PDA

View Full Version : What do you look at?

Speed is Life
04-28-2004, 11:34 AM
cfgb

Erich
04-28-2004, 12:14 PM
Hands, of course, and eyes.

I try to make eye contact with everyone that's walking my way.

It's funny how acknowledgement (eye contact, a slight nod, a "Howdy?" or "'T'sup?") can often calm things down before they get started. Part of it might just be the whole "the predator knows the potential prey is aware and is therefore not the best prey," but part of it (I really think) is that when you acknowledge another human respectfully, you establish some small relationship, and tend to get treated better.

Al Lipscomb
04-28-2004, 12:17 PM
Hands are important if they are not in view. So is the head, mid-section and feet. If the hands are not in view worry about them first.

Brief eye contact can help set the stage to communicate that you know the other person is there. Avoid a stare as that may be seen as confrontational. A "nod" is the current social form of the bow, the acknowledgement of the others status.

From there, I would say that you need to avoid getting locked into any one thing. If you need to counter, lock onto your target, do what you need to do, then start scanning.

michael
04-28-2004, 12:32 PM
Look at the hands to make sure nothing is concealed. If the hands are in the open, I like to watch the chest/shoulder area as that will often give away movement before the hands. I do this only if the hands are clearly empty. Be careful of watching the eyes--a skilled fighter will easily fake you out with eye movement.

Escape
04-28-2004, 02:37 PM
For me the idea of "possible confrontation" causes me the most confusion.
Passing a loudmouth beligerent guy in a bar or on the street... I don't stare at his eyes or chest. It may just invite remarks or hostility to come my way. But I would remain very AWARE of him. I would acertain all I could of him as the gap closed.. looking at hands, demeanor, etc. I would keep him consciously in my peripheral vision in passing.
If someone were directing threats or hostility to me. I would give him the "bodyscan"=) I would be looking for all things, hands his eyes, his speed, his height etc.. surveying the battlefield in a way.
Whether hand to hand.. or shooting... I tend to focus center mass. A persons eyes don't tell me much. But his movement does.

Grey Wolf
04-30-2004, 02:30 AM
As a training officer I had in FTO phase always said ... "Depends."

Like said there are times when eye contact may lead to further confrontation. Other times it can defuse a bad situation before it gets bad.

During an Airsoft training class w/ KR Training I was roled as an off duty LEO( common role for me :) ). We did not know what other peoples roles were in the scenario. I paid for my gas and drink and watched another guy walk in. In training that signal went off saying hey this guys up to no good.

I made eye contact with him and said "hey whats up? That your car out there?" He replied, attempting to ignore me and I said "Thats a nice ride man. Have a good day." I could visible see how this threw the guy off his role... in training. I truly believe in real life it would have scared the guy away from his bad actions to follow... knowing someone was watching him.

It is known that someone's eyes will never hurt you. Hands, feet etc. will facilitate the attack. Watch these more, but in some situations eye contact and acknowledgment of the person may go a long way in deterrence.

When should you do what? I don't think any book or training class can teach you. Street knowledge and experience will set that internal "Oh Shit-O-Meter" off.

HTH
Stay safe
Grey Wolf

B0486
05-01-2004, 04:25 AM
Hands and where the exits routes may be in relation to my own position.

Brownie