PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 1300 defender (thinking about buying)

ajamesp51
10-17-2003, 10:25 AM
Does any body have experience with this shotgun? I am thinking about buying one, I like the 8 shot capacity and the true glow front sight (as well as the bead back up front sight). What about the speed pump. any reviews coments would be helpfull. Oh I also like the price 225 compaired to 275 mossberg or 300 for an 870.

John Silver
10-17-2003, 12:09 PM
Not a bad gun, but I think the Mossberg and Remington have proven themselves more in the field.

The Win does have a very fast, strong action which is smoother than a Mossberg. The buttstock how ever is very weak. If you "bump" into anything (think butt-stroke), you are going to bend the screw and break the stock.

Overall, nice home defense gun for the price. I wouldn't subject it to too much serious dirt and grime, though. My advice is pay the extra for the Rem and don't look back.

sanchezero
10-17-2003, 01:35 PM
I have one and it's been great.

I'm not much of a shotgun guy tho, so I don't really care. I got it 'cause it was ridiculously cheap; I only paid $100 for it and accessories that I sold peicemeal for $75.

:)

Charles Rives
10-19-2003, 02:56 AM
I've got one. I bought it in the early 90's and I've probably put 2000-2500 rounds through it. It's always worked and has been reliable for me. I even took the Defender through a sporting clays course one time (great on the close crossing shots, not so good for the simulated goose stages).

I like mine enough that when I decided to buy another sporting shotgun, I bought another model 1300 but with a 28-inch vent rib barrel and interchangable chokes.

If I didn't already have Winchesters, I'd probably look at the Mossbergs instead (slightly more expensive but built like a tank.)

In the Winchester 1300 family, I'm pretty fond of their new "Camp Defender" which would give you the same magazine, a 22-inch barrel, rifle sights, and interchangeable chokes.

Overall, my Winchesters have been a lot of fun. I really enjoy the looks on people's faces when I tell them the gun that just out-performed theirs only cost $200 when new.

Sierra1
10-20-2003, 11:24 AM
I have a Mossberg 590 with over 10,000 rounds through it without any type of problem that I got got my 16th birthday. I am rapidly approaching my 27th and it performs just as well today as it did the day I first took it out.

I have a 1300 Defender as well. It just seems a lil wimpy after handling the Mossy. The tru-glo came lose during the first firing and rolled hard to starboard. After fixing that it has pretty much sat in the safe for about 2 years now and comes out to be cleaned.

I have been shooting Rem 870's for several years now in LE work as well as the Ithaca 37. Both of those are solid weapons as well, but I do like the factory 8 round mag tube of the 590.

smokshwn
10-26-2003, 11:48 PM
Any of the guns mentioned will be rocksolid. But to answer your question the 1300 is an excellent tool. I have used mine extensively and been very happy.(tons of hard knocks and no problems so far) I believe in weapon simplicity so mine has a fiber optic front sight, sling and side saddle which fulfills all of my needs just fine. take care Craig

Hasher
10-27-2003, 05:24 AM
I have seen a couple of them break in classes and at the range. I have also encountered the front sight problem mentioned earlier. The action is slick but so are the others with a little work. The stock is flimsyer (is that a word) than either the Mossberg or the Remington. In addition the part at the front of the loading gate is plastic and I have been told by one person who use dto do factory repair work that this breaks easily. Having said tha I have one in 20ga as a loaner for students of smaller stature.

But of the 4 fighting shotguns I oiwn it is definatly the last one I would take to a fight. I prefer my 870's for pump guns.

Get the Mossberg as it is worth the extra $$$. I mean is you life really worth a silly $50? I realise that some of us are on a tighter budget than others (me included) , but if it comes down to the $$$ I would wait and get the Mossberg when I can afford it. When you can afford it get a side saddle. Its really all you need.

Hasher

ajamesp51
10-27-2003, 01:40 PM
Well I have had my defender now a week and have fired about 200 rounds out of it. I like it, and have so far had no problems with it. About the only thing I would fix is a new butt stocks lenght of pull, its fine for me but not really the best for my girlfriend. I found that Houge has rubber over molded replacements for the stock and forend with a 12in lenght of pull comparied to stock 14in or stock youth 13 in LOP. And she likes how my 1911 colt defender feels with the houge grip she can shot it without it feeling it will fly out of her hands, so its the same thing just for the shot gun. I am also thinking I would like the shorter LOP easier to sholder and manuver. I measured and with the replacement stock I can almost hold the shotgun horizontal and now fit though our door ways with out hitting. Other than that the defenders perfect for what I want a low weight high preformence shotgun for the house, and with the new stock both my girlfriend and I can use it EASILY AND COMFORTABLY. Oh and I agree the stock foreend and stock are not the best, only adiquate Houge has quality parts so that will hopefully make the shotgun more solid.

InTheBlack
10-29-2003, 11:16 PM
The FN Police pump shotgun is the same design as the Win 1300. About $300; parkerized with synthetic stock. I like the "assisted" pump mechanism but you have to get used to it.

Now their Autoloader is simply awesome, and if I could find a dealer my buddy & I both want one...

http://www.fnhusa.com/contents/sg_selfloading.htm

InTheBlack
10-29-2003, 11:21 PM
Scuse' me; the truly cool one is the tactical pump:

http://www.fnhusa.com/contents/sg_tactical.htm

Poohgyrr
10-31-2003, 04:05 PM
Used 870's that look used but run great go for about $200-250 around here. ;)

ajamesp51
11-02-2003, 10:54 PM
Now that I have this 1300, I am now looking at side saddles, my question though how does it attach to the 1300? From the web site "requires no alteration to firearm" I ony see one pin holding the trigger group so ho do they stay on?

Charles Rives
11-03-2003, 02:08 AM
Now that I have this 1300, I am now looking at side saddles, my question though how does it attach to the 1300? From the web site "requires no alteration to firearm" I ony see one pin holding the trigger group so ho do they stay on?

A bolt from the sidesaddle replaces one of the takedown pins in the 1300. Also, the sidesaddle's mounting-plate contours cause it to sort of "hug" the body of the reciver itself. I've had one on for a few years. It hasn't caused me any trouble.

Shotgun
11-03-2003, 01:21 PM
After quite a bit of consideration, I'm thinking of the Winchester 1300 for indoor purposes based on the light weight. Everyone should spend time practicing moving around the tight corners of their house with a shotgun and see what the limitations are.

ajamesp51
11-07-2003, 05:09 PM
Well I have added the hogue overmolded stock and forend and all I can say is wow, it works. If you dont know what they are the stock is over molded with rubber so you can almost not be able to grip it (if that makes sence). I ended up getting the 12 lenght of pull So my girlfriend could use it as well. On that I even like having the shorter lenght of pull it makes sholdering vary easy and fast less stock to get cuaght on loose clothing. And over all it makes for a more compact package. The stocks feel more solid then factory and as I said its hard not to get a good grip with the rubber. I also ordered a case of some winchester ranger low recoil oo buckshot 9 pellet So I think I am going to have a really nice home defence and game (3 gun matches) gun.