PDA

View Full Version : 870HD dimple removal

357Wheelgunner
06-07-2004, 03:05 PM
My Remington 870 express HD has these stupid dimples on the end of the magazine tube, and I can't install a magazine extension...How do I remove them?

I am so upset with Remington for being "politically correct" and disabling my ability to stuff a few more shells into my shotgun, or just adding length so my spring does not set. I guess it is a good thing, though, because a shotgun is made many times more deadly once it can hold more ammo. I've even heard that they sometimes aim themselves and shoot people, but only if they have black "tactical" stocks and magazine extensions. Thank you Remington arms....

Sho_Nuff
06-07-2004, 04:07 PM
Just get a metal file and file them down.

Took some doing, but it works great now.

TxCop312
06-07-2004, 08:48 PM
If you have one, a dremel tool works even better. And it's easier to polish the marks out. Not that it needs it.

V42
06-08-2004, 12:19 AM
You want to be careful to dremmel it down perfectly or get a gunsmith to do so if you have the slightest doubt. If it is not 100% smooth, it can interfere with the functon of the magazine spring which can affect feeding reliability.

TxCop312
06-08-2004, 01:23 AM
Good point, I should have said that. Hope he reads this before he goes after it like a beaver in a furniture factory.

mk86fcc
06-08-2004, 06:07 AM
Had my gunsmith do mine - think he charged me all of about six or seven bucks, plus put the extension on and checked it for function...

Sho_Nuff
06-08-2004, 07:47 AM
Right.

Should have added to keep checking it for functionality.

When you think that the dimples are smoothed down enough, they aren't.

Quick rough check, if the follower keeps getting hung up right around the dimple area, keep filing.

Then after that, the only way I could check it was to reassemble it and try to get it to function correctly.

Oh well, after all that it works perfectly now with no hangups.

sween1911
06-08-2004, 10:35 AM
Get ahold of some real fine grit sandpaper 600-900. That works well for fine polishing of weapon parts. Once you get the bulk of the material removed, try wrapping some of the fine grit stuff around a dowel and getting in there to smooth it out.

TEXASTACTICAL
06-08-2004, 12:53 PM
I drilled mine out and smoothed the edges and then ran a master cylinder brake hone down mine. Works great!

TxCop312
06-08-2004, 09:29 PM
Sounds like a good idea. Did the holes cause any problems?

Jeff82
06-09-2004, 12:39 AM
I'm gonna have to go to the store and see some of these dimples myself but sounds like the dimples are pressed into the tube?

If so, a shotgun tube dent removal tool sounds like it might do the trick. Basically it can be made by turning some metal stock down to the tube I.D., tapering the ends slightly, and threading a handle on it (drill, tap). Then push it through the tube. That should push most of the dimple back (saving some wall thickness) THEN filing/honing out any remaining material for smooth sidewalls. Alternatively, after you've got the tool in place (under the dimple), hammer it from the outside, ala auto sheet metal dent removal. You don't want to remove any more metal than absolutely necessary.

Of course, not having seen said dimples yet, I could be talking completely out my backside!

870pilot
02-22-2005, 05:45 PM
drilled mine too... took care of the burrs and ran 800 grit sandpaper on a dowel through the tube... perfect!

Ammo Lab
02-22-2005, 10:06 PM
I just save the time and order them from Wilson/SGT already setup as time is money plus it makes me so tactical. :rolleyes:

sween1911
02-23-2005, 09:14 AM
I just save the time and order them from Wilson/SGT already setup as time is money plus it makes me so tactical. :rolleyes:

You can never be too tactical. You can have all your underwear black teflon coated and mount a Surefire T5700 Tactical Dental Hygiene Illuminator on your mil-spec hard anodized toothbrush for low-light cavity engagements, but you can NEVER be too tactical!!!! :D

I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a plain jane 870 police, which has no dimples. My SGT 2-shot extension, follower, and plug were a simple swap for the stock magazine cap, spring and follower.