PDA

View Full Version : Where to start?

EDWARD DUNNIGAN
04-28-2007, 03:52 PM
Well, too many years at a a desk has gotten the best of me. The "spare tire" has grown into a full set of radials and I'm sick of carrying them around. At 45, I'm not out to win any bodybuilding competitions, but I'd like to be more of a weapons platform and less of a blob. I've got to lose a LOT of weight, but I'm willing to put in the work.

What I'd like from this august body is an idea of where a sedentary, middle-aged man should start. Any advice is appreciated.

Lou Costello
04-28-2007, 04:03 PM
See a doctor and get checked for diabetes.
Start walking.
Eat 3 small meals a day.

michael
04-28-2007, 04:08 PM
www.rosstraining.com (http://www.rosstraining.com) is an excellent place to start. If you want bodyweight routimes, his book "Never Gymless" is excellent.

What are your goals, abilities and limitations? What equipment do you have?

EDWARD DUNNIGAN
04-28-2007, 04:36 PM
What are your goals, abilities and limitations? What equipment do you have?

Well, my goals are threefold; 1) to lose weight and see if I can get into good enough shape to start taking some of these gunfighting courses. 2)Strength. The kind that enables you to run an obstacle course, not the powerlifting kind. 3) I've got 2 boys. I'd like to set a better example fopr them so that they don't end up fighting the battle of the bulge their whole lives.

As for the diabetes thing, too late. I was diagnosed at age 40 (genetics). I control it through diet, but I still need to dump the baggage. Equipment, I joined Gold's Gym. The guys there are OK, but they have a million things to do. I'll look into the ross training website and check out his book.

Thanks for the help.

Texican_gal
04-28-2007, 04:41 PM
I posted once on another thread that an acupuncturist/life-long martial artist from Taiwan told me that we should chew each bite of food 30 times.

Then the other day I hear the Buddhist monk Thich Naht Hanh say "50 times." (I mean, come on .... I don't think most Westerners are up for this .... :dope: )

However, I think that slowing down the rate of consumption by eating slowly, mindfully, and chewing more will really, really help anyone to eat less.

This includes desserts. I don't think they can realistically be cut out from a "diet." Reduced, yes; removed totally, no.

I've been trying this lately. I hardly EVER make it to "30 times" but nonetheless I have been actually consuming less food by being more mindful while eating, and I have no sense of being deprived or "dieting." Wheee!

[Two nights ago a friend and I got a pizza. I ate mindfully, and noticed that he had finished 4 pieces of pizza as I was still working on the end of #2. And then I was DONE. Mmmmm.]

Cold War Scout
04-28-2007, 05:36 PM
See a doctor and get checked for diabetes.
Start walking.
Eat 3 small meals a day.

I am certainly no fitness professional but I tend to be of the philosphy that Lou is. You just cannot go from doing nothing at all, to doing strenuous activity, or you risk hurting/killing yourself. Just start doing some walking.

Beyond that you should check out Dino at Team Ruthless. He does orientations all the time and frequently does so with prospective clients who are in the same "activity mode" that you describe. I know because I am frequently there when he does them. He knows how to get people going down the path in a safe, structured way.

info@teamruthless.com

But you can start right now by getting up and taking a walk.

skyguy
04-28-2007, 07:30 PM
Then the other day I hear the Buddhist monk Thich Naht Hanh say "50 times." (I mean, come on .... I don't think most Westerners are up for this
The monk is right on; chewing 50 times is way better than the minimum of 30.
It's about mixing salivary enzymes with food and pre-digestion/digestion.

One should not swallow barely chewed hunks of food. That's how dogs eat.
Food should be savored, not inhaled.

crebralfix
04-28-2007, 08:22 PM
Maybe you could get with Dino at the Warriors Forge and start doing remote exercises. teamruthless.com.

Check out the Workout 2007 thread for what people are doing.

combat engineer
04-30-2007, 12:45 PM
I am by no means an expert, but I agree with Lou and CWS. Start off slow and build up your activity level. Eat lots of veggies and lean protiens. You don't have to starve yourself. In fact, you can probably eat the same AMOUNT of food you eat now, just change the content. Eat lots of veggies and stay away from fried foods. Don't stuff yourself, but eat until you are content. Moderation is the key.

As far as the fitness aspect goes...I get bored just going to the gym and running. When I get bored, my motivation drops, and next thing you know I am sitting in front of the TV eating ice cream :eek: (I know, I know...). I try to mix it up and find things that I enjoy that provide me the opportunity to get some exercise. In my case: rock climbing, wakeboarding, joining a volleyball league, or whatever. Start walking every night and take it from there.

okami
04-30-2007, 02:03 PM
like others have mentioned, make sure you are healthy enough to start an exercise program. look into the ZONE diet, you will need to modify your eating habits on it but it sppeds up your metabolism due to more frequent eating. it gets a little getting used to but it works fine. or eat more often smaller meals of meat and veggies, stay away from starches and get your carbs from fruits instead of refined sugers.

as far as an exercise program, Rosstrainning is a great resource. also look into www.crossfit.com (http://www.crossfit.com) and gently start with the workouts. this program will give you the aerobic capacity to manuever that O-course you want to navigate and it will make you stronger without looking like a powerlifter (thou theres nothing wrong with looking like a Powerlifter!).

