PDA

View Full Version : Good Old Arm Bar!

M700
05-19-2004, 12:20 AM
Okay, it's old and simple. Kind of like me? Nah... A few hours ago I had to deal with a fellow 15 years younger and 15 pounds heavier than me. He told me to "mellow out" or he'd "knock me out." Now I didn't take real kindly to those words. Went to arrest and handcuff the fellow and he pulled away, giving me that wonderful extended arm to use...

Thump. On the concrete, cuffed up in a jiffy. No harm done, one more miscreant in jail.

Don't know how many times I've used the good old arm bar takedown over the years, but it's always worked. Except in the gym against Sifu Simonet... That's different.

I like to keep it simple and straightforward. Works for me. Guy

Charles Rives
05-19-2004, 01:12 AM
There's a reason why mainstream Aikido calls a good straight arm bar "technique number one." (Ikyo) Control techniques just don't get much simpler.

Chuck

TxCop312
05-19-2004, 02:47 AM
I remember the first time I used an arm bar. The sucker actually bounced of the floor of the jail. All I could think at the time was, "hey this really works." Sadly he chose shift change to get stupid. Needless to say, he couldn't wait to get back in that cell.

M700
05-19-2004, 08:48 AM
TxCop312 Yes! First time I used it actually scared me, because in my enthusiasm I actually lifted the guys feet right off the ground and he came crashing down on his face... Fortunately we were in a city park and it was a soft grassy surface he landed on...

I haven't applied quite that much intensity to it since... Guy

Wayne Dobbs
05-19-2004, 01:52 PM
I've used it many times with mostly excellent results. Several of those uses were done so vigorously they had all the wind knocked out of them and lay motionless (looked dead to me!) for several seconds. It's my first default technique when having to get physical with a suspect...

Wayne Dobbs

DaveJames
05-19-2004, 09:03 PM
First time I used it, I screwed up, I was working as a bouncer in a club, and when I grabed the guy , Itwisted his hand out ward, and drove down on the arm, BOY!!! it popped out of socket like a house a fire, :eek:

Gyrine
06-15-2004, 09:56 AM
We've been practicing Nikyo > rolling into Ikyo. Once they are down y'all cuff them, simple solution.
Not being LEO's, we've discussed our subsequent actions.....if they are a friendly drunk/drunk friend, sit on them and let them decide if they're having fun any more. :eek:
All others, kinda depends on who/what/where. The basics are smooth, though, and not having your experiences I hope I don't bounce the friendlies if rushed. :o

sgtagee555
06-17-2004, 12:49 AM
I first learned the Straight Arm Bar from PPCT way back in 1990. It was not taught in my Academy training in 1989 believe it or not. When I began Aikido training, it is the first technique taught (already mentioned in a previous post).

This is a great techniques and have used it often over the years. Proof of this is that it is included in several systems that are taught to police officers (PPCT & Controlled FORCE in particular.

My typical use of the arm bar is getting someone out of a chair or a car. A few times I've used it to pull someone out from under things (porches, houses, tractor trailers, etc.). One time I used it to pull someone through an open window on a building.

I like the variants of the technique. Aikido teaches it so the person applying it is close to the bad guy. Other arts teach it so the applicator is farther away from the bad guy.

As a police trainer now, we ALWAYS teach it as part of entry level police training in our state academy. I pass on to the youngsters that in my experience, most of the bad guys who have this technique applied to them almost always catch themselves with their face. I've had to sit at the hospital with more than one guy with a forehead to chin abrasion.

JPA