PDA

View Full Version : Anyone compete in Masters Track & Field?

Fitpro
05-11-2007, 05:45 AM
USA Track & Field puts on meets all over the country for people over 30. They have 5-year age brackets, so you are only competing against guys your own age. Knowing you have a meet coming up adds a little intensity to the nutrition and workout program. You also see some amazing things. At my first meet, in 2003, an 80 y.o. gentleman named Adolf Hoffman pole vaulted well over six feet! It inspired me to learn to do it at 40. Exercise is the fountain of youth...and leaving it out of the warrior skill set could, as we all know, prove to be a fatal error.

Cold War Scout
05-14-2007, 11:17 AM
There are some pretty impressive performances out there by "Masters."

Alex1
05-14-2007, 11:44 AM
Take a look at the average shooter...they have the physique of a baseball player. A retired baseball player. One who eats a lot of hot dogs and nachos.

IMO the #1 negelected aspect of training for the average shooter is general PT.

Whisper
05-14-2007, 01:59 PM
At my first meet, in 2003, an 80 y.o. gentleman named Adolf Hoffman pole vaulted well over six feet! It inspired me to learn to do it at 40.

Six feet? Is this correct? I competed in my last track meet in 1970, so my knowledge is hardly current, but I don't ever recall seeing the bar set that low even for an opening height. I agree that any 80-year-old competing in the p.v. is pretty good, but six feet is mighty low. Surely Jack La Lanne would smoke that, and he's in his 90s now.

Cheers,
DR

Cold War Scout
05-14-2007, 02:29 PM
According to USATF web site the record for the pole vault for men in 80-84 age category is 2.60 meters (8' 6 1/4"). For 85-89 it is only 2.24 meters (7' 4 1/4").

scottmr
05-14-2007, 02:58 PM
I recently read an old article in a running magazine about a 74 year old guy who finally broke his own PR for a marathon (under 3 hours). He did it in 2:56 if I remember correctly.

That's halling ass:eek: no matter how old you are, but at that age...omg

Randy Harris
05-14-2007, 02:59 PM
The last track and field I competed in was 8th grade :D .

I ran the 3rd leg of the 1600m relay, threw discus (undefeated baby!) and shotput and I was the MVP of the team . The high school I went to didn't have track. So that was the end of my track career....

I seriously doubt I could run 400M now as fast as I could then, but I can certainly throw the shot and discus farther! ;)

But then some would probably say that now I'm Built for Turkey and Dressing not Track and Field......

Fitpro
05-17-2007, 10:58 AM
The important part of the message is that fitness should last a lifetime. Bigger, faster, stronger is rarely a disadvantage at any age. If six feet looks easy to p.v. (and it is with practice), go give it a whirl. :) Standing on the runway with the pole in your hands gives an entirely new perspective to the event. Having competitions to look forward to adds a little extra incentive to our training on some of the days when we might not want to get those extra sets. Whatever it takes to get that extra bit of effort...:dope: