PDA

View Full Version : Fox Labs question

aerochris
07-10-2004, 01:44 PM
Hi everyone. After reading some of the threads on this site, I purchased a couple of the 3oz. Fox Labs OC sprays. The label says it has 2% OC at 5.3 million SHU. It seems that most other sprays have a higher percentage of OC but lower SHU. Could someone please clarify which aspect is more important for personal defense? It seems that a higher percentage of OC would be more effective but that's just my initial feeling. Hopefully someone out there knows a lot more about this than me.

Just so everyone knows, the people at Fox Labs are some of the most courteous people I have dealt with. They were very interested in my purchase and made sure that I was educated and comfortable with their product options.

Thank you,

Chris

Steve Camp
07-10-2004, 02:41 PM
My understanding is that the SHU rating tells you how hot the spray is. So, a high SHU rating means that it will be very hot, and supposedly a better deterent -- or more effective.

The % OC, on the other hand, is an indicator of how long the spray will remain effective. 10% OC effects will last longer than 5% OC which will last longer than 2% OC.

So it would seem that FOX Brand OC is one of the hottest out there, and should be effective (if the BG is going to be affected by OC)... but those effects will not last as long as a 10% formulation. I cannot say how long (how many minutes, for example) the Fox 2% 5.3Million SHU spray will remain effective. Nor can I tell you how long a 10% OC formulation from another brand will remain effective. Maybe someone else can clarify the effective time lengths.

DaveJames
07-10-2004, 08:16 PM
shu= Socvile Heat Units, the burning agent

THe more heat the better, % of agent should stay at lest up around 5%, but its not critical,as long as you get the one with the higher SHV rating