PDA

View Full Version : CBP is also hiring Border Patrol Agents!

TrojanSkyCop1
09-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Keep in mind that while Border Patrol is part of CBP, this is a separate position from the CBP Officer position I announced in a separate thread (it's unbelievable how people read/hear the phrase "Customs and Border Protection and automatically assume Border Patrol; kinda like how people automatically assume you're a pilot when you tell 'em you are/were in the Air Force:rolleyes: ).

We actually have an Employee Referral program going in, so if you're interested in applying for Border Patrol Agent, email me or PM me with your DOB and valid phone # and I'll be happy to refer you! Best of luck, fellow WTers, and Happy Hunting!

Tom Sasser
09-08-2007, 01:51 PM
I wish I could, but my cruddy eyes disqualify me.

hiflyer51
09-08-2007, 02:34 PM
My daughter just got accepted by the Border Patrol last week! Her academy class starts at the end of the month in Artesia. She applied about 6 months ago, and is very excited about getting in.

Erich
09-08-2007, 04:02 PM
Yay, Artesia! :) (Congrats to your daughter, and good looking-out TSC1!)

TrojanSkyCop1
09-08-2007, 08:53 PM
My daughter just got accepted by the Border Patrol last week! Her academy class starts at the end of the month in Artesia. She applied about 6 months ago, and is very excited about getting in.

Congrats to you and your daughter, hiflyer! :cool: Does she know yet where she'll be stationed post-Academy?

hiflyer51
09-09-2007, 06:43 AM
Thanks. She will be stationed at Chula Vista (sp?) just south of San Diego.

TrojanSkyCop1
09-09-2007, 09:41 PM
--HiFlyer,

San Diego is gorgeous, in spite of the fact that it's in the PRC/PRK.

Turns out one of my old CBP/FLETC classmates just graduated from the Border Patrol Academy (he'd barely finished CBPO training and gotten back to San Ysidro, when BP came a-knockin' with a job offer).

And I just got a call fro one of my old USAF buddies who returned from 7-month deployment yesterday and is already scheduled to take the BP written test.

hiflyer51
09-10-2007, 02:31 PM
I think BP is looking to hire about 6000 agents between now and the end of 2008. On their unofficial site honorfirst.com it has all the academy classes listed and it looks like 1 or 2 a week thru nest fall. Their was a big front page article in the employment section yesterday in the Houston Chronicle about the Border Patrol. They have a big push on now, so if anyone is interested this is the time to apply.

Nanuk
09-18-2007, 08:05 PM
The BP is looking to build up to 20,000 agents by the end of FY 09. That is scary.... It was at about 3500 when I came in in 1988.:p Good luck to your daughter. Tell here to start running, it will help her. She will need a GOOD quality pair of running shoes. Tell her to take lots on notes and prep her study skills. It is a hard Academy, but not impossible.

Guantes
09-18-2007, 08:10 PM
I saw an add on the tv today. Bp was advertising a day long recruiting/hiring seminar in Spokane, Wa.

hiflyer51
09-18-2007, 09:03 PM
The BP is looking to build up to 20,000 agents by the end of FY 09. That is scary.... It was at about 3500 when I came in in 1988.:p Good luck to your daughter. Tell here to start running, it will help her. She will need a GOOD quality pair of running shoes. Tell her to take lots on notes and prep her study skills. It is a hard Academy, but not impossible.

Thanks Nanuk. I think she is good shape to start the academy. She has always been an athlete. Presently she does Crossfit, runs and rows. Also she had 2 years of college Spanish, and a degree in Criminal Justice. She also has her CCW and has had some tactical training in handgun(including FOF training) , shotgun and AR15. She is really gung ho about this opportunity.

michael
09-19-2007, 08:01 AM
Thanks Nanuk. I think she is good shape to start the academy. She has always been an athlete. Presently she does Crossfit, runs and rows. Also she had 2 years of college Spanish, and a degree in Criminal Justice. She also has her CCW and has had some tactical training in handgun(including FOF training) , shotgun and AR15. She is really gung ho about this opportunity.

Sounds like she is going to be an asset to them! Tel her congrats, and to keep up the good work. If she is doing Crossfit, she will be well prepared for the academy.

hiflyer51
09-19-2007, 01:10 PM
Thanks Michael and Nanuk! My daughter knows that the academy will be tough, but she is mentally prepared for it. She starts on 27 Sept.

TrojanSkyCop1
09-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Tell her to take lots on notes and prep her study skills. It is a hard Academy, but not impossible.

+1 on that. My two roomies tell me the Border Patrol Academy academics were a helluva tougher and not nearly as cut-and-dried at the CBP academics.

Nanuk
09-20-2007, 07:53 PM
Thanks Michael and Nanuk! My daughter knows that the academy will be tough, but she is mentally prepared for it. She starts on 27 Sept.

I know she will do good...Thats my birthday.......I started with the BP 19 years ago on the 25th......:D:D

hiflyer51
01-25-2008, 07:43 PM
Just a follow up on my daughter started the Border Patrol Academy on Sept 27 class 717. My wife and I attended her graduation today! We are a couple of very proud parents!!

TrojanSkyCop1
01-25-2008, 08:01 PM
Just a follow up on my daughter started the Border Patrol Academy on Sept 27 class 717. My wife and I attended her graduation today! We are a couple of very proud parents!!

AWESOME!!! Congrats and blessings to your daughter and her proud parents on this hard-fought and well-earned achievement!!!!! :) :cool:

RJT
01-26-2008, 08:20 AM
Hey hiflyer. I attended the ucws class with you. I currently attend crossfit houston. Is that where she went? Also, how did she do with the physical part of the BP academy? Congratulations on her graduation! Robert

hiflyer51
01-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Thanks TSC1 and Robert, she did very well in the PT and it was probably her favorite part of the program. They did a lot of metcon workouts at the academy, oly lifts, kettlebell exercises, pullups, pushups, burpees, turkish getups, and of course a lot of running. She did most of her crossfit training either in my garage gym or on her own.

Southern Gunman
01-27-2008, 11:44 AM
Just did the drug test this past Friday. From what I'm hearing I hope to be in the academy by March.:D

TrojanSkyCop1
01-28-2008, 10:42 PM
Just did the drug test this past Friday. From what I'm hearing I hope to be in the academy by March.:D

Best of luck, SG, and keep us posted! :)

Nanuk
02-16-2008, 06:11 AM
Good luck. Keep your head and heart in the game.

Southern Gunman
02-21-2008, 09:36 AM
Got my letter yesterday:D . Just waiting for a start date:cool: .

Sir Moose
02-22-2008, 01:17 PM
There seems to be quite a few BP people here. I've been with BP for 11-1/2 years now (not an agent though) on the northern border. Anybody else up north?

TrojanSkyCop1
02-23-2008, 12:09 AM
There seems to be quite a few BP people here. I've been with BP for 11-1/2 years now (not an agent though) on the northern border. Anybody else up north?

--Sir Moose,

Welcome to WT!:cool: I believe our fellow poster Nanuk is one of your fellow northern "border rats," IIRC.

Nanuk
02-26-2008, 04:09 AM
Sir Moose.... I have been an Agent for 19 years. I have been in Grand Forks for a dozen years... Welcome aboard.:D

RWB
02-27-2008, 07:33 PM
Southern Gunman,

I'm teaching at the BP academy right now (Firearms Division) so you may run across me at some point. I'm the skinny, sun-burned guy talking about how the 5-ring is Nirvana and that by meditating on the front-site and trigger-pull, you generously allow your bullets to achieve a higher state of being, consequently taking the BG into the next life with them. I've also compared shooting to Zen Archery, but not many people are familiar with the concepts involved there so I tend to get blank stares.

It's an entertaining job. Hot, dry, windy, dusty, thankless, middle-of-nowhere, and worth every minute! All of the "you might be a cop if..." lines are applicable, and we get some that most departments would never dream of.

Nanuk
03-12-2008, 06:55 AM
RWB, If you run into Brian, another skinny guy in the firearms division with an affinity for FAL's tell him Bob from ND said hey.:D

Southern Gunman
03-19-2008, 07:23 AM
I start the academy April 3rd.:D

TrojanSkyCop1
03-21-2008, 12:13 AM
I start the academy April 3rd.:D

Awesome, best of luck! I take the ICE Special Agent written test that same day, so wish me luck as well! :cool:

Southern Gunman
03-21-2008, 06:39 AM
Awesome, best of luck! I take the ICE Special Agent written test that same day, so wish me luck as well! :cool:

Cool... hope it goes well for you. Any idea where you'd be working?

ffhounddog
03-21-2008, 08:31 AM
Well according to my brother if you fail the spanish you are washed out. Does not matter if you ace the rest.

