PDA

View Full Version : Norinco,star,republic arms

sponge
10-23-2003, 08:44 AM
Back when I was checking gun shows i seen many underpromoted foreign makes but never aquired one.So my question is has anybody else?.I met somebody at construction school who recemended the star firestar .45.There are many others also like the norinco or astra and they are all single action for those many who still like that design.
The norinco felt pretty well made but I wound up with something else.

John Silver
10-23-2003, 09:07 AM
I worked for five years in the gun business, and I found you pretty much get what you pay for. There are execeptions of course, but not too many.

A lot will depend on what you want the gun for and how much you use it. Want to blast tin cans a few times a year with hard ball? Some of the less expensive guns will be fine. Go through 50,000 rounds a year or rely on it for defense? That's a whole different story.

About the only reliable super cheap gun I've come across is the Makarov. There are power and handling issues, but they are so over designed and built that they do go bang every time. Hollow points are a crap shoot, but ball seems to always work. Accurate little buggers, too.

Then again, I've been accused of being a gun snob, so take it for what it's worth.