PDA

View Full Version : ar sling recomendations?

Invisible man
05-11-2007, 12:25 PM
Its hard to tell what works well just by looking so .... what have you guys used that you like? ..............thanks in advance

scout308
05-11-2007, 12:46 PM
I am new to the whole AR-15 thing. I am using a Boonie Packer sling. I have used this sling on other rifles, and like it a lot. I am able to carry my rifle in a variety of ways.

http://www.booniepackerproducts.com/

Steve Collins
05-11-2007, 12:51 PM
I use the V-TAC sling on my AR, available from Viking Tactics.http://www.vikingtactics.com/prod_sling_VTAC-MK1-a.html

If you use a fixed stock, you'll need the buttstock adaptor, otherwise it won't work...It's what I'm using on my rifle over here in the sandbox right now!:)

I've heard good things about the Vickers Sling, but have no experience with it.

I DO NOT like 3 point slings!:mad: Most are overly complicated, and, IMO, unnecessary. Plus, they take 3 men and a small boy to get into and get situated properly. The V-TAC does away with these negatives.

Invisible man
05-11-2007, 12:57 PM
Thanks alot for the info and link!

Invisible man
05-11-2007, 12:59 PM
I hope things are treating you well over in the sandbox. My bro in law got back not to awful long ago, taking a bit for him to get settled back in.

Steve Collins
05-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Where in MO? My brother is a DS at Ft. Lost in the Woods, my mother in law lives close by as well.

Michael Biggs
05-11-2007, 01:49 PM
The standard military carry strap has always worked for me.

Sharps74
05-11-2007, 01:52 PM
I use the V-TAC sling on my AR, available from Viking Tactics.http://www.vikingtactics.com/prod_sling_VTAC-MK1-a.html

If you use a fixed stock, you'll need the buttstock adaptor, otherwise it won't work...It's what I'm using on my rifle over here in the sandbox right now!:)

I've heard good things about the Vickers Sling, but have no experience with it.

I DO NOT like 3 point slings!:mad: Most are overly complicated, and, IMO, unnecessary. Plus, they take 3 men and a small boy to get into and get situated properly. The V-TAC does away with these negatives.

+++++1 The Viking Tactic-cool slings are THE bomb!!! I use their wide padded sling with HK attachment on my Yugo M92 Krink and the LaRue/Viking Tactical on my AR-15s. I can't say enough about How much I love these slings. I will ONLY use these slings now or stock basic AK-47 slings (on AKs only) that is it.

Dan-O
05-11-2007, 02:08 PM
The Vickers sling is the best I have used so far.
I hated 3 points almost within minutes of mounting one on mt carbine in the box.
Next was the vtac which worked really well for my purposes.
Then came the Vickers which fixed all the things I didnt like about the vtac(twisted too easily,strap dangling)

The Vickers is the best for me so far as no matter how you are using it it seems to work well.

If I couldnt use a Vickers or a vtac, I would use an issue non adjustable 2 point with lots of 100mph tape and paracord to get to hang the way I like it to when "strapped in"

If your SOP will never include being "strapped in" or needing a quick adjustment then you will be served just fine by these:
http://www.onesourcetactical.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=655

Good Luck not ending up with a box full of cut up/jury riged slings in your quest. :D

Invisible man
05-13-2007, 01:40 PM
Steve, sorry for the slow reply. I am in St. Louis but my bro in law lives in missisppi and is out of Louisana National Gard. 1SG with Headquarters Headquarter Battery of the 1/141 FA BN .

LPDBLUE
05-22-2007, 05:28 AM
I've been using a Boonie Packer 2 point for a while now. I connected it at the stock and the delta ring and have been very happy with this arrangement for patrol and general shooting and carry. For me it bridges the gap between the standard military sling and a 3 point. I also here good things about the Vickers sling, but I have not tried one.

Soren
06-08-2007, 01:59 PM
Single point with quick release or no sling at all if your in cqc. If your on the move then a 2 pt. I can't say I like the idea of being tied down to the rifle. I'm still somewhat new to this; but the 3 pt. rigs seem to be a clusterf&%k to me.

Draco 13
07-06-2007, 10:54 AM
I am currently using this sling. I like it so far.
Here is a link...
http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=70GS

rmockelman
07-06-2007, 08:51 PM
The two best slings I've used are the standard two point sling only made longer so you can sling it across your back without choking yourself out. Just use the standard buckles from an M16 sling, buy 2 yards of 1 1/4" webbing and cut it to length.
The other is the Vicker's sling if you don't mind being tied to your weapon. You can also use the Vicker's to sling it across your back, but it's pricey just to use as a standard two point.
Take your choice depending on your situation and training.

