PDA

View Full Version : Glucosamine & Chondroitin?

Mark V
01-23-2007, 09:46 AM
I've been experiencing some joint problems - I think due to running. Is it worth taking glucosamine and chondroitin as a supplement? Do they do any good and what concentration should they be taken in?

Agencyman
01-23-2007, 09:56 AM
HA, (hyaluronic acid), works for me. G&C was marginal at best.

I've read that G&C might be at its best when you add HA.

Worst case, your skin will look years younger!!!

Bruce

jaytee
01-23-2007, 10:40 AM
In my experience, taking the 1500mg Glucosamine with MSM 3x/day did not eliminate the joint pain (my knees) but did shorten the recovery. Which was better than nothing.

I've heard from others that the liquid works better but it seems everyone has different results.

Good luck.

Mark V
01-23-2007, 10:41 AM
I've been reading about links between HA and cancer? Any thoughts?

Agencyman
01-23-2007, 11:15 AM
I have heard so many contradictory things that I don't know what to believe about HA. I have always thought of it as one of the most benign things you can ingest. I take one or two 20mg. capsules a day, cause it helps my trashed elbow joint.

WebMD has nothing negative I could find. Some other informational sites, (apparently no doctors on staff), have stories of it being used as a binding agent to take anti-cancer drugs to the cancer cells, others say the remnants of broken-down HA is a problem in itself, aiding cancer spread.

Not enough mention of dose levels and oral v. injected delivery, etc.

All I know is I stay away from the evils of margarine, and have cut way down on my freedom fries since I learned that they can cause homicidal rage episodes, as well as cancer.

Bruce

Manwell
01-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Glucosamine and chondroitin have worked great for me. It takes time for there to be a noticeable effectÖ like 4 to 6 weeks. I supplement 2 to 3 times a day with 1500 and 1200 mg respectively. My primary problem joints were knees and elbows; I have slightly modified my workout to lessen the stress on these body parts. Everyone is different, but it did and does work well for me.

Manwell

Cold War Scout
01-23-2007, 12:09 PM
The doctor who did my knee surgery in 2001 told me that he does not usually recommend doing this and doing that, but he had seen enough information coming in regarding G and C that he thought there was probably something to it.

I take both. I can't say that I notice any difference one way or the other.

Steve7
01-23-2007, 12:44 PM
I have taken it for several years. I was a competitive weight lifter in my youth and that took a toll on certain joints. As a previous poster said it does not eliminate pain, but I can tell that it lessens pain and that I recover from workouts quicker.

Mark V
01-23-2007, 01:14 PM
Thanks gents. On balance, I decided to order some.

michael
01-23-2007, 04:01 PM
Give it a try, you have nothing to lose.

That said, it didn't work for me. I tried G & C for about 3 months, but did not notice much difference. I have had others I trust tell me that it worked well for them, so it is probably very body dependent.

Cold War Scout
01-23-2007, 04:05 PM
I would also consider doing a joint mobility program, like Warrior Wellness from Scott Sonnon.

Texican
01-23-2007, 07:24 PM
Squats, lunges, and dead-lifts, worked best for me. G & C seems to help, too. I could be because I think, or want to think, it helps. I don't know.

Roy

Ragsbo
01-23-2007, 07:54 PM
It works for me! and check out his study on it.

http://www.arthritis.org/resources/Newsroom/Campaigns/Get_the_Facts/Top_10_Advances_2006_Summaries.pdf

SUAREZ CORPORATE
01-23-2007, 08:06 PM
I have been taking G&C for over 5 years, after some major ortho injuries. My orthopaedist strongly suggested it. I think it has helped some of the less injured joints. Like others have said, G&C is benign, so it can't hurt to try it.

Chad
01-23-2007, 08:12 PM
1500mg Glucosamine with MSM

I have a buddy who swears by that stuff. I'm not sure what dose he takes.

Chad

Texican_gal
01-24-2007, 09:08 AM
Let's don't forget our canine friends. If your dog is having an arthritic condition and can't jump around like they used to, try giving them Missing Link (http://www.designinghealth.com/products/canine_products_main.html).

That nasty Rimadyl made my dog sick in 5 days, and we stopped it, and then she limped worse than ever ...

UNTIL the Missing Link (http://www.designinghealth.com/products/canine_products_main.html). It's a powder nutritional supplement; they also have one with extra stuff for joints. They also have it for people, cats, horses and birds.

Manwell
01-24-2007, 10:43 AM
Let's don't forget our canine friends. If your dog is having an arthritic condition and can't jump around like they used to, try giving them Missing Link (http://www.designinghealth.com/products/canine_products_main.html).
What?!?! Missing Link is for dogs??? No wonder why Iíve been howling at my wife lately.:p

Manwell

Texican_gal
01-24-2007, 10:52 AM
What?!?! Missing Link is for dogs??? No wonder why Iíve been howling at my wife lately.:p

Manwell

As long as she doesn't shoo you off the couch you're still a good boy :D

Wishbone
01-25-2007, 01:49 PM
I have a friend who recommended that I start taking G&C now because he viewed it more as a preventative measure for pain later in life rather than a cure for current pain.

Don't know if it works or not, but I figured what the heck.

I've also heard that it can raise cholesterol levels in certain people. So if that's something you are concerned about you might want to get bloodwork done before you start seriously taking it, then after 6 months of using go back and get it checked again to see if there is a significant change.

Waldo
01-26-2007, 03:41 PM
That old saying of we're all the same, but different, applies in describing whether or not (or to the degree of effectiveness) glucosamine/HA/chondriton works for us.

As Manwell states, we start to see effects after 4 to 6 weeks (some say 3 to 5 weeks). I've seen a few results in others in as little as 2 weeks. I believe statistically, it's 70% that will see some degree of effectiveness after 6 weeks of use.

As far as HA having a link with cancer..hard to say. There are plenty of prescription meds that have gained FDA approval as "safe and effective" after years of testing, only to find there are plenty of problems with them after being used by the general public for a bit.

With over the counter products, you may recall a product called tryptophan from the 80's, used for sleep. Worked well until people overdid it and started going to sleep permenantly.
They're looking at problems with meletonin right now, because they're unsure of the long term effects.

Also keep in mind that glucosamine, chondriton and HA are marketed in this country as "food supplements" meaning that there are no laws or guidelines for standardization from manufacturer to manfacturer or from lot to lot for that matter. One product may list 1200 mg and another list 800mg, and it will turn out that the 800 mg actually has more of the active ingrediant.

One last thought..make sure to take the glucosamine with food to minimize the stomach upset that comes with part of the deal.

unstpabl1
02-06-2007, 11:02 PM
FWIW. Awhile back in one of my failures of dietary regulation:D something happened that a top L.A. Arthritis doctor told couldn't happen. In eating clean I discovered that my nmuscular and joint pain disappeared. I didn't ache when getting outta bed in the A.M. This lasted for over 2 weeks, a few days after i started eating like crap again. In December, I did a similar diet with one exception and it didn't have the same effect. The difference was I didn't use MRP's. I'm trying to figure why, but assume the extra aminos made a huge difference. I love the convenience of mrp's. Wish i digested them better. But it and diet really helped with daily aches and pains