PDA

View Full Version : What is your daily "carry" knife & why?

Vig Creed
10-22-2003, 11:58 AM
What is your daily "carry" knife, and why?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Mine is a CRKT Ryan Model Seven, 3.5" blade, tactical/work, heavy-duty folder.

It has a deep bellied blade design that is very functional for all-around use, including field dressing an elk last fall. It is
a very good, heavy-duty, user friendly, all-around knife for about $40.

Details:

Leading California knifemaker Steve Ryan is an absolutely unique knife designer and maker who specializes in tactical folders. As a student of Okinawan go gyo, Ryan blends his knowledge of the martial arts with the art of knifemaking. His knives have force of principle, force of design, force of power, typically with unique blade styles and functionally skeletonized handles. He says, "If I had to make knives that look like everyone else's, I wouldn't make them at all." There is nothing "traditional" about a Ryan design.

Ryan's Model Seven was inspired by the Filipino barong. CRKT chose to make a production model of the Model Seven because it is a strong, powerful work knife. A deep finger choil gives exceptional grip, and the deep bellied blade provides superior cutting power.

The Ryan Model Seven: A forceful design statement. And one tough, long-lasting work tool.

Creed

B0486
10-22-2003, 12:09 PM
Daily carry now would be the Strider SnG, LaGriffe neck knife.

On other days, I could put the SnG on the waist, the Military in the RFP, and the LaGriffe on the neck.

My EDC's change frequently enough so next month the lsit may be different. I don't think the SnG will be sitting at home no matter what else I carry that day.

This, in conjunction with a 640-1 .357 5shot S+W snub usually.

Brownie

John Kuhlman
10-22-2003, 12:34 PM
Used to be an Emerson SpecWar, but since I'm left-handed and couldn't convert the SpecWar for leftie carry, I now carry a Benchamde Griptillian, 1/2-plain, 1/2-serrated.

I'm still polishing a deployment technique Brownie was kind enough to instruct me on via e-mail. The blade needs to be loosened a bit, but it works most of the time.

The knife is carried in the left front pocket. I've tried Gabe's method of carrying near the belt buckle, but have had a difficult time getting a clean grip on the knife to pull it out. Perhaps I should cut down on those cookies after all...

John

gumshoe4
10-22-2003, 02:43 PM
Old, beat-up stainless Spyderco 3" with serrated blade is my daily carry blade, because I use it primarily as a work tool and I'm not afraid to get it dirty.

I have several very nice personal defense knives, including a Buck folder and a S&W SWAT folder. They're excellent knives, but I don't want to abuse them or use them for mundane stuff, so they don't usually ride with me.

The Spyderco works very well for day-to-day use and can pushed into service as a defense knife if needed.

Bob

Gabe Suarez
10-22-2003, 03:33 PM
Day or Night Everyday Carry

Cold Steel Bowie Voyager (5" blade)
Spyderco Chinook in a Mike Sastre neck sheath.

When travelling and unsure about the laws, I limit to either/or

When in the woods with backpack and rifle I add a Cold Steel Recon Tanto.

Paul Gomez
10-22-2003, 05:09 PM
Generally, a pair of well-worn Spyderco Delicas or one Delica and a Rescue Jr. Plus a neckknife. And a Leatherman.

Bodfish
10-22-2003, 05:16 PM
Cold Steel Voyager (4") fully serrated tanto blade.

billcameron
10-22-2003, 06:16 PM
Right now generally a CRKT Casper with pocket clip as it fits my Jeans watch pocket and is very concealed by my untucked polo. I have the black bladed model. Basically a tool for me. However it is something I can palm in dark parking lot, but would rather have smith Jframe. Problem with folder for me is I can not both draw fast and get blade open quickly, esp under stress. I can draw fairly fast if I draw and keep blade closed and use as impact weapon. Shape of casper fits my hand well for use as impact weapon.

michael
10-22-2003, 06:37 PM
I actually have three that I really like, but usually carry one or two in addtion to one or two handguns and my pepper spray. I had a Cold Steel Voyager with tanto blade, 4" with a broken clip. I sent it back to Cold Steel and they sent me a brand new one!!:):) You gotta love that customer service! I thought they would only replace the clip, but I was surprised. Now I feel obligated to carry it. Oh well, I could carry worse things. I also have a Spyderco Native 3" with CPM steel that is fabulous. I almost always have it. My other favorite is a Benchmade AFCK with 4" blade. Now you can see my dilemma. Too many knives, too little time:D:D My next purchase will be an Emerson La Griffe. I've become fascinated with it and can't wait to purchase one.

Paul Gomez
10-22-2003, 06:38 PM
Bill,

Bobby Kasper designed that thing to work well as an impact weapon.:) Realize that the first stage of getting a folder into play is to get it out of the pocket and get a solid grip on it. After you've got it out and in a solid grip, work on accessing it. Once you've got the blade locked open, reacquire a solid grip. It's just like shooting, don't try to go fast. Try and be smooth. Work the pieces, individually, for smoothness and then fit them together.

Persuader
10-23-2003, 03:01 AM
While in uniform at work, I carry an old Spyderco Endura. On my personal time, I usually carry my Benchmade AFCK. if I hit the backcountry, I like the added weight and strength of my SOG tomcat backed up by a Victorinox Tinker. :)

mako25
10-23-2003, 07:49 AM
Right now I'm carrying an Emerson CQC-7 and a Case Stockman. Sometimes I'll carry my Emerson-Gerber Alliance Auto instead of the CQC-7.

For fixed blades I usually carry a Cold Steel Desperado, or my Browning Mako Pro.

Drifting Fate
10-23-2003, 08:47 AM
Daily is a Spyderco Viele model. I like it because it is elegant, slender, and carries tip down which makes it easier for me to open because I do the "hold the blade, flick down the handle" thing. The opening hole on the blade is a bit occluded, so it's not a perfect design. But, I think it's one of the nicest looking knives out there. Besides, to me it's 90% tool and 10% weapon.

Outdoor knives are either a Cold Steel SRK or a Ka-Bar, though neither has seen much use in quite some time.

Lawrence Keeney
10-23-2003, 06:27 PM
Daily is a Spyderco Viele model. I like it because it is elegant, slender, and carries tip down which makes it easier for me to open because I do the "hold the blade, flick down the handle" thing. The opening hole on the blade is a bit occluded, so it's not a perfect design. But, I think it's one of the nicest looking knives out there. Besides, to me it's 90% tool and 10% weapon.

Outdoor knives are either a Cold Steel SRK or a Ka-Bar, though neither has seen much use in quite some time.

This evening, I helped dress a 4 point buck with my Fallkniven F-1 and I must say it worked incredibly well. I was able to break the rib bones with ease, and it was sharp as a razor. Furthermore, it held the edge.

I don't usually carry a fixed blade out, but if I did, for mere utility purposes, I would pack this one, maybe with one of Mike's IWB sheaths.

Today, and all week, I have been carrying a new Camo Sog Flash II as well as a MOD 685 auto with plain edge.

I think the Flash opens just as fast as the MOD does, and no police hassles.

Both are excellent blades.

Joe Talmadge
10-23-2003, 07:26 PM
I rotate a lot, but normally it's either a Scott Cook Lochsa, or a Benchmade Axis 710. Both feel great in forward grip, and work great in pakal.

Why those two? I'd say the 710 is the best production 4" bladed fighter for pakal grip (806 being the best in forward grip, but doesn't work for me in pakal). The Lochsa is an awesome knife, with the best framelock I've ever run across. Incredible edge geometry, comfortable in a forward working grip, works nicely in pakal.

Joe

silat1
10-23-2003, 07:42 PM
My edc varies from my BM AFCK (old generation) or my Kaspar Crawford folder from CRKT.. Although they are primarily tools in my job, they see use on a daily basis.. I just acquired a REKAT pocket hobbit, so that is going to see some time as a EDC until I feel the urge to replace it with something else.

In the field, I carry my AFCK and a cold steel trailmaster. Although I just received a custom bowie as a user, it will see limited time in the field as I am not out as much as I was.

Bill

dgg9
10-24-2003, 06:16 AM
Benchmade Axis 710...it just felt the best for me.

gptrent
10-24-2003, 07:35 AM
My EDC knives have evolved over the years... Currently I carry a Strider SNG and a Spyderco Carbon Fiber Delica.

I use the Delica for opening the mail, boxes, etc..

Prior to the Strider SNG, I carried an Emerson Mach 1 and prior to the Mach 1 I carried a Benchmade Williams & McHenry (#705?) Axis lock.

I have for many years carried a small pocket knife on one side in a pocket to be used for normal everyday task and a larger & stronger knife on the opposite side for "just in case".

DVC

GPT

dgg9
10-24-2003, 07:58 AM
Benchmade Williams & McHenry

I think that's the 710; that's the one I have.

