PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen these films?

Seppo Vesala
10-22-2003, 01:13 AM
There are some training films that seem interesting and that I have considered buying. Before I invest my money, I would like to know if they are worth the relatively high price. The films I am about to order are:

- Calibre press: Surviving edged weapons
- Ralph Mroz: Extreme close-quarters shooting
- Andy Stanford: Advanced fighting with firearms
- Jim Grover: Combative pistol
- Jim Grover: Defensive shooting series (4 tapes)
- Jim Grover: Inside the crucible series (5 tapes)

Of course, info on other films related to close quarters combat also would be appreciated.

Finally, can anyone recommend some good training films that concentrate on operating in low-light conditions? It seems to be very hard to find films fitting into this category. There is one such film (Night shooting techniques) available at www.uws.com (http://) but the length is only 17 minutes. In Louis Awerbucks´ Only his count, there supposedly is some flashlight techniques. But that´s just about all that I have been able to find on the subject.

I would be most thankful for any advise.

MDTS
10-22-2003, 05:28 AM

Seppo-

I have all of these tapes and recommend all of them.

Surviving Edged Weapons is an older film that has been widely used for PO awareness training purposes. This film was produced with the help of Leo Gaje of Pekiti-Tirsia fame, an EXCELLENT art to study for those of us who can only carry small knives 4in. or less. Guro Dan Inosanto (a student of Gaje's) is also in the film. This film contaons one of the first video presentations of the infamous "Teuller Drill".

Ralph Mroz Video is more of a study/comparison than an instructional video. He discusses the pro's and con's of different close range handgun techniques popular today and yeaterday.

Andy Stanfords tapes are all good providing a refreshingly open minded review of hangun and long-gun skills. The thing I like about OPS is that these guys are constantly out doing professional development to enhance not only their own skills but the OPS curriculum. MR. Gomez is a good example as seen in his postings here- You lucky son-of-a-gun!

All of Jim Grover's tapes are good. Practical, realistic information. The Combatives Tapes contain a lot of basic techniques but thats what works 99% of the time. They have some interesting training methods as well.

Grover's Defensive Pistol series is excellent for the beginner looking to get an idea of what intermediate and advanced training has to offer. Great coverage of basics skills and drills. This series also has a section on low light shooting techniques. Only "shooting" though, not "search" techniques in low light situations.

The Crucible series is a video highlight of the Individual Protective Measures Course offered at the Crucible. (not taught by McCann personally anymore from what I understand). It previews some of the training done at this 5 day course - kinda jumps aroud though.
But still full of training techniques and tactics for the always curious stident.

Hope this is helpful.

Chris

Paul Gomez
10-22-2003, 05:34 AM

You won't be disappointed with any of these titles. Surviving Edged Weapons is somewhat dated, but it is a benchmark in training tapes. Mroz' tape goes over most of the commonly taught responses to close range encounters and discussing the pros & cons of each. Andy's AFWF touches on several different topics, including lowlight usage. Kelly McCann's stuff is all outstanding. He, also, goes into some lowlight stuff on his Defensive Shooting series. His Combative Pistol tape is particularly outstanding.

Drop me an e-mail at Gomez'@'opstraining.com Remove the ' 'around the @.

Seppo Vesala
10-23-2003, 01:27 AM
Thank you all for good advise. Now I can safely order those films, knowing that it is a money well invested.

cdi
11-15-2003, 07:03 PM
I'm a big calibrepress fan; generally you can't go wrong with them (I've been to two of their seminars, too). No idea about Mroz. Also a big Kelly McCann fan. Unfortunately, I have Stanford's Fighting with Firearms tape, and I was pretty irritated that I spent money on it. There's better stuff out there. I even liked the first Gunsite Tactical Pistol tape (which I didn't like that much) better. Not a big fan. I know he's well respected here and elsewhere, but I'm not a big fan. No bone to pick, just irritated that I spent my money on that tape.

C.

VaughnT
12-14-2003, 08:16 AM
I just bought McCann's first tape in the Crucible series and am looking forward to getting the rest just as soon as possible. It was like a breath of fresh air after that Wilson Combat tape and I learned a few good things. I especially like McCann's training style and irreverant attitude.

Another series that interests me is the Burkett series on shooting faster/better. My only concern here is that it seems to be focused on IDPA/IPSC style shooting and not real-world stuff. Could the gaming info help? For $50, you get three tapes...or I can order the rest of the Crucible series and pay $50/tape....all the while hoping that they have information that I can use.

Still, of all of the folks you've listed, Seppo, Grover/McCann is the only one that I feel is worth the money, or won't bring feelings of buyer's remorse like those Magill tapes.

Brooklyn South
04-23-2004, 08:50 PM
I'd then go to www.uws.com and order SURVIVAL SHOOTING TECNIQUES.

Is this the video done by Calibre Press? If it's the one I'm thinking of, it starts with interviews with both inmates and officers.

Good Shooting!

SMDS141
04-29-2004, 11:55 AM
The best of the bunch in your list, IMHO, would be the 4 part series by Grover ( his newer tapes are not much more than a rehash of his earlier material.) and Surviving Edged Weapons.
I'd then go to www.uws.com and order SURVIVAL SHOOTING TECNIQUES.
I met Morz at a recent LEO conference and he confided in me that NONE of the techniques he shows in his tape are pratical---which was the whole point of his tape, according to him.
I'd then invest in a good instructor and tons of ammo.

I own just about everything put out by (alias) Jim Grover, he just doesn't put out bad products. I recommend his book to everyone here!!! "Street Smarts, Firearms & Personal Security".