Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Cold War Scout
06-13-2007, 12:26 PM
June 13th:
Weight vest (40 lbs.) aerobic:
- 3.0 mile spirited walk.

atrox_vis
06-13-2007, 03:56 PM
Busy brainstorming with Dan John all last night, today, and tomorrow morning. Working on a new project for Combative Attributes Training. Much more to follow.

Kobra
06-13-2007, 04:24 PM
Looks like some of the rock formations here in Phoenix's Papago Park.

Thanks for the compliment (I think), but admittedly it sucks getting older. Make hay while the sun shines!!

Judo and BJJ share many, many of the same techniques; sweeps, trips, throws, kimura, joint locks/bars, chokes, etc.
Atemi-waza: blows with knee, fist, elbow, head, foot/heel kicks.

My 'workout' yesterday afternoon was some serious rock scrambling for more than an hour.
Keeps me limber and contributes to overall bodyweight training.

http://photos.imageevent.com/leemutlee/colt/scrambl.jpg

unstpabl1
06-13-2007, 06:23 PM

My folks live in PHX and I go there about 4xs a year at least to teach acting. Lots to do

skyguy
06-13-2007, 09:13 PM
It's Colorado.

Try scrambling the rocks. Great workout and lotsa fun.
You'll stretch, pull, jump, climb, straddle and occasionally slip.

michael
06-13-2007, 09:43 PM
Busy brainstorming with Dan John all last night, today, and tomorrow morning. Working on a new project for Combative Attributes Training. Much more to follow.

If this is a little of what we talked about on the phone, I can't wait to here it.:cool:

peregrine
06-13-2007, 11:41 PM
Today's Workout, June 13th

.25 mile Gazelle
15 Burpees
.50 mile
30 Burpees
.75 mile
40 Burpees
1.00 mile
50 Burpees

65 minutes

very nice workout i was thinking of doing similar.

peregrine
06-13-2007, 11:49 PM

Excellent. I can't wait. i love your stuff.

What are your thoughts of overspeed work?

Kobra
06-14-2007, 12:01 AM
Tomorrow I'm going to give the tabata routine a try. It only takes four minutes, but from what I've read it is four minutes of Hell. Thanks Dan John!

BigBolivar
06-14-2007, 07:37 AM
Today for me already completed due to me being GMT

12Km 80% effort run

50 V sits
50 Crunches
50 (each side) Side Crunches.

michael
06-14-2007, 07:44 AM
Tomorrow I'm going to give the tabata routine a try. It only takes four minutes, but from what I've read it is four minutes of Hell. Thanks Dan John!

Tabata sucks...........in a good way.:cool:

atrox_vis
06-14-2007, 08:51 AM
Over Speed Training really has no data that suggests that it transmits into greater performance

The way to become faster is to:
1. Perfect running tachnique at maximum speed.
2. Increase your power to weight ratio.

Yes, this is the stuff that I have discussed with many of you. The brainstorming Coach John and I did over the last three days, with a little help from CWS, have taken it a step or two further.

michael
06-14-2007, 10:03 AM
Good work Dino. I look forward to your findings.

6/14

Just a quickie today before work.

4 rounds each, with little rest, of:

Bench press
v situps
KB deadlifts

Cold War Scout
06-14-2007, 10:52 AM
By overspeed training are we talking about using resistance of some sort (e.g. rubber resistance) to cause the athlete to be unable to move at full speed despite their efforts at doing so? Like having rubber resistance holding you back, and then suddenly letting go? Or same basic thing running with a sled and then suddenly being let go?

Or are we talking about having athletes run short distances literally as fast as they can (like 10, 20, 30, 40 yard dashes), even though the event they compete in will not require them (or probably humanly allow them) to run that fast during the event itself (e.g. a 400 meter dash)?

If it's number 1....

The University of Virginia track team does the rubber resistance overspeed training. I know some of the local high school teams, teams which usually produce stellar athletes in many events, also uses this training principle. They will wrap some Theraband around an athlete's waist, while another team member holds each end. At a whistle the athlete will take off running (I believe they were not using blocks when I watched their practice) at full speed. Of course the resuistance and their partner prevents them from doing that. The partner will follow the athlete for a short distance, and then suddenly let the band go at an unknown to the athlete moment. So the athlete is suddenly going full speed and maybe a little more for a short distance until the reality of anatomy and physics kicks in.

I cannot imagine that the first half of that not being good for developing strength and power in an athlete's legs. Power coming out of the blocks frequently determines the winner in a short sprint or hurdle event. Especially in the indoor season where there is simply no distance/time to catch up. You either come out of the blocks superbly or you can pretty much be sure you won't be winning the finals heats (sometimes they run two heats as the final and take the top 6 times, regardless whether you are in the faster heat or not). The second half of the exercise, that which happens after the release, I am not all that sure about. I do know this. I once watched my daughter running against one of the best track stars in the state (this other gal recently just took 3rd in a NCAA finals event she is that good). My daughter was running faster than her little body was capable of but she was neck and neck with this other gal until about 3/4 the way through the race. Then the sheer physics of her body not being able to move that fast for the entire length of the race kicked in and she tripped. And you could sort of feel it coming because I knew there was no way she could keep that up. Had overspeed training been something that 1) worked, and 2) she was doing, who knows how it would have turned out.

If we are talking about # 2....

Your ability to sprint can determine whether you win or lose in a race like an 800, 1600, 3200. I don't mention 400 because these days it is essentially a sprint event from beginning to end. I have seen many athletes lose races at the end because they could not kick in a full sprint as well as their opponent(s) could. So the ability to sprint very short distances at very high speeds is a decisive factor in the distance races. I know all the top long distance runners in Northern Virginia, and they all do sprint training along with other running training. They usually focus more on the 100-300 meter range, rather than 40 yard dashes though. As with the second half of the first overspeed definition, I am not sure how well 20 meter sprints will help you in a 400, but I conceptually feel that being able to run all out for 75 meters (which is what this type of training is supposed to build up to) could sure be a useful asset. As I understand it a premise of this training principle is that it takes a person about 40 meters to reach top speed. Supposedly this type of training will allow you to reach it in either a shorter distance and/or (if you are lucky) to hit 40 meters at a little faster speed. Because you reach top speed at about 40 meters, this is why you will frequently see triple jumpers or long jumpers never run more than 40 meters or so at the approach. They may do it in less. Some people can hit top speed at 35 meters, or even less.

atrox_vis
06-14-2007, 11:12 AM
Precisely why there should be a study if that type of training does directly effect performance. I would dare to guess that the teams you speak of probably superior programs and their version of overspeed training is a component. However, in the resources I tapped to answer the question, it is still unknown if overspeed training of either type significantly produces faster athletes. There are other benefits to that type of training which make ie a worthwhile component.
I am quite sure that if you ask any coach in the field, they would still say the two best ways to improve an athletes speed is to instill perfect teacnique at high speed and improving the athlete's power to weight ratio. That does not include factoring in genetics.

Gabriel Suarez
06-14-2007, 11:22 AM
Today will be active rest. My feet and joints are to sore to run or lift...a sign I have been working at a good level. Today we are spending our energy putting shelves together at the new One Source facility and getting ready for the festivities next week.

Cold War Scout
06-14-2007, 11:46 AM
On the subject of genetics, I was having a discussion with my ex-wife about the subject of training speed a few weeks back. She was saying that great speed can be trained. I am of the opinion that for the most part you either have it naturally or you don't. I have never heard a story of somebody who was the slowest person in his 4th grade class, becoming an Olympic sprinter.

You may be able to train a fast person to run faster. I see that all the time. I have seen kids drop their times substantially and go from essentially pathetic performances, to solid ones. But never have I seen them go from pathetic to stellar. All the great ones seem to have had a genetic foundation of speed with which to work. That is why the former East bloc countries identified their stellar athletes at very early ages and sent them down the athletics track. And they were able to eke out amazing world class performances from their athletes through their conditioning and training programs.

Kobra
06-14-2007, 12:24 PM
On the subject of genetics, I was having a discussion with my ex-wife about the subject of training speed a few weeks back. She was saying that great speed can be trained. I am of the opinion that for the most part you either have it naturally or you don't. I have never heard a story of somebody who was the slowest person in his 4th grade class, becoming an Olympic sprinter.

You may be able to train a fast person to run faster. I see that all the time. I have seen kids drop their times substantially and go from essentially pathetic performances, to solid ones. But never have I seen them go from pathetic to stellar. All the great ones seem to have had a genetic foundation of speed with which to work. That is why the former East bloc countries identified their stellar athletes at very early ages and sent them down the athletics track. And they were able to eke out amazing world class performances from their athletes through their conditioning and training programs.

I agree. You can only nurture nature so far.

Cold War Scout
06-14-2007, 12:33 PM
June 14th:
- Kettlebells. 26 different exercises. 32 total sets. Not bad considering I did not want to do jack today. Hmmm. I wonder if "doing Jack" could have another meaning.....

unstpabl1
06-14-2007, 02:19 PM
6/15

3 mile walk, 90 degree day

Cold War Scout
06-14-2007, 02:53 PM
Yes, this is the stuff that I have discussed with many of you. The brainstorming Coach John and I did over the last three days, with a little help from CWS, have taken it a step or two further.

Well....since he brought it up.

Dino has embarked on some very interesting material. I would hate to be the one to say too much. His Combatives Attributes Training project has a lot of potential to be the first time, at least for me, that I have seen combatives and conditioning fused in the manner and to the degree that he intends to take it. It could almost be called a Warrior Training Manual in my mind. What I especially like, being the old mo fo that I am, is his plan to make it a program with wide applicability to a wide audience of guys. Each of us can step into the program at whatever level we are at and start moving towards and striving for the same general goals of having that combination of combatives skills and the conditioning to back it up that should exponentially elevate our abilities to do what it is we are all wanting to do. When crunch time comes, to be able to effectively and efficiently protect ourselves and our loved ones against predators and thugs.

unstpabl1
06-14-2007, 03:26 PM
. I have never heard a story of somebody who was the slowest person in his 4th grade class, becoming an Olympic sprinter.

Wilma Rudolph, she was cripple till she was 12. I understand the point your making though Rudy. Genetics play an important part in abilities, but there are many genetically gifted people who never come close to achieving their potential.

I think what I've gotten most from Dino's stuff is the idea ofpushing thru. That the mentality of you can't ever beat me, basically because I'll out work you is key. James Loerh calls Toughness TRaining. In fact most of the gifted kids don't make it cause things come too easy.

I guess I'm kinda siding with your ex, if strength and power can be increased so can speed. It may come easier for some.

I think Wilma is a solid example and I'm sure there are others. I don't really follow track so I don't know if I could cite any otheres

Mike

Cold War Scout
06-14-2007, 04:14 PM
Wilma Rudolph, she was cripple till she was 12. I understand the point your making though Rudy. Genetics play an important part in abilities, but there are many genetically gifted people who never come close to achieving their potential.

I think what I've gotten most from Dino's stuff is the idea ofpushing thru. That the mentality of you can't ever beat me, basically because I'll out work you is key. James Loerh calls Toughness TRaining. In fact most of the gifted kids don't make it cause things come too easy.

I guess I'm kinda siding with your ex, if strength and power can be increased so can speed. It may come easier for some.

I think Wilma is a solid example and I'm sure there are others. I don't really follow track so I don't know if I could cite any otheres

Mike

Wilma Rudolph is a good example that contradicts my point. However, an exception to a general rule does not invalidate said general rule. If speed could be that greatly increased then you would not have teams like the University of Miami placing a heavy emphasis on speed in their recruits. They would bring slower folks on board and then train the speed into them.

unstpabl1
06-14-2007, 05:13 PM
Wilma Rudolph is a good example that contradicts my point. However, an exception to a general rule does not invalidate said general rule. If speed could be that greatly increased then you would not have teams like the University of Miami placing a heavy emphasis on speed in their recruits. They would bring slower folks on board and then train the speed into them.

At college level(18-19) much development would've been completed. It is also quicker and easier to bring in someone who already has the skill sets needed than to train them up to speed. It takes away from learning the X's and O's and they only have them for a year or 2 now:D

I'm not denying genetics and that some people would have advantages. I think all skills can be developed if there is a strong will. How many strength athletes became strength athletes because they were the weakest kid in the 4th grade. I mean spotrts are littered with people who over came genetics or uncoordinated youths only to excel. Who knows what the Russians may stymied by cutting off the possibility of a slow 4th grader training

If you knew as a kid what you know today, could you have made it to college level sports at least( If you did anyway, you know what I'm trying to say:D

Jack Rumbaugh
06-14-2007, 05:50 PM

Dino has embarked on some very interesting material. I would hate to be the one to say too much. His Combatives Attributes Training project has a lot of potential to be the first time, at least for me, that I have seen combatives and conditioning fused in the manner and to the degree that he intends to take it. It could almost be called a Warrior Training Manual in my mind. What I especially like, being the old mo fo that I am, is his plan to make it a program with wide applicability to a wide audience of guys. Each of us can step into the program at whatever level we are at and start moving towards and striving for the same general goals of having that combination of combatives skills and the conditioning to back it up that should exponentially elevate our abilities to do what it is we are all wanting to do. When crunch time comes, to be able to effectively and efficiently protect ourselves and our loved ones against predators and thugs.

With what I learned about it today, this stuff will be revolutionary.

Cold War Scout
06-15-2007, 03:55 AM
June 15th:
- Burpee/dumbbell thruster/kettlebell swing supersets (experimental): 10 sets of burpee/dumbbell thruster/kettlebell swing supersets. 3 of the sets were with 2x30 lb. dumbbells and 35 lb. kettlebell. 7 of the sets were with 2x40 lb. dumbbells and 44 lb. kettlebell.

Off to the Nike Outdoor Nationals in North Carolina for the next couple of days so I did not have a whole lot of time to workout today. Just enough to experiment with the above, and to keep the groove greased.

atrox_vis
06-15-2007, 06:18 AM
Standing Military Press / Push Press / Push Jerk / Split Jerk / 5 Press-Outs
10 x 1
Explosive Bench Press Off The Rack
5 x 5
Roman Chair Bench Press
5 x 5

Jack Rumbaugh
06-15-2007, 06:18 AM
June 14th:
- Kettlebells. 26 different exercises. 32 total sets. Not bad considering I did not want to do jack today. Hmmm. I wonder if "doing Jack" could have another meaning.....