Just my $.02

I second that. I use a longer than normal standard sling on my carbines using the front side swivel and I just loop the back around the top of the collapsible stock. I use the buckle just like an AK sling to shorten it or lengthen it. I tried a lot of "tactical" slings and found them to be uncomfortable and confusing in stress situations. Simple is best.

BooneGA
07-06-2007, 09:21 PM
Ive used all 3 types of AR slings. Going without one isnt an option IMO.

The single point is great for shoulder and weapons transitions, but if you are doing any other type of function other than just shooting (ie, using it in any capacity outside the range) as soon as you try and move w/o holding the weapon its all over the place, and once you take a knee the muzzle is in the dirt. Might be less of a problem with SBRs.

The three point gets caught on EVERYTHING. Mag pouches, surrounding objects, sidearms, etc. I tried a few types (even ones w/ the release allowing one to theoritically change shoulders) and none work well enough to deal with the hassle of the straps everywhere. The best 3 point sling in the world is at best going to do the job of a 2 point.

Now 2 points. Ideally adjustable length. These allow all the benefits of a 3 point (transitions, carry postitions, keeps weapon at the ready) with no extra straps. I prefer mounts at the rear of the handgaurd and where the stock meets the receiver. This allows me to run a 2 point sling that is secure when transitioning, keeps the weapon off the ground when kneeling, and even shoulder transitions (R->L). I currently run a Vickers VCAS and its the nicest sling I have come across. I run it just as describe above with the added bonus of being able to torque it down tight to the body when the weapon needs to be a bit more secure (ie, doing admin type stuff, radio, etc) but is easily released and ready to fight. I have no experience with the VTAC sling of similar design but I expect it to be just as good.

Rick

Scharfschutz
07-07-2007, 07:04 AM
I tried a "mamba" and a few other "tactical" slings and they are way too complicated and cumbersome for me.

I like the standard black "silent sling", with the rear run around the buttstock so the rear buckle is on the side of the buttstock. This allows me to carry African style (muzzle down support side) and the carbine will lay flat on my back and not try to hang under my arm as much. I use metal buckles and not the plastic ones so the buckle will not break and drop my carbine to the ground. I am thin so I just have enough adjustment with the standard length sling to do this and not have it so tight as to choke me, etc. I can see where larger guys would need a longer web sling or to sew two together to make it longer.

I run the excess sling material (near the ends) back through the buckles on the outside and then lock in by running the end back through the far side again. I have never had a dropped carbine because of a broken buckle or had a sling end slip through a buckle.

Sarco has 'em dirt cheap.

KISS

kihnspiracy
07-13-2007, 05:57 AM
Try the Deiter CQB Solutions single point sling. I have had one on my AR for about 3 years now and I love it.

Sharps74
07-13-2007, 10:28 AM
I tried a "mamba" and a few other "tactical" slings and they are way too complicated and cumbersome for me.

I like the standard black "silent sling", with the rear run around the buttstock so the rear buckle is on the side of the buttstock. This allows me to carry African style (muzzle down support side) and the carbine will lay flat on my back and not try to hang under my arm as much. I use metal buckles and not the plastic ones so the buckle will not break and drop my carbine to the ground. I am thin so I just have enough adjustment with the standard length sling to do this and not have it so tight as to choke me, etc. I can see where larger guys would need a longer web sling or to sew two together to make it longer.

I run the excess sling material (near the ends) back through the buckles on the outside and then lock in by running the end back through the far side again. I have never had a dropped carbine because of a broken buckle or had a sling end slip through a buckle.

Sarco has 'em dirt cheap.

KISS

Any Chance of getting a pic of this? Thanks

Greyman09
07-13-2007, 12:19 PM
I have been running the Vickers Sling since Jan. It is a very nice 2 point with quick adjustment.

Scharfschutz
07-13-2007, 02:20 PM
Ask and you shall receive.....

http://hometown.aol.com/Derekundrwd/P1010694.JPG

http://hometown.aol.com/Derekundrwd/P1010695.JPG

http://hometown.aol.com/Derekundrwd/P1010696.JPG

MTS
07-13-2007, 03:00 PM
I have been running the Vickers Sling since Jan. It is a very nice 2 point with quick adjustment.

I have one on my AR and my AK and like them.

Rick Klopp
07-14-2007, 09:35 PM
I have been using a single point system with a quick detach made by Blue Force Gear. It is connected just forwards of the stock via a Daniels Defense swivel attachment. The setup works well for all rifle manipulations as well as from various shooting positions (from supine to standing and all points in between).