PDA

View Full Version : Mental Prep & Support of Dependents / Others

Riprap
05-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Physical preps are relatively simple to gauge. Train, drill, spar, compete, or count the number of MREs, gallons of water on hand, rounds, magazines, first aid supplies, etc. All physical preps can be put to the test in every hypothetical scenario imaginable.

Mental preps are more ambiguous. Let’s start from a point that assumes WT forum members have the inner faith and mental fitness to endure all natural and manmade challenges, whatever the outcome. We have prepared, trained, and find challenge motivating. My question is, from the mental / psychological perspective, how do you “bring others along / with you?” I’ve been in three separate life threatening situations where others have “mentally collapsed”. I was not prepared to expediently deal with the “mental collapse” of friends or loved ones. In the end, everything eventually worked out, however I am left wondering how to improve this aspect of preps.

Mods, please feel free to move to a more appropriate Forum. Not sure if Fitness was intended to be exclusively physical?

snolden
05-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Start with fire drills, show your kids how to use a fire extinguisher and how to use two escapes from the house. that gets them thinking about what-if's etc. then progress to hurricanes etc. at that point you can start talking evil human social encounters and what to do. first thing is not to blurt out: "dad do something you have a gun."

Dont Tread on Me
05-08-2007, 10:34 PM
Great question. I've been puzzling of the same problem with my wife and family. On several occasions she has become a lead weight holding onto me when I needed mobility to handle problems. In a major earthquake I fear and her family's lack of preparations will drive us to abandon our shelter in place and go rescue them....