Pikal
10-24-2003, 07:48 PM
I carry a Kershaw Talon, RFP, daily. Why? Although I definately didnt write it, this article on Don Rearic dot com sums it up pretty well - http://donrearic.com/southerncomfort.html
It works for me, for how I run a blade. Great pikal knife, great edge up knife (back-cutting fool it is), and more than decent as an edge down/edge out knife if thats how I get it in my hand. It works for me, thats the best reason I have, right there.

I carry a customized Endura (http://www.geocities.com/mad_tactical/Combat_Customizing.html) in my left-pocket for much the same reasons - its just a stronger blade, more suitable for utility functions, so I use it for utility as I dont want to damage the hard to find Kershaw.

sanchezero
10-24-2003, 08:34 PM
Nice, Pikal. I've been looking for one of those Talons, but I hadn't thought of just chopping my own.

Way to make me feel like an idiot.

:D

Pikal
10-24-2003, 08:42 PM
I didnt actually cut my own bottle opener on the talon - thats a factory done blade.
What I cut my own on was the Spydercos.

Brass Balls
10-24-2003, 10:23 PM
My daily carry knife is usually a SOG Pentagon Elite II. If you can get past the cloak and dagger black ops kinda name the knife is good for work and defense. Besides the 5" folder I always carry a Swiss Army knife that I use for cutting open packages and such which helps to preserve the SOG's blade and keep that sticky tape residue off of it.

The SOG has a nice sturdy blade and lock mechanism. Overall the knife is nice but it isn't so pretty that one wouldn't use it in fear of scratching it up. I find that it is handy to always carry at least one knife with a serrated blade and the partially serrated PE II handles that requirement. Another big plus when using this knife as a working knife is not only does the blade open easily with one hand, it also closes very easily with one hand by manipulating its "Arc Lock" which is similar to the Benchmade "Axis Lock".

clic pic
http://www.sogknives.com/Images/images2/SOGimages/PE2.jpg (http://www.sogknives.com/pentagone2.htm)

The SOG PE II retails for $78.99 at Knifeworks (http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2311&Category=546).

Joe Talmadge
10-25-2003, 08:38 AM
My daily carry knife is usually a SOG Pentagon Elite II.

BB -- When the knife is closed, how much of the blade is covered by the handle? Could you sharpen part of the false edge, and still have it protected by the handle, or is the blade sticking out for most of its length?

Joe

Brass Balls
10-25-2003, 10:06 AM
BB -- When the knife is closed, how much of the blade is covered by the handle? Could you sharpen part of the false edge, and still have it protected by the handle, or is the blade sticking out for most of its length?

Joe

Howdy Joe! Good to see you here.

You could sharpen exactly one inch of the false edge and it would be entirely within the handle with about an 1/8" of vertical distance between the end of the one inch and the top of the handle when closed.

Here is a picture of it closed.

http://www.sogknives.com/Images/images2/SOGimages/PE11CLOS.jpg (http://www.sogknives.com/pentagone2.htm)

Wulfenite
10-25-2003, 09:47 PM
I carry an Emerson Commander on my week side; that's the right side for me. The chisel grind was a little bit of a PITA at first, but I've got the hang of sharpening and I cant imagine carrying a folder without the WAVE.

Alexii
10-26-2003, 06:49 PM
Spyderco Chinook in plain edge.

It sits most solidly in my hand and I'm used to carrying a Police (same clip orientation) for several years so I do not have to re-acquaint myself with a new system.

mikey177
10-26-2003, 07:16 PM
Spyderco Endura with 50/50 edge (half plain, half serrated). Why? Because quality knives are often expensive in our country, and its the best value for money I could find. For example, the Endura would cost around $80 NIB if you bought it here :( Benchmade, CRKT and other brands are even more expensive.

One question: For purely defensive purposes, is there any advantage if your knife is plain edged as opposed to one that is fully serrated?

Ragsbo
10-26-2003, 07:37 PM
What is your daily "carry" knife, and why?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Mine is a CRKT Ryan Model Seven, 3.5" blade, tactical/work, heavy-duty folder.

It has a deep bellied blade design that is very functional for all-around use, including field dressing an elk last fall. It is
a very good, heavy-duty, user friendly, all-around knife for about $40.

Details:

Leading California knifemaker Steve Ryan is an absolutely unique knife designer and maker who specializes in tactical folders. As a student of Okinawan go gyo, Ryan blends his knowledge of the martial arts with the art of knifemaking. His knives have force of principle, force of design, force of power, typically with unique blade styles and functionally skeletonized handles. He says, "If I had to make knives that look like everyone else's, I wouldn't make them at all." There is nothing "traditional" about a Ryan design.

Ryan's Model Seven was inspired by the Filipino barong. CRKT chose to make a production model of the Model Seven because it is a strong, powerful work knife. A deep finger choil gives exceptional grip, and the deep bellied blade provides superior cutting power.

Knife build is our strong InterFrame construction, with dual 420J2 stainless steel liners, one locking, and 6061 T6 hard anodized aluminum back spacer. Torx fasteners are used throughout. The unserrated 3.5" blade is made of AUS 6M steel 55-57HRC. The black textured Zytel scales are skeletonized in Ryan's trademark aggressive zig-zag pattern, for exceptional grip with less weight. This is a work tool that grips you back. The blade is ground to leave maximum metal at the blade center for strength. Deep thumb grooves aid grip and tell the hand precisely where the blade is at all times. It pivots on Teflon bearings. Special massive oversized dual thumb studs are instantly available without searching. To provide the maximum in security, Columbia River has incorporated the patented Lake And Walker Knife Safety (LAWKS®), which effectively makes the Model Seven folder into a fixed blade when locked. A custom removable stainless steel clothing/gear clip completes the Model Seven package.

The Ryan Model Seven: A forceful design statement. And one tough, long-lasting work tool.

Creed
I carry a Endura from Spyderco; either straight edge or serrated. I also carry a Delica from Spyderco. I started with the Police model but it was a little to much. I like the large opening hole. I have tried the ones with the studs, but they just don't work for me. Maybe I just learned the hole first and don't want to change. I find the hole lets me open them easy with either hand or pinched grip. The knives have done everything I want and stay sharp. I also carry an old Case three blade when I am working on the farm for dirty/ruff jobs when I don't want to damge the good knives.

Gary Hartzell
10-26-2003, 08:32 PM
I have several different Spyderco's and a large and a small Emerson as well as some of Crawoford's stuff and quite a few other knives as weell including a La Griffe> I find myself wusally carrying a Spyderco Ayoob model, as well as a Delica on my off sid epocket. Bu tsometimes I carry different knives just because I can or becaus eone of the daily carry knives needs sharpening.
U hav etried the appendix carry and can not seem to deploy the knive very quickly formthere. Could jus tbne tha ti need some training.

hasher

Maya
11-04-2003, 08:09 PM
I carry day-n-night the CRKT Crawford/Kasper 3.87" plain edge. The thumb lock gives me a secure feeling since it has the liner lock setup. I recently looked at getting the smaller 3" blade but it seemed a little small after packing this one around for the last couple of years. It just feels right in my hand, no space in my palm and the leverage needed for difficult tasks. It keeps the edge fairly well and it's easy to bring back to hair popping sharpness, and I've got the cuts to prove it ;)

I'm no big guy, so I was really surprized when this fit so well in my grip, good design. I also keep a little Spyderco Cricket as my public pocket knife and money clip. It gets some looks but not like the CRKT would. I live in the 'de-nutted' PC Peoples State of Seattle, to borrow a phrase from Gabe...I like it!

Skipper

jacketch
11-08-2003, 06:55 PM
I live in the 'de-nutted' PC Peoples State of Seattle, to borrow a phrase from Gabe...I like it!

Skipper

I left PCPS of Seattle a dozen years ago so I know what you speak of. Any more mink been let out lately :rolleyes:

My usual carry is a CRKT M16-03Z. I love the flipper on the back of the blade for fast opening. This is a great knife for the money.

Sometimes I will carry a CRKT Crawford Point Guard and always a small work knife of which I have many.

Maya
11-10-2003, 08:15 AM
I left PCPS of Seattle a dozen years ago so I know what you speak of. Any more mink been let out lately :rolleyes:

My usual carry is a CRKT M16-03Z. I love the flipper on the back of the blade for fast opening. This is a great knife for the money.

Sometimes I will carry a CRKT Crawford Point Guard and always a small work knife of which I have many.

Not to divert the subject but we have a very active group of animal rights terrorists that opperates up here in the NW. Recently they let out 10,000 farm raised mink. These critters are human fed a couple times a day and have no concept of the wild or how to feed themselves. A guy I work with lives above where this farm was and he counted about 30 - 40 road kill mink the next day. God bless our "Eco-Terrorists" for these city slicker/trust fund fed/red dipper dopper babies can feel really good about this stunt....showed those capitalist animal abusers what true animal lovers can do.... :eek:

OK what blade would you use to skin these road kill mink? :D :D

Skipper

B0486
11-10-2003, 09:18 AM
Any chance of saving the pelts?