And I didn't know you cared...

atrox_vis
06-15-2007, 07:52 AM
Here is a video of the Roman Chair Bench Press. It is clear how this fits into a combative attribute modality. Big file, takes a while to load up.
http://www.teamruthless.com/Roman_Chair_Bench_Press.mov

Shdwdncr
06-15-2007, 08:30 AM

Dino called me this morning and told me about this.
I cannot be as eloquent as Rudy but I will say this: this project does have a tremedous amount of potential.
Just like Rudy, I wouldn't want to say too much, but... WOW.
Dino is without a doubt a very knowledgeable trainer who truly understands our needs as warriors.
He's certainly trailblazing big time and setting new standards as he goes.
You'll see. :D

S.

Shdwdncr
06-15-2007, 08:40 AM
Here is a video of the Roman Chair Bench Press. It is clear how this fits into a combative attribute modality. Big file, takes a while to load up.
http://www.teamruthless.com/Roman_Chair_Bench_Press.mov
That was very IMPRESSIVE.

Now you guys know why she's able to whip my @$$ more times than not. :o

S.

Gabriel Suarez
06-15-2007, 10:09 AM
2 mile run in the woods at nearly puke level. In boots. 90 degree heat - 6000' elevation.

Jack Rumbaugh
06-15-2007, 11:02 AM
...puke level

I experienced headrush/lightheaded/take a knee level for the first time in a very long time doing KB stuff with Dino yesterday. Those things are evil, I tell you. I'll be doing my off day workout tonight.

3 x 25
2 Arm Swings with 35 and 45 lb KB

Gabriel Suarez
06-15-2007, 12:44 PM
I'll be doing KB tomorrow. Its getting hot here so I got to hydrate well continually.

I picked up a cool version of the swing called an American Swing which has you swing the KB to straight vertical and not the level with eyes Russian version. The American version is much harder.

Also the DARC swings which have you doing one handed swings changing hands each time. Do 30 minutes of this alternating exercises, stopping only so you don't pass out, and its a great session.

Wolfe
06-15-2007, 01:37 PM
6/15/07

53lb kettlebell

Warmed up with 3 sets of Halos and boot strap squats - Heart rate going good

Did Tabata Intervals with Kb swings- started as Amercian style and degraded to russian stlye in the latter rounds. REALLY pushed hard and ended up stretched our on the ground recovering after 8 rounds. Heart rate was pegged.

Finished with some ashtanga yoga stretches.

Thought I was doing pretty good but about 15 minutes after the workout I had so much fluid broken loose in my lungs that I spent a few minutes visiting pukey. Not sure whether to be embarrased or grimly satisfied with that outcome (no pun intended). Anyway, I am sure I did more good than harm. I am on my way out on a "date" with my Wife- sans kids.

Jack Rumbaugh
06-15-2007, 01:47 PM
I picked up a cool version of the swing called an American Swing which has you swing the KB to straight vertical and not the level with eyes Russian version. The American version is much harder.

So you end up with it overhead like a snatch? I'll have to try it sometime.

Dino has me doing 2 handed, DARC and single arm swings with high pulls thrown in to build coordination for the snatch.

peregrine
06-15-2007, 02:58 PM
Atrox thank you for the response. I agree with you in training technique and power to weight ratio is proven.
ygpm.

CWS overspeed is somewhat like you mentioned, a simple example is having a sprinter run down a slight grade to train the nervous system to be capable of handling the faster rate of turn over. Overspeed with a punch would be tying a bungee to a post then pulling back and let fly a punch. The purpose from my understanding is to train the nervous system to be capable of these faster speeds as that may be a limiting factor.

I love this thread.

Today my workout will mostly comprise of shadowboxing and movement for time, with some burpees and things randomly thrown in to elevate the heart rate even more.
Next month i will resume my wod with Teamruthless.

michael
06-15-2007, 06:14 PM

Dino has me doing 2 handed, DARC and single arm swings with high pulls thrown in to build coordination for the snatch.

It's not the same end position as a snatch. The KB is extended overhead with the handle pointed down toward the floor and the bottom of the KB pointed toward the ceiling.

atrox_vis
06-16-2007, 10:47 AM
We are taking the weekend off to rest, because monday we begin a new program!

michael
06-16-2007, 12:07 PM
6/16

5 x 5 of:
BB Deadlifts
BB clean and press

3 sets of DB thrusters

3 rounds of:
cable triceps extensions
cable biceps curls
v situps w/added weight

bae4
06-16-2007, 05:34 PM
Friday

15 sets of:

5 Ring Rows
10 Push Ups
15 SquatsSaturday

4 Sets of

400m run
25 dead lifts

Cold War Scout
06-16-2007, 10:10 PM
June 16th:
- 103 burpees with 20 lb. weight vest.

Kobra
06-16-2007, 10:21 PM
June 16th:
- 103 burpees with 20 lb. weight vest.

You're nuts, bro. Non-stop?

Cold War Scout
06-17-2007, 06:18 AM
You're nuts, bro. Non-stop?

Of course not! It took me a while as these things always do. I am just an old man trying to stay in shape.

unstpabl1
06-17-2007, 08:28 AM
Of course not! It took me a while as these things always do. I am just an old man trying to stay in shape.

Yeah and pity the young pup who makes that error in judgement:eek:

BigBolivar
06-17-2007, 09:15 AM
Today for me:

AM - 5 mile run

PM
5 rounds of

10 push ups
10 crunches
10 tri dips
10 wide arm push ups
10 V-sits

Rest 30 seconds, repeat

Kobra
06-17-2007, 10:24 AM
Day-off. Walking the aisle for communion will be my workout. Oh, and don't forget the stand, sit, kneel routine. So, I'm getting a bit of a workout. ;)

zen4
06-17-2007, 12:01 PM
25mile bike ride
stretching
one hour tai chi

Cold War Scout
06-17-2007, 04:14 PM
June 17th:
- Dumbbell thrusters. Did 200 thrusters with 2x30 lb. dumbbells.

Day 84 in a row of doing some sort of a substantive workout.

Southern Gunman
06-18-2007, 05:54 AM

You just swing it higher - Check out the crossfit website for a video...and Gabe is right; they are much harder.

Gabriel Suarez
06-18-2007, 07:13 AM
2 mile run
97 degrees and 6000 feet

Jack Rumbaugh
06-18-2007, 07:48 AM
You just swing it higher - Check out the crossfit website for a video...and Gabe is right; they are much harder.

I can get about 3/4ths of a swing. Any more and my basement ceiling will have large holes in it.:eek:

Wolfe
06-18-2007, 10:59 AM
6/18/07

92 degrees and humid.

Warm up with mobility exercises. About 15 minutes of joint range movements until the juices were flowing and heart rate up.

24kg Kettlebell

HALOS 2X12 each direction
Boot strap squats 2X12

Snatches 15 reps each side 2 Sets with 30-45 second rests
overhead press 12 then 10 per side 2 sets
overhead triceps extension 2 sets X 12 working full range of motion for a good stretch

3 sets of 2 arm swings 25,20,15 reps with 30 second rests timed. Really heaving the lungs out on those.

warmed down with yoga stretches.

michael
06-18-2007, 11:03 AM
6/18

20 minutes elliptical
4 sets of pull-ups
10 minute stretch

Cold War Scout
06-18-2007, 11:08 AM
I can get about 3/4ths of a swing. Any more and my basement ceiling will have large holes in it.:eek:

Me too. Nonetheless, I am perfectly okay with a 3/4 swing.

Jack Rumbaugh
06-18-2007, 11:15 AM
Me too. Nonetheless, I am perfectly okay with a 3/4 swing.

I'll try it. I have the long workout tonight.

Cold War Scout
06-18-2007, 12:34 PM
June 18th:
- Clubbells. 30 different exercises. Pretty much stuck to Sonnon's Circular Strength Training exercises.

JohnH11B
06-18-2007, 01:16 PM
6-18-07

50 each: pushups, situps, curls, tricep pushdowns, lateral pulldowns

crebralfix
06-18-2007, 04:23 PM
I have missed a few posts, but no workouts.

Saturday, June 16:

Four sets of:

400 meter run
25 Deadlifts (135/115/95/95)

Monday, June 18:

4 sets of:

800 meter run
50 slam balls
25 roman chair situps

I think Dino's getting me ready for Pankration and keeping the shoulder healthy. Lots of fun this weekend with a pankration seminar with Aris.

Gabriel Suarez
06-18-2007, 04:43 PM
06-18 (95 degrees)

Kettlebells 5 sets of
American Swings 40-50 reps alternated with DARC Swings 40-50 reps

High Pulls 3x10 each arm
Snatches 3x10 each arm

5x20 hanging leg raises
5x10 pullups

Kobra
06-18-2007, 05:04 PM
Light day:

5 sets each:
Back Squats 5 reps
Deadlifts 5 reps
Calf Raises 20-30-40 reps

Cold War Scout
06-19-2007, 09:34 AM
June 19th:
- Weight vest routine using a variety of 40 pound weight vest, 2x10 lb. ankle weights, 2x10 lb. Heavy Hands exercises for weighted resistance. 32 exercises total.

JohnH11B
06-19-2007, 01:16 PM
6-19-07
50 pushups, situps and benchpress
Then pulled a mini-Gabe. Ran as fast as I could for 7 minutes without calling an ambulance. How you do 25 minutes is beyond me:confused: :eek:

Cold War Scout
06-20-2007, 01:18 PM
June 20th:
20 lb. weight vest:
- 500 meter dash, 100 meter walk, 400 meter dash, 100 meter walk, 300 meter dash, 100 meter walk, 5x200 meter dashes (catch breath in between, not quite as long as it took to do 100 meter walk), 5x100 meter dashes (catch breath in between, less than between 200 meter dashes). Total of 2700 meters of dashes.

* Day 87 in a row of doing some sort of a substantive workout.

Oh and I did have a glass of Venom after the dentist. BTW, my dentist is a cool gun guy. He showed me his new Kahr 9 mm today. I told him the next rifle he needs to buy is an AK, and then he needs to train with Gabe.

Cold War Scout
06-20-2007, 03:05 PM
I have missed a few posts, but no workouts.

Saturday, June 16:

Four sets of:

400 meter run
25 Deadlifts (135/115/95/95)

Monday, June 18:

4 sets of:

800 meter run
50 slam balls
25 roman chair situps

I think Dino's getting me ready for Pankration and keeping the shoulder healthy. Lots of fun this weekend with a pankration seminar with Aris.

Rumor has it you are getting kind of buffed. Congrats!

skyguy
06-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Got leg?

Try this reasonable-basic test of leg strength and endurance. (caution, 'not' for weenies):

Walking Lunges:
3 sets of 10 for each leg with a 30# dumbell in each hand. Alternate right and left leg as is pictured below.
30 second rest between sets.

http://www.exrx.net/AnimatedEx/GluteusMaximus/DBWalkingLunge_8.gif

If one has 'got leg', 3 sets can be done in 3 minutes or less.

Lunges are good. They develop and strengthen the thighs, hips,
glutes and hamstrings. Stationary or walking lunges target two primary muscle groups:

the hip extensors, comprising the gluteal muscles and hamstrings; and
the knee extensors, made up of the four muscles collectively known as the quadriceps.The muscles used in the 'lunge' are the same as those used in the 'squat', but the lunge provides greater range of motion, allowing more substantial gluteal and hamstring development.

crebralfix
06-20-2007, 03:20 PM
Ruthless workout:

1/2 mile run
100 wall balls with a 16 pound ball
100 slam balls with 25 pound ball
100 jumps

This was very challenging.

Gabriel Suarez
06-20-2007, 03:59 PM
06-19
Active Rest - Private Lesson at the High desert range

06-20
2 mile run - puke speed

Cold War Scout
06-21-2007, 11:09 AM
June 21st:
Exercise contraptions and sports specific devices workout routine. 41 different exercises, 47 total sets.

Gabriel Suarez
06-21-2007, 01:57 PM
06-21
Kettlebells:
5 sets of 40 American Swings alternated with 40 DARC Swings
5 sets of 10 pullups
5 sets of KB snatches (working on cleaner form)

michael
06-21-2007, 06:29 PM
6/21

5 rounds of:

Bench press
Weighted v situps
KB deadlifts

Jack Rumbaugh
06-21-2007, 06:35 PM
6/21

Did my kettlebell routine.

3 x 10
2 Arm Swings
1 Arm Swings (Same Side)
1 Arm snatch High Pulls

First 2 sets were 35 lb and last set 45 lbs. Next week I do last 2 sets with the 45.

I tried a few snatches and they popped right up from the high pull training.

Cold War Scout
06-22-2007, 07:20 AM
June 22nd:
- 3 sets of barbell military presses, barbell back squats, dumbbell sit-ups, and COC hand grips. Gotta go pick up Nena at the airport. Hope to finish up when I get back but who knows, so I decided to do a little something before I left.

EDIT: Well I came back and knocked out 9 more barbell exercises (to include 51 thrusters), 1 set of ankle weights leg raises, and am calling it a day.

* Day 89 in a row of doing some sort of a substantive workout.

JohnH11B
06-22-2007, 01:34 PM
6/22/07

40 reps of each: pushups, situps, benchpress, curls, lat. pulldowns and tricep pushdowns
Finished with a mile run as fast as I could

Kobra
06-22-2007, 03:31 PM
5 rounds of:
High Pulls x5 reps
Dumbell Power Cleans x5 reps
Thrusters x5 reps
1-2 minutes rest

Air Squat Tabata aka 4 Minutes in the Hot Gates (8 rounds of):
20 seconds (as many airsquats as you can do)
10 seconds rest

skyguy
06-23-2007, 10:37 AM
Yesterday, 6-22:

Hiked from 7,000 ft elevation to 11,000 ft treeline...close to a mile rise...with a twenty pound survival-needs backpack, a .45 and my dog.

