PDA

View Full Version : how do you test expansion

aerochris
04-17-2004, 06:30 PM
Today I took some ammo to the range. I had a 12" cube cardboard box that was filled with soaked newspapers. I compressed the papers as well as I could.

I shot it with an HK Expert .45. The first round was a Corbon 165gr HP. It looked like it stayed in the box. Next was an Extreme Shock It looked like it stayed in too. Then the 185gr Golden Sabers went right through the box. As did the .40 S&W Black Talons from a Beretta 96. I finally got a Black Talon to stick and called it a day.

When I came back home to collect my rounds, all I found was a few fragments of lead, quite a few bits of jacket and the expanded Black Talon.

Does anyone have a better way to test these rounds for expansion? I can't seem to get any ballistic gelatin. I hear it is pretty expensive too.

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
CF

glock22fan
04-18-2004, 01:57 PM
If you are just wanting to recover expanded bullets the milk jug method works every time. Take 6 gallon milk jugs filled with water and tape the tops on, line them up, and blast away. Good for a couple of shots only, but produces picture perfect expanded bullets.Be sure to bring alot of jugs, they go fast! I hope this helps

Kris

Anthony
04-18-2004, 02:22 PM
A variation on glock22fan's suggestion is a swimming pool.
I've shot alot of bullets into my company's swimming pool, & then cooled off in the heat, snorkelling to the bottom to recover the expanded bullets.
Remember to aim steeply downward to avoid any chance of the bullet richochaying. Count your rounds fired to be sure you recover all. A mushroomed bullet has a sharp edge which will cut the foot of the unexpecting swimmer/bather. :eek:

Regards,
Anthony.

aerochris
04-19-2004, 04:42 PM
Thanks everyone! I just got back from the range and I have some really nice expansions. I've always wanted to do this!

Thank you,
Chris