Make a coat out of them and donate it to them with a description of how the coat came to be.

Road Kill Mink, ahhhh--sounds like "Russsian Sable" doesn't it?

Brownie

longrider_57
11-13-2003, 07:40 PM
on me, i carry a CRKT apache II, my friend jerry cook gave me. i use it as part of my duty gear. keep a boot knife in the unit for backup and another folder in my raid vest.

STS
11-13-2003, 09:35 PM
A Gryphon M10 in a River City Drawpoint sheath. If I can not carry the fixwed blade then I carry a SpyderCo Keating Chinook in a River City Pocket Savior Sheath.

STS

m1s90
11-17-2003, 03:55 PM
Daily carry knife:

Emerson Mini Commander!

Why:
It works and it fits my hand great. Oh made in the USA and it looks cool too...

Take it easy

M1S90

Mute
11-18-2003, 09:39 AM
EDC:

Elishewitz Shadow

Because it's well made, it works and I like the way it looks.

However, I've been thinking of getting a Benchmade with an axis lock to really abuse.

Quick question for Joe. How would you compare the Lochsa to a Chris Reeve Sebenza?

MMAB
06-15-2005, 05:37 PM
Wow. What an old and neglected thread.

I daily carry a 3" Cold Steel Voyager w/plain blade and a 5" Cold Steel Land & Sea Rescue. The Voyager is for every day work. The Rescue is blunt nosed w/ serrated blade and Land & Sea Rescue painted on at the factory. It has just enough point that it can still stab if needed. If I ever have to stab or cut in self defense, I'm hoping the "Rescue" in the knifes name will help in front of a judge.

Mike

Joseph Timbs
06-15-2005, 07:36 PM
I carry three knives , two Coldsteel 4" Voyagers , and one modified Spyderco rescue knife .I sometimes carry a S&W Karambit that's been waved.

I never carry less than two knives , period .

Kobra
06-15-2005, 08:34 PM
CRKT-SRT. Here it is in Anatomy & Physiology class along with a sheep's brain.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/Theophorus/IMG_05762.jpg

Kobra

mpw
06-15-2005, 09:26 PM
For strictly self defense, I like a small fixed blade carried just to the left of my belt buckle: right now EDC is a KaBar TDI, but I also have carried an emerson LaGriffe and a Spyderco SPOT there (all three are excellent, IMO).

For more utilitarian purposes, I carry either a Spyderco Yojimbo or Benchmade Griptillian clipped to my right front pocket.

I also have a Shivworks Lil Loco that hangs off the back of my ID badge very nicely (when at work) as well as a few Cold Steel Urban Pals that I've sewed into various jacket lapels and sleeves.

Rex G
06-15-2005, 09:38 PM
My most carried nowadays is a Strider AR folder, because it fits me well with multiple grip methods and I like hefty folders. I often have a Tarani/Blade-tech Karambit, because I like karambits, and learned just enough to about them to feel comfortable using them for some tasks. I have long liked hookbill blades for utility, BTW. If I am wearing the right belt and clothing combination, I wear a Shivworks Clinch Pick, designed by SouthNarc. That little knife has one purpose, which has been well documented in this forum and others. I try to keep a Spyderco Rescue folder nearby, because I don't like to dull my better knives with mundane tasks. Five nights a week I wear a Spyderco Ronin in neck carry, under my police uniform shirt. I have other blades, but these are the most carried, either daily or almost daily. I really like fixed blades, and when I retire my badge, will change my daily carry ensemble accordingly, as there will be more times and places I cannot carry a handgun but can still carry a fixed blade knife.

Longrifle
06-15-2005, 09:54 PM
Cold Steel drop point Trail Guide, mostly, but I also occasionally carry an old Gerber MkII or a KaBar (Marine Combat) Its a little tougher to carry the fixed blades, but I sure like the security they offer.

pageophile
06-16-2005, 05:13 AM
I just love these treads and can't help but throw in my 0.02

Currently there is a Cuda Maxx converted to tip-up carry in my right front pocket and a sheeple friendly folder in the front left pocket.

Typically, the other folder is a spyderco of some kind or a assisted opener. Lately I've been fond of my Spyderco Native II (great all around blade) or my Meyerco A-OK (decent and cheap, won't blink an eye at losing it).

Still looking for a Emerson LaGriffe, it seems everytime I have the funds, decent priced units are scarce and when I don't deals are to be found everywhere.

While the Cuda is great, it's ripped the crap out of my pants (practise, practise, practise) and I'm going to be heading to a small fixed blade solution instead. I bought a Camillus Gran'pa Sharp Hunter (Sharpfinger clone) and will be modifing it to suit my tastes (new sheath, mod'd handle and/or blade).

Additionally, when a lower profile carry is needed, a Spyderco Civilian is tucked into the waistband and a Jones Brothers Defensive Stylus is carried in shirt pocket.

That's it and see you all around.

Stick54
06-16-2005, 07:58 AM
[QUOTE=pageophile]
I bought a Camillus Gran'pa Sharp Hunter (Sharpfinger clone) and will be modifing it to suit my tastes (new sheath, mod'd handle and/or blade). [QUOTE]

Looking at a picture of Camillus's Gran'pa, I don't think it is a clone. Considering that Schrade went out of business last year, I think that Camillus bought the design rights, and maybe even some old blade blanks, and machinery. Even the sheath is the same. Living proof that good designs never die!

kevinstruemph
06-16-2005, 08:16 AM
Voyager X2 appendix carry, Benchmade Griptillian strongside pocket. I don't have to use too many alternates because any non-permissive environments that I go to require complete disarmament.

Ever since I watched Gabe hack a target apart in CRG 1 with his Voyager I had to have one. The deterrent factor of such a large blade can only help someone of my limited training.

I remember taking my Gerber combat folder in carry-on luggage pre-September 11, and wearing a serrated Spyderco Endura in my pocket. Doing that exact thing today would mean at least a day in jail and a large fine. What a bummer.

Erik
06-16-2005, 09:36 AM
Hideaway laced in to my boot.

Chinook 2 clipped in my pocket.

Often times there is a Leatherman on my belt.

sneaky
06-17-2005, 04:17 PM
Hi all , my edc is large sebenza or custom fixed blade from jensen elite blades designed for pakal. :)

Dirty Bob
06-18-2005, 09:27 PM
I carry a small fixed blade, made from an $8 blade from Jantz Supply. I live in San Antonio, where locking folders are forbidden (though the law is seldom enforced, last month on a slow news day, the front page of the paper showed a guy being arrested for a lockback knife).

I carry attached to my keys. It works for me, and the draw is faster than you might think.

My other EDC knives are a SAK Recruit, and a Swiss-Tech Utili-Key on my keyring.

Regards,
Dirty Bob

adouglasmhor
06-18-2005, 10:30 PM
I carry a spyderco uk pen knife normally
In work I carry an Emmerson commander
If I am wearing the kilt I carry a custom Skean Dhu in my left sock (it's the only way I can be allowed to carry a fixed blade in the UK, nobody is going to believe I am a Sikh)

zoobie
06-19-2005, 12:22 AM
I have a small collection of spyderco knives. a dodo, a civilian, a manix, a stretch, a persian, a kerambit, a yojimbo and a Lil' Temperance. Usualy I just grab 2 at whim for my front pockets. My Lil' T probably gets the most consistant carry.

orion14
06-19-2005, 02:05 AM
My EDC: spyderco endura & leatherman wave, weapon and work.

MMAB
06-19-2005, 11:06 PM
Considering that Schrade went out of business last year.....

Wow, I didn't know they went belly up. Kinda sad. I have two or three Schrades and always felt like the company was "down home America". Another American company bites the dust I guess. Can't compete with cheap foreign labor I suppose.

Pikal
06-19-2005, 11:29 PM
Actually Schrade went under because they couldnt, or wouldnt, remain a competative force in the industry. They did not evolve to meet changing market-trends, relying too heavily on traditionalist collectors who were in-fact specializing themselves (higher end knives) and "regular joe" customers who were more than Schrade anticipated I think going for the new styles in knives.
From everything I saw Schrade could have stayed in business... they just had to develop a product line to compete on the current market. All their attempts at doing so which I handled were of low quality, and were short lived because of that.
For a change an American company went out of business more because of other Americans than anything else.