It's still cool with some snow at upper elevations. The lower elevation mountain-meadows are warmer and have hip high grasses and many varied wildflowers. Everything's blooming. God's country, indeed.

I've always believed that long training runs are counterproductive for the average guy because the constant pounding contributes to injuries and damage to feet, ankles, shins, knees and hips and over-stresses the heart. Therefore IMO, not a good thing for non-athletes.

Personally, when I hike, I like to run 100 yd sprints to simulate running for my life....at least two uphill and two downhill. That's about a quarter mile total.

Maintaining an average hiking heartrate around 120 bpm is ideal for my cardio because my resting bpm is around 60.

.........and bouldering-scrambling helps to keep me limber:

http://photos.imageevent.com/leemutlee/colt/boulderfield_1.jpg

Cold War Scout
06-23-2007, 10:38 AM
June 23rd:
- Kettlebells workout. Mostly double kettlebells (15 different exercises, 22 total sets). Some single kettlebells also (3 different exercises, 4 total sets).
- Added some sprint work (1x400, 1x200, 2x100) for time later on. Times were pathetic so I won't be sharing them.

* Day 90 in a row of doing some sort of a substantive workout. Day 172 of the 174 days so far this year.

Cold War Scout
06-23-2007, 10:49 AM
My personal run for my very life was more like 800 meters. With fences I had to hurdle along the way.

Whenever I had to really chase somebody on the job it was more like 150-200 meters, although my very first arrest was a long run through Central Park that must have been at least 3/4 mile. There were a couple in the range of 50-100 meters, but those were usually because of obstacles that made it difficult for the bandit to go any further.

For street survival training I think the best distances to run are the 400 and 800. A 400 should be pretty much a sprint/dash. If you can do a good 400, you can do a pretty darn good 200 and 600. The 800 is not a run that you can do all out. Even the very best have to take some time off the first lap or they will burn out during the 2nd. If you can do a good, solid 800, then you can run a respectable 400 and a good 1,000 (1 kilometer) by default. My personal observations are that people who can do a good 400 and a good 800, have a lot of bases covered.

Add to that mix the occasional dead out sprints of 100 and 200, and the occasional 1600 meter run (almost 1 mile), and that is a pretty rounded out running conditioning program.

michael
06-23-2007, 03:41 PM
6/23

Very tired after a day of work and only 4 hours sleep, but I did it anyway.

4 rounds, with little rest, of:

Pull-ups
KB snatches
KB clean and presses
KB swings (2 handed/American)

10 minute stretch

Kobra
06-23-2007, 07:42 PM
Light Day (5 rounds):

10 x 24" box jumps (as fast as you can do them)
10 x Plyo-Pull-Ups (Lots of knee and leg action on the way up/as fast as you can do 'em)
10 x Floor Wipers
1-2 minutes rest

Finish with:
2 mile jog

Cold War Scout
06-24-2007, 08:56 AM
June 24th:
- Flexibility training: 25-minutes from Warrior Wellness DVD; beginners program. 30-minutes from A.M./P.M. Stretch DVD; A.M. Stretch program.

- Decided to add in some burpees. 106 in 5 sets. I was glad to have reached a new single set PR of 40.

michael
06-24-2007, 10:11 AM
Where might one find these dvd's????

Here's the website, but I don't see WW listed anymore. I have it and bought it there--maybe they've discontinued it? You might try ebay, but here's the link anyway: http://www.rmaxinternational.com/mambo/index.php?page=shop.browse&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=

Cold War Scout
06-24-2007, 10:37 AM
Here's the website, but I don't see WW listed anymore. I have it and bought it there--maybe they've discontinued it? You might try ebay, but here's the link anyway: http://www.rmaxinternational.com/mambo/index.php?page=shop.browse&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=

RMAX was selling Warrior Wellness some time back on a closeout sale. I suspect it has been officially discontinued. I'm sure Sonnon now has the material it included in some other program.

The basic program, at least, is a joint mobility program, as opposed to a muscle stretch program which frequently works more on the muscles for flexibility, than it does on joint range of motion for mobility enhancement.

The AM/PM Stretch DVD is from GAIAM. The 30 minute program seems to work on stretching every muscle in the body along the way. Very yoga-like. Nothing special there.

I don't do flexibility training as much as I should, but whenever I do I always feel better before, during and after regular workouts.

skyguy
06-24-2007, 11:11 AM
trunk exercises; tranny-ab and low back stuff, combo-bridges, crunches, planks, leg lifts

upper body dumbell warmups, straight to:

bench press 225 lbs....2 x 10 reps
bench press 285 lbs....1 x 2 reps

incline bench 200 lbs...1 x 10 reps
seated press 135 lbs....2 x 10 reps

weighted dips 40 lbs....2 x 10 reps
weighted pullups 20 lbs....2 x 10 reps

barbell tricep exts 120 lbs....2 x 10 reps
dumbell conc. curls 40 lbs....2 x 10 reps

About one minute rest between 30 second sets in order to maintain elevated heartrate @ about 120 bpm.

michael
06-24-2007, 02:35 PM
6/24

4 rounds, with little rest, of:

Incline DB bench press
BB bent over rows
V situps (weighted)
Box jumps

Finished with tabata squats, followed by 10 minute stretch.

Last workout at home before heading for the beach tomorrow. I'll be taking a couple of KB's and my ab wheel with me.

Wolfe
06-24-2007, 04:53 PM
6/24/07

A long work week kept me off the weights until today athough I was by no means idle. Every night I worked at the Hub unloading freight for 3.5 hours. A couple of nights were real ass whuppers. I lifted a lot of heavy freight,kept my heart rate up and sweat off about 2 pounds each night. Between the night gigg and the day job, i was only getting between 3 and 5 hours sleep at any one time.

Today with the 24kg Kettlebell I did:

Clean and Press 2X10 each side
Military press 2X10 each side
1arm rows " "
Front squats 2X12 on each side with KB racked - 4 sets total
Snatches 2X10 each side
Swings 10 darc 10 1 handed alternating 2 sets
passes around waist 2X10
figure 8 passes between/aroung legs 2 X10
farmer's walk 60 yards each side
one arm curls 1X8 each side
overhead triceps extensions for a shoulder stretch 1X10

Cold War Scout
06-25-2007, 11:51 AM
June 25th:
- Dumbbells/ankle weights mix: 30 different dumbbell exercises (35 total sets). 9 sets of different ankle weights exercises.

Kobra
06-25-2007, 07:43 PM
The Meltdown (aka What Masocist Invented This!?) ;)

Do As Many Rounds As You Can
1.10 Bodyweight Power Cleans from floor
2. 40 Meter Sprint
3. 10 "Explosive" Burpees
4. 40 Meter Sprint
3 Minute Round of All Weapons on Heavy Bag
Rest 1 Minute

I could only get through this twice (did a third round but the sprint was more like how a dying man runs when he's about to fall in the desert, and I think I hugged the bag more than hit it). So, I'm not sure that the third round counts. The Meltdown is a great title for this workout as I was dripping sweat after the first round of sprints.

Also, I was at 75% (not full body weight) on the power cleans. My shins are chewed up. But it will be a good measure of my progress.

Cold War Scout
06-26-2007, 12:25 PM
The Meltdown (aka What Masocist Invented This!?) ;)

Do As Many Rounds As You Can
1.10 Bodyweight Power Cleans from floor
2. 40 Meter Sprint
3. 10 "Explosive" Burpees
4. 40 Meter Sprint
3 Minute Round of All Weapons on Heavy Bag
Rest 1 Minute

I could only get through this twice (did a third round but the sprint was more like how a dying man runs when he's about to fall in the desert, and I think I hugged the bag more than hit it). So, I'm not sure that the third round counts. The Meltdown is a great title for this workout as I was dripping sweat after the first round of sprints.

Also, I was at 75% (not full body weight) on the power cleans. My shins are chewed up. But it will be a good measure of my progress.

I'm glad to hear that. I am pretty sure I personally can't power clean 220.

Cold War Scout
06-26-2007, 12:27 PM
June 26th:
- Clubbells. 41 different exercises. 43 total sets.

Of all the workouts I do this takes the longest. You frequently have to let your grip strength return before you can move on, else you will either not be able to do an exercise, or you will kill yourself trying.

Kobra
06-26-2007, 12:42 PM
I'm glad to hear that. I am pretty sure I personally can't power clean 220.

Yeah, it took a while to get through the power cleans. And by then you are, at least I was, huffing and puffing. My form sucks, too, which makes them difficult. By the end of those the sprints and burpees look daunting, and by the time I hit the bag I was dying. I really shouldn't have counted the third round at all. It was frickin' pathetic.

Cold War Scout
06-26-2007, 12:54 PM
Yeah, it took a while to get through the power cleans. And by then you are, at least I was, huffing and puffing. My form sucks, too, which makes them difficult. By the end of those the sprints and burpees look daunting, and by the time I hit the bag I was dying. I really shouldn't have counted the third round at all. It was frickin' pathetic.

Most people could not do that workout. It would crumble most bodybuilders, powerlifters, and commerical gym denizens. Be proud of yourself dude.

skyguy
06-26-2007, 02:48 PM
40 Meter Sprint
Surely, you mean '400' meter sprint. :)
40 meters is about 130 feet which we routinely do backwards.

Anyway, try these for a leg/cardio workout.....Walking Lunges:

3 sets of 10 for each leg with a 30# dumbell in each hand.
Alternate right and left leg as is pictured below.
30 second rest between sets. 3 sets in 3 minutes or less.

If you ever do these, make sure somebody that knows CPR is there with you.

Kobra
06-26-2007, 03:10 PM
Most people could not do that workout. It would crumble most bodybuilders, powerlifters, and commerical gym denizens. Be proud of yourself dude.

Thanks, bro. I'm getting there.

Wolfe
06-26-2007, 05:40 PM
Got my 16kg kettlebell today. Lifeline USA. Good quality hunk of black iron and steel.
Played with some new exercises, doing:

6 sets or so of windmills each side 16kg.
5 min. of Turkish get ups 16kg.
2 sets of Get up set ups 24 then 20 with 16kg.. 7 year old sitting on my feet.
4 sets of Dino's core busters 3 sets with 16kg qand 1 sets with 24kg (my core was busted)
2 sets of halos with 24kg.

Earlier in the day took the girls to the park. 90 degrees and spent a long time sprinting around/pushing the merry-go-round with a bunch of kids yelling "faster ! Faster!"

I think credit for the "Meltdown" goes to Dino.

Kobra
06-26-2007, 06:15 PM
Hey, skyguy, try The Meltdown with only the 40 meter sprint and see how you do. I guarantee it will be a religious experience for you. ;) Let us know how it goes. :D

Surely, you mean '400' meter sprint. :)
40 meters is about 130 feet which we routinely do backwards.

Anyway, try these for a leg/cardio workout.....Walking Lunges:

3 sets of 10 for each leg with a 30# dumbell in each hand.
Alternate right and left leg as is pictured below.
30 second rest between sets. 3 sets in 3 minutes or less.

If you ever do these, make sure somebody that knows CPR is there with you.

Cold War Scout
06-26-2007, 06:54 PM
Hey, skyguy, try The Meltdown with only the 40 meter sprint and see how you do. I guarantee it will be a religious experience for you. ;) Let us know how it goes. :D

Don't forget the burpees. Full pushup nipples to ground. Full jump with hands over head.

Kobra
06-26-2007, 07:06 PM
Don't forget the burpees. Full pushup nipples to ground. Full jump with hands over head.

Yeah, exactly. Burpees are fun. ;)

Cold War Scout
06-26-2007, 07:19 PM
Yeah, exactly. Burpees are fun. ;)

I know whenever I have done these types of workouts Dino made up, by the time you were 30 seconds into the body bag portion, you were already dead tired and huffing and puffing like a madman.

I think you doing 3 rounds is quite respectable. Quite so.

Did you just pummel the bag, or did you switch up and knife it and take a rattan stick to it? Dino would do sh!t like make you do the first 45 seconds using a training knife, then suddenly yell out "your knife just went flying." Then you had to bend down and pick up a stick (the time delay simulated the time delay you would need to break out your ASP. 45 seconds of stick swinging and then he would say "your baton just collapsed." Then it was kicking and punching time. With about 30 seconds left he would say "you slipped and fell to your knees, finish this guy up on your knees."

Those 3 minutes could be very, very taxing. Friggin' psycho.

bae4
06-26-2007, 07:31 PM
5 Sets of :

400 Meter Run
20 Ring Rows
20 BurpeesMy shirt was completely drenched by the end of it.

skyguy
06-26-2007, 09:37 PM
Can I do it? Hell yeah....under my own criteria.
See, I avoid stupid shit. And I wasn't kidding when I said we routinely run 40 meters backwards. 2x10 burpees is a piece of cake. 3 minute rounds of punching and kicking a heavy bag is normal....and I'm 65 yrs old. I've stayed consistently fit from way back in high school wrestling.

My training criteria is a function of my heartrate which is kept around a continuous 120 bpm. My resting heartrate is 60 bpm.
I know better than to over-train my body and to over-exert my heart. Mr. Health-Jim Fixx didn't and he dropped dead while running at age 52.

Maintenance strength training for me still includes 100 lbs over my bodyweight in the bench, squat, deadlift...all for reps.

With exercise, after a certain amount of effort and sets, it becomes diminishing returns followed by counter-productive followed by the danger zone.

Many newbies to training actually believe that training to nausea or fainting is a manly thing, whereas it really can be a precurser to a cardiac event; a heart attack.....at any age.
A lot of people, athletes and not, young and old, have died within the 24 hour period after a very stressful workout.
Not talked about very much in the workout world, is it. :)

I'm athletic, but I'm 'not' an athlete.....so I train accordingly.
And, believe it or not, I'm still in better physical and fighting shape than most 40ish-50ish guys. Most are trying to repair years of neglect of their bodies, have joint pain and aches, nagging injuries, stiffness and are not nearly as strong as they look. (fat)

Workout routines are like diets....more or less, everything works....some are just really goofy.

I still suggest the Walking Lunges because I've noticed that not many guys here work legs for 'strength'. Three sets of walking lunges will reveal one's strength or weakness in legs and test one's cardio fitness.

