PDA

View Full Version : Coat pocket holster advise

billcameron
04-21-2004, 07:28 PM
I sometimes carry a Smith Jframe centennial in pants pocket in a Rosen pocket holster. I have not found a holster for coat pocket that I like. Do you have any suggestions for coat pocket holster or do you just carry without holster in this location? Also while I have a smith 640 I tend to carry my airweight smith 442-1 with 38 +P loads as heavier 640 tends to pull down on pocket too much. I noticed brownie liked 640 for pocket carry. So other question is do you have this problem of heavier gun pulling down coat pocket and if so have you found solution for this problem?

DaveJames
04-21-2004, 09:03 PM
bill, what about Rosen's pocket holster for the coat? I think Kramer and Alessi, offer ones for the coat,, I have found I had to go to larger holsters for the pocket, and I prefer ones that hold the pistol/revovler at an, angle so as the grip is alongside the palm as your hand slides in, In coats I find its realy important for me to have either velcro or some type of sticky substance,, to help hold the holster in and in the right place.

I also prefer coats with slanted hand pockets,i.e. Bombers, Farmers Chore Coats and such,, Field jackets are nice and warm but the pockets tend for me to be to flat and not deep enough

billcameron
04-22-2004, 02:29 PM
Dave,

I am thinking somewhat along same lines you mention. Its seems coat pockets vary a lot so there is no universal coat pocket fit. Have you or anyone experimented with using existing holster of some kind and modifying it for fit in a specific coat pocket? I was thinking of sewing holster to a piece of leather that was cut for specific coat pocket and using velcro or something to assure holster stayed in pocket during the draw.

DaveJames
04-22-2004, 06:39 PM
bill did just that years ago, I took an El Paso, Threepersons holstr for the Dick Spl, and had a shoe shop sew on a leather skirt to the back of the holster,,that I had cut to fit the coat,, years later as it began to sag a little, I had velcro sew into the coat pocket and the holster skirt

Gecko
04-29-2004, 05:32 AM
Dave,

I am thinking somewhat along same lines you mention. Its seems coat pockets vary a lot so there is no universal coat pocket fit. Have you or anyone experimented with using existing holster of some kind and modifying it for fit in a specific coat pocket? I was thinking of sewing holster to a piece of leather that was cut for specific coat pocket and using velcro or something to assure holster stayed in pocket during the draw.

Bill:

I carry my PM9 in a FIST #5 Ultra Thin Kydex Pocket Holster. However, as you pointed out coat pockets do greatly vary in size and depth. My experience has been the same as yours in coats. The FIST #5 Kydex is very thin and should not be difficult to punch some rivet or sewing holes through. If you look at them there is adequate places to do this with no problem. Like you I am contemplating getting another one and attaching a customized piece of leather to it. One may even be able to use snaps on this holster so that different cuts of leather for different coats could be used with the same holster. However, I do not know if they are available for the pistols you have.

I have found that even with the PM9 the coat pocket tends to sag some. My normal winter coat is a aviator style leather coat and it sags a little. In a lighter jacket or windbreaker the amount of sag would probably not be acceptable even with the PM9.