PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Gunfighting

karl johnson
04-18-2004, 12:36 PM
As it hadn't been covered here, and mine arrived today, I wanted to start a thread about this newest booklet. Mine was, frankly, badly beaten by the time it reached half way across the world, but it looks like I've been studying, so I'm alright with it.

First, I appreciate Gabe's acknowledgement that it was a basic primer for vehicle combative tactics. It is a very good example of exactly that. Everything in it has been covered in the CP/EP courses I've taken, but in Gabe's no-nonsense, concise yet complete style it was a truly useful reminder for me. I bought it specifically to prepare for an upcoming civilian CP course I will be doing, because I realized that my mindset had gotten pretty aggressive of late.

That is easy to do when you drive a 5 ton armored Suburban full of shooters. I believe I could move a cement truck off my front quarter with my diesel 'Burb, and I must get that sort of thinking out of my mind if I am going to be driving soft skins in a less permissive environment as I hope to when my contract ends here in June.

I had almost forgotten about car jackers in my vehicles. The bullet resistant windows don't roll down, and the doors are locked automatically as soon as the wheels are rolling. This will not always be the case.

Gabe has done here, I think, what he is best at: He has distilled the truth of the matter down to it's more or less obvious end. Obvious, of course, once someone has shown it to you. There is nothing new under the sun, but Gabe is good at showing which details you forgot. And you did forget, admit it! I sure did.

Also, the end paper with the picture of the Sheriff's car made me laugh as I have turned in a couple like that. Well, not that bad, but almost!

The Searcher
05-17-2004, 03:26 PM
Excellent book!

The book covers the basic skills of evasive driving such as how to corner, brake, the bootlegger turn, and even how to ram through a roadblock. It also covers what you need to do to make your car ready for such adventures and even what kinds of car to select and avoid.

There is a section on how to dectect a "tail" and how to shake them either in the car or by costume changes. Gabe also address car jackings and to avoid them.

It's a great book and I'd recommend it for anyone who drives or rides in a car.