Sad though... my first knife was a Schrade (when I was 5 or 6), and infact my next four or five were Schrades as well. I'd have liked to see them stay competative for a long time.

mk86fcc
06-20-2005, 10:25 AM
I have one Schrade. One of the girls at church got it for me Christmas before last, since she knew I like knives. Bless her heart, she really doesn't have that much disposable income, so I made sure to look appropriately tickled when I saw it. I promptly tossed it in the safe and forgot about it. Then I found out they went under. Took it out and looked at it. It's a "100th Anniversary" edition. Nope, not worth much now, but maybe in 20-25 years still unopened in the original package...

mk86fcc
06-20-2005, 10:34 AM
Oh, as for the original question, I go through phases. I'm constantly in search of the "perfect" pocket knife. (I know - ain't no such thing. Perfect for what? And of course, therein lies the rub.) My current "phase" is an A. G. Russell™ ATS-34 Pocket Lockback with Carbon Fiber (http://www.agrussell.com/knives/by_maker/a_through_d/a_g_russell_knives/folding_knives/a_g_russell_ats34_pocket_lockback_with_carbon_fibe r.html) - suits my daily needs quite handily - i.e., it's sharp, holds an edge quite well, and is comfortable to carry. My evening walks usually find a CS 6" Voyager in my right hip pocket.

jest
06-20-2005, 03:24 PM
Older Endura, serrated, with the molded clip, in the waistband.
Schrade SS1 on the keychain (I bought 5 off ebay a few weeks ago, but they're the later model with the bad clip design, still a nice little knife, I'm giving one to my girlfriend tomorrow, we've been together a year... She's the type who thinks knives are weapons and there's not reason to carry them...)
Old SAK in the sidepocket of my backpack.
Fake leatherman buried deep in my backpack.

Leo Daher
06-20-2005, 04:38 PM

That was the first Spyderco folder I ever bought, some 15 years ago or so. It feels better in my hand than the later versions with the metal clip (which don't feel bad either). Then again, as a southpaw, I like the fact that the metal clip is reversible.

duncan_bayne
06-20-2005, 07:12 PM
A Benchmade Pika (http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=10400). Best value for money knife I've found in New Zealand so far - apparently, it's made in Taiwan for Benchmade. The only criticism I have of the knife (now that I'm used to the tip-down orientation) is a slightly firm opening action.

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~dhbayne/images/dailycarry2.jpg

While cleaning up my house (burglary aftermath), I've also found (it was lost, buried in the depths of a drawer at home) an old Medalist wooden-handled locking pocket knife, it's a cheapo but makes a great non-threatening utility knife, so I can keep my Pika nice & sharp. This will be going in my jacket tonight. I'd take a photo, but my camera was one of the items the burglars stole.

I also have two Chinese-made Spyderco knockoffs in my car; one on the arm of the drivers side door, the other on the passengers side - both held in place by velco dots. I bought them originally to see whether I'd like carrying folders on a daily basis, with the intention of replacing them with something decent if I did. Hence the Pika.

Actually, the Spyderco knock-offs are quite robust; they survived full-strength test cuts against telephone books without any damage, which I didn't really expect given the purchase price.

Masterfinger
06-21-2005, 01:28 AM
I used to carry a Cold Steel Scimitar, and I loved it. Unfortunately I lost it during a outdoors romp with a ladyfriend :rolleyes: . Now I carry an Emerson Commander (waved) which was gift from one of my students. I've read some negative comments on the Commander, but for me, it works just fine and never gives me a problem.

Franco

J Marwood
06-21-2005, 05:32 AM
I don't carry everyday as it is illegal in the UK. However if I did I'd go for a combination of the following depending on where I was going:

Ka-Bar TDI - just in front of my right hip
Artemis Hideaway - just to the left of my belt buckle (As advised in REM1 and works a treat for me in training)
Delicia - clipped inside my right pocket.

+1 on what Duncan said about the Pika. I got one recently and I was very impressed, especially at the price.

jnhrdng
06-21-2005, 09:51 AM
I carry a black spyderco SPOT knife under my shirt, hung around my neck. Its nearly impossible to be disarmed, its small, sharp and slices like a....knife....or something.

I am also fond of the cold steel ti lite. Discovered a dealer close by, Im gonna pick one up this thursday. I like it cause you can wave it open, its strong, takes and edge well, and I like the grip. And tghe pocket clip doesnt hurt my hand.

Oh, and in my right front pocket I clip a CRKT M16-03Z. I like the flipper, but I can open it with the thumbstud too. Its got a nice, long blade. No serrations on any of my blades, I hate serrations. None of these knives are used for utility, they are purely for defense.

John Chambers
06-21-2005, 11:25 AM
#1: Cold Steel 5" Voyager because I can use kinetic opening and it is the largest knife I can carry legally in Texas. It is also scarily sharp.

#2: Small Gerber folder that is PC that I can hand folks who are not smart enough to carry their own pocket knife.

#3: Brand new for Father's Day, a BKT Becker Necker around my neck. :D Wrapped the handle with 2 layers of gutted 550 cord and it is good to go. Sweet little hide out that took a very mean edge.

CplGCLukUSMC
06-21-2005, 08:35 PM
Right front pocket I carry a Benchmade model 710 with a "Surf's Up" mod from Ian Wendt (Thanx again!). I got a nice little Stinger on my keychain and my left hip I sometimes go with the Ka-Bar TDI that I made a Jerry rigged J-hook out of some wire for IWB carry (works like a charm!). I have the blades setup so that if in-fight scenarios happen, I have a blade on each side for easy access from either hand. For instance, if I am tied up grabbing the opponent with my right, I can reach for the TDI with my left and vice versa. I like fixed blades better because you get a positive grip and they are far quicker but they are frowned upon in NYC here (although from my reading of the law [NYC public saftey ordnance 10-133], they are still legal as long as the blade is under 4"). I got lots more knives but they are not allowed to be carried or they might be politically incorrect :( .

Sharkey
06-22-2005, 08:05 AM
Currently, I carry a EDI Genesis model 4in. blade (4-5 years old) I fluctuate since I have a bout 20 folders. Kershaw Blur and the Camillus Heat are also frequently carried.

I love Benchmade but their prices over the years have limited me to purchase anything new. I have about 4 older models.

Lots of good designs and not enuff pockets to carry them all.

I feel complete w/ the Kahr P9 covert in a pager pal holster, folder in 1 pocket, plastic kerambit in opposite pocket, and my noggin working in condition yellow. TX weather is heating up so the Glock 19 went back into the safe.

Monty
06-22-2005, 09:51 PM
Benchmade Griptillian, fits my hand well, action is very smooth and the lock is very solid. And not too expensive either.

Would like to pack a fixed blade but concealing a fixed blade in WV is a no-no :mad:

Chrono
06-23-2005, 02:48 AM
It's illegal to carry a knife here in Finland so of course I'm only speaking hypothetically. ;)

My fave knife at this moment is my Spyderco Delica (plastic handle and plain edge of course). I'm having it waved in a couple of weeks and then it'll be perfect.

Barry Jones
06-23-2005, 06:01 AM
My daily carry knife (I also carry a bunch of other weapons :D ) is one of our Responder linerlocks folders. It goes in my pants pocket even before my wallet does. If I forget it then I feel naked and just not right.

I carry the Responder because it is one of the most usefull tools I have ever designed and it also makes for a great weapon if I need to use it for that purpose.

If I ever lose it I will be extremely pissed but I know that I can always make myself a replacement. ;)

Ian Wendt
06-23-2005, 06:22 AM
Oh well. Might as well pipe up. My EDC carry consists of two folders, Benchmade 710 Axis Lock waved courtesy of my Surf's Up attachment and a Benchmade 630 Skirmish, also waved. Better and stronger folders you'd be hard pressed to find.

Lem
06-24-2005, 05:46 AM
I have a bunch of knives for EDC, I just pick the one(s) that are the most adapted to the situation/place, etc...

* Spyderco Delica: probably the most versatile knife I know

* Spyderco Merlin: 'cause sometimes ... you need an hawkbill :D

* Kershaw Talon: Do I really need to say why??

* Kershaw 1610 (Centofante): Superb little knife, doesn't draw to much attention

* Fred Perrin's custom LaGriffe: The LaGriffe design is probably the most copied everywhere in the world... must be for good reasons!
I was fortunate enough to get mine from the man himself!

* Shivworks Lill'Loco: all the qualities of a "modern" lappel dagger!

In command:

* Frontsight Utility HideAwayKnife
* Kershaw mini-boa
Stay safe,

Lem

Steve Holden
06-24-2005, 02:39 PM
Hi Y'all,

This is my first message.

My choice of knife for daily carry is made considering the Law in North Carolina. Only folding knives are authorized. Only an "ordinary pocket knife" is allowed. An "ordinary pocket knife" has been established by case law to be a knife of 4" or less.

For about 15 years now I have been carrying and using a Benchmade AFCK with a 4" blade. I use my knife everyday.

Last year I contacted Benchmade and explained that I had worn out my blade due to use. They explained that they could replace the blade for $35. The new blade is 154CM and has an oval hole. She said they only have a few left for the old model.

