PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Rem 870 Stock

Contrail
01-28-2007, 06:56 PM
I have a Rem 870 with a top-folding stock that is worthless for anything but slightly more compact storage. It was already installed when I received the shotgun, so I don't have a "standard" stock to put back on it. I have been looking at various stocks from the standard Remington synthetic stock to the Speedfeeds, etc. Any suggestions are welcome!

Hasher
01-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Any youth stock will do you fine.The shorter length makes it more manuverable.

blastjv
01-29-2007, 04:02 AM
Well, that depends on your size. I thought I'd like a shorter stock for maneuverability, but even taking the recoil pad off a standard stock makes a 870 just barely too short for me.

I was really looking hard at the Hogue Overmolded stock, and that is what I had planned to buy, but I'm just sticking with wood now.

The factory remington stock's seem cheap to me, yet overpriced. I would go with a Hogue or a Speedfeed.

-John

hiflyer51
01-29-2007, 07:47 AM
I thought the factory 870 stock was too long (14"lop). First I replaced it with a Houge 12"lop stock, and it was too short. I replaced that with a Speedfeed 13"lop pistol grip stock, and it is just right.

Crucible
01-29-2007, 09:21 AM
I've got a Knoxx SpecOps (:rolleyes: ) stock on my 870: adjustable LOP, and significant felt recoil reduction (45%-really). It's not exactly pleasing to the eye, but it works doggone well.

C-

hiflyer51
01-29-2007, 11:03 AM
I have shot a gun with the Knox stock on it. It greatly reduces recoil, and the adjustable LOP is nice to have. It is on the expensive side, but I think it be well worth it esp. for a smaller statured man or for most females. The Knox stock would also be nice on a home defense shotgun that might be shared with your wife/gf.

Doug in CO
01-29-2007, 11:06 AM
I'm about 5'8" and average sized. I just put a Speed Feed IV Youth Tactical on mine and it is perfect for me. It's a youth length pistol gripped stock without the screwy ammo storage feature.

Ragsbo
01-29-2007, 05:01 PM
Stock length depends upon the size of the individual and the length of his arms. I personally find the factory length stocks just right for me, but I am a normal size human being (6' 4" 245 lbs of teddy bear). Before you go cutting off a stock, try it out for size. There are ways to determine the proper length, which will help you hit what you are shooting at. I'd rather go for a shorter on the other end than the stock. If a stock is to short, I always end up jamming my thumb in my nose/eye (and I know you are not suppose to put the thumb over the stock but I do).
I have always wanted to try the stock that has a pistol grip that looks like an AR-15 one. Anyone tried one of those?

62-10
01-29-2007, 05:20 PM
+ (next number) on the Knoxx SpecOps. Worth every penny. I like it much better than the wire top-folder Knoxx CopStock.

Ihatehippies
01-30-2007, 02:36 AM
I also have the speedfeed IV on an 870. It's pretty short. It's solid, too. I like it.

Dan-O
01-30-2007, 06:54 PM
Been using the elcheapo colapsable from AAC on my mossberg.
It works and gives you options(LOP adjust)

Guantes
01-30-2007, 08:05 PM
I use a John Masen pistol grip stock on mine. It is somewhat unique in that it can be used as a pistol grip stock or the stock removed and just the pistol grip used. Although two pieces it is very solid when tightened up and is rubberized with a built in recoil pad so it reduces felt recoil.