshirt on over it. It's a great rig that Mr. Alessi has designed! geegee

Maya
11-23-2003, 07:49 PM
Kimber CDP Pro fits just right IWB with all forms of outfits, suits, 5.11's, shorts, and slacks. The only thing I had trouble with was/is with my Tux, no belt and the waist band isn't tight enough to carry in. I've been thinking about getting Gerry Evans/Haugen Handgun Leather, to make me a shoulder rig that will ride well when dancing with my lady.

As to what I load, Hydra-Shock 185 grain...sweet, or Golden Saber 230 grain...heavy! ;)

Skipper

NorthernExtreme
11-28-2003, 11:43 AM
Kimber Pro Carry HD and I'll never look back. I've tried almost everything out there and found flaws with all of them (big and small) but the Kimber feels good, points great, has a near perfect trigger, and shoots and shoots all the time every time. I can't ask for more.

I use to shoot Glock for years, and I still have and love my M-23. But when a M-22 KBd in my hand and left me bleeding on the range I lost allot of faith in the design.

Train hard, Train often and be safe.

mballai
11-28-2003, 07:16 PM
Absolutely no doubt in my mind that the 1911 is the greatest fighting pistol ever. The lack of user discipline and inadequate gunsmithing and sloppy reloading undermines an otherwise superb gun's reputation. Those issues are not limited to the 1911.

Other than the grip issue, Glocks seem to compensate for those not interested in gun mechanics and maintenance. I love mine, oogly though she is, but the 1911 has the right stuff and she is purty too.

FWIW, my G30 shoots about as well as my 1911 or my P220ST. But the trigger on the 1911 still makes it sweet for me.