I have heard some persons badmouth the Liner Lock. I have worked this knife HARD and never had a problem, even when I tried.

Nowadays I also carry a Swiss "Adventurer" for ordinary cutting. It has a lock blade, rare for Swiss Army.

I also have a concealed weapons permit. However, it only applies to pistols. For that I always carry a S&W Model 42 in my front pants pocket. If I need a backup I carry a Glock 19 or 26 in a Law Concealment Systems IWB holster.

Steve

Pict
06-26-2005, 10:08 AM
I've been carrying the same Spyderco Endura for about five years now, plain edge. I like this knife in that it carries a wicked edge and if I'm stopped by the police it won't cost me too much to replace.

When I head for the hills I often carry a Livesay NRGS neck knife. Mac

Ike
06-26-2005, 04:17 PM
I daily carry the Spyderco Clipit Endura in my right pocket and the Spyderco Native in my left pocket.

luisb
06-26-2005, 05:29 PM
On weekdays i have to work in a suit and a tie, so i carry a CRKT point guard, and on the weekends when i can relax and wear jeans and a shirt, i carry my beloved CRKT Crawford model, it´s a big one but really nice.

SGeringer
06-26-2005, 10:51 PM
Right now it's either a CRKT Mirage or a Cold Steel Voyager tanto. Both knives are sized well for in-a-pinch self-defense and discreet carry, and both are quality knives with very sharp, durable blades. I actually prefer the balance and grip of the less-expensive CRKT, but both have and do serve me well.

kenpotex
06-27-2005, 02:53 AM
Currently an Endura (right side) and a Delica (left side), both with the wave-mod. I switched to the Endura from one of the old CUDA's (with the disc) when the liner-lock started to go (D#&$ liner-locks...I loved that knife:D)
I also carry a cheapo for the stuff you're not s'posed to use a knife for.

Doghouse Riley
06-30-2005, 08:25 AM
Lately it's a Benchmade 732 special edition with an M2 blade and carbon fiber scales.

chuckles5492
07-05-2005, 06:44 PM
I used to carry CRKT M16s. I love those knives, but I would beat the hell outta them. I'd usually have to replace them every 6-8 months. I stopped carrying them after I bought a titanium tanto that developed some SERIOUS rust from our humid Virginia summers.

Then I got an Al Mar SERE 2000. I beat the hell out of it for a year and a half. You can't really tell, though. I used this for EDC/EDK (Every Day Kutting). I even spread peanut butter with it once. The bread looked worse than the knife when I was done.

I recently replaced it with a Benchmade Gravitator. I like the knife, but I'm not sure how I like carrying it. We'll see...

Anyway, current EDC:

Benchmade 425 Gravitator
backed up by A.G. Russell One-Hand Featherweight (EDK)
backed up by Glock 30

Dr_Dave
07-06-2005, 04:29 AM
I carry a Kershaw 1620 and a Swiss Army on my belt. My girlfriend thinks I'm trying to out do Batman's utility belt.

Grey Man
07-17-2005, 03:23 PM
Spyderco Endura with Spyderedge (fully se ) I am looking into a neck knife (back up and more options) and an emerson commander soon.

Michael Biggs
07-18-2005, 02:04 AM
SPYDERCO! Either the Endura or Rescue, lately the Rescue, costs are the same about $40-50 in on base military stores. Great quality, easy to slip in pocket feel naked without. Caught some grief from a security fella in the airport once because of the sirarted edged blade.

TommyB
07-18-2005, 12:00 PM
I now carry a Spyderco Chinook II as an EDC. Handle is G-10 and fits your hand no matter how you hold it. Lock back is MBC rated. The bowie style blade looks and cuts great.

j_conway
07-18-2005, 04:22 PM
Today I have a golf umbrella, a solid plastic pen, and a V shaped grip strengthener. One day soon I'll be getting myself a Surefire E2e or something similar.

Don't get me started on weapons laws Downunder...

Edited to add: Next time I'll read the topic :) Daily carry knife - just the butter knife from the work lunch room.

Batleth
07-18-2005, 04:41 PM
I rotate what I carry depending on what I'm doing. EDC would be either a Ken Onion Scallion, or an old Cold Steel tanto bladed Voyager. When I work my medic job I carry usually a waved Spyderco Delica in left trouser pocket and Cold Steel Land and Sea Rescue knife in the pocket of my turnout coat.

I also carry an Emerson CQC7 from time to time and an Emerson Le Griffe neck knife. These are when the mood strikes me. I got an Emerson Kerambit on order, can't wait for it to come in!

geegee
07-18-2005, 08:51 PM
A Mission MPF in my strong side pocket. This knife is a perfect way for me to carry a 4" blade on a relatively slim and flat framelock, and a titanium one at that, for lighter weight.

Always a SAK for general all around utility, and a necker of some variety. Right now, a Benchmade Tether, but often a Becker Necker, or a Newt Livesay (I have several).

safestop
07-23-2005, 07:40 AM
Always carry 2. Spyderco delica, weak side front pocket for daily chores.
6" voyager strong side apendix carry for life threatening chores
Regards,
Fuzzy

eight_88888888
07-05-2007, 05:41 PM
i started with an SOG Flash II in right front pocket, the first tactical folder i ever owned. :o still carry it today, as you can see i'm relatively new to this world.

3" CS voyager, clip pt 50/50 in right back pocket, plus an SAK for utility purposes.

I just got a CS 5" tanto voyager and a Scimitar a few minutes ago on Ebay. wonder how they'll fit in?

Gabe Suarez
07-05-2007, 06:11 PM
I've evolved to an Ontario RAT-3 carried on the left of the belt buckle horizontally.

Warrior55
07-05-2007, 07:16 PM
My carry knife has lately been a Benchmade LFK(5.2 inch blade) although I own quite a few knives and rotate then into use frequently. Another favorite is my Camillus Cuda Maxx (5.5 inch blade). I also carry a Spyderco Military, Emerson LaGriffe and many others.

Though the law concerning concealed carry and knivesis not clear, the local authorities have the attitude that if a person can carry one or more guns legally then any knife (within reason) will do.

LAS22
07-05-2007, 07:26 PM
CS 4" Voyager in back right pocket

TommyB
07-05-2007, 07:42 PM
Spyderco P'Kal on strong side and Spyderco Native on off side

tacworx
07-05-2007, 08:24 PM
A Spyderco/ Tim Wegner design or one of my Bob Lum folders:D

Dont Tread on Me
07-05-2007, 08:41 PM
Emerson Commander right front pocket. The Wave feature is amazing. IWB I'm currently carrying a Benchmade Griptilian. That will be replaced by a Cold Steel Voyager 6" that I have on order from OST. Plus a really old Osborne Benchmade folder for cutting tasks.

Testing FOF (I found the right Krav school) I'm more and more impressed with Southnarc's clinch pick concept. Both the left of center position and reversed edge are perfect. Concealed fixed blades are out in CA, so I wish I could get hold of something like the Emerson Rapid deployment sheath: http://www.emersonknives.com/Gear_Sheath_Systems.html.

Ike
07-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Spyderco Native and / or Spyderco Endura.

Soren
07-05-2007, 09:09 PM
Ryan Plan B in custom made kydex sheath, horizontal draw to centerline. Plus a cheap folding utility knife. :D

SUAREZ CORPORATE
07-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Benchmade 9050, usually appendix location inside waistband.

charliefox
07-06-2007, 12:26 AM
An old partially serrated Spyderco Endura (I just can't seem to get rid of it!) and a SAK Yeoman. Not sexy, but functional:)

Uppelman
07-06-2007, 12:52 AM
This is all purely hypothetical, of course, since carrying a knife is illegal in Sweden. :p I'd carry my brand, spanking new P'Kal in the right hand pocket and my HideAway around the neck. In my humble opinion and limited experience, the two best and most innovative SD knifes on the market right now.

jest
07-06-2007, 04:27 AM
Schrade SS1 on the keychain (I bought 5 off ebay a few weeks ago, but they're the later model with the bad clip design, still a nice little knife, I'm giving one to my girlfriend tomorrow, we've been together a year... She's the type who thinks knives are weapons and there's not reason to carry them...)
Old SAK in the sidepocket of my backpack.
Fake leatherman buried deep in my backpack.

A little over two years on, I still carry the same Endura (hypothetically, as it's illegal to carry a knife ready-to-deploy here in Holland) but I have a newer metal clip version as well, stashed in the cupboard for emergencies.

Took the SS1 off my keychain as they break too quickly - replaced it with a comtech stinger type tool (defense triangle? something like that).
Still have the old SAK in my backpack and the fake leatherman has evolved into a Charge Ti.

globetrotter
07-06-2007, 08:03 AM
I carry a small fixed blade, made from an $8 blade from Jantz Supply. I live in San Antonio, where locking folders are forbidden (though the law is seldom enforced, last month on a slow news day, the front page of the paper showed a guy being arrested for a lockback knife).

