PDA

View Full Version : Ministering to other shooters

Pale Horse
04-30-2004, 10:32 AM
A friend, who is a pastor, and I were talking last year and I asked him if I could join the High School ministry as a leader. Well the ministry was in shambles and needed some serious work and with my having not been in that position before he said not now. He then asked me what I like doing and so I told him a few things which included shooting. We got on the subject of the people in the shooting arena who dont know the Lord and what an opertunity it would be for me to minister to those men. He told me this "Keelan, you have already formed relationships with these men, you know the termonoligy, you know the weapons, and most of all you Know the Lord. Why dont you serve these men while doing what you love doing." I dont yet know excatly how to do it, but I am willing to give it a try.

I want to know how I can minister to other shooter who are not Chirstians. Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

Michael w/1911
04-30-2004, 01:37 PM
How about asking to post something at the local ranges. I have run across several people that are interested in hearing the word of God, but for one reason or another are afraid of churches. I'm also finding out that several people in our church shoot firearms. I've even heard the pastor has a CCW, but getting these people to talk about firearms must be some form of sin. It is almost impossible asking about such groups if no one hears you. You might really be on to something valuable and important.

Michael

Gecko
04-30-2004, 02:51 PM
Wow have you ever picked a difficult, but meaningful task for yourself. One thing that almost immediately comes to mind, if you can work out the logistics, liabilities,etc , is to conduct some early Sunday morning services at a range followed by a fun shoot ( Shoot for God or Protecting Yourself Both Temporally and Spiritually as a motto could get some attention, as well as criticism I would imagine). Offering some sort of simple breakfast (coffee, rolls, etc) could be an attraction.

Pale Horse
04-30-2004, 04:46 PM
Sundays my local indoor range has a idpa or ipsc shoot so setting that up would be a little difficult on sundays. Also the Owner does not particularly like "religious" anything. She knows I am a believer or at least that I talk about it a good bit, but she doesnt seem to mind me talking to the employees about the Lord when business is slow.

Gecko you are right about Believers not wanting to talk about it like it is some kind of sin. Everyone who knows me knows that I love shooting. I have shot with some of our pastors and the regular joes too. But as you said its tough to get people to talk about it. I will see if the owner would be willing to let me do this kind of shoot. If it gets off the ground I shall call it BAM; Ballistic Arts Ministry.

Thank you for the feedback, can you guys think of anything else?

Keelan

Gecko
05-01-2004, 04:29 AM
Sundays my local indoor range has a idpa or ipsc shoot so setting that up would be a little difficult on sundays. Also the Owner does not particularly like "religious" anything. She knows I am a believer or at least that I talk about it a good bit, but she doesnt seem to mind me talking to the employees about the Lord when business is slow.

Gecko you are right about Believers not wanting to talk about it like it is some kind of sin. Everyone who knows me knows that I love shooting. I have shot with some of our pastors and the regular joes too. But as you said its tough to get people to talk about it. I will see if the owner would be willing to let me do this kind of shoot. If it gets off the ground I shall call it BAM; Ballistic Arts Ministry.

Keelan

Not knowing were you live I made the assumption that you could use public lands. Where I'm at there is about 2M acres available for shooting. I just had envisioned you standing in front of a group at sunrise conducting some sort of service. Then breakfast, cooked in the open followed by a shoot. Too bad.

imb
05-02-2004, 01:25 PM
I've been thinking along similar lines.

Thinking about using a t-shirt as a conversation piece - a target with holes roughly in the shape of a cross and Psalm 144 written below it. When one of your shooting buddies asks what your "Holy" target is about you give him the first verse and go from there.

"Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle".

How's that sound?

Dale Fricke
05-04-2004, 12:02 AM
Pale Horse
I have been thinking and praying on this for some time as ministry at my church; I may offer free CCW class and invite the public. I use the bible a lot in law and tactics lecture it always opens the door for more questions and ministry on the breaks. We have done shooting classes in Mexico and present the gospel and many have been saved. I do not speak for Gabe, but maybe host a class and we could do something like we have done in Mexico on a weekend at the range sponsored by your church.
E-mail me if you need more info dfricke@calvaryprescott
Pray and be faithful God always honors faithfulness!
Romans 8:31 :D
DEF
out

michael
05-04-2004, 07:36 AM
Dale,

That's awesome!! What a great idea. It's great to see how you are combining shooting and the gospel into one. Thank you for your ministry and what you do.

Pale Horse
05-04-2004, 09:13 AM
Dale thats what I am looking to do, I dont have a cource idea yet. Could you let me know what you have done in the past that has worked and things that have not? I have never taken a class, however, I plan on taking Gabe's CRG class on my Birthday. Shooting has been one thing in my life that I have always enjoyed and people know it. Several times I have taken people out to shoot and they have shot well and had a great time.

I am open for suggestions if anyone has them.

Cisco Kid
05-08-2004, 05:56 PM

Keelan

"He who denies Me to others; will I deny to the Father in Heaven" usually takes care of those who are afraid of talking about it.

HTH :)

lobo_in_wv
11-10-2004, 09:24 PM
In case you didn't know, I'm new here and not familiar with anyone... I was considering the same idea, and was wondering how this idea turned out.

http://www.geocities.com/eds_thoughts/missingmark.html