OldRonin
04-30-2007, 03:46 PM
Congratulations on waking up to the reality that NOT training leads to a life of dissatisfaction. You need to promise yourself that you will keep at it even when it gets boring.

I agree with the recommendations made by previous responders.

Since you have been sedentary for quite a while, your mucles, tendons, and ligaments are likely to be lacking in FLEXIBILITY. You need to increase your flexibility and the strength of your core body muscles before you put too much stress on your body with hard training. I STRONGLY recommend that you include some yoga exercise in your routine. PM me if you want a source for an economical basic "kit" that can help you get started at home.
You can go sign up for a yoga class with your county/municipal rec program. Those tend to be less expensive than studios. You'll be surprised how yoga can be adapted as you progress to include more and more strength and muscle toning work. The idea is to get you body tissues ready to go into the more vigorous movement exercises to come without getting a torn ligament or muscles in the process. We call these "training injuries", which will sideline you for weeks to months. That puts your effort to transform yourself at a standstill. After 6-8 weeks or so of yoga, and daily walks, then you can more safely begin harder training.

In a recent thread, I gave myself as an illustration of one who OVERtrained for years, and found that going too hard too fast trying to become an Olympic level athlete results too often in hurting yourself repeatedly. Its more important to exercise consistently over the long term than it is to train HARD. At least until your body can handle it. Good luck.

unstpabl1
05-03-2007, 10:17 PM
Good Luck. Just work within yourself and keep showing up

combat engineer
05-04-2007, 04:44 AM

THAT'S the hard part :p

Cold War Scout
05-04-2007, 04:59 AM

I think you are living proof that you gotta do the work, but if you do it will bring you a great inner peace about yourself.

unstpabl1
05-05-2007, 12:22 AM
I think you are living proof that you gotta do the work, but if you do it will bring you a great inner peace about yourself.

Thats cause I got a great support system and I'm more afraid of letting you guys down more than I am of the work. Of course I also know that what I was doing all these years hasn't worked. Your absolutely spot on about the inner peace thing. Accomplishing the workouts,starts you on that path of looking at the guy in the mirror with respect instead of disappointment:)

Years ago, a very famous Russian acting teacher pulled me aside and in front of his assistant, very seriously said to me "You must work Michael. the Theatre needs you". Obviously i was floored, but his assistant was way more shocked than I. She'd been with him 10 years and had never heard him say anything remotely like that to anyone.

I let that man down as well as my family and the theatre:( In the end though I let myself down. And how does this happen. Simply because I stopped showing up and doing the work and started hiding in the background. I took the ez path and started listening to all people who yelped about how hard it is. I believed them and made it incredible hard. The same crap everybody around me has told me about the workouts. Screw em.

I'm kind of wish I was in Manasas working out with you and Ashley and Dino. However, I'm really glad that I'm not for one reason I'm forced to develope the self discipline to push thru the workouts on my own. In a group setting, you get caught up in the group energy. When your alone, its easy to sell yourself short. Each time you do that it chips away at that inner peace. each time you push thru it raises your self esteem. This is much more than excercise. This is a warriors forge:rolleyes: Sorry, couldn't resist. The workouts are teaching me what I came to WT to learn, which has little to do with defeating an outside attacker. Some will get that and others won't, but its a huge piece of the puzzle

I apologize for the philosophical rant. Edward, I really hope you get on this horse. Its that proverbial fork in the road buddy. You can continue down the path you've been going. We know where that result is going to end or you can take a new path and create your own path. There's alot of help here. Good Luck
mike

michael
05-05-2007, 07:42 AM
I'm kind of wish I was in Manasas working out with you and Ashley and Dino. However, I'm really glad that I'm not for one reason I'm forced to develope the self discipline to push thru the workouts on my own. In a group setting, you get caught up in the group energy. When your alone, its easy to sell yourself short. Each time you do that it chips away at that inner peace. each time you push thru it raises your self esteem. This is much more than excercise. This is a warriors forge:rolleyes: Sorry, couldn't resist. The workouts are teaching me what I came to WT to learn, which has little to do with defeating an outside attacker. Some will get that and others won't, but its a huge piece of the puzzle

This is one of the most important quotes EVER here on WT. This is the essence of what we are, and what we do. It is all about devloping the discipline to push ourselves, which directly translates to all other areas of our lives. This in turn makes us better husbands, better fathers, better citizens and better people.

It is about pushing yourself into places you have never been, challenging your inner metal and forging through the pain, and doing it when you don't want to. If you can develop that--harness it, then you are well on your way to being able to do anything you want in this life.

Good stuff Mike!