I carry attached to my keys. It works for me, and the draw is faster than you might think.

My other EDC knives are a SAK Recruit, and a Swiss-Tech Utili-Key on my keyring.

Regards,
Dirty Bob

dirty bob,

that is exactly the knife I am looking for. can you tell me what the catalogue name of that blade is?

thanks

IRON BRU
07-20-2007, 01:01 PM
Bounces between Cold Steel Night Force, Ti-lite w/zitel handle, and my newest favorite, the 4 inch Voyager. Cold Steel Knives can't be beat, strong, nasty sharp,very well designed, and reasonably priced.
Always a small knife for a money clip, never carry a wallet.
TOPS ALRT on my keys

chromechicken
07-20-2007, 01:33 PM
Ka-Bar TDI, Cold Steel 5" tanto voyager, and a Cold Steel Ti-Lite.
3 might be a bit overkill, but I carry them because I don't know how I may/may not be able to access them if my arm is pinned to a wall, being gnawed on by a rabid zombie, or whatever.

Dont Tread on Me
07-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Just picked up the Ontario RAT. Great knife and as important sheath. Lots of options. It includes a belt clip and a tec-lok.

jdgiii
07-22-2007, 07:42 PM
I carry a Gerber Applegate-Fairbain Covert or a Gerber Armor in my back pocket, any number of small folders in my front right pocket (.380 is usually in the front left, and a Gerber Gator on my right hip.

I'm not sure the reason, but I haven't seen many Gerbers listed in this thread. I've been happy with the ones I've owned, they seem to be a decent quality for the price. I will probably try to buy American made from here out as I've noticed almost all Gerbers are now made in the P.R.C.:confused:

sneaky
07-23-2007, 05:23 AM
Hi All,

As of today my new edc is the spyderco P'Kal.

As an FFS guy who trains RGEI more often than not its the business:D

All the best,

Jim

perdicea
07-24-2007, 10:47 AM
Hi All,

As of today my new edc is the spyderco P'Kal.

As an FFS guy who trains RGEI more often than not its the business:D

All the best,

Jim

Ditto. I just started looking at the videos of SouthNarc and Ray and like the lethal simplicity for when SHTF. If it's not the p'kal then it is one of these other two.

http://www.jerzeedevil.com/gallery/files/1/3/5/6/DSC01442.JPG

mr. right-wing
10-26-2008, 03:42 PM
My Crusader Forge VF-01 AND/OR A Cold Steel Ti-Lite(6" zytel or 4" Titanium model)

http://www.warriortalk.com/1Z5276730241454387

bigrob
10-26-2008, 06:08 PM
I carry 2 spyderco delicas. One in right pocket is razor (plain) edge the other in left pocket is serrated. I use the plain to do my everyday task the serrated one is for defence. Just love the delicas.:D

FinnMac
10-26-2008, 07:22 PM
Benchmade 707 Sequel Mchenry & Williams design. Goes in the pocket nicely for "deep cover" in the corporate world.;)

M1A's r Best
10-26-2008, 07:38 PM
One of the bigger Schrade locking folders. The blade is serrated for about an inch and half near the base. It's easy to put a "shaving" sharp edge on it and yet it holds that edge longer than some other knives I've owned. It's not a KaBar, but it fits in my pocket and goes to work with me every day.

fifthprofession47
10-26-2008, 08:26 PM
Blackhawk Crucible Folder
Blackhawk Kalista
Spyderco Delica

BamBam84
10-27-2008, 03:06 AM
I used to carry a lot of kershaw's and Spyderco blades.until Recently that I was enlightened on more effective knives for defense perpose. I carry a Gerber combat folder and a cold steel AK-47. I like the wave action of the AK-47 and being right handed this makes it easier for my left hand to access and open it in a hurry. A design flaw was recently pointed out i regards to the locking mechanism. So I am looking for a different knife. My gereber was given to me and I love it. It is easy to open and to transition into different grips as well as it's potential double edge capability.

Mark H
10-27-2008, 03:10 AM
Right now, my business clothes work carry is a Cold Steel Prolite backed up by their Scimitar. If working in the field and I keep the Prolite as my folder but have a field amputation knife that has had the handle modified and a kydex sheath made for carry parallel on my belt line, it is sleek but provides great results for both, slashing or thrusting.

This has been a long interesting post and most carry options and reasoning for their carry have been covered. Blade selection is a very personal choice, here are guidelines and considerations I use when selecting a knife. These are in no particular order as I am just typing them up as they come to mind.

· Is this blade going to be primarily a fighting tool or will it takes care of other menial tasks such as opening boxes, cutting seatbelts or rope? I personally like to keep my primary blade exclusively as a fighting tool. This amongst other reasons is why I carry two blades at any one time.
· How does it feel in your hand, generally I prefer a blade that is front heavy for its size but as far as smaller blades go I feel this is a personal choice.
· With fully serrated blades- when any form of clothing is involved your slashing results are greatly reduced even on summer clothing like a T shirts. Although just last week we got some pics where a spiderco civilian did the trick right through a criminals work overall and put an end to his miserable existence (the cutting effect may have been reduced but not enough to make a difference to the end result). If your blade must be used for other tasks that require serrations I recommend you go for a half serrated blade.
· Unless you require a specialty blade for a particular purpose keep it simple, most “special” work can get done just as well with a blade without finger loops, complex mechanisms or fancy shaped blades.
· With smaller blades things such as tanto tip, drop point and so on are personal preferences, some can argue for hours about this but any of these points penetrate the body like butter if there is a little pressure behind them. Looks can be deceiving and a blade like the SOG pentagon that looks like a pig sticker, gives similar size blades with a larger belly a good run when it comes to slashing ability. Blades with drop points seem to be better when soft body armor is involved.
· Is the blade you are carrying your primary weapon, for many people the blade is secondary in their weapon selection and for others a last resort option.
· Some may beg to differ but size does count, yet if you are not working on the cane fields on of the sugar plantations in Natal or out in the wilderness carrying a large naked blade or a small sword in a scabbard is not an option for most of us.
· Price considerations can be an issue but there are quite a few “cheaper blades” out there that you can rely on not to break at the hilt when you twist the blade or hit bone. They still cut you and make good puncture wounds. Then there is crap, it is not uncommon to see a cheap steak knife busted off in a stabbing victim (even thought they were stabbed by crap they still often die). Buy the best blade you can with the money you have available, equipment failure of any kind can cost you your life. Here in South Africa our currency is at an all time low so even though many of the better known brands are simply a long stretch from a financial point of view. I lost an AFCK bench made a while ago and I felt nauseous for days. I got a new Bench made with an Access Lock but it is locked away in the safe for special occasions.
· Access equals success and in most instances fixed blades provide serious advantages over the fine motor skills required with most folders. Yet fixed blades require scabbards and sometimes specialized clothing to carry (especially concealed). Neck knives are great in shirts that do not need to be tucked. There are some great innovations on folders such as the wave on the Emerson commando to assist in reducing access time.
· Fixed blades have no movable parts and there is less chance of breaking a blade or it folding back on your hands. “If you know you on your way to a knife fight” take a good strong, sharp, simple tool.
· Clothing, comfort, concealment requirements, legal considerations are the primary factors that will lead you to make a choice between a fixed blade and folder as a carry option. A decent folder is sensible option for concealed carry for business men and women in smart casual clothing, some of the lighter folders serve a great purpose for sportsmen such as joggers or cyclists.
· When selecting a folder make sure that the lock is sound and the cross pin strong. Make sure your liner lock does not shock close by tapping the spine of the blade on a hard surface. Be sure that you do not get an idiot scar while testing the blade. If anyone says this type of energy won’t happen in a fight tell them to get stuffed, they won’t be doing your fighting for you. I have had quite a few of well known folder brands fold back on my fingers and knuckles, it is pretty sad that at an end of a fight the thing that may have got me hurt or killed is a lousy lock (I have had fair share of stitches from one such incident). Personally I think the Benchmade access lock is the best folding blade locking mechanism on the market. When I do get a liner lock it goes straight to the machine shop to have the locking edged worked on.
· I do not like locks that need to be secured by a secondary manual lock, this requires fine motor skills. I immediately think that these are there because the primary locking mechanism can not be trusted. Some of the newer locks on the CRKT range engage the secondary locking automatically and this does help. Quite a few of the guys looking for a blade they can afford in South Africa go with this option.
· Assisted release and spring loaded blades are great toys but the less working parts the less the chance of mechanism failure so these are blades for my cool gadgets collection.
· Test any knife you plan to use to save your life, rather have it fail in training than when you really need it.