You need strong legs and leg endurance for combatives.

Kobra
06-26-2007, 10:31 PM
I know whenever I have done these types of workouts Dino made up, by the time you were 30 seconds into the body bag portion, you were already dead tired and huffing and puffing like a madman.

I think you doing 3 rounds is quite respectable. Quite so.

Did you just pummel the bag, or did you switch up and knife it and take a rattan stick to it? Dino would do sh!t like make you do the first 45 seconds using a training knife, then suddenly yell out "your knife just went flying." Then you had to bend down and pick up a stick (the time delay simulated the time delay you would need to break out your ASP. 45 seconds of stick swinging and then he would say "your baton just collapsed." Then it was kicking and punching time. With about 30 seconds left he would say "you slipped and fell to your knees, finish this guy up on your knees."

Those 3 minutes could be very, very taxing. Friggin' psycho.

I attend a commercial, soccer-mom gym. Not all bad. Sometimes the scenery is motivational, but I'm able to have a run at all this stuff Dino puts out. The trainers know what I'm doing. So, I haven't considered breaking out weapons on the bag yet. I do have some Cold Steel rubber that I'll take for the next round.

And I know exactly what you are talking about concerning the huffing and puffing. Dino puts your body into survival mode early and makes it fight for it--and for a good long time. As I've told him, "I want to be destroyed and rebuilt like a Phoenix." He's is great at both tasks and I look forward to the coming months. The workouts don't only change your body. They truly change change your mind. I wanna be forged in the furnace. Stoke the flames!

Cold War Scout
06-27-2007, 04:23 AM
I attend a commercial, soccer-mom gym. Not all bad. Sometimes the scenery is motivational, but I'm able to have a run at all this stuff Dino puts out. The trainers know what I'm doing. So, I haven't considered breaking out weapons on the bag yet. I do have some Cold Steel rubber that I'll take for the next round.

And I know exactly what you are talking about concerning the huffing and puffing. Dino puts your body into survival mode early and makes it fight for it--and for a good long time. As I've told him, "I want to be destroyed and rebuilt like a Phoenix." He's is great at both tasks and I look forward to the coming months. The workouts don't only change your body. They truly change change your mind. I wanna be forged in the furnace. Stoke the flames!

When I first broke out my RAT-7 inside the empty group fitness room at the World Gym Dino first worked at, and practiced some AMOK! cutting patterns/angles of attack, it drew some odd looks.

I learned long ago that if it were not for people like me, people like (fill in the blank) would have nobody to be better than. I play an important role in the food chain.

Wolfe
06-27-2007, 06:17 AM
When I first broke out my RAT-7 inside the empty group fitness room at the World Gym Dino first worked at, and practiced some AMOK! cutting patterns/angles of attack, it drew some odd looks.

I learned long ago that if it were not for people like me, people like (fill in the blank) would have nobody to be better than. I play an important role in the food chain.

Mighty good point CWS. I started to get into a pointless discussion on this thread but that stopped me. No matter how hard you are trying or working to improve, someone is always around to tell you how much better they are than you. That always makes me want to just keep plugging away.

Cold War Scout
06-27-2007, 06:31 AM
Can I do it? Hell yeah....under my own criteria.
See, I avoid stupid shit. And I wasn't kidding when I said we routinely run 40 meters backwards. 2x10 burpees is a piece of cake. 3 minute rounds of punching and kicking a heavy bag is normal....and I'm 65 yrs old. I've stayed consistently fit from way back in high school wrestling.

My training criteria is a function of my heartrate which is kept around a continuous 120 bpm. My resting heartrate is 60 bpm.
I know better than to over-train my body and to over-exert my heart. Mr. Health-Jim Fixx didn't and he dropped dead while running at age 52.

Maintenance strength training for me still includes 100 lbs over my bodyweight in the bench, squat, deadlift...all for reps.

With exercise, after a certain amount of effort and sets, it becomes diminishing returns followed by counter-productive followed by the danger zone.

Many newbies to training actually believe that training to nausea or fainting is a manly thing, whereas it really can be a precurser to a cardiac event; a heart attack.....at any age.
A lot of people, athletes and not, young and old, have died within the 24 hour period after a very stressful workout.
Not talked about very much in the workout world, is it. :)

I'm athletic, but I'm 'not' an athlete.....so I train accordingly.
And, believe it or not, I'm still in better physical and fighting shape than most 40ish-50ish guys. Most are trying to repair years of neglect of their bodies, have joint pain and aches, nagging injuries, stiffness and are not nearly as strong as they look. (fat)

Workout routines are like diets....more or less, everything works....some are just really goofy.

I still suggest the Walking Lunges because I've noticed that not many guys here work legs for 'strength'. Three sets of walking lunges will reveal one's strength or weakness in legs and test one's cardio fitness.

You need strong legs and leg endurance for combatives.

So does this mean you are actually going to do the workout? If so, perhaps you would consider videoing your performance. I know I personally am always open to suggestions for improvement, but what really resonates well with me is seeing something with my own eyes. Also it seems you are pretty tech savvy with a camera, etc., so you could probably pull this off.

I'm not sure I understand the "but under my own criteria" part. It seems pretty clear to me that "The Meltdown" workout had a very defined set of criteria:

- 10 power cleans (with bodyweight equivalent weight)
- Immediately followed by a 40 meter sprint
- Immediately followed by 10 burpees
- Immediately followed by a 40 meter sprint
- Immediately followed by 3 hard minutes on a body bag

Doing this workout in any other manner simply means it is not "The Meltdown." It might be something else, but it is not "The Meltdown" as identified. If somebody posted that they did 500 burpees, but failed to mention that it took them all day to do them, well then I would say that was being disingenuous because the false impression was created that the poster essentially did them all in one basic workout time period, and not during numerous time periods during the day. "The Meltdown" is not a do each component at your own pace workout.

Strength without anaerobic endurance is not the best recipe for combatives conditioning. If it were, then that is all you would see MMA fighters and boxers doing. But for some strange reason you see them also doing anaerobically intense workouts so that they have the necessary gas to last a 3 or 5 minute round. I have personally seen bandits successfully take off running on muscleheads because all the strength in the world does not mean you can run a fast 400. Conversely I have seen a guy who can run forever catch a fleeing bandit, but then we had to pull the bandit off the guy because he did not have sufficient strength to deal with the bandit once he caught him. Combatives conditioning is all in the mix.

Regarding Dr. Fixx: As I recall Dr. Fixx's father had a history of poor heart health (died of a heart attack in his early 40s?). I even read once (many years ago) that it was believed he would not have even lived as long as he did were it not for his running regimen because of said family heart health history particluarly, coupled with the lifestyle Fixx had been leading up until he decided to get into running (smoking, overweight, etc.). An exception to a rule does not invalidate the rule.

By the way, I don't know why you are dissing 40 meter runs. It was just about a week ago you were pontificating about your own 100 meter runs. I have yet to meet a bandit, even fat slobs, who could not do 100 meters when the po-po were chasing them. But I saw plenty who could not make it 300.

If you want to prove that your method of conditioning is the most superior on the planet, then video your performance of "The Meltdown." It will make for the most compelling argument that your's is "the way."

skyguy
06-27-2007, 08:00 AM
If you want to prove that your method of conditioning is the most superior on the planet, then video your performance of "The Meltdown." It will make for the most compelling argument that your's is "the way."

LOL! I think I hit a nerve.

I have no intention of like you said "wanting to prove" my ways are "the most superior on the planet".
That's your schoolyard challenge to me.

And I'm not comparing anybody to anything....I am my own proof to myself and others that my methods are, indeed, proper training. Years of 'proper' training.

As I've already said: "I'm athletic, but I'm 'not' an athlete.....so I train accordingly."
Re-read my post and you'll see that I caution unfit newbies and wannabe fighters to listen to their body....to not over-stress themselves...especially during the dangerous heart attack years that start around 35. That's the way of the flesh and smart people understand the potential dangers in over-stressing a declining body.

Some folks here train like an athlete...a competitor. Yet they're 'not' an athlete training to peak at a specific date. They push their bodies beyond common sense. No athlete trains that way continually.
That's a whole different world from training for fitness, maintenance, quality of life and longevity.
Ego and insecurity can actually kill ya. It happens a lot. Pay attention! :)

It was just about a week ago you were pontificating about your own 100 meter runs.
My four sprints are about 100 'yards' uphill and downhill at about 8000 ft elevationwith a 20lb pack......Big Bear style. Total of a quarter mile; 1200 feet.
40 meters is only 130 ft which I routinely run backwards for balance and agility and counter training. It's no big deal!

Hopefully you understand where I'm coming from and that I illuminate the dangers of bad training advice and examples; training not suited to amateurs.

And hey, I'm looking forward to seeing 'your' pic so that I can put a face and body on your name. That would be cool!

Here's me playin at quickdraw. I'm 65 years old now and still roll with the youngsters in their 40's and 50's.
After I kick their ass, they freak when I tell them my age. :)

http://photos.imageevent.com/leemutlee/colt/crossdraw.jpg

Cold War Scout
06-27-2007, 08:12 AM
LOL! I think I hit a nerve.

I have no intention of like you said "wanting to prove" my ways are "the most superior on the planet".
That's your schoolyard challenge to me.

And I'm not comparing anybody to anything....I am my own proof to myself and others that my methods are, indeed, proper training. Years of 'proper' training.

As I've already said: "I'm athletic, but I'm 'not' an athlete.....so I train accordingly."
Re-read my post and you'll see that I caution unfit newbies and wannabe fighters to listen to their body....to not over-stress themselves...especially during the dangerous heart attack years that start around 35. That's the way of the flesh and smart people understand the potential dangers in over-stressing a declining body.

Some folks here train like an athlete...a competitor. Yet they're 'not' an athlete training to peak at a specific date. They push their bodies beyond common sense. No athlete trains that way continually.
That's a whole different world from training for fitness, maintenance, quality of life and longevity.
Ego and insecurity can actually kill ya. It happens a lot. Pay attention! :)

My four sprints are about 100 'yards' uphill and downhill at about 8000 ft elevationwith a 20lb pack......Big Bear style. Total of a quarter mile; 1200 feet.
40 meters is only 130 ft which I routinely run backwards for balance and agility and counter training. It's no big deal!

Hopefully you understand where I'm coming from and that I illuminate the dangers of bad training advice and examples; training not suited to amateurs.

And hey, I'm looking forward to seeing 'your' pic so that I can put a face and body on your name. That would be cool!

Here's me playin at quickdraw. I'm 65 years old now and still roll with the youngsters in their 40's and 50's.
After I kick their ass, they freak when I tell them my age. :)

You, sir, are a contrarian. No more, no less. Anybody whose workout does not comport with your own view of the world is deemed to be working out less than optimally. Your reference to "proper training", as if your way could be the only "proper" way, amply makes my point.

"Insecurity" is manifested by one's constant implication that their way is the "proper" way, and that any other method of working out is, ergo, not "proper."

Finally, I note you have still not done The Meltdown, only talked about its impotence from your perspective. But not actually done it. Don't forget, no rest between exercises and only 60 seconds rest between sets.

Now that it is 95°, I am gonna go do some improper weight vest hill climbing...to see if I can cause a heart attack to occur. I do not fear death, and I know I am not gonna be the first person on the planet to live forever. Plus my two girls will get a lot of money...more than enough to pay for college and med school.

skyguy
06-27-2007, 09:19 AM
Now that it is 95, I am gonna go do some improper weight vest hill climbing...to see if I can cause a heart attack to occur.
Hey, whatever. :)

Now I'm going for a hike, too.

I'll hike my regular route from 7000 ft elevation to about 10500 ft elevation with a 20 lb emergency backpack, my .45 and my dog.
It's about a 3500 ft rise and a three mile roundtrip.
Probably gonna scramble on the boulderfield below....to stretch and keep limber.

It's always fun. :)

http://photos.imageevent.com/leemutlee/colt/boulderfield1.jpg

Cold War Scout
06-27-2007, 09:33 AM
June 27th (active rest)
With 40 lb. weight vest:
- 8 trips down and up "Crack Ho" hill
- 26 burpees (12, 8, 6), each set done while still trying to catch breath from prior activity

Training Principles Violated
* one does not necessarily get to pick the conditions one might have to one day perform under:
- 95 to 97 temperatures
- 100 heat index
- 48% humidity
- Code Orange air quality day
- no hat (plus I just got a very close crew cut today)
- no sun block
- no insect repellant
- wearing black t-shirts and shorts
- did not hydrate before going outdoors (only had 2 cups of coffee and some gummi bears today)
- no cell phone or partner to call 911 if I did collapse
- did not perform tick check upon return

Outcomes
- did not have heart attack
- did not drown in sweat
- did not come back with any aches and pains I did not leave with

Jack Rumbaugh
06-27-2007, 10:25 AM
June 27th (active rest)
With 40 lb. weight vest:
- 26 burpees (12, 8, 6), each set done while still trying to catch breath from prior activity

* one does not necessarily get to pick the conditions one might have to one day perform under:
- 95 to 97 temperatures
- 100 heat index
- 48% humidity
- no sun block
- no insect repellant
- did not hydrate before going outdoors (only had 2 cups of coffee and some gummi bears today)

Outcomes
- did not drown in sweat

No Kettlebells?:eek: You didn't do a real and proper workout!:dope:

Been keeping up with the kettlebells on vacation. Worked up a good sweat last night with the following:

2 arm swings: 3x25
DARC swings: 3x20
One arm high pulls: 2x20
One arm snatch: 2x15

Wanted to try out a couple sets of one arm KB snatches. Felt great and I could tell it was working different things. No real soreness this morning. Back is feeling better and better. And not one rep done at more than 6 feet above sea level.:rolleyes:

Cold War Scout
06-27-2007, 10:28 AM
No Kettlebells?:eek: You didn't do a real and proper workout!:dope:

Been keeping up with the kettlebells on vacation. Worked up a good sweat last night with the following:

Who the heck signed your leave slip? I'll fire the SOB!

Jack Rumbaugh
06-27-2007, 11:07 AM
Who the heck signed your leave slip? I'll fire the SOB!

Little sun and surf in the OBX. Me likey.

Kobra
06-27-2007, 11:21 AM
June 27th (active rest)
With 40 lb. weight vest:

- 95 to 97 temperatures
- 100 heat index
- 48% humidity
- no sun block
- no insect repellant

Outcomes
- did not drown in sweat

ROFL! We eat the same type of breakfast! No sexy man-flex pic!?

Jack Rumbaugh
06-27-2007, 03:09 PM
No sexy man-flex pic!?

I almost shot Diet Dew out of my nose... That's FUNNY!

Kobra
06-27-2007, 03:32 PM
5 x 5 backsquat (as heavy as you can go and go deep down)

Followed by a non-stop group for three rounds (no rest even when you have done one group):

100' lunges
50 airsquats
25 back extensions

Jack Rumbaugh
06-27-2007, 04:36 PM
100' lunges

You have some long legs to do 100' lunges:eek:

Cold War Scout
06-27-2007, 08:10 PM
I almost shot Diet Dew out of my nose... That's FUNNY!

I don't even want to go there.....

Cold War Scout
06-28-2007, 12:01 PM
June 28th:
- Kettlebell triplets. 10 different kettlebell exercises done in sets of three each (clean and presses, snatches, 2-handed swings, cleans, 1-handed swings, get-up sit-ups, front squats, military presses, halos). Total of 30 sets.

Dan-O
06-28-2007, 12:37 PM
June 28th
I listened to Gabe tell me how he went for a puke run in the middle of the day in Prescott.
Man,I got tired just hearing about it.
Then I went and had a diet coke.
Wshew!

Gabriel Suarez
06-28-2007, 03:51 PM
Been teaching outside for that last 7 days or so. Firtst chance I've had to train myself is today. Two mile run at high speed. You know what is funny...after five days off and a close call with heat stress on SUnday, I bested my time today by 30 seconds!

Cold War Scout
06-29-2007, 09:59 AM
June 29th:
Did a bodyweight routine using weight vest (40 lbs.), ankle weights and Heavy Hands.
- 5 sets of weight vest pushups, situps, squats, calf raises and Saxon side bends (w/Heavy Hands) supersetted.
- 3 sets of weight vest parallette dips, ab wheel rollouts, and engines (w/Heavy Hands and ankle weights) supersetted.
- 3 sets of Captains of Crush (1 with #3, other 2 with #2)
- 3 sets of ankle weight flutter kicks and leg scissors supersetted.

skyguy
06-29-2007, 10:52 AM
Yesterday, a repeat:

trunk exercises; tranny-ab and low back stuff, combo-bridges, crunches, planks, leg lifts

upper body dumbell warmups, straight to:

bench press 225 lbs....2 x 10 reps
bench press 285 lbs....1 x 2 reps

incline bench 200 lbs...1 x 10 reps
seated press 135 lbs....2 x 10 reps

weighted dips 40 lbs....2 x 10 reps
weighted pullups 20 lbs....2 x 10 reps

barbell tricep exts 120 lbs....2 x 10 reps
dumbell conc. curls 40 lbs....2 x 10 reps

About one minute rest between 30 second sets in order to maintain elevated heartrate @ about 120 bpm.

peregrine
06-29-2007, 11:05 AM
Well i'm back from LA and got to pick up some kettlebells from the Budovideo store. Saddly had to pay a little extra for luggage, though it was still much cheaper than having it shipped to me.
I picked up a 54lbs, 35lbs and a 25lbs kettlebell. It was funny seeing all the airport personells faces as they tried to figure out what they were and how such a little box could weigh so much. Also guys forget on trying to get any through as carry on.

I got to see the Dogbrothers gathering in LA while there and it was an awesome event. Some of the fighters were in great condition.

skyguy
06-29-2007, 11:44 AM
after five days off and a close call with heat stress on SUnday, I bested my time today by 30 seconds!
Yes...we always refered to that as the lull before the storm.
(the needed rest/recuperation before the fight)

Cold War Scout
06-29-2007, 11:53 AM
Well i'm back from LA and got to pick up some kettlebells from the Budovideo store. Saddly had to pay a little extra for luggage, though it was still much cheaper than having it shipped to me.
I picked up a 54lbs, 35lbs and a 25lbs kettlebell. It was funny seeing all the airport personells faces as they tried to figure out what they were and how such a little box could weigh so much. Also guys forget on trying to get any through as carry on.

I got to see the Dogbrothers gathering in LA while there and it was an awesome event. Some of the fighters were in great condition.

When I had my first 62 lb. kettlebell delivered the UPS woman (she was hot...I do miss her) said to me "what the hell is in there, a cannonball?" My response was "well you're actually not too far off."

Jack Rumbaugh
06-29-2007, 12:13 PM
My UPS guy must be wondering too. It's just going to get worse as I get bigger KBs.:D

Wolfe
06-29-2007, 01:18 PM
When my 1st kettlebell was delivered, the FedEx lady asked " You have to tell me what this is, is it a cannon ball?" I said pretty much but with a handle. Since she has delivered two more "cannon balls" since then, I figure I''ll be on some sort of watch list.

Cold War Scout
06-29-2007, 01:19 PM
When my 1st kettlebell was delivered, the FedEx lady asked " You have to tell me what this is, is it a cannon ball?" I said pretty much but with a handle. Since she has delivered two more "cannon balls" since then, I figure I''ll be on some sort of watch list.

How are you liking them?

Wolfe
06-29-2007, 01:31 PM
How are you liking them?

I love the kettlebells. I like the fact that I can take them wherever I want to do a workout. I wish I had them years ago when I was wrestling. They are a nice way to spice up my workouts and, at least right now, are different enough to make training fun and something to look forward to. I think I my barbell power clean, squats and presses were getting routine. The kettlebell adds a new option to keep things fresh. I wont use them exclusively but I will use the a lot along with my barbell.

Cold War Scout
06-29-2007, 01:41 PM
I love the kettlebells. I like the fact that I can take them wherever I want to do a workout. I wish I had them years ago when I was wrestling. They are a nice way to spice up my workouts and, at least right now, are different enough to make training fun and something to look forward to. I think I my barbell power clean, squats and presses were getting routine. The kettlebell adds a new option to keep things fresh. I wont use them exclusively but I will use the a lot along with my barbell.

I don't use them exclusively either. They do interject some change into the mix that keeps things lively because Lord knows I hate working out as it is.

Wolfe
06-29-2007, 02:10 PM
I don't use them exclusively either. They do interject some change into the mix that keeps things lively because Lord knows I hate working out as it is.

I think one of the things that I like about them is, as Dan John has said, they are simple and they don't give you too many choices. Just take the kettlebell outside and work hard with it doing the exercises you can do with that weight. You don't have to get over the mental hurdle of going to the gym or, in my case, dragging out a lot of equipment. You could get in really good condition using only a pull up bar and a couple of kettlebells. I'm not sure it would be good enough shape to post pictures of yourself on the net-but better than average for sure.

Jack Rumbaugh
06-29-2007, 02:29 PM
I'm not sure it would be good enough shape to post pictures of yourself on the net-but better than average for sure.

Oh snap!:D

Wolfe
06-29-2007, 03:21 PM
Referring to Wolfe's comments about if one can get in good enough shape to post pics of one's self using only minimal equipment, I can only say that I look pretty damn good after only 7 weeks of working out!:cool:

But, ya'll are gonna have to take my word for it until we see each other in Memphis next year at WTS! LOL

And besides, I'd be giving up my "grey man" persona! :D Can't risk that for such small celebrity!

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n255/jrona33/beefcakecartman.jpg

I'm ready for prime time.

Gabriel Suarez
06-29-2007, 05:26 PM
06-29

Push Press 5x10
Pullups 5x12
Squats 5x4-10
Deadlifts 5x5
Hanging Leg Raises 4x25
KB Snatches 5x8 each arm

michael
06-30-2007, 06:24 AM
Back from the beach, but I worked out every day while I was there. I took 3 KB's with me, and actually had some pretty intense w/o's with the KB's and doing BW stuff.

Cold War Scout
06-30-2007, 06:45 AM
June 30th:
- Burpees. 80 in 5 sets. With 20 lb. weight vest. An on the road workout.

My new motto: Remember, if somebody big and bad attacks you with strength, run a blade through his eye socket. Follow it up with one under the arm pit, and then one straight into his throat. That will put an end to his frogginess.

michael
06-30-2007, 08:45 AM
My new motto: Remember, if somebody big and bad attacks you with strength, run a blade through his eye socket. Follow it up with one under the arm pit, and then one straight into his throat. That will put an end to his frogginess.

Works for me.:cool:

michael
06-30-2007, 08:46 AM
I love the kettlebells. I like the fact that I can take them wherever I want to do a workout. I.

As I found this past week, they are perfect to throw in the car for a good workout on the road.

crebralfix
06-30-2007, 11:52 AM
Me:

Row 500m fast
50 Sumo pulls
50 Slam balls
50 Squats

Wife (first workout!):

3 sets of:

10 push-ups
10 squat thrusters
10 kettlebells
10 sit-ups

unstpabl1
06-30-2007, 12:37 PM
Hey guys, Been a while. Just checking in. Good stuff being posted. I started standing in on a show and have been real busy with a couple of projects. Living on craft service hasn't helped me straighten out the diet, so I'm still having gout issues.

I thought I would be back working out this week, but one of the things I'm doing I'm playing a Big Pussy/ Tony Saprono type so I need to hold the size till its complete around the end of the July. Sucks cause I always pictured myself as more of a Brad Pitt type less hair

Dino I owe you a call. Next few days

Mike

michael
07-01-2007, 04:19 PM
7/1

4 rounds of:
Bench press
Pull-ups
V situps/weighted

Followed by 3 rounds of:
DB incline bench press
BB bent rows

Followed by:
Tabata squats

Jack Rumbaugh
07-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Back flaring up a bit so no kettlebells today.

Cold War Scout
07-01-2007, 04:43 PM
July 1st
Hotel room rubber tubing workout. 17 sets of some different exercises (e.g. squats, military presses, rows, floor presses, etc.). Then drove from Charlotte to Manassas. Took about 8 hours with lunch stop.

Gabriel Suarez
07-01-2007, 05:15 PM
07-01-07

2 mile run...puke level speed
30 minutes of drills with AK

crebralfix
07-01-2007, 06:22 PM
Me:

800 meter run
100 Ring rows
100 Body weight squats
100 sit-ups
100 slam balls with 25 pound ball

Wife:

1000 m row (did ~1500m warm-up before the work out)

20-15-10-5 Reps:

Slam Ball with 12 pound ball
Wall Ball with 8 pound ball

Cold War Scout
07-02-2007, 08:14 AM
The S.O. has one of those rubber tubing/D-handle things from Beach Body (:rolleyes: ). Do they work, CWS???

It's not always possible to work out the way one might like to. Because I have seen so many crappy hotel fitness rooms, or not had any access at all to any equipment, I put together a small rubber tubing workout kit that does the job of keeping the groove greased. It is not the most ideal scenario in the world but it works for me.

First I bought a roll of bulk tubing from what I am pretty sure was Lifeline USA.

http://www.lifelineusa.com/products.cfm?categoryid=9&productid=52

At the time they offered black which was rated R-10, the highest they had for sale. I only see them offering up to R-6 now.

Initially I cut the tubing into several lengths and tied knots in the ends of the lengths to serve as grips. Thus I had lengths conducive for the exercises I need longer lengths for (e.g. squats, military presses), as well as shorter lengths for other exercises (rows. floor presses, sit-ups, etc.). These did the job.

But I did not particularly like the knots as handles aspect, so I ordered a couple of pair of grips from Lifeline:

http://www.lifelineusa.com/products.cfm?categoryid=9&productid=128

Now I have two lengths of rubber tubing, each with a pair of grips attached to them. The grips are adjustable when/if necessary. Both lengths with handles fit in a small bag so it is easy to pack and take on travel. The exercises you can do with them are only limited by the imagination. The set-up does the job of allowing for a decent workout with the tubing lengths. In fact sometimes using the tubing is a good break from using other workout equipment. The resistance is not inconsequential.

Like I said, it works well for the purposes for which it is intended.

zen4
07-02-2007, 08:57 AM
It's not always possible to work out the way one might like to. Because I have seen so many crappy hotel fitness rooms, or not had any access at all to any equipment, I put together a small rubber tubing workout kit that does the job of keeping the groove greased. It is not the most ideal scenario in the world but it works for me.

First I bought a roll of bulk tubing from what I am pretty sure was Lifeline USA.

http://www.lifelineusa.com/products.cfm?categoryid=9&productid=52

At the time they offered black which was rated R-10, the highest they had for sale. I only see them offering up to R-6 now.

Initially I cut the tubing into several lengths and tied knots in the ends of the lengths to serve as grips. Thus I had lengths conducive for the exercises I need longer lengths for (e.g. squats, military presses), as well as shorter lengths for other exercises (rows. floor presses, sit-ups, etc.). These did the job.

But I did not particularly like the knots as handles aspect, so I ordered a couple of pair of grips from Lifeline:

http://www.lifelineusa.com/products.cfm?categoryid=9&productid=128

Now I have two lengths of rubber tubing, each with a pair of grips attached to them. The grips are adjustable when/if necessary. Both lengths with handles fit in a small bag so it is easy to pack and take on travel. The exercises you can do with them are only limited by the imagination. The set-up does the job of allowing for a decent workout with the tubing lengths. In fact sometimes using the tubing is a good break from using other workout equipment. The resistance is not inconsequential.

Like I said, it works well for the purposes for which it is intended.

Those are good handles for Tband and tubing, we use them in therapy setting a ton..................

Cold War Scout
07-02-2007, 11:42 AM
July 2nd:
Exercise contraptions and sports specific devices workout routine. Did 25 different exercises, 31 total sets and then had to go food shopping. There is not even any gummi bears in the house to live off of. Hope to do some more/finish up when I get back.

EDIT: Came back and did 17 more different exercises, 18 more sets. Total for day is 42 different exercises, 49 total sets.

Today was a good example of how variety can make a difference. I was "scheduled" to do Clubbells today. But when I woke up at 10:30 (eat your heart out) I just did not feel like working out at all if it had to be Clubbells today. But having something else to switch up to made all the difference.

Cold War Scout
07-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Those are good handles for Tband and tubing, we use them in therapy setting a ton..................

I would never have believed that the little plastic ball would hold the tubing in place....

Cold War Scout
07-02-2007, 01:31 PM
July 2nd

Dino had me do a variation of Sonny P's DB Manmakers. Probably should be "mankillers", but I digress.

Did 35 in 20 minutes. I'd wave to ya'll, but can't raise my arms above my shoulders!

Regarding the rubber band thingies, my Darlin' has some. Three different resistance bands. I may learn how to use them!

For somebody like you, you would need substantive resistance.

I also have a roll of the below Gold Theraband. I use it sometimes for some things, and keep a loose length in the truck. It is much easier to grip IMHO than tubing.

http://www.painreliever.com/theraband_HYG113.html

Gabriel Suarez
07-02-2007, 01:57 PM
07-02

30 minutes of AK drills
Kettlebells - 10 sets of 30 American Swings

Elkhunter
07-02-2007, 02:47 PM
I discovered a little something on the American swings yesterday.

But I will ask first to make sure Im not the first to notice it.

Gabe and anyone else,
When you do the american verison of the kettlebell swing, do you just let it coast to the top of the arc or put it up with as much force as you can and make yourself stop it at the top?

I found out yesterday that if you really fling the KB up and make yourself stop it and force it back down, it gives you double the workout.

BE CAREFUL if you try this, dont let it flip around back and have it end up on your head.

michael
07-02-2007, 06:39 PM
7/2

Just a quickie workout tonight after work.

5 sets of DB overhead presses
3 sets of lateral raises
3 sets of lying triceps extensions, supersetted with presses & BB curls
3 sets of cable triceps extensions, supersetted with cable curls

Jack Rumbaugh
07-02-2007, 06:48 PM
Did 3x30 2 arm swings.

Quick and dirty.

Gabriel Suarez
07-02-2007, 07:01 PM
I discovered a little something on the American swings yesterday.

But I will ask first to make sure Im not the first to notice it.
Gabe and anyone else,
When you do the american verison of the kettlebell swing, do you just let it coast to the top of the arc or put it up with as much force as you can and make yourself stop it at the top?

I found out yesterday that if you really fling the KB up and make yourself stop it and force it back down, it gives you double the workout.

BE CAREFUL if you try this, dont let it flip around back and have it end up on your head.

I force it up hard and on the last swing throw it overhaed and behind. It helps to have a big sand pit.

Kobra
07-02-2007, 07:13 PM
I just took a kettlebell seminar this past Saturday at a Crossfit center here in Phoenix. Going off of what the instructor taught me the greatest power for the swing comes from the hip area and the core. Let the bell fall on the way down--don't resist it. The power for the other direction comes by thrusting the hips forward more so than the shoulders.

unstpabl1
07-02-2007, 09:11 PM
I just took a kettlebell seminar this past Saturday at a Crossfit center here in Phoenix. Going off of what the instructor taught me the greatest power for the swing comes from the hip area and the core. Let the bell fall on the way down--don't resist it. The power for the other direction comes by thrusting the hips forward more so than the shoulders.

KOBRA. That structure Dino stresses, the proper mechanics, making the body follow the proper path works with all

my w/o the last 3 days have been basic and quickies

1 to 1 1/2 mile run/ walks
Today added a 40 minute walk around the soundstages while talking to Dino

Probaly won't post much till I get some stuff cleard, but I'm still training. Really proud of some of you guys. Keep up the good work

Mike

Kobra
07-02-2007, 09:24 PM
KOBRA. That structure Dino stresses, the proper mechanics, making the body follow the proper path works with all

my w/o the last 3 days have been basic and quickies

1 to 1 1/2 mile run/ walks
Today added a 40 minute walk around the soundstages while talking to Dino

Probaly won't post much till I get some stuff cleard, but I'm still training. Really proud of some of you guys. Keep up the good work

Mike

One of my dreams is to look at all the men who stand around me and with me in life's fight and know that they are all my heroes. You get a great deal of that here. There are plenty of men here to emulate. Stay in the fight, brother. And listening to Dino is a huge part of that!

unstpabl1
07-02-2007, 10:39 PM
One of my dreams is to look at all the men who stand around me and with me in life's fight and know that they are all my heroes. You get a great deal of that here. There are plenty of men here to emulate. Stay in the fight, brother. And listening to Dino is a huge part of that!

its a funny thing. i consider Dino one of my best friends. I'm not a soldier, a cop, a tough guy or even a shooter. So why am I here at WT?

I think because being a warrior is about life's fight. Our battlefields differ but its still a battlefield with different types of obstacles to overcome.Staying strong and focused, The path of least resistanceis a slippery slope. Its about facing that struggle daily and the truth is its hard to do alone. this particular sub forum has been a lifesaver to me in many ways. Many have inspired and helped me here and hopefully I've helped some as well

I have the same dream Kobra. To meet so many of the guyswho've helped me here. Years ago I defined my purpose. "To entertain, educate, enlighten and inspire as many people as possible thru my work and my life. I haven't done the best job of living on purpose, but the last few months fighting and posting thru Teamn Ruthless and th support here have definitly got me back on track

Good luck with your training. I caught up on some of the postings here and your kicking ass

Mike

Kobra
07-03-2007, 12:18 AM
Eval. day. Each exercise was timed. The goal was to go for max reps over the alloted time limit. The time limit for each exercise was one minute. It was humbling. I'm not where I'd like to be. And frankly I don't plan on ever being there, but i'm damn well gonna try!

Smith Rows: 30
Bench Press (bodyweight/225 lbs.): 12
Back Squat (bodyweight/225 lbs.): 11
Deadlift (bodyweight and a half 315 lbs. Ok, I whimped out a bit): 4
Pull-ups (no kip): 19
Push-ups: 45

atrox_vis
07-03-2007, 07:08 AM

Another thing that is important is when the ball is at the top and begins it's unresisted drop, allow your hips to drop at the same rate the ball does. It does a couple of things that are important. One, it allows for your torso to reamain upright during descent - good for lower back. Two, it allows you the perfect "Load-up" for the next rep - your bottom position will be low and strong. Also, you should consider deriving power from the push with your feet and not just your hips. It should be such a strong push that you should almost leave the ground - power through the heels first and follow-up power through the balls of the foot. Amost like you are jumping to initiate ball momentum. It will result in much more of an explosive power swing.

Cold War Scout
07-03-2007, 10:47 AM
July 3rd:
- Clubbells. 37 different exercises. 38 total sets. Did my "lighter weights" program.

* Day 100 in a row of some sort of substantive workout.

peregrine
07-03-2007, 02:11 PM
Eval. day. Each exercise was timed. The goal was to go for max reps over the alloted time limit. The time limit for each exercise was one minute. It was humbling. I'm not where I'd like to be. And frankly I don't plan on ever being there, but i'm damn well gonna try!

Smith Rows: 30
Bench Press (bodyweight/225 lbs.): 12
Back Squat (bodyweight/225 lbs.): 11
Deadlift (bodyweight and a half 315 lbs. Ok, I whimped out a bit): 4
Pull-ups (no kip): 19
Push-ups: 45

Nice numbers, ESPECIALLY the pull ups at your weight. Most 'big' guys i know can't do more than a few.

Cold War Scout
07-03-2007, 03:24 PM
July 3rd, 2007

100 Pullups
100 Pushups
100 Situps
100 Squats
100 4 Ct. Mt. Climbers

40 minutes

Everyone have a Happy Fourth of July! And, REMEMBER why we celebrate it!!!

I would imagine 100 pullups ate up a good percentage of that 40 minutes.

Gabriel Suarez
07-03-2007, 03:32 PM
07-03

30 minutes AK drills/Footwork drills as warm-up
2 Mile Sprint.

Kobra
07-03-2007, 04:57 PM
Humbled and hobbled today.

Couplet One (5 rounds):
1 Power Clean + 10 Push Presses (Staying true to my ability not to follow directions, I was only supposed to do 5 push presses).
10 Core Busters
1 Minute rest

Couplet Two (5 rounds):
Front Squats x 5
10 Broadjumps

Couplet Three (5 rounds):
400 meter dash
15 Burpees

Only got through one round of the sprints and burpees. Getting that far took us an hour. Really sad. Time to work harder.

Cold War Scout
07-03-2007, 05:04 PM
Humbled and hobbled today.

Couplet One (5 rounds):
1 Power Clean + 10 Push Presses (Staying true to my ability not to follow directions, I was only supposed to do 5 push presses).
10 Core Busters
1 Minute rest

Couplet Two (5 rounds):
Front Squats x 5
10 Broadjumps

Couplet Three (5 rounds):
400 meter dash
15 Burpees

Only got through one round of the sprints and burpees. Getting that far took us an hour. Really sad. Time to work harder.

Be proud my brother. Jumping into burpees after doing an intense 400 is probably one of the hardest things one can do, much less after all you had already done.

Maybe if you had followed instructions and done only 5 push presses, you might have stood a chance. :)

Dino needs to make up a t-shirt for you guys. "Dino's knuckle draggers."

Jack Rumbaugh
07-03-2007, 05:11 PM
Dino gave me more to do.

I'm adding in:

Snatches
Clean and Push Press
Thrusters
Hi/Lo carry

Added to my 2 and 1 armend swings.

Just learning the movements was "fun":D

The next couple weeks will suck.

Kobra
07-03-2007, 05:54 PM
Be proud my brother. Jumping into burpees after doing an intense 400 is probably one of the hardest things one can do, much less after all you had already done.

Maybe if you had followed instructions and done only 5 push presses, you might have stood a chance. :)

Dino needs to make up a t-shirt for you guys. "Dino's knuckle draggers."

For the first time in a long time I felt like I couldn't suck in enough air for my body. I wasn't just dragging knuckles, but was instead walking on my lips with the rest of my seemingly lifeless body dragging behind. And you are correct about the possibilities had I followed directions. In fact Dino said the same thing. Lots of dross left for Dino to skim off as we move through the forging process. Melted, purified, formed, and pounded into a fine blade. Thanks for the encouragement, brother. It is much appreciated.

peregrine
07-03-2007, 09:01 PM
Kobra wow on your workout of the day(wod).

finished with
400m
then
15 burpees.

I think i'm going to love it in a sic gleeful way. The run and burpees that's some icing on the cake.
*Note to self- Todd and his hooligans are training very hard for me. Must push harder than he is.

Cold War Scout
07-04-2007, 09:56 AM
July 4th:
- Decided to try and give Dino's couplet # 3 (as done by Kobra) from the other day a try. Just couplet # 3. All I could manage was:

3 sets of 400 meter runs followed by 15 burpees*
1 set of 300 meter run, followed by 10 burpees
1 set of 300 meter run followed by 12 burpees**Nothing special, but damn it I was able to do something

*I timed the first 3 sets but since my time was pathetic I will keep it to myself.

**I actually am pretty sure I did 15 burpees after the final run, but by the time I got back home I forgot so I stuck with the 12 I know I did for sure.

I was huffing and puffing and sweating like a madman after the final set (although 65% dew point did not help). This is the type of conditioning training LEOs should be adding into their mix, and since I once was one (a bandit chasing, bandit fighting LEO), I think I know of what I speak. All the commercial gym weight machines, and jogging (until knee surgery 6 years ago) workouts I did over all those years was not preparing me for my job, as well as these anaerobic intensive workouts as part of the mix would have.

Gabriel Suarez
07-04-2007, 10:35 AM
July 4

Training with guns - mandatory on this day to train with a military weapon
Push Press 5x4-10
Pullups 5x12
Squats 5x high reps/high speed (whew!)
Deadlifts 5x5
Hanging Leg Raises

Kobra
07-04-2007, 11:26 AM
July 4th:
- Decided to try and give Dino's couplet # 3 (as done by Kobra) from the other day a try. Just couplet # 3. All I could manage was:
3 sets of 400 meter runs followed by 15 burpees*
1 set of 300 meter run, followed by 10 burpees
1 set of 300 meter run followed by 12 burpees**Nothing special, but damn it I was able to do something

*I timed the first 3 sets but since my time was pathetic I will keep it to myself.

**I actually am pretty sure I did 15 burpees after the final run, but by the time I got back home I forgot so I stuck with the 12 I know I did for sure.

I was huffing and puffing and sweating like a madman after the final set (although 65% dew point did not help). This is the type of conditioning training LEOs should be adding into their mix, and since I once was one (a bandit chasing, bandit fighting LEO), I think I know of what I speak. All the commercial gym weight machines, and jogging (until knee surgery 6 years ago) workouts I did over all those years was not preparing me for my job, as well as these anaerobic intensive workouts as part of the mix would have.

Congrats on that, bro! I too often forget exactly how many reps I get through. I've gotten into the habit of writing them down right after I finish a group. However, this doesn't always prove itself easy as I often find myself trying not to die at that moment.

When Dino first starting issuing me workouts I was foolish enough to look at them on paper and think, "Ah, that's not too bad at all." I've since learned my lesson through sweat and blood.

michael
07-04-2007, 08:05 PM
7/4

3 rounds each of:

KB cleans
KB snatches
KB deadlifts
KB swings
V situps

Followed by a 10 minute stretch.

When doing the swings, I tried the method Dino talked about, exploding off the ground and up on my toes by a stronger thrust of the pelvis. It made a big difference, and I felt it much more in the legs.

Kobra
07-04-2007, 09:47 PM
30-30-30

3 Minute blocks on the heavy bag made up of this rotation:

30 seconds stick and move
30 seconds riding the bike
30 seconds knock out power
30 seconds rest

5 rounds

JohnH11B
07-05-2007, 04:54 AM
7-4
Felt good enough to take the pooch on a 2 1/2 mile walk after tons of stretching. Stretched already this morning.

Cold War Scout
07-05-2007, 09:27 AM
July 5th:
- "The Kettlebell 300." 100 2-handed swings (KB62), 50 clean and press (KB53) each, 50 snatches (KB53) each, 50 cleans (KB70) each, 50 get-up sit-ups (KB44).

While I did not time myself, I tried to be time conscious. My towel, t-shirt and Depends are all literally waterlogged drenched.

Kobra
07-05-2007, 11:30 AM
I'm gonna try the Depends. No more worrying about a Hershey squirts during Turkish Get-ups. No more embarrassment.

michael
07-05-2007, 01:30 PM
I'm gonna try the Depends. No more worrying about a Hershey squirts during Turkish Get-ups. No more embarrassment.

:eek: :eek: :D

Cold War Scout
07-05-2007, 03:00 PM
:eek: :eek: :D

Us real men ate lots of beans yesterday.

michael
07-05-2007, 04:29 PM
Us real men ate lots of beans yesterday.

I don't need beans with my new diet. I've got enough gas to fill up a tanker truck.:eek: :o

Kobra
07-05-2007, 06:45 PM
"Foot Pursuit"

400 Meter Sprint
*10 Turkish Get-ups per arm, and one arm at a time (only farted once!)
20 Explosive Pull-ups

4 rounds with no rest.

*At one point, the third round, I had to switch to alternating arms to keep going.

I'd like to add something. As my wife and I were leaving the parking lot I turned and said to her, "I've never worked out before." She responded, "You said that after 'Puddle of DNA.'" I said, "Yeah, but this was different." I then began to explain to her just what made today different.

During the fourth round of the workout I met someone. When I first caught a glimpse of him he was squatting in the shadows. I could barely make out his form, but I could feel him staring at me. He came out of the shadows with a bolt and got right up in my face. He was naked except for the hair that covered his body. His face seemed to be fixed in a permanent grimace. It became obvious that this creature fought every second for his existence. He was a survivor, a hunter, and a primal warrior. Then I realized that it was me who I was looking at! I'm beginning to understand.

That's what was different about this workout.

Gabriel Suarez
07-05-2007, 06:52 PM
07-05

Four miles over broken ground.
103 degrees,
6000 feet

Hoooahhh!!!

Kobra
07-05-2007, 07:15 PM
07-05

Four miles over broken ground.
103 degrees,
6000 feet

Hoooahhh!!!

Wow, over a hundred even in the high country.

Gabriel Suarez
07-05-2007, 07:22 PM
Yep....took me about 45 minutes to recover.

This time of year is hard up here. It only lasts for two weeks or so, but its hard to train. You either hydrate all day and go for it, or you "liberal-out" and stop training. So I drink like a fish all day, train hard as I can for a short time frame (less than 1 hour) and then jump into the pool.

We are awaiting the monsoons with baited breath. Maybe the lightning will take out a few visiting liberals.:)

rhino3-4
07-06-2007, 03:38 AM
This is perfect example of FIDO
stmf/STMF

Cold War Scout
07-06-2007, 07:15 AM
July 6th:
- 60 Extended Row Manmakers with 2x30 lb. dumbbells. No time to do anything else this morning. Gotta go see the Team Ruthless range!

Experimental add-on in afternoon, done with little pause:
- 1 set: 15 dumbbell thrusters (DB2x30), 400 meter run
- 4 sets: 10 DB thrusters (DB2x30), 200 meter run

Cold War Scout
07-06-2007, 01:06 PM
July 6th

Two-armed DB Swings
DB Thrusters
Elevated Push ups

20, 15, 10, 5

11 minutes

I was sitting next to Dino when he gave you that workout. :)

Kobra
07-06-2007, 01:11 PM
Yep....took me about 45 minutes to recover.

This time of year is hard up here. It only lasts for two weeks or so, but its hard to train. You either hydrate all day and go for it, or you "liberal-out" and stop training. So I drink like a fish all day, train hard as I can for a short time frame (less than 1 hour) and then jump into the pool.

We are awaiting the monsoons with baited breath. Maybe the lightning will take out a few visiting liberals.:)

Can't wait for monsoon to start. And we can only hope that Thor lays the hammer down on some panzy ass libs.

JohnH11B
07-06-2007, 01:27 PM
7-6-07

First day of the Dino back relief/strengthen workout. I feel like I failed miserably, but the back feels great!
One step at a time.

Kobra
07-06-2007, 03:46 PM
7-6-07

First day of the Dino back relief/strengthen workout. I feel like I failed miserably, but the back feels great!
One step at a time.

There is no failure, brother, only opportunities for getting stronger, faster, and more lethal. You are in the fight and winning! Keep it up!

Your brother in pain, Kobra

unstpabl1
07-06-2007, 03:56 PM
7-6-07

One step at a time.

Er.. sounds like you suceeded It was called the "Back Relief"/ strengthen W/o.

As adults we think failure is bad or something, problem is we only learn by failure. Its nature, we have to keep doing it wrong till we figure out how to do it right. Your gonna fail everyday with this, but everyday you'll improve. The only real true failure is to not show up the next day. Good luck John

Wolfe
07-06-2007, 04:18 PM
Dino has been helping me. Here is what I've done lately:

Evaluation Workout

Maximum Number Possible in 1 Minute Of:

Performed on 7-3-2007 , 7-04-2007

Pull Ups 7

Push Ups 37

Smith Rows 15

Bench Press- 225 pounds 8 reps

Squats Bodyweight-250 pounds 25 reps

Deadlift- 1.5x Bodyweight -375 pounds- Did 345lbs 10 reps

10 standing Broad Jumps record total distance 70'4"

Workout 2 7-6-2007 Dino is a bad man

Couplet 1 repeat 5 times with 1 minute rest

Power clean and 5 push presses- repeat entire sequence 5 times for 1 set
{Did entire couplet with 95lbs. Did prescribed 1 Power Clean followed by 5 Push Presses repeate4d 5 times for the first 4 sets. On the fifth set, my shoulders were trashed and I did 20 Clean and Push Press for that last set}

Core Busters with Kettlebell 10 reps { Did these with 16kg kettlebell , 10 reps for 5 sets. Each set done right after a set of the above without rest}

Couplet 1 took me 21 minutes

Couplet 2 repeat 5 times with 1 minute rest

5 Front Squats 5 reps {95lbs in front shoulder rack position}
10 Broad Jumps { as RX}

Couplet 2 took me 13 minutes

Couplet 3 repeat 5 times {Rx- I did only 4 repeats- Died on the fifth}

400 yard dash {4th repeat was a lot of walking}
15 Burpees {Rx- I did 7?, 15, 11,15}

Couplet 3 took me 23 minutes

The entire workout took about 70 minutes counting the time between couplets gasping for air.

Actually, Dino is the Man...........

JohnH11B
07-06-2007, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the encouragement:) Boy do my thighs hurt! Back feels great though!

unstpabl1
07-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the encouragement:) Boy do my thighs hurt! Back feels great though!

Feels strange today, no where to run to...kinda nice but I'm bored

John, your thighs will get better, but they will get sorer first. the peak about 48 hours. you'll definitely know you have thighes for the 1st week or 2. The next day workout will loosen them up a bit. Not w/o is a huge mistake. You need to get the blood flowing.

Ice is a great friend. The sooner the better. Contrast showers.

By the end of week 2 they'll be use to working and you'll notice a greater range of motion. Just keep going forward.

JohnH11B
07-07-2007, 07:51 AM
Thanks guys. Stopped raining so I can loosen up those thighs by pushing the lawn mower around all day:dope:

Cold War Scout
07-07-2007, 11:06 AM
July 7th:
- Barbell/dumbbell/ankle weights mix: 23 different exercises. 27 total sets.

Stayed with lighter weight than usual. Upped the reps some, but mainly wanted to take it sort of easy today.

michael
07-07-2007, 11:36 AM
7/7/07

4 rounds of:
Bench press
V situps
Pull-ups

Followed by 3 rounds of:
BB curls
BW dips

Followed by:
Tabata squats
and a 10 minute stretch

I'm about back to my previous strength levels at a much lighter bodyweight.

Cold War Scout
07-07-2007, 01:33 PM
I'm about back to my previous strength levels at a much lighter bodyweight.

I hope you ain't gonna be lettin' bandits throw you through a plate glass window.....

Wolfe
07-07-2007, 02:28 PM
7/7/07

Six 3 minute rounds on the Heavy Bag. 60 sec. rest.

Rounds broken down into 30 sec. intervals of:

Hit & Move
Ride the Bike
Power Hits

michael
07-07-2007, 02:38 PM
I hope you ain't gonna be lettin' bandits throw you through a plate glass window.....

Not if I can help it.:eek: I think I've settled at around 180.

peregrine
07-07-2007, 06:06 PM
Like Kobra and Wolfe i am doing Dinos wod.
They test ones mettle but leave you feeling exhilirated at the end. Kind of like a good night with a hot and sexy lady. :D
Interesting side note would be all my shirts are getting tight in the neck and traps again. lol.

Today, did some muay thai with Dz and friends, we took it slow and will begin to Ramp up soon again. Everyone else in my group is doing kb(1pood) so i am glad i am with Dino doing his stuff. KB are great, but this program is going to turn me into a new Monster. I can't wait to turn it on in sparring and my next fight with the new s&p program. I'm gonna be like a mini Mack truck with Turbo that can turn on a Dime.

It's interesting being the smallest guy in the group.

peregrine
07-07-2007, 06:09 PM

That's my all time favorite move. Grab the guy and run his head into something like a window or pillar. It's great on my fist. I think it was the Steven Seagal movies.

Cold War Scout
07-07-2007, 06:21 PM
That's my all time favorite move. Grab the guy and run his head into something like a window or pillar. It's great on my fist. I think it was the Steven Seagal movies.

I once had a bandit at an airport essentially tell me "I know you can't put them cuffs on me here so you best not piss me off." To which I responded "mot*%r fu*#!^&r go ahead and break bad 'cause I am dying to throw your punk a$$ through this plate glass window onto the tarmac below. I don't like flying anyway so that will get me out of this trip."

Gabriel Suarez
07-07-2007, 06:27 PM
7-7-7

2 mile sprint puke speeds
99 degrees

Cold War Scout
07-08-2007, 09:42 AM
July 8th

100M DB O/H, 100M DB Hi/Lo, 100M Hi/Lo Switch Hands, 100M DB Rack, 100M Farmer's Carry, 100M DB See-Saw

25 DB Thrusters in between each of the above.

Those are some pretty intense workouts you are doing. Are your knuckles dragging on the ground yet? :)

Cold War Scout
07-08-2007, 10:40 AM
July 8th:
Burpee/dumbbell thruster/kettlebell swing supersets: 11 sets of burpee/dumbbell thruster/kettlebell swing supersets:
- 5 sets with 2x40 lb. dumbbells and 44 lb. kettlebell.
- 4 sets with 2x40 lb. dumbbells and 53 lb. kettlebell.
- 1 set with 2x55 lb. dumbbells and 53 lb. kettlebell.
- 1 set with 2x55 lb. dumbbells and 62 lb. kettlebell.

I hope to get better at this....

Day 105....

Southern Gunman
07-08-2007, 11:36 AM
2 miles in the rain. Not sure I can legally call it running due to the speed, or lack there of. I blame the hangover:)

Cold War Scout
07-08-2007, 11:39 AM
2 miles in the rain. Not sure I can legally call it running due to the speed, or lack there of. I blame the hangover:)

Working out in less than stellar conditions, is a true warrior workout.

Wolfe
07-08-2007, 03:00 PM
Did workout 3 ,"Foot Pursuit"earlier this afternoon. It was 95 degree plus here with high humidity and I suffered.

Here is what I did:

4 Repeats, all back to back with no rest periods.

400 yd Runs - I ran as fast as I could, but would not call them sprints. The second through fourth repeats included short boughts of walking. I ran about 750 yds on the fourth repeat because I felt bad about my pace and the walking.

TGU's - I used the 16kg kettlebell. I did 10each side first round and then 5 each side each round thereafter. These were harder than I expected. I have only done them once or twice before since getting the 16kg kettlebell.

Pull Ups- 20, 20, 20, 20 I started out doing 3 reps regular each repeat and degraded to jumping thereafter. I tried to hold and the tops and control the descent and get a good stretch at the bottom.

This was a good workout. I'm sure the heat took some of the starch out off my britches. The movements were a good finish for the movements we did in the earlier workouts. I tried to keep the pace urgent and finished drenched with sweat (including the Depends).

Kobra
07-08-2007, 06:10 PM
The MinoTaur

Triplet #001

5 Sets

5 x Power Snatch from Floor, Full Squat Snatch from Hang, & Full Squat Snatch from Floor

10 x Box Jumps on 24 Box

15 X Floor Presses

Triplet #002

5 Sets

5 x Handstand Push-ups

10 x Dumbbell Renegade Rows

15 x Hanging Knees to Elbows

Kobra
07-08-2007, 06:15 PM
The above workout really revealed just how inflexible I am in the hips and shoulders. The snatches really magnify this for me. I can go deep with front and backsquats, but when my shoulders have to shoot straight up while my hips are involved I find it extremely difficult to get down as deep as I should. Stretching advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cold War Scout
07-09-2007, 11:02 AM
July 9th:
- Weight vest routine using a combination of 34 pound weight vest, 2x10 lb. ankle weights, 2x10 lb. Heavy Hands for weighted resistance. 33 exercises total.

Day 106.

Cold War Scout
07-09-2007, 01:17 PM
July 9th

100 Pull-ups
100 Sit-ups
100 Squats
100 Burpees
2.0 miles on the Goat(20 min., 27 sec.)

59 minutes total

The 100 burpees would have taken me the 59 minutes.....

unstpabl1
07-09-2007, 01:38 PM
The above workout really revealed just how inflexible I am in the hips and shoulders. The snatches really magnify this for me. I can go deep with front and backsquats, but when my shoulders have to shoot straight up while my hips are involved I find it extremely difficult to get down as deep as I should. Stretching advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kobra, Dino has stuff for you in the stretching dept more than likely. My expirience was however that just doing the workouts extended the range of motion. Correct mechanics helped a lot. In my case my first week squat type movement started about 2 inches deep in 2 weeks my ass was hitting my heals as i got stronger everything followed suit. Hope that helps
I guess I'm saying trust the training
mike

michael
07-09-2007, 03:52 PM
7/9

3 rounds of:
KB cleans
KB presses
V situps
KB deadlifts
DB presses
Lateral DB raises
Cable triceps pressdowns

Kobra
07-09-2007, 04:12 PM
The Journey
Do as Many Rounds as you can
1st Minute - 2 Arm Dumbbell Swings - 50Lbs
2nd Minute - Heavy Bag with just Hands - all punches Knock-outs
3rd Minute - Burpees
4th Minute - Heavy Bag using Knees & Elbows - all strikes Knock-outs
5th Minute - Dumbbell Thrusters - 45Lbs
6th & 7th Minute - Ground Fighting
Rest 1 Minute and Repeat

The male partner I was hoping to work out with had a client so my wife stepped up and we took turns attacking one another with my rubber knife for two minutes at a time. We did three rounds. After yesterday the dumbell thrusters today really chewed me up. I am seeing definite improvement in my overall conditioning.

Kobra
07-09-2007, 04:17 PM
I should also note that I am now the proud owner of a 450 lb. tractor tire. It is sitting right in my backyard. I'm so proud!!! :D See the sumo tire flip with plyo jumps here at the beginning of this vid.

http://joshsgarage.typepad.com/articles/2006/11/frank_miller_mo.html

Cold War Scout
07-09-2007, 04:18 PM
I should also note that I am now the proud owner of a 450 lb. tractor tire. It is sitting right in my backyard. I'm so proud!!! :D

Dino has made a psycho of you. Rescue yourself while you can!

atrox_vis
07-09-2007, 04:39 PM
I should also note that I am now the proud owner of a 450 lb. tractor tire. It is sitting right in my backyard. I'm so proud!!! :D See the sumo tire flip with plyo jumps here at the beginning of this vid.

http://joshsgarage.typepad.com/articles/2006/11/frank_miller_mo.html

Now that I know you have a tire.........

Kobra
07-09-2007, 05:50 PM
Now that I know you have a tire.........
Also note that the average temp is 110 degrees during the day. :D

Gabriel Suarez
07-09-2007, 06:35 PM
7-8

30 minutes of pistol drills incorporating some fancy footwork courtesy of Tom Sotis

Push Press 5x10-3 Reasonably heavy
Pullups 5x12
Squats 5x10 for speed
Deadlifts 5x5
Hanging Leg raises 5x25

7-9

Today I find myself sadly in the People's Republik Of Kalifornya. Long drive while listening to The Battle For Jerusalem by Dole.

45 minute run through the streets

Cold War Scout
07-10-2007, 12:43 PM
July 10th:
- A triplet each of 15 different Clubbells exercises. Mostly Circular Strength stuff. 45 total sets. I have almost no grip strength left....

Cold War Scout
07-10-2007, 02:05 PM
July 10th

Sets of 5 Manmakers, 10 Burpees and 15 Sit-ups for 25 minutes.

Completed 7 sets, plus 3 additional Manmakers in the allotted time.

Dino called this one" Your Day Just Went To S**T!"

Not that bad!:D

I probably could even have done that one!

Cold War Scout
07-11-2007, 04:01 AM
The MinoTaur

Triplet #001
5 Sets
5 x Power Snatch from Floor, Full Squat Snatch from Hang, & Full Squat Snatch from Floor
10 x Box Jumps on 24 Box

15 X Floor Presses

Triplet #002
5 Sets
5 x Handstand Push-ups
10 x Dumbbell Renegade Rows
15 x Hanging Knees to Elbows

I wonder who came up with that name......

Jack Rumbaugh
07-11-2007, 05:23 AM
Last night KB only

5 sets of 10 reps of:

2 arm swings
DARC Swings
KB snatch one arm
Swing,Flip,Catch
1 armed Thrusters

Made it all the way through pretty well until the thrusters. After the 2nd set I was done. I think the filp catches kicked my ass bigtime. Time was appx 45 minutes as I had to take a call in the middle. I had to explain to the woman I was in the middle of a workout and not breathing heavy because of her:D

Cold War Scout
07-11-2007, 09:44 AM
July 11th:
- Weight vest aerobic: 3.0 mile spirited walk with 40 lb. weight vest. Climbed 1X up and down neighborhood hill backwards. This will probably be it for the day. I just feel the need to do nothing else.

EDIT: Did a 32 minute stretch DVD in late afternoon. Felt it would help make the day more restful and relaxing.

peregrine
07-11-2007, 12:18 PM
I'm mirroring Kobra.
Yesterday was the two triplets for 5 rds. The snatch is a complex skill. I will warm up with it daily to get the form down using a bar and broom.
I start feeling it in rds 3.
Kobra nice log.

Today was the 7min rd for 3rds. I used a stick instead of grappling for min 6and7. Rds 1 was right, rds 2 was left and finished rds 3 right. Uh don't read this Crafty. lol.

I'm feeling more conditioned anaerobically as well as aerobically. Friday i.'ll get some sparring so i'll gauge my new power and gas then.

Cold War Scout
07-12-2007, 10:22 AM
July 12th:
- Kettlebells. 29 different exercises. 34 total sets.

Off to see the Silver Surfer, if I make it in time. Retirement is tough....

atrox_vis
07-12-2007, 10:26 AM
Try this one, see how many Man Makers with 30 pound dumbbells you can do in 25 minutes. My best guy so far did 80.

michael
07-12-2007, 03:20 PM
7/12

4 rounds of:

DB incline presses
Bent over BB rows
KB snatches

Followed by tabata squats and a 15 minute stretch.

Kobra
07-12-2007, 06:32 PM
I've named this workout "The Phoenix" because in a small sense it rings true for me. Yesterday I had to take an extra rest due to some joint stiffness and pain in the left knee. It wasn't a consistent pain, but was only noticeable to me in deep squats. Yet, I felt that I should let it go for a day more and today I felt great. No stiffness and no pain in that knee to plague me and cause me to half-ass the workout. Thus, today was for me a "rise from the ashes" of an extra days rest.

The name is also significant to me because in a sense I have risen from the ashes not once but twice. You see, six years ago when I started working out I was a skinny 6'4". I weighed somewhere between 175 and 180 lbs. Today, six years later, I weigh 227 lbs. with a body fat percentage of 10.5%. I'm not blowing my own horn here, and I can't, because during those 6 years it could be easily argued that I didn't do any cardio. Sure, I'd do twenty minutes on a treadmill, but nothing like I'm doing now. Dino is taking me to ashes again. It is time to be destroyed and rebuilt yet again. And from what I've experienced firsthand so far, there is no better man to accomplish this task with me than Dino.

The Phoenix (5 Rounds):
5 Zercher Squats
10 Dumbell Thrusters
15 Pull-ups

I got through this part of the workout in under 40 minutes, but the next portion of the workout was my undoing.

50 Man-makers

This took me, to my shame, 40 more minutes to accomplish. To be honest I'm disappointed in myself. I'm going to use that to drive me through my next workout. I'm my biggest f**kin' enemy.

zen4
07-12-2007, 09:00 PM
First kettlebell workout today.........lots to learn..........

unstpabl1
07-13-2007, 12:56 AM
Kobra, How many sets on that triplet:confused: Also why get upset with your performance, 98% of everyone you meet would even attempt what your doing

Wolfe
07-13-2007, 01:58 AM
7/11/07 More learning with Dino......

Triplet 1
5 repeats no rest between exercises- 1 minute between rounds

5 x Power Snatch from Floor, Power Snatch from Hang, & Power Snatch from floor ( These felt good. I really like the effect of this movement)

10 x Box Jumps on 24 Box ( I jumped onto a 20" porch ledge. I need to build a 24" box. Tried to jump high above the ledge as I could and land solidly in the center. )

15 X Floor Presses

Triplet 2
5 repeats
5 x Handstand Push-ups (Got into a handstand for the 1st set then did Pike HS pushups x5 for sets 2-3 then push ups with feet elevated for 4 &5. I'm going to keep practicing the handstands. Used my push up bars on these.)

10 x Dumbbell Renegade Rows ( I had problems with my round dumbells rolling and ended up using kettlebells for these. I'm going to pick up some octagonal db's)
15 x Hanging Knees to Elbows (15, 15, 15,15, 15 had to break some of the sets up into repeats for 5 reps. Tried to hold the hang and really stretch out at the end of each set. BTW I had steel toed work boots on for the whole workout)

These workouts need to be tried to be understood. For me, this workout held the hidden bonus of some great shoulder mobility and flexibity work during the snatches and hanging leg raises. During the workouts, you are sometimes suprised by what things are hard and what things make you feel strong. Dino is very smart in his program design and planning.

On 7-13-07 I'll start a stretch of five days straight of Dino's workouts. I need to get all of the workouts in before going out of town for a few days when I'll only have access to my kettlebells and BW training. Should be interesting.

peregrine
07-13-2007, 02:07 AM
I did the
5 zerchers
10 thruters
15 pull ups

I was shot on the last set of pull ups. I ended up doing the last handful assisted.

Then 50 manmakers.
I was happy I made it. I need to double check the form on manmakers cause my time seemed too good.
First time doing zercher squats, I like the feel it feels like I got a nice bodylock for a suplex. Real nice lift.

I can't wait till next week. I need to up my protein to take advantage of the shock my body is in.

Kobra
07-13-2007, 09:19 AM
Kobra, How many sets on that triplet:confused: Also why get upset with your performance, 98% of everyone you meet would even attempt what your doing

Edited to reflect 5 rounds. I'm disappointed in myself because I don't feel like I pushed myself hard enough. I suppose that in one sense that what these do to you mentally. Always do better!

Jack Rumbaugh
07-13-2007, 09:48 AM
I did my off day workout last night

3x30 of:

2 arm swings
1 arm alt swings
Swing, Flip, Catch.

This was harder than the other workout because of the sustained work needed for 30 reps. And I nearly knocked myself out with the handle of the KB on a flip. That sort of took the wind right out of my sails.

Southern Gunman
07-13-2007, 10:22 AM
Swing, flip, catch? H2H KB drill?

isis07734
07-13-2007, 11:08 AM
yesterday: 30 min side stroke

today: 4x 20 push ups, 4x 20 sit ups, 4x 4 pull ups, 25min run.

Cold War Scout
07-13-2007, 11:18 AM
yesterday: 30 min side stroke

today: 4x 20 push ups, 4x 20 sit ups, 4x 4 pull ups, 25min run.

Welcome aboard! We try to motivate each other here, so we are counting on you to join in!!!

Cold War Scout
07-13-2007, 11:19 AM
July 13th:
Exercise contraptions and sports specific equipment. Did triplets of 15 different exercises. Total of 45 sets.

JohnH11B
07-13-2007, 07:50 PM
7-13-07
Now that I can actually walk not like Fred Sanford, I got back to the gym. 100 body weight squats like Dino showed me, 100 pushups, 20 curls and 20 lateral pulldowns. Then to sweat off some tire, mowed the yard front and back, 95 degrees, 88% humidity and no breeze:D

Cold War Scout
07-14-2007, 09:45 AM
July 14th:
Dumbbell thruster/"Manmaker" supersets (experimental):
- 8 supersets with 2x30 lb. dumbbells.
- 5 supersets with 2x40 lb. dumbbells.
- 2 supersets with 2x55 lb. dumbbells.

Total of 15 supersets.

Since my numbers were pathetic, I will keep them to myself. But this combo was not especially easy. Almost every set, which I admit I took it easy doing these because I did not want my heart to explode, still left me sucking wind.

The more I do these Dino inspired anaerobic workouts, the more I am convinced these are the way to go, especially if you are in law enforcement, civilian contractor, security, the military, and knife and stick fighting where you better have plenty of 0-60 in you, coupled with some stamina, when crunch time hits.

michael
07-14-2007, 12:17 PM
7/14

BW workout

5 rounds of:

Push-ups
V situps
Squats

Cold War Scout
07-14-2007, 02:21 PM
July 14th

No more days off...decided I will do better with a light workout instead.

50 Pullups
50 Front Press
50 Situps
50 Squats
50 Plain Old Curls

2 miles on the Goat

ummm...news flash. That ain't a "light" workout.

drake495
07-14-2007, 02:42 PM
Thought I would get back in the hang of working out since I'm currently between jobs right now.

Did a light workout thursday to kind of get back in the hang of things.

Today july 14th:
3 sets of chest press
3 sets of shoulder press
4 sets of bicep curls
4 sets of tricep exercise ( sitting up and dipping the weight behind my head, what is that called?)
some bench press on the weight machine
25 pushups
30 situps on exercise ball
1 mile on the treadmill.

What are some good exercises I could do for lower body workout. I have always hated doing legs, but I know this hinders my upper body growth. I have a limited gym at my apartment complex. It has one big machine that has various things which most of work, and a decent set of free weights and a couple seated benches. I prefer to stick with the free weights.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Cold War Scout
07-14-2007, 03:46 PM
What are some good exercises I could do for lower body workout. I have always hated doing legs, but I know this hinders my upper body growth. I have a limited gym at my apartment complex. It has one big machine that has various things which most of work, and a decent set of free weights and a couple seated benches. I prefer to stick with the free weights.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Squats? Is there enough barbell or dumbbells weight to do squats? It is said that "squats are king."

Lunges are also another good legs exercise.

If you can do either, or both, such that you rise up on your toes also, you can then add the calves in as a bonus. If not then do calf raises as a supplement.

Finally, dumbbell thrusters. Thrusters are a very good anaerobic exercise. Since they are a full body exercise, you will be getting some good legs action included with the exercise.

drake495
07-14-2007, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the input. I will give those a shot on Monday. I can barely lift my arms at the moment.

Cold War Scout
07-14-2007, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the input. I will give those a shot on Monday. I can barely lift my arms at the moment.

There are a number of guys on the forum working out at home/in their commerical gyms/in their community clubhouses under Dino's guidance, who are getting better results than many guys working out at gyms, IMHO. He is atrox_vis on this forum. He might be able to give you some ideas.

P.S. I remember your post about Missouri State some time back....:)