PDA

View Full Version : Speer 9mm Reclassified Available

Gecko
04-29-2004, 06:45 AM
For those of you who like this stuff, and you should www.ammoman.com has the Speer reclassified 9mm 124 gr GDHP +P for sale. As you may know this stuff does not stay on the shelf very long.

michael
04-29-2004, 07:15 AM
Gecko,

What does it mean "reclassified"? Is this the older version without the bonded core--that's what it looks like from the photos on the site.

Al Lipscomb
04-29-2004, 07:28 AM
The reclassified ammo came from a run that was produced for a large LEO contract. A foil primer seal that was required by the specs was ommited from the production.

From a safety point of view I understand the ammo is fine. Without the seal the ammo would be expected to fail under some carry conditions.

The ammo is perfect for range time and if you carry the Speer Gold Dot in the 124 grain +P loading makes a good training round. I purchased 1,000 rounds from this source and it shoots fine.

Gecko
04-29-2004, 07:48 AM
The reclassified ammo came from a run that was produced for a large LEO contract. A foil primer seal that was required by the specs was ommited from the production.

From a safety point of view I understand the ammo is fine. Without the seal the ammo would be expected to fail under some carry conditions.

The ammo is perfect for range time and if you carry the Speer Gold Dot in the 124 grain +P loading makes a good training round. I purchased 1,000 rounds from this source and it shoots fine.

As arl said. About 8-10 months ago, or so, when this stuff first became available they were predicting a failure rate of 1/100,000 or some such ratio.

I've shot at least 2k of the stuff with no problems and have another 1k on hand. Personally, I would not be afraid to carry the stuff, but I don't. I do carry the same ammo in my PM9 only not the reclassified.

I've often wondered if the regular, non-contract stuff that you can buy off the shelf, even has the foil seal? Or was it something special specified in this particular LEO contract?

michael
04-29-2004, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the info. It's a good price, so I may get some for training.