All these factors and probably a few more come into play when you have the luxury of weapon choice at your finger tips. If you have to travel you may find yourself stuck with a cheap blade with no lock at all, a crappy steak knife or a screw driver. You may be in a country or state that limits or prohibits certain types of blades (or all blades) and their attributes. Take the time to learn how to adapt to using equipment that would not normally be your weapon of choice. Most stabbings in South Africa are carried out with the cheap OKAPI, this will cost you R15 ($1.50) at any roadside hardware or café. The edge they come with is dull so with no alterations you loose a large part of your slashing ability but the point goes in just fine and thrusting is the primary action used with these cheap knives. There is even a model out with a ring lock that is more reliable than most liner locks. You just have to know how to open the thing.

All the best
Mark

michael
10-27-2008, 05:53 AM
Good information Mark, thank you.

I agree with you on the Benchmade axis-lock. It is by far my all-time favorite folder, but with the price increase since they have been discontinued, mine is kept in the safe as well. I now carry an older Benchmade AFCK with the liner lock, but I have tested it, and it is sound.

Additionally, I carry a waved Spyderco Delica and, when working in uniform, another Spyderco Delica concealed in my vest. I have experimented with attaching my Spyderco Ronin to my vest, but have not found a satisfactory way of doing so yet.

Dont Tread on Me
10-27-2008, 06:18 AM
Mark - I assume you're in the AMOK! South Africa group. The information flowing from you guys is really valuable. Thank you.

Michael - I'm with you on the Benchmade AFCK. Why they discontinued it, I'll never understand. The Ronin is a similar deal now. I fitted one to my car visor but want to reconsider as they run $200 on ebay.

Fitting a knife to a vest is an intersting question. Benchmade make a "Lash Tab (http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=981607X)" that you can sew onto clothing and clip that mates to it and screw to your sheath. I've done that with my life preserver for kayaking and it is solid, but not solid enough for SCUBA.

I wonder if vest carriers are just not "solid" enough to do that. Mine is pretty flimsy (Second Chance) and I could see the material not holding the knife firm.

eight_88888888
10-27-2008, 06:36 AM
Although just last week we got some pics where a spiderco civilian did the trick right through a criminals work overall and put an end to his miserable existence (the cutting effect may have been reduced but not enough to make a difference to the end result). If your blade must be used for other tasks that require serrations I recommend you go for a half serrated blade.

· Access equals success and in most instances fixed blades provide serious advantages over the fine motor skills required with most folders. Yet fixed blades require scabbards and sometimes specialized clothing to carry (especially concealed). Neck knives are great in shirts that do not need to be tucked. There are some great innovations on folders such as the wave on the Emerson commando to assist in reducing access time.

Thanks Mark, great info. I'd ask you to post some of those pictures but I have a feeling they are too graphic for this thread. :dope:

I'd tried neck knives before, but sometimes they bounced around under the shirt while I was moving and I had to fish around under my shirt before I found it. Is there some way to remedy this?

As my primary I haven't been carrying much else besides my Cold Steel Recon 1 Tanto, PE that I traded for with ArmedLiteralist. :) The trusty Boker Wharcom still rides in the back pocket.

I also got a Benchmade TSEK (thumbstud version of the AFCK), but like you guys I find her too rare and expensive to wear regularly. :D

michael
10-27-2008, 06:40 AM
Michael - I'm with you on the Benchmade AFCK. Why they discontinued it, I'll never understand. The Ronin is a similar deal now. I fitted one to my car visor but want to reconsider as they run $200 on ebay.

Fitting a knife to a vest is an intersting question. Benchmade make a "Lash Tab (http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=981607X)" that you can sew onto clothing and clip that mates to it and screw to your sheath. I've done that with my life preserver for kayaking and it is solid, but not solid enough for SCUBA.

I wonder if vest carriers are just not "solid" enough to do that. Mine is pretty flimsy (Second Chance) and I could see the material not holding the knife firm.

I had no idea the Ronin's were that much now! I guess I've made some good knife purchases.:D

The lash tab is interesting, and I had not seen that. Thanks. I don't know that the tec-lock on my sheath will attach to it, and like you said, I doubt the carrier is strong enough for it to work well. It is a thought, though.

PERVADER1
10-27-2008, 09:17 AM
I like the wave action of the AK-47 and being right handed this makes it easier for my left hand to access and open it in a hurry. A design flaw was recently pointed out i regards to the locking mechanism. So I am looking for a different knife.

Could you elaborate on this?

PERVADER1
10-27-2008, 09:25 AM
Benchmade 910 D2 Stryker or Cold Steel AK-47 100% of the time.

Dont Tread on Me
10-27-2008, 09:26 AM
wave action

This might be worth a separate thread, but I'm weaning myself off waves. I'm finding that I need room to draw my elbow back for a wave to engage. It works fine in front of the mirror (you looking at me?) but fails when grappling if you cannot get your arm back. Plus, I'm carrying knives IWB in addition to my pocket area which shuts down often when I'm wrapped around someone. I'm expecting now to get the blade out closed and use it as a short stick for a while to "earn" to space to open the blade with two hands (no CDI factor, I admit).

I wish I could figure out how to carry a knife high on my body. I've got a surefire pen clipped between my top two buttons at it is really a good spot for accessing when sitting/grappling.

I don't know that the tec-lock on my sheath will attach to it,

You have to purchase the "clip" that mates with it. The tec-lock is not compatible.

The Ronin is my favorite fixed blade - I just cannot afford another one!

shamalama
10-27-2008, 10:24 AM
Meyerco Blackie Collins Assisted Opening A-OK Folding Knife

http://www.commonfolkusingcommonsense.com/pics/guncontrol/myknife.jpg

Blade measures 3-1/4", knife measures 7-1/2" open.

Eric
10-27-2008, 10:44 AM
...I'm carrying knives IWB in addition to my pocket area which shuts down often when I'm wrapped around someone. I'm expecting now to get the blade out closed and use it as a short stick for a while to "earn" to space to open the blade with two hands (no CDI factor, I admit).

Which is why I like to carry my blade in the corner of my front pocket & my pistol @ 5, IWB Cavalry style (palm facing out) so I can easily slip my hand behind my back with no elbow print. EDIT: I carry a 5" Voyager, pretty much sleep with the dang thing.

I've found much the same as you, though with pistols. Which is the main reason - next to comfort - I don't carry AIWB.

I don't seem to have a problem getting to my blade while grappling, carried in the 'crook' of my right front pocket. An alternate would be in your back pocket, next to your wallet, or even IWB. Also Cavalry style. Think 'parade rest' for the visual.

peregrine
10-27-2008, 12:49 PM
Which is why I like to carry my blade in the corner of my front pocket & my pistol @ 5, IWB Cavalry style (palm facing out) so I can easily slip my hand behind my back with no elbow print. EDIT: I carry a 5" Voyager, pretty much sleep with the dang thing.

I've found much the same as you, though with pistols. Which is the main reason - next to comfort - I don't carry AIWB.

I don't seem to have a problem getting to my blade while grappling, carried in the 'crook' of my right front pocket. An alternate would be in your back pocket, next to your wallet, or even IWB. Also Cavalry style. Think 'parade rest' for the visual.

Is CCW legal where you live?

GargVet
10-27-2008, 12:52 PM
Cold steel voyager 4" slacks 5 inch jeans everyday everywhere . along with my ccw.

Eric
10-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Is CCW legal where you live?

Its 'discretionary', which is code meaning that you have to be hooked up with the local PD. Anyone else, no dice. Doesn't keep me from training, nor from walking around my property with it.

I usually wear my airsoft in carry kydex when training H2H.

EDIT: Hope to get both Florida and SC (own property in SC) soon so I can carry outside NJ, at least.

Avenger2616
10-27-2008, 03:10 PM
Thanks Mark, great info. I'd ask you to post some of those pictures but I have a feeling they are too graphic for this thread. :dope:

I'd tried neck knives before, but sometimes they bounced around under the shirt while I was moving and I had to fish around under my shirt before I found it. Is there some way to remedy this?

. :D
8's-
One route I use for a neck knife is to put it under my armpit, where you'd draw it like a vertically hanging pistol (i.e. straight down)
My EDC blades, depending on the day and my clothing consists of my Byrd Raven, a CRKT MyTighe in my pockets and a Byrd Robin in the outer pocket of my Maxped.
I also own a TDI medium that gets carried fairly rarely under the left arm or appendix carried when I'm wearing a belt.
-A-

LAS22
10-27-2008, 04:15 PM
4" Cold Steel Voyager in right pocket. 3" Gerber folder in left pocket (for various everyday tasks)

RS44MAG
10-27-2008, 04:35 PM
Cold Steel Voyager 4 inch

Bloodnut
10-27-2008, 04:41 PM
Wow! What an old thread to revive. But thi is always a fun one.

