PDA

View Full Version : Legal In California ?

CHARLESMARTEL
06-16-2004, 12:54 PM
I M Going To California Soon, And I Would Like To Know If Is It Legal To Carry A Spyderco Chinook And An Asp?

P.D.
06-16-2004, 01:35 PM
Any Spyderco knife should be okay as long as the clip is visible, but the ASP is not unless you have a valid California security license and a Baton License endorsed for a folding baton.

CHARLESMARTEL
06-16-2004, 01:47 PM
Thank You P.d.

Tinstar
06-18-2004, 07:05 PM
P.D. Are you saying that you now have to be certified to carry a baton?I retired from an agency in So. Cal. in 1984 and we carried batons with no problem. I remember when we had to become certified to carry teargas or mace. Be SAFE

P.D.
06-18-2004, 11:01 PM
Civilians need certification. It's been that way since the '70s at least. Your P.O.S.T. training provided you with "certification". Mace needed certification, but pepperspray doesn't. Go figure. But, then it is California and NOTHING makes sense.

Longrifle
06-19-2004, 10:20 PM
Hey get this. I graduated from the academy in Dec. I returned to my job as a security guard until I find a cop job. I called BSIS (certifying agency) and they said that if you have ANY baton cert. you can carry whatever baton you want. To clarify...If you trained and qualified with a sidehandle, and that is what your card says, you can legally carry an asp or a straight stick without any extra qualification.

Now it gets really good. I told the knucklehead that answered the phone that I had just graduated from the POST basic academy and had trained and qualified with all 3 batons. Do ya think they would issue me a baton card? Heck no! But if I go to the local BSIS trainer and get qualified on the sidehandle (which is all he teaches) I can carry my asp!

Does anyone else sense my frustration here?

Back to the original question...I beleive that batons are listed under CA penal code 12020 as a nusience weapon (don't quote me here I'm not positive this is the correct law) and as such, you cannot carry it in the People's Republic of Kalifornia. If you are moving into the state, you had best look up PC 12020, some of the stuff you are used to buying/carrying in your home state will probably be on the list.

BTW, PD, as a civilian, even if you are licensed, you cannot carry except when in uniform, on duty, to and from your place of employment and reasonable stops in between. These are the same rules I have to abide by with my exposed firearm card.

I have rambled enough here, so...

P.D.
06-20-2004, 10:37 AM
You're right. I neglected to mention the off duty restrictions.

Thomas_R
06-24-2004, 09:18 AM
California is a very large state, with many jurisdictions.

Certain Cities and counties may have restrctions on blade lenght. Also, School campuses of all grade levels, including college, have state penal code restrictions as well.

No there's making sense of it all, so common sense and high marks on the attitude test will make any LE contact run smooth.