PDA

View Full Version : I see the light

nuttinbutchunks
04-24-2007, 06:43 PM
I just bought an XD9 SC, and it comes with a light that mounts on the rail. My initial reaction is not to want it because if I'm shooting in the dark, to my way of thinking it will give my position away, annd my assailant will only have to shoot at it endangering me. Therefore, I thought I could get the opinion of people that are much smarter than me. Should I keep it? :confused:

pba
04-24-2007, 07:05 PM
That's exactly my point. I can see a laser sight but a flashlight will just be telling the bad guy "Hey I'm here". I feel slightly different about red led based flashlights.
The human eye responds to low light levels by dilating (opening) the Iris diaphragm to permit a greater area of cones and rods in the Fovea of the eye to become stimulated. If the eye is exposed to common white light, then the Iris will constrict thereby reducing the eye's sensitivity to seeing faint objects. To see how this works, walk into a room and turn off the lights - notice how over time you will be able to see more and more fine details in the dark room as your eye adapts to this. Scotopic vision has been understood for some time, this is why military vessels switch to red light when operating at night. And this is why astronomers avoid white light sources when trying to attain and preserve their night vision.

PeterB
04-24-2007, 10:16 PM
The light can be a helper, or a hindrance. If you use it tactically, it could be a help. You turn it on only long enough to get a look, and then turn it off and move. You must move, or you are, as you said, just letting the BG know where to send his rounds. Also, for a bedside gun, it could serve the purpose of blinding the BG long enough for you to take advantage, just like any other light. That's just my thoughts. In the end, it's your choice to make. I would use the gun light at night at home for the nightstand gun, when you are woken up from a sleep, and need to grab your gun, you have a flashlight too. I would carry a seperate one when I am away from the house, when you may want a light, but don't really want to point your gun at whatever you want to light up! :dope: Like everything else, they have a place, but are not perfect for all occasions. Stay safe,
Peter

crebralfix
04-25-2007, 05:39 AM
Flashlight technique is important. Like anything else, it's easy to do and easy to mess up. It's the "easy to mess up" part that makes it difficult.

enoch
04-25-2007, 05:44 AM
I much prefer the hand held. And yes, they can help tremendously by absolutly blinging the subject if your light is powerful enough. My 110 lumen Sure fire is such a light. I also like a seperate light so I don't point my gun at what my light is shining on unless that is what I want, not what I am forced to do.