Spyderco Manix, plain edge. Built like a tank, holds a very nice edge, and can mount the clip any way that you please. I finally found my "one" knife. Has this one about a year or so. I was never completely satisfied with previous blades (some more expensive than the Manix); but the Manix is it - for a folder.

mwestbro
10-27-2008, 05:33 PM
I've finally settled on a Spyderco Little Temperance drop point folder in my right front pocket. It has a good lock, a flat ground blade which cuts astonishingly well, and a grip that feels like it was made for my hand (though it does tend to force you into a saber grip). Inside the waistband behind my right hip is a Boker wharncliffe Subcom folder. I put the clip beneith my belt and no one knows it's there. And even though they aren't exactly knives, I have to mention the Atwood PryBaby and the Leatherman Micra on my keyring.

michael
10-27-2008, 08:18 PM
Wow! What an old thread to revive. But thi is always a fun one.

Spyderco Manix, plain edge. Built like a tank, holds a very nice edge, and can mount the clip any way that you please. I finally found my "one" knife. Has this one about a year or so. I was never completely satisfied with previous blades (some more expensive than the Manix); but the Manix is it - for a folder.

I had never seen that one, but looked it up online. It has been discontinued, but ebay has a few. They are probably going to get real expensive soon. Looks like a great blade.

southsippiman
10-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Fixed blade Schrade Old Timer. A gift from my brother. I have the sheath held together with duct tape. It gets a lot of wear and tear.

kazvar
10-29-2008, 06:08 AM
When just walking around, I carry a Cold Steel Recon 1 with a Tanto tip. I like how it snaps out, it is small enough to not be seen easy, and is a dark color to not glare when I don't want it to. It is my if I get in a fight knife.

When at work I also carry a CRKT M16-13Z. It snaps out easy as well and is short. It is not the best blade to pull off a belt or out of a pocket, but it does the job. I mainly use it to open boxs and stuff.

When I wear a belt, most of the time, I carry a Karshaw 1080ST AUS8A by Ken Onion on it. The blade has a gentle curve to it to allow you to cut through what ever you need to. But from the tip of the blade to the bottom of the hilt it is still a straight blade. It is well balanced and grips really good in my had. I am not fond of the plastic handle, but it is ok.

Malcolm.J
10-31-2008, 05:44 PM
Buck Strider SNG

Cacti Rat
11-01-2008, 08:44 PM
The Cold steel Kobun

5 1/2" fixed blade, Tanto point.

I prefer a fixed blade when ever possible.

kabar
11-01-2008, 11:37 PM
Some sort of CRKT tactical folder... let's see... it's a Mirage. Whatever. I found it under a dryer at the apartment complex I was living in about a decade ago and it replaced the Spiderco Delica I'd lost a few weeks earlier. All I can say is it's "good enough." I don't understand the need for $100 pocket knives.

cobra-ak
11-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Benchmade Infidel

Dont Tread on Me
11-03-2008, 09:35 PM
Benchmade Infidel

How did you afford it! Can you say a little about how the knife carries, opens, etc.

mike
11-07-2008, 02:46 PM
This week the Microtech SOCOM Elite Tanto. It depends on what I'm wearing where I'm going etc. Some times I even carry 2. I try to swap knife every week (too many to chose from?!). Next week it's the Shivworks Clinch Pick.

bookman
11-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Benchmade mini AFCK I've had for over 15 years.

Marmot452
11-07-2008, 04:41 PM
At work (office setting, NPE) - Kershaw Leek G10 and a Hideaway knife (HAK) around my neck

Everyplace else - Blackhawk Crucible folder and a Hideaway knife around my neck - + another HAK on my key ring.

jb001
11-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Cold steel Ak47 and spyderco endura or nativeIII

Pogo the Clown
11-10-2008, 05:01 PM
MOD Razorback backed up with a Kershaw Speed Bump.My 2 latest toys.I can never have enough toys.

limamike55
11-10-2008, 05:05 PM
Emerson Commander or a Benchmade CQC7.

Vinnie Moscaritolo
11-11-2008, 07:35 AM
honestly, I like cheap. I carry the Byrd Raven.. they cost me $20 and work really well. I don't care if I lose it or not and for the usual work kind of stuff they are great... buy 10 of them for the cost of yer fancy knives.

My favorite folder is the latest generation of Keating Chinooks. I did have to modify some of the silly Spyderco changes to smooth it out a bit.. so I guess maybe that's two knives sometimes.

when I am in a NPE I sometime carry a Vaquero Grande usually in the waist band.. Maybe I just get a kick out of reaching into my pants and whipping out my "Big Cowboy" ..:D
(sorry I couldn't help that comment..)

ScottT
11-11-2008, 09:08 AM
Gunsite Tanto Folder from Cold Steel.

Lightweight but rugged and easy to get out of the pocket and opened.

Lawrence Keeney
11-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Folks

I know they are no longer made, but Im really beginning to like the Camillus Heat asssisted opener folders.

Mine holds an edge well, pops open fast and has a great blade shape. I use mine for all sorts of daily tasks, and I feel it would be good for self defense.

Camillus is out of business, but smoky mt knife works has a bunch of them for sale at reasonable prices..take a chance on them if you can find one.

southcraig
11-14-2008, 10:36 PM
Here is my picture of my personal carry knives:

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/16/l_6d46c97b81d34fdf8365822cf5872015.jpg (http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.editAlbumPhoto&albumID=1748595&imageID=25826952)

CRKT Special Forces M16-14SF
CRKT A.G.R. RINGER 1 2250
Fox Ruko F480 Karambit
Ka-Bar® U.S.M.C. Fighting/Uitility Knife

vernonator
11-17-2008, 08:08 AM
Folks

I know they are no longer made, but Im really beginning to like the Camillus Heat asssisted opener folders.

Mine holds an edge well, pops open fast and has a great blade shape. I use mine for all sorts of daily tasks, and I feel it would be good for self defense.

Camillus is out of business, but smoky mt knife works has a bunch of them for sale at reasonable prices..take a chance on them if you can find one.
I carry a Camillus Tanto as well - love it. You can still find them online for a good price. I have 3 actually 2 - tanto and one drop point.

GoCodeBravo
11-17-2008, 08:16 AM
I switched to the Kalista this weekend. I used to carry a large, dual tang, CRKT M16 black folder. The CRKT is still my back up, depending on clothing (esp when tucked shirt is required). Switched to a fixed blade, mostly for speed and muscle memory simplicity. Just draw and deploy, whether I'm on my feet or caught off guard and running, or knocked down). Cave Man Simple!

http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/blackhawk/images/15KL00BK.jpg

Flyinrock
11-17-2008, 08:31 AM
Its' just a itty-bitty SwissArmy that has a razor edge, a pair of tweezers, a toothpick, and scissors.
I've owned and carried a lot of blades and the funny thing is, this itty-bity blade always is there. I don't plan to get into any knife fights and if I do, hopefully I can end it with my 1911. If not, I hope I can outrun the jerk who wants to cut me up!
As for the rest, well it depends on what needs to be cut. Then I can reach for the most reasonable blade that will do the required job. It amuses me to see all the hype about different mfgs and the publicity HS
and the folks who buy into it.

rikkitikkitavi
11-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Benchmade Griptillian

Cheap, fast opening....cheap

fokket@hotmail.com
11-23-2008, 07:06 AM
Planning to carry a HAK, the legality of knife carry in Korea is that it has to be lower or equal than 6cm (about 2.5").

Although most officers don't mind a folder, but better be safe than sorry

Cold War Scout
11-23-2008, 07:22 AM
These days I'm packing a Voyager X2.

Fitpro
11-23-2008, 08:09 AM
CWS,

Off thread but what is your favorite rifle these days? You are one knowledgable son-of-a-gun on weapons of choice, among other things. My blade is the younger brother of yours, a Voyager XL.

Cacti Rat
11-23-2008, 08:19 AM
I've evolved to an Ontario RAT-3 carried on the left of the belt buckle horizontally.

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/ProductImages/RAT3.jpg

Now that's a pretty interesting knife.

Cold War Scout
11-23-2008, 08:38 AM
CWS,

Off thread but what is your favorite rifle these days? You are one knowledgable son-of-a-gun on weapons of choice, among other things. My blade is the younger brother of yours, a Voyager XL.

Not even remotely true. Most guys on this forum know way more than me.

My personal favorite rifle of all time is the G3 (HK91).

For me the most practical to own in the USA has been the M-16 platform. Much of that has to do with the fact that I was an 11B in the 70s for 6 years so I have a great comfort level with the platform.

I hope to buy an AK next fall sometime. But who knows. There could be a tectonic shift in things by then.

bae
11-23-2008, 11:17 AM
A Spyderco Endura, and this:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/tacmedic45/009-12.jpg

Scottman
11-23-2008, 03:37 PM
Bae- that is a beautiful bowie knife :)