PDA

View Full Version : Glock 9MM or 40SW

garrettwc
10-23-2003, 07:59 AM
OK, lets start this off by stating there are two accepted truths:

1. Glocks kaboom. But so do 1911s, Berettas, Sigs, etc.
2. All handgun calibers are inadequate. Some are just more indadequate than others.

Based on that, if you were going to purchase a new firearm, in this case a Glock, which would you purchase and why?

Obiwan
10-23-2003, 08:04 AM
9MM for me..(I own 2 G19's)

I value shot placement over caliber...and the 9mm models are simply less problematic overall

John Silver
10-23-2003, 08:42 AM
As you said, everything can go "kaboom." Frankly, Glock .40's do it a lot more often than other pistols. Don't use reloads, and if you do, use jacketed bullets, not bare lead, and you should be just fine.

Glock 9mm's go "kaboom" too, but not nearly as often. Again, I would avoid the reloads, but that's just what I've seen. The 9mm is what made Glock's reputation for reliability and you can't go wrong.

Having said all of that, I just bought a Glock .40 (model 35). I was carrying a 9mm (Browning) after years of carrying a .45 (1911), and never get myself completely happy with the smaller bullet. And, I was tired of going to gunsmiths.

If you don't care too much, buy the 9mm. If you are like me and a little part of your brain keeps nagging on you that your cartridge doesn't start with a "4" no matter how much you keep trying to tell yourself it doesn't matter, buy the .40 and don't loose any sleep over it.

garrettwc
10-23-2003, 10:27 AM
I don't reload, nor would I trust someone else's. The one kaboom I have witnessed (a 1911) was due to a bad reload.

I have determined that my needs call for something smaller than a 5" 1911.

I get good hits with 9mm, it is reliable, and David DiFabio's tests have proven that it works fine if I hold up my end (shot placement, Obiwan).

But yes, there is that nagging .4 thing in the back of my head. I know the static range is no measure of real world, but the 9MM holes seem so much smaller, and the steel seems to react much less to the 9mm.

Paul Gomez
10-23-2003, 11:06 AM
Remember this whole .45/.40/9mm thing is all about .10-inch.:)
Think of shooting a badguy. Think of getting good hits. Now imagine where,[getting good hits, hell, even getting bad hits], that .10-inch is going to be the make-it/break-it issue.

Personally, I carry a Glock M19. 18 rounds in gun (full cap mag w +2 base & 1 in the chamber) means I can fiddle with the gun less and concentrate my energy/attention where it needs to be [finishing the fight]. I carried a M1911 for a lot of years. I still have a soft place in my heart for a nicely done Gov't Model. But I carry a butt ugly, stone cold reliable minor caliber, plastic pistol on a daily basis.:)

MTS
10-23-2003, 05:31 PM
This is something I made up for the "bigger is better" debate.

Open the file up in MS word. The Red circle is .45 caliber and the blue center is 9mm. The white ring in between is .40/10mm.

Paste that on your favorite target and see the actual difference in a 9-vs-.45 impact.:)

garrettwc
10-23-2003, 06:02 PM
Sometimes I feel like a politician. Occasionally you have to hit me over the head with the facts to get my mind right. :rolleyes:

Gentleman, thank you for your unbiased, straightforward comments. They have helped me tremendously.

billcameron
10-23-2003, 07:37 PM
My glock 26 I shoot a lot and carry a little. My glock 27 (set up with same sights, trigger configuration as 26) I carry a lot and shoot a little. In both always use factory ammo with jacketed bullets. My rationale is glock 26 uses cheap ammo, but shoot glock 27 enough to be familar with heavier recoil. Also I think either little used or much used gun can fail, but failure is more likely with much used gun, so like to carry lightly used gun. Frankly I think it is nice to be able to have glock in 9mm and another in 40 that are the same frame size and therefore take same holsters, mag carriers, etc.

Grey Wolf
10-24-2003, 01:47 AM
I own a G19 and a G27... the G19 was my first pistol and I went with the 9mm over the .40 because I knew that if I bought something where ammo was expensive I would not shoo it as much.

I have put a couple thousand through my 19 and have aquired the G27 B/C I was not able to carry the Kahr K40 Covert I had while on duty as a BUG (stupid range Nazi...) but I digress :mad:

I wanted a .40 BUG because our duty weapoon is a .40 also... IMHO with the right bullets it all breaks down on your training.

Stay safe

Grey Wolf