TrojanSkyCop1
03-21-2008, 01:46 PM
Cool... hope it goes well for you. Any idea where you'd be working?

Most likely stay in the Southern PRK for the time being; as much as the politics suck here, at present I'm unable to afford the relocation costs.

TrojanSkyCop1
03-21-2008, 01:48 PM
Well according to my brother if you fail the spanish you are washed out. Does not matter if you ace the rest.

Muchas gracias por la informacion, Senor Perro; la intento a acordarme en el futuro si y cuando obtendria el trabajo. ;)

Sir Moose
03-21-2008, 02:45 PM

Only applies to Border Patrol - not to ICE.

RWB
03-21-2008, 09:28 PM
Only applies to Border Patrol - not to ICE. Yah, if ICE needs someone to speak Spanish, they call the Patrol.

ffhounddog
03-25-2008, 11:05 AM
I do not speak spanish I speak French and German. That is enough for what I do.

It did work in New Orleans.

TrojanSkyCop1
03-25-2008, 08:15 PM
I do not speak spanish I speak French and German. That is enough for what I do.

It did work in New Orleans.

Merde, merde alors! Ach, Scheisser! :D

TrojanSkyCop1
03-26-2008, 10:55 PM
TSC1's Take: Any current or former BP Agents who can corroborate this? It reminds me of the horror stories, starting in the mid-1990s, about the dumbing-down of standards in the miliutary's Basic Training schools . . .

================================================== ========
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,341532,00.html

A mandate to hire 6,000 new border agents by the end of 2008 has lowered qualification tests, concentrated four months of training into 10 weeks and is raising concerns that recruits won't get the proper training they need to protect the borders.

Richard Pierce, executive vice president of the National Border Patrol Council, a union that represents 11,000 rank-and-file agents, said the guidelines don't allow time for proper training of new agents.
“The field training program is largely computer-based ... it’s not the hands-on approach this job requires,” Pierce said. “When they get in field, they don’t have the basic information required.”
In May 2006, President Bush outlined a plan to increase the border protection force by 50 percent, from 12,000 agents to 18,000. In an effort to speed up the training process, the Border Patrol academy has condensed 88 days of basic training into 55, which would get boots on the ground at a much greater pace.
By October 1, half of all Border Patrol agents will have less than two years of experience, says Pierce. “So essentially, what we have is trainee agents teaching trainees out in the field.”
/**/
Pierce said that along with the youth factor, the agency could be taking on an aging force as well. “The Border Patrol has raised its entry-level age from 37 to 40,” he says, which would make for a retirement age of close to 60 for agents in the field. “This is not a job for a 60-year old, I can assure you,” he says.

According to the Border Patrol's website, the academy no longer requires a high school diploma or GED for entrance, and passing test grades have been lowered from 85 percent to 70.

Background checks are another concern. Pierce said the Border Patrol is farming the work out to private contractors and no longer using the FBI, which is more thorough but also more time-consuming.

“The Border Patrol is using contract employees right now to do background investigations, where it used to use FBI agents," Pierce said. "The contract program isn’t even finished before the employee is hired. We have employees in the academy who have not completed background checks.”

Deputy Chief of Border Patrol Ronald Colburn disagrees. “We’re doing a great job of both quality training of the personnel that we deploy and of checking on their backgrounds,” he argues. “That said, does one or can one slip through the cracks, as they say? Yes.”

Colburn concedes the plan presents some problems, such as an increased youth force. “When I surveyed the field ... and talked to the top leadership, what concerned them most, it really was the youthfulness and the inexperience that we were deploying into the field.”
But he said that the increased number of agents will ultimately mean safer and better protected borders.

Not so, said Pierce. As pressure on the border continues and as worries mount that some new recruits aren’t suited for the job, Pierce is clear in his appraisal: “The Border Patrol is going to pay a price for this in the long run.”

RWB
03-27-2008, 05:11 AM
“The field training program is largely computer-based ... it’s not the hands-on approach this job requires,” Pierce said. “When they get in field, they don’t have the basic information required.”

The FTO program has been expanded from 8 weeks to 12 and is more structured, so what a trainee learns isn't dependant on who his or her FTO is. Instead the trainees are getting a more extensive experience with the FTO program. Our FTOs used to only concentrated on what the individual FTO thought was important, which meant that some trainees worked the train-yards a lot, others worked "The Line", and most never saw the inside of a courtroom or saw what happens during prosecution or intell-gathering. That is supposed to have changed under the new program.
The computer-based training (CBT) is replacing the old "Post-Academy" training that we had and covers only the continued academics that we used to get in a regular classroom. The CBT has nothing to do with the field and is not a reflection of field performance. The trainees are still tested regularly during the CBT and can be terminated for not meeting minimum standards (for whatever that's worth).
As for standards being lower, I'm not sure. Every generation thinks it had things harder than the next, and the things I've seen in my short time teaching at the academy lead me to a similar view, but I know that my perspective isn't objective. I think a lot (but not all) of the grumbling is just resistence to change.

The only thing resembling evidence to support the idea of lower standards is that at the station-level we were told that we were not going to get trainees terminated for bad performance; that's the academy's job. Here at the academy we've been told that we're not going to get a trainee fired for bad performance; that's the station's job. From that, it seems that no matter how poor a trainee's performance, so long as they pass with at least minimum scores, nothing else matters. We've had trainees do some moronic things on a consistent basis and be retained.

On that, we might have a higher proportion of less-than-exemplary trainees, but we do still have some really good people come through. I'm hoping that the few higher-quality agents we're getting somehow offset the (delete explative)s we're getting.

hiflyer51
03-27-2008, 08:29 AM
My daughter recently graduated from the BP Academy, in fact, the last full length class. Her class had 25% washout for various reasons. Her background investigation was by the FBI and very complete. I was surprised at all the people that were contacted by the FBI regarding my daughter's application.

My daughter has a degree in criminal justice, experience working for the sheriff's dept, and is in excellent physical condition.

She has told me that the continuing training and the FTO training at her station are excellent. Based on what I have heard from her I think that she is being very well prepared for her job.

Of course, I have no way to compare the BP training now to that in the past. I can say that my daughter did say that they had several people show up for her class that would have a very hard time meeting the physical requirements of the academy, and they did not.

lostone1413
03-27-2008, 11:06 AM
Who the heck would want to go into BP? If you do your job the Government won't back you up! In fact that same Government will put you in jail for doing what you are paid to do. Maybe it is just me but that doesn't make and sense to punish someone for doing their job at all.

Nanuk
03-27-2008, 06:23 PM
My daughter recently graduated from the BP Academy, in fact, the last full length class. Her class had 25% washout for various reasons. Her background investigation was by the FBI and very complete. I was surprised at all the people that were contacted by the FBI regarding my daughter's application.

My daughter has a degree in criminal justice, experience working for the sheriff's dept, and is in excellent physical condition.

She has told me that the continuing training and the FTO training at her station are excellent. Based on what I have heard from her I think that she is being very well prepared for her job.

Of course, I have no way to compare the BP training now to that in the past. I can say that my daughter did say that they had several people show up for her class that would have a very hard time meeting the physical requirements of the academy, and they did not.

Congrats to your daughter. You should be a proud father. The Border Patrol Academy is the toughest in the federal government. It is much easier now than it was, but still nothing to be taken lightly. The attrition rate for the academy used to be about 40%. It is a good career dispite all of the negative press and the few unfortunate situations that happen. The 2 agents in jail screwed up, I agree that their sentence was far too harsh, but they did violate the law and policy.

RWB
03-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Who the heck would want to go into BP? If you do your job the Government won't back you up! In fact that same Government will put you in jail for doing what you are paid to do. Maybe it is just me but that doesn't make and sense to punish someone for doing their job at all.
The Patrol can be a really great job. For those of us who love working alone in the middle of nowhere, it's a dream come true. Being an hour from TinySpeck, AZ or NotOnAMap, NM, tracking down a group of illegals or chasing a drug smuggler is damn fun!!
The instances of agents going to jail occured not because they were strictly doing their jobs, but because either they screwed-up in some way and it backfired on them. I don't care for some of the restrictions under which I have to work, but I suck them up and forge on. I, and many of my fellow agents, work hard to do our jobs despite management (no offense Nanuk) and keep our noses clean so that the Mexican Consulate doesn't take our heads off. Others decide that they don't like a new restriction and they're not going to abide by it. This gets them in trouble. We need to realize that we're not in the Old Patrol. We can't break someone's jaw because they irritated us; we don't have "Designated Hitters" anymore; and we can still try to do our jobs even with one hand tied behind our backs and our feet nailed to a board. I can't believe that someone wouldn't love the feeling of taking a violent criminal out of circulation. If I have to be very diplomatic about how I do it, so be it. I still get to look back at the cop-killer, various drug smugglers and dealers, and child molesters who I had a very active hand in putting behind thick walls so that they are no longer a threat to society.

The Patrol occasionally irritates the hell out of me, but I still have a lot of fun at work.

HiFlyer51, what class was your daughter in, do you know? What station did she go to? No, I'm not trying to pick-up a new ex-girlfriend, I'm just curious if I know the area and what she'll be running into.

lostone1413
03-27-2008, 06:49 PM
I just think it is a shame the way the Government doesn't back you like it should. I don't know many in BP but i've talked top a couple of them. The ones I talked to seemed glad to have the minute men down their with them But the Government called them vigilantes. To me that would show me when push comes to shove how the Government will back BP. I might add the ones i've talked to seem like a great group. Be hell to get shot when the Government won't back you 100% Take Care

TrojanSkyCop1
03-27-2008, 07:54 PM
The Patrol can be a really great job. For those of us who love working alone in the middle of nowhere, it's a dream come true. Being an hour from TinySpeck, AZ or NotOnAMap, NM, tracking down a group of illegals or chasing a drug smuggler is damn fun!!
The instances of agents going to jail occured not because they were strictly doing their jobs, but because either they screwed-up in some way and it backfired on them. I don't care for some of the restrictions under which I have to work, but I suck them up and forge on. I, and many of my fellow agents, work hard to do our jobs despite management (no offense Nanuk) and keep our noses clean so that the Mexican Consulate doesn't take our heads off. Others decide that they don't like a new restriction and they're not going to abide by it. This gets them in trouble. We need to realize that we're not in the Old Patrol. We can't break someone's jaw because they irritated us; we don't have "Designated Hitters" anymore; and we can still try to do our jobs even with one hand tied behind our backs and our feet nailed to a board. I can't believe that someone wouldn't love the feeling of taking a violent criminal out of circulation. If I have to be very diplomatic about how I do it, so be it. I still get to look back at the cop-killer, various drug smugglers and dealers, and child molesters who I had a very active hand in putting behind thick walls so that they are no longer a threat to society.

The Patrol occasionally irritates the hell out of me, but I still have a lot of fun at work.

HiFlyer51, what class was your daughter in, do you know? What station did she go to? No, I'm not trying to pick-up a new ex-girlfriend, I'm just curious if I know the area and what she'll be running into.

--RWB,

FWIW, both my current and immediate past roommates were BP Agents in Douglas, AZ, before becoming fellow CBP Officers at L.A./Long Beach Seaport. They loved the Patrol but hated Arizona (okay, they liked the friendlier gun laws and lower taxes, but hated everything else), and since transfers in the BP are (according to them at least) a near-impossibility if you're not at least a GS-12, the only way they could get out of AZ was to apply to the CBPO side of the house.

--HiFlyer51,

I know I've already said this, but congrats again to your daughter! :)

hiflyer51
03-27-2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks Nanuk and TSC1.

RWB
03-28-2008, 12:07 PM
--RWB,

FWIW, both my current and immediate past roommates were BP Agents in Douglas, AZ, before becoming fellow CBP Officers at L.A./Long Beach Seaport. They loved the Patrol but hated Arizona (okay, they liked the friendlier gun laws and lower taxes, but hated everything else), and since transfers in the BP are (according to them at least) a near-impossibility if you're not at least a GS-12, the only way they could get out of AZ was to apply to the CBPO side of the house.
Yah, x-fers are somewhat difficult and VERY limited. Almost everyone (including me) hates the town they're stationed in, but I know I couldn't work a POE. Sucking fumes and dealing with 10,000 people a day would send me over the edge.

lostone1413
there are a lot of problems, but I know that there'll be problems no matter where I go. When I first got to my station, I was told that the Patrol is what you make of it. That is very much the truth. The folks who are disgruntled and constantly in trouble tend to bring a lot of it on themselves. There are many more who are frustrated and wish things were different, but find ways to have fun. We know that we aren't likely to get the higher-level support we need, but I had that when I was a bank teller 10 years ago; I think